Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Stupid rail question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Stupid rail question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stupid rail question - 2/21/2011 5:12:33 PM   
McHarg

Hi all,

I am new to game, and to forums. Please forgive ignorant questions ahead of time. As a general observation I love the look of the game, it does have a steep learning curve, and I am currently on that. Right now my problem is using rail in the tutorial game. I posted over in Tech, and 2nd ACR suggested I post here.

I am soviet, playing against AI. I want to move via rail. I hit f2, get into rail mode. Rules say right click unit to entrain, then right click the hex you want to move to. When I right click to entrain, the unit is deselected. 2nd ACR suggests just select unit, then hit f2, then right click to move. This has the same effect of deselecting the unit. I have checked, and the hex I am in and want to move to has no damage. I have more rail capacity than the unit takes to move. Any thoughts? Has anyone successfully used rail in the tutorial?

Thanks again for any suggestions.

Grahcm
Post #: 1
RE: Stupid rail question - 2/21/2011 5:37:40 PM   
cookie monster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grahcm

Hi all,

I am new to game, and to forums. Please forgive ignorant questions ahead of time. As a general observation I love the look of the game, it does have a steep learning curve, and I am currently on that. Right now my problem is using rail in the tutorial game. I posted over in Tech, and 2nd ACR suggested I post here.

I am soviet, playing against AI. I want to move via rail. I hit f2, get into rail mode. Rules say right click unit to entrain, then right click the hex you want to move to. When I right click to entrain, the unit is deselected. 2nd ACR suggests just select unit, then hit f2, then right click to move. This has the same effect of deselecting the unit. I have checked, and the hex I am in and want to move to has no damage. I have more rail capacity than the unit takes to move. Any thoughts? Has anyone successfully used rail in the tutorial?

Thanks again for any suggestions.

Grahcm

5.3.2.1. GROUND UNIT STRATEGIC RAIL MOVEMENT
Summary: Left click to select, right click
to entrain and move, left click in unit bar or
select movement mode (F1) to detrain.

On page 64 of the ebook it says the rules.

You have finger trouble. Its says left click to select right click to entrain and move.

so left click to select in f2 mode, then right click destination hex.

Simple....

(in reply to McHarg)
Post #: 2
RE: Stupid rail question - 2/21/2011 5:39:18 PM   
2ndACR

I also answered in tech forum.

Select unit and right click the destination. Make sure you are in rail mode before selecting the unit.

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 3
RE: Stupid rail question - 2/21/2011 6:34:47 PM   
McHarg

I must be an idiot. I have two reinforcement units in x=90, Y=42 in the veli Luki tutorial. I do the following.

1) Neither is selected
2) I go to f2 (rail mode)
3) I select the units. I can deselect by the way to one unit.
4) I try to right click a destination as you said. No matter what hex I pick, the unit (or units) are deselected.

I think I am doing what both of you said to do, and it just does not work. Can you see what I am doing wrong? Does the tutorial perhaps have rail turned off?

thanks again

Grahcm

< Message edited by Grahcm -- 2/21/2011 6:35:03 PM >

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 4
RE: Stupid rail question - 2/21/2011 6:38:59 PM   
2ndACR

You look like you are doing it right. Do the units say unready? Unready units cannot rail.

(in reply to McHarg)
Post #: 5
RE: Stupid rail question - 2/21/2011 6:46:03 PM   
McHarg

Well, a picture being worth a thousand words, here is what I see.

I do not see anything that says unready. Do you?

thanks

G

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 6
RE: Stupid rail question - 2/21/2011 6:50:08 PM   
2ndACR

Can you change the refit to anything else? If not, those units are still frozen after being destroyed and have not been "released" to you yet.

Also, check your arrival log, see if it says those units have arrived. If not, they are not released yet.

< Message edited by 2ndACR -- 2/21/2011 6:53:27 PM >

(in reply to McHarg)
Post #: 7
RE: Stupid rail question - 2/21/2011 7:04:32 PM   
McHarg

Well these are reinforcements, I can click on that air unit just north, and it does not say refit on it, and I can't move it either. I also found I can click on the little box that says refit, and cycle through to get it to say ready. I still can't move them via rail when I do this.

I searched through the screens, and the rules, for something called arrival log, and can't find anything. Does that have another name? Under the info screens tab I found an event log, but that does not have anything in it that I see.

thanks

G

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 8
RE: Stupid rail question - 2/21/2011 7:09:31 PM   
2ndACR

Top circle is the the one you click on to get this report. Bottom circle is where it will say the unit is now available for assignment.

I have not done the tutorial, so am just going by regular game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to McHarg)
Post #: 9
RE: Stupid rail question - 2/21/2011 7:13:23 PM   
Senno

It's been a couple months since I played the VL scenario. But as I recall, I had difficulty entraining units in that scenario specifically as well. I'm not sure why, and never got an answer here. It's not just you though. Load up any other short scenario, and you can entrain. Just not in the VL scenario....

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 10
RE: Stupid rail question - 2/21/2011 7:22:32 PM   
2ndACR

Joel just posted in the tech forum saying the tutorial has limited rail capacity. He could rail a brigade, but not a div.

You only have 1775 rail points avail (upper right corner of your screenshot) so probably not enough to move divisions.

(in reply to Senno)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Stupid rail question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI