Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Online vs Pbem

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Online vs Pbem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Online vs Pbem - 9/11/2002 7:29:30 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Competing view points.

Well I have played Pbem now. It was fun (even though I got slagged).

But the part where I don't like Pbem comes from how I don't see anything of opponents turn and repercussions ie, where did that unit go (mine that is). I start my turn, and units are missing and no reason why is visible (is there a way of seeing the turn past that I don't know of?).

I played a bit of Online the other day.
Dreadfully slow (well maybe that is subjective, it didn't really bother me a lot, but I suspect it might to others).
I did like how I was able to send chat messages to my opponent during the actual course of the game. And the game plays just like I was playing it normally ie I can see the turn resolve although a thinking opponent is at the helm not an AI.

Any comments out there?

And yes I am aware of H2H. Comments on H2H are welcome here as comparison with Pbem andf Online mode.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Post #: 1
- 9/11/2002 7:43:36 PM   
JediMessiah

as for pbem, there is a lil button called vcr playback at the bottow right over the map that lets you see the last turn

as for online, i like it better because you can control your own opfire and chat with your opponent

-jedimessiah

"Karate means never having to say you're sorry"
-E. Andrew Kovich

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 2
Pbem vs online - 9/11/2002 7:54:07 PM   
Drex

I don't know if I understand Les, there is a VCR replay light at the bottom that you click on to see the opponent's turn. I can't play online because it takes too much non-stop time at the computer. I have too many interruptions (my wife) to allow me to play for hours on end. But it is intense and I have enjoyed it when I used to play online. Still I get more games played with pbem. I can play ten games at once if I want.

Post #: 3
- 9/11/2002 8:15:04 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Thanks for the vcr function comment. I knew of it, just never used it before, was not fully sure it was employed that way (hey some people are just not the push the red button sort heheh).

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 4
- 9/11/2002 8:30:14 PM   
Katana

Haven't tried online yet, but have done it with some other games.
Biggest problem is not so much me staring at a screen for 4-5 hrs. it's finding someone else able to do the same at the same time. Especially when most potential opponents are in different time zones.

FABRICATE DIEM, PVNC

Post #: 5
- 9/11/2002 8:58:38 PM   
OKW-73

heheh..without vcr pbem games are almost impossible to win...it did take a bit time to notice it, but now i know its very important to do first when start playing turn or otherwise you are pretty much doomed! ;)

Personally i dont like online games...too much hassle and you have to move units too quickly because time limit...for me spwaw is more like chess ;) i like to do my turns and decisions in peace :)

"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

Post #: 6
- 9/13/2002 10:37:13 PM   
campekenobi

[QUOTE]Originally posted by OKW-73
[B]i like to do my turns and decisions in peace :) [/B][/QUOTE]

[B]THAT IS THE KEY![/B] For me, if I want WWII top view on line action, I'll play [B]Close Combat[/B], the very reason I LOVE Panthers is I can take my time to strategize, evaluate, and focus on one small group at a time, or right-click an enemy tank & read his armor points without feeling guilty holding up the clock, etc... sure, war is really more chaotic and all-at-once, but I have enough [I]pressure[/I] in my own life, that I want to enjoy every bullet fired at my enemy. I've been playing PBEM for years, and just tried on line this past week and not only got toasted, but didn't enjoy it at all. Grant it, if you change the TURN TIME setting to a longer time (I had 15 sec, then 3 min) to say, 15 min per turn, it would be a step closer to PBEM, but defeats the purpose, I think, of online play... and who wants to read CHAT messages DURING their turn as the clock is ticking? If you want to make comments, EMAIL your comments with your turn! :-)

I vote PBEM!

Post #: 7
- 9/15/2002 10:33:21 PM   
ruxius

PBEM for sure ! I too like chess , and PBEM gives me chess-like
environment... vcr button is very important
Online never tried too much...I can't stay online waiting too much doing nothing while the opponent is moving..
however online play should be improved as it allows more players to play togheter a tournament or an hotset play...

there should be given something to do while the second player is moving ...that way one player will not become bored for long waiting...
real-time..I don't like them because too little time for thinking..
I was hoping spwaw's online play was a way in the middle between real-time and PBEM

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Online vs Pbem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI