Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Partisan whack-a-mole

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Partisan whack-a-mole Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Partisan whack-a-mole - 3/6/2011 1:29:47 AM   
pat.casey

I'd like automated anti-partisan activity, just like the automated rail repair.
It gets frustrating spending 2 minutes per turn running around whacking partisans.
Post #: 1
RE: Partisan whack-a-mole - 3/6/2011 1:40:52 AM   
cookie monster

I hope your meeting your town/city garrison requirements

Partisans can also be created thru shattered soviet units

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 2
RE: Partisan whack-a-mole - 3/6/2011 1:56:17 AM   
pat.casey

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

Currently I'm playing the stock 1942 scenario which starts with partisans all over the place.
Moving next to them just displaces them, and then I have to do the same thing over and over again in a few turns when they recover.

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 3
RE: Partisan whack-a-mole - 3/6/2011 1:57:16 AM   
Senno

I would support garrisons having an area (smallish) that the whack-a-mole can be assumed to have been conducted automatically. But those some indeterminate longish distance away in forests and other good cover you should have to go after.

It would save me some clicks.

And actually I wonder why the Luftwaffe HQ's and other HQ's don't seem to have a security component? Should they count as garrison in town they are in?

I garrison religiously. But they still do pop up, usually for me 10+ hexes from nowhere, haha.

Post #: 4
RE: Partisan whack-a-mole - 3/6/2011 2:23:42 AM   
cookie monster

quote:

ORIGINAL: pat.casey

quote:

Currently I'm playing the stock 1942 scenario which starts with partisans all over the place.
Moving next to them just displaces them, and then I have to do the same thing over and over again in a few turns when they recover.

Someone posted a map and it showed that partisans were in control of everything 50 miles behind the front line

Yes the 42 scenario has partisans everywhere. Sounds historic.

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 5
RE: Partisan whack-a-mole - 3/6/2011 3:03:53 AM   
pat.casey

quote:

quote:

quote:

Someone posted a map and it showed that partisans were in control of everything 50 miles behind the front line

Yes the 42 scenario has partisans everywhere. Sounds historic.

I've no useful opinion as to whether it was historic or not.

My complaint is that its too much pointless micromangement.

If the AI can rebuild the rail net without my intervention, it should be able to do counterpartisan warfare as well if I tell it to.

Post #: 6
RE: Partisan whack-a-mole - 3/6/2011 4:59:11 AM   
Farfarer61

I was going to post that I leave 3 regiments entrained all the time to whip around whacking partisans, plus the garrisons, then I realized when Iget there to whack them the AI has already sent Construction Bots, so I decided you were right. Perhaps just elect to send a unit into the anti-partisan pool like a support unit and be doenwith it.

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 7
RE: Partisan whack-a-mole - 3/6/2011 5:01:31 AM   
NinetyNine

quote:

If the AI can rebuild the rail net without my intervention, it should be able to do counterpartisan warfare as well if I tell it to.

It's a valid point. You should be able to set policing levels for rear areas. It would draw manpower, etc, and turn the annoying partisan hunt into an abstraction of resource drain. They could still cut rail lines, but would not then sit there and required you to hunt each unit down.

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 8
RE: Partisan whack-a-mole - 3/6/2011 1:15:16 PM   
Blond_Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinetyNine

quote:

It's a valid point. You should be able to set policing levels for rear areas. It would draw manpower, etc, and turn the annoying partisan hunt into an abstraction of resource drain. They could still cut rail lines, but would not then sit there and required you to hunt each unit down.

+1

(in reply to NinetyNine)
Post #: 9
RE: Partisan whack-a-mole - 3/6/2011 1:41:32 PM   
alfonso

quote:

But beware that the AI is not very efficient when rebuilding the rail net...you need your "manual" rail units to do it "intelligently"

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 10
RE: Partisan whack-a-mole - 3/6/2011 1:58:03 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: alfonso

quote:

But beware that the AI is not very efficient when rebuilding the rail net...you need your "manual" rail units to do it "intelligently"

I would support AI doing basic anti-partisan work, just like it carries out rail repair and just like rail repair, you will still need units under player control to tidy up after the AI, or work in priority areas.

(in reply to alfonso)
Post #: 11
RE: Partisan whack-a-mole - 3/6/2011 2:50:11 PM   
pat.casey

quote:

ORIGINAL: alfonso

quote:

I think that's axiomatic; the AI will not do as well as a human. I could do better than the AI rail repair routine too, but most of the time it does "well enough" and I retain the option to use my on-map rail repair resources to tidy up its mistakes as well.

Same thing would/should be true of partisan cleanup. I'd expect the AI to do a tolerable job and I'd the probably have to occasionally intervene manually to fix things up.

(in reply to alfonso)
Post #: 12
RE: Partisan whack-a-mole - 3/6/2011 4:17:37 PM   
Altaris

I like the idea that partisans generate over time in an abstracted pool, and being able to pull units off the line into an abstracted anti-partisan pool. Basically accomplishes the same thing, with far, far less micromanaging.

Something like each turn, based on whatever partisan generation rules are, a certain number of Soviet partisans get added into the partisan pool. The Germans need a certain amount of troops in anti-partisan duty to meet this. If that number isn't met, depending on the gap, a certain amount of rail will get damaged.

This might even be something that units are not needed for, but rather manpower out of the manpower pool. After all, wasn't most of the garrisoning and anti-partisan duty done by specialized units, not the army?

< Message edited by Altaris -- 3/6/2011 4:20:21 PM >

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 13
RE: Partisan whack-a-mole - 3/6/2011 5:05:19 PM   
pat.casey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Altaris

<snip>

This might even be something that units are not needed for, but rather manpower out of the manpower pool. After all, wasn't most of the garrisoning and anti-partisan duty done by specialized units, not the army?

In the east, the Germans generally used second tier troops for garrison work. Ost troops, foreign conscripts, prisoner battalions, etc.

They often used very high quality troops for anti-partisan sweeps though; it was considered a decent "tune up" for units coming off a rest or refit.

(in reply to Altaris)
Post #: 14
RE: Partisan whack-a-mole - 3/7/2011 12:27:24 AM   
Farfarer61

Make their night supply missions and rail attacks 100% manual only and see how quickly agreement is reached to automate the whole thing.

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 15
RE: Partisan whack-a-mole - 3/7/2011 1:33:09 AM   
jomni

The way I see it, the garrison requirement is the automated anti-partisan thinngy we're looking for.

(in reply to Farfarer61)
Post #: 16
RE: Partisan whack-a-mole - 3/7/2011 2:33:25 AM   
Michael T

I hate having to muck around with partisans. I would rather see a direct relationship between the lack of 100% garrisons and a proportional loss of rail cap/global supply/reinforcement delay. I like the pool idea too. The inclusion of the partisan war in any east front game is my pet hate. Sure factor in the effects but leave out the tedium of it all.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Partisan whack-a-mole Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI