Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Tiller Game Panzer Battles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> New Tiller Game Panzer Battles Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Tiller Game Panzer Battles - 10/26/2010 5:06:17 AM   
junk2drive

Sorry if this has been brought up before

http://johntillersoftware.com/PanzerBattles.html

< Message edited by junk2drive -- 8/3/2013 6:17:39 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: New Tiller Game - 10/27/2010 9:47:12 PM   
markw

I've been enjoying his Spanish Civil War squad battles, not nearly as good as the Campaign Series but fun in its own right.

This will be interesting to see how this game plays out. Hopefully he'll be designing in something other than Windows 98 forms.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 2
RE: New Tiller Game - 10/28/2010 2:09:21 AM   
jomni

I suspect this will be the same as Squad Battles and Panzer Campaigns but on platoon level units.
It will model each weapon and person instead of 'steps' like JTCS. 
Since it says that it will focus on tank battles, it will probably be like Steel Panthers 3...

(in reply to markw)
Post #: 3
RE: New Tiller Game - 10/28/2010 2:18:11 AM   
junk2drive

The only way a game should focus on armour battles is single units on the screen. Telling me a platoon is facing a certain way is one stretch, telling me a company or battalion or more is all facing the same is silly.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 4
RE: New Tiller Game - 12/3/2010 2:57:32 PM   
junk2drive

Big news today. JT is self publishing. He has a store with DD. There is a small shot of Panzer Battles. It looks like JTCS with the Panzer Campaigns interface.

It will be interesting to see what he comes up with compared to the team here. I'll bet that Jason and team are more open to our suggestions.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 5
RE: New Tiller Game - 12/3/2010 4:17:54 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive
I'll bet that Jason and team are more open to our suggestions.

Thank you, junk.

That is appreciated.

Jason Petho

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 6
RE: New Tiller Game - 12/3/2010 9:40:25 PM   
berto

quote:

Big news today. JT is self publishing. He has a store with DD. There is a small shot of Panzer Battles. It looks like JTCS with the Panzer Campaigns interface.

It will be interesting to see what he comes up with compared to the team here. I'll bet that Jason and team are more open to our suggestions.

From the hostile response (and essential non-response from Jason) I got here recently to some of my suggestions, I kinda doubt it. What a turnoff!

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 7
RE: New Tiller Game - 12/3/2010 9:51:30 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto
From the hostile response (and essential non-response from Jason) I got here recently to some of my suggestions, I kinda doubt it. What a turnoff!

Huh?

Jason Petho

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 8
RE: New Tiller Game - 12/3/2010 11:26:35 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

quote:

Huh?

Jason Petho

I refer to the wishlist thread, where I suggested

• an explicit hot-seat solitaire (with extreme FOW) option [no response AFAIK]
  • games ending in an unpredictable, variable number of turns [no response AFAIK]
  • at game's formal end, having the option to play on [response: edit the save game file. huh? i have to delve into the mysteries of the save game file in order to enable this? when it would be so much easier simply not to abruptly terminate the game at that point?]

John Tiller's more recent HPS games have the first two options, and may or may not have the third (I would have to check).

Those suggestions (for optional rules!) were not well received within the community, to say the least.

Not to mention another forumite's suggestions to overlay more realistic command control onto the game and add to the game's realism. And the subsequent hostile, juvenile response of a few people around here (excepting you, Jason; you are always respectful and polite; but I don't recall your responding to his suggestions either).

The impression I get here is that the CS game community is happy to freeze the game more or less as it's always been, to heck with innovation and offering reasonable new optional rules.

Again, what a turnoff!

The Campaign Series of games used to be high up on my list of played, must-buy games. No more.

Their new DRM policy aside (it sucks), John Tiller Software's imminent new Panzer Battles series (akin to his earlier Campaign Series) is beginning to look like a much more attractive alternative.

Choice is good. Nice to have so many other alternatives. Nice to be able to walk away from this forum and take my business elsewhere...

[Please excuse my grumpiness. JT Software's new DRM policy has left me in an especially foul mood today. Where's our cat so I can go kick her too? ]

< Message edited by berto -- 12/4/2010 12:00:44 AM >

Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 9
RE: New Tiller Game - 12/4/2010 12:44:26 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

• There is a hot-seat option where you can turn on extreme FOW, so I don't understand what you are asking for. Can you clarify?

quote:

• games ending in an unpredictable, variable number of turns [no response AFAIK]

• An interesting idea and one that has been floating around since the Talonsoft days. As a temporary alternative, you can edit to the BTE to extend the game if you wish to play a little longer. No, it isn't the same thing, but does provide some options.

quote:

• at game's formal end, having the option to play on [response: edit the save game file. huh? i have to delve into the mysteries of the save game file in order to enable this? when it would be so much easier simply not to abruptly terminate the game at that point?]

• Yes, it would be much easier to have the option to continue or not. Manually editing the BTE is a temporary alternate solution until something like that could be implemented. If you would like to know how to do so, I can tell you offline.

It is simple suggestions like that that are taken note of and added to the Master Wishlist. Reasonably, just because it makes it onto the Master Wishlist doesn't mean it will be implemented anytime soon.

quote:

John Tiller's more recent HPS games have the first two options, and may or may not have the third (I would have to check).

Those suggestions (for optional rules!) were not well received within the community, to say the least.

Not many liked the idea that the Earth was round when it was first proposed, but the idea was presented anyway. That is the primary purpose of the "wishlist" thread, for people to bring forth their ideas, no matter how off the wall or bizarre they may be. There are a lot of gems out there and that's what I'm looking for.

quote:

Not to mention another forumite's suggestions to overlay more realistic command control onto the game and add to the game's realism. And the subsequent hostile, juvenile response of a few people around here (excepting you, Jason; you are always respectful and polite; but I don't recall your responding to his suggestions either).

Two significant changes on my wishlist (yes, I have one too) are an improved command and control structure and improved artillery model. Does everyone like that idea? Nope and I understand the reasons why not. Being a moderator has taught me to let a lot of the hostility and juvenile behavoir wash over, it just isn't worth it to become embroiled in the arguements.

Thank you for the kind words.

quote:

The impression I get here is that the CS game community is happy to freeze the game more or less as it's always been, to heck with innovation and offering reasonable new optional rules.

Not everyone is open to change, no. On the brightside, many others are open to change and are embracing the new optional rules that have been released so far. Additionally, not everyone uses the game the same as everyone else.

May there be other optional rules in the future? Quite possibly, yes. What will they be? Who knows... there isn't anything on the drawing boards right now for new optional rules due to the primary focus being on Modern Wars: Volume I. I am so excited about this release!

quote:

Again, what a turnoff!

The Campaign Series of games used to be high up on my list of played, must-buy games. No more.

Due to the nature of how some of the threads have played out, yes, I can see how it can be a turn off. I apologize to you for letting things get out of hand.

quote:

Their new DRM policy aside (it sucks), John Tiller Software's imminent new Panzer Battles series (akin to his earlier Campaign Series) is beginning to look like a much more attractive alternative.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the new DRM policy? Whose policy?

quote:

Choice is good. Nice to have so many other alternatives. Nice to be able to walk away from this forum and take my business elsewhere...

Yes, choice is good. Variety is the spice of life. It would be unfortunate to see you go, of course.

quote:

[Please excuse my grumpiness. JT Software's new DRM policy has left me in an especially foul mood today. Where's our cat so I can go kick her too? ]

No worries, berto.

Jason Petho

< Message edited by Jason Petho -- 12/4/2010 12:45:14 AM >

(in reply to berto)
    Post #: 10
    RE: New Tiller Game - 12/4/2010 1:00:19 AM   
    V22 Osprey

Jason, John Tiller himself is now splitting off from HPS and publishing his own games. However, the games now have a DRM where you can only install on one computer with online activation. Pretty sad to say the least.

Art by rogueusmc.

Post #: 11
    RE: New Tiller Game - 12/4/2010 2:45:41 AM   
    dudalb_slith

Yeah, the DRM is a deal breaker for me.
    I would love to know what happened between Tiller and HPS that lead to this.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
    Post #: 12
    RE: New Tiller Game - 12/4/2010 2:20:12 PM   
    berto

quote:

quote:

• There is a hot-seat option where you can turn on extreme FOW, so I don't understand what you are asking for. Can you clarify?

Duh, you are right. Wish (already) fulfilled!

The Campaign Series is one of those set aside for a couple of years but always come back to games. I forget details.

Thank you for your patient and respectful response. Happy holidays!

Post #: 13
    RE: New Tiller Game - 12/4/2010 4:28:18 PM   
    sabre1

Thanks Jason for keeping such a wonderful game alive without the stupid DRM restrictions of other companies. Have a very Merry Christmas!

(in reply to berto)
    Post #: 14
    RE: New Tiller Game - 12/4/2010 11:28:10 PM   
    junk2drive

Having spent much time in the various places where JT's store policy is being discussed so to speak, it occurred to me that the new CS, I mean PC, will probably consist of one map with a bunch of scenarios covering a section of a war. So instead of getting the value of JTCS and the Modern series here, you can buy release after release after release...

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to sabre1)
    Post #: 15
    RE: New Tiller Game - 1/29/2011 4:24:31 PM   
    berto

quote:

quote:

I tried verifying this. In Rising Sun, I load any scenario, choose Manual/Manual (hot-seat solitaire) for A/I Selection, then check Extreme Fog-of-War under Optional Rules. Yet on game start, and from turn to turn, I can view all forces on both sides. Where is the FOW?

What I want is to play one side, then the other; but to partially view the opposing side as if I were playing against the "Computer with FOW"--i.e., where most of "my opponent's" forces are hidden.

Are you sure this is working as intended? (Can you verify correct operation yourself?) Or where am I mistaken?

(in reply to berto)
    Post #: 16
    RE: New Tiller Game - 1/29/2011 7:37:52 PM   
    Jason Petho

Hi berto

Try this:

Open the game

Start Scenario

Hot Seat

Choose a scenario

Choose your optional rules

It should start as the first side: "Ready for Axis Player" or "Ready for Allied Player"

Jason Petho

(in reply to berto)
    Post #: 17
    RE: New Tiller Game - 1/29/2011 8:22:46 PM   
    berto

quote:

Hi berto

Try this:

Open the game

Start Scenario

Hot Seat

Choose a scenario

Choose your optional rules

It should start as the first side: "Ready for Axis Player" or "Ready for Allied Player"

Jason Petho

Got it. I'm so used to playing Tiller's other HPS titles where this option is now presented somewhat differently. I have to reopen my eyes to his earlier way of doing things. Sorry to trouble you (again).

Post #: 18
    RE: New Tiller Game - 1/29/2011 8:28:01 PM   
    Jason Petho

Not a bother at all, berto!

Glad it is figured out!

Jason Petho

(in reply to berto)
    Post #: 19
    RE: New Tiller Game - 2/28/2011 8:16:55 PM   
    markw

quote:

Curious, where can I see this screenshot?

thanks.

-mark

< Message edited by markw -- 2/28/2011 8:17:43 PM >

(in reply to junk2drive)
    Post #: 20
    RE: New Tiller Game - 2/28/2011 8:18:31 PM   
    junk2drive

DD means digital download.

Edit, you mean PB. Click the store, click wargames

(in reply to markw)
    Post #: 21
    RE: New Tiller Game - 2/28/2011 8:18:55 PM   
    markw

Nevermind, found it, sorry for the confusion.

< Message edited by markw -- 2/28/2011 8:21:19 PM >

(in reply to junk2drive)
    Post #: 22
    RE: New Tiller Game - 6/1/2011 8:41:09 PM   
    general_solomon

hello, is there anymore news on this title? nothing on the website except a small screenshot.

(in reply to markw)
    Post #: 23
    RE: New Tiller Game - 8/3/2013 6:06:59 AM   
    junk2drive

Because I am on call and bored at the moment, I thought I'd drag up this oldie but goodie.

Hey look above, there is berto!

Meanwhile...

January at the wargamer someone asks about PB

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=585574

A reply in April by Strela

quote:

The Panzer Battles series is definitely being worked on. It is between Squad Battles and Panzer Campaigns and uses some of the best features of both. Expect some very positive things in the graphics department....

The dev team have made a lot of progress recently after a long hiatus.... Be patient, it will be worth it.

Then a post at the blitz by Strela July 29

http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=64679&pid=378990#pid378990

quote:

I am involved with JTS (not HPS) and am here on almost a daily basis. If you have any specific questions I will assist where I can.

What I will say is that we do monitor the various forums and have our spies out who let us know if we have missed anything :) We do follow all the threads and changes have been made to the code to reflect players suggestions and wishes.

As far as letting you know what's coming next - it's a very deliberate decision not to do that. Why, you ask? Because every publically released game is done by a part time developer. The only games John Tiller does himself are usually classified and released to the military. All the games you see that are supported by these forums are done by part time hobbyists. These hobbyists have real lives, real jobs and a limited amount of time they can allocate to game design. Ultimately that means games can take anywhere from 18 months to 10 years to release! By not announcing what we are working on prevents the hype getting out of control.

John Tiller had one experience where he 'pre-announced' a new series (Panzer Battles) back in 2009 by putting it up on his website. The game was almost complete and just needed maybe 3 - 6 months more work and it was expected to be released pretty quickly. Post the announcement the designer went on sabbatical and shelved the game due to a lack of time. As a result of the pre-announcement, John and Rich field almost daily requests for Panzer Battles. Now lets be clear, that title (and series) is not dead, but it requires either the original designer to return or another to pick the project up (and subsequently delay whatever they were working on).

What I will say is that there are a heap of titles being worked on covering every game series John has released - what we don't have is a clear schedule (or demand) of dates to release titles on.

Finally, I think many people have missed a very significant development of late. John Tiller has released Modern Air Power (MAP) for tablets including Android, iPad and Kindle. John has a very robust engine that works across all his game series - if he can do it for MAP, I expect we will see it for some if not the whole range of his game series. For more info go to the official John Tiller Software site.

So JTS is not dead, just driven by folks who put all their time into creating games for you guys (and not enough time playing them!!!).

David

Which someone posted a link to in the wargamer thread. Which received this reply by Strela

quote:

Please reread my note posted in the thread here. Panzer Battles is being worked on currently.

As I was the one who posted in the other thread, I used the comment about sabbaticals as an example of the challenges with official release cycles. Please do not infer that it means there is not work ongoing on Panzer Battles. We are fortunate that there is more than one designer available for the series.

David

So which are we going to see first, berto's improved JTCS or Strela's JTPB?

(in reply to general_solomon)
    Post #: 24
    RE: New Tiller Game - 8/3/2013 12:01:24 PM   
    berto

quote:

So which are we going to see first, berto's improved JTCS or Strela's JTPB?

Please remember that JTCS is a team effort, and that I am just one member of Jason's team. I code; they don't. They develop OOBs, maps, scenarios, artwork, documentation, etc.; I don't. Code and data -- it wouldn't be a game without both.

(in reply to junk2drive)
    Post #: 25
    RE: New Tiller Game - 8/3/2013 12:30:50 PM   
    LoneWulf63

Since I am making new maps for JTCS, my vote would be JTCS.

In loving memory of my wife, Rebecca. 5/2/52 to 7/13/2014. I miss you sweetheart.

(in reply to berto)
    Post #: 26
    RE: New Tiller Game - 8/3/2013 2:31:40 PM   
    junk2drive

Yes berto I know what you are saying. I appreciate what the team does.

However the work on MW and 1.05 (and some games that I have worked on) came to a stop when the team lost its coder. I frequently see posts at other websites from dreamers that want to make a game. All they need is someone that can write the code.

The orchestra needs a conductor. It needs musicians. But without the composer to write the music it is noise.

Reminds me of the joke about the brain and heart fighting about who is the boss. Then the a hole steps in and wins.

I am pleased with what I see you do and propose. I hope it gets out the door first.

(in reply to LoneWulf63)
    Post #: 27
    RE: New Tiller Game - 8/3/2013 5:10:41 PM   
    berto

quote:

The orchestra needs a conductor. It needs musicians. But without the composer to write the music it is noise.

In all humility, I'm more like a song writer attempting to reorchestrate Wagner's Ring Cycle. My meager efforts (so far) tweaking the Campaign Series pale in comparison to what John Tiller had accomplished. (Although my Open Source project, PIKT -- see the second line of my sig -- is no mean achievement.)

But, yes, your Everyday Joe (Programmer) can't do this. I always laugh when I read uninformed forum opinion like:

• "You don't like it? Write your own game."
  • "Maybe I can help with the coding?"
  • "How hard can it be for a replacement coder to pick up where the other left off?"

To which I think:

• You have no idea of the difficulty.
  • Um, maybe not. (Too many cooks spoil the soup.)
  • Very hard.

Thanks for the kind words. Back to work...

(in reply to junk2drive)
  • Post #: 28
    RE: New Tiller Game - 8/3/2013 5:48:21 PM   
    LoneWulf63

Berto. I agree with you 100%. I wouldn't even think of asking to help with the coding of JTCS, even if I knew how. So, I will continue making the maps for this fine simulation of World War II platoon level operations. In time, I will also get into making both historical and some hypothetical ORGs and scenarios. But back to you. Without you, whether you consider yourself as the songwriter or the composer, the rest of us would not be able to do what we do and this game would fade away. Many thanks from an old war-gamer to you. Chris.

In loving memory of my wife, Rebecca. 5/2/52 to 7/13/2014. I miss you sweetheart.

(in reply to berto)
    Post #: 29
    RE: New Tiller Game - 8/3/2013 10:30:06 PM   
    junk2drive

I reread the whole thread last night. My imagination visualized Jason reading Robert's posts and thinking "if you think it is so easy, why don't you code these things". Time will tell if he does.

(in reply to LoneWulf63)
    Post #: 30
    Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> New Tiller Game Panzer Battles Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI