Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question on ground combat odds.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Question on ground combat odds. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question on ground combat odds. - 3/7/2011 8:50:53 PM   
pacificbetta

Have a question on AV combat odds, I cannot seem to find the explanation in the manual. To my understanding (and also a lot of guesswork), adjusted AV is based on the following:

Adjusted AV = Base AV * Terrain * Prep * Fort * Exp (did I leave any other factors out?)

Base AV: Well, just the basic AV that the unit has
Terrain" Terrain modifier for defender, 1 for attacker
Prep: 100% prep = x2, 50% prep = x1, 0% = x0.5 (pure guess work on my side)
Fort: Obviously higher forts = greater modifer for defenders, but can someone provide some measuring stick? eg @ level 2/4/6/9, what are the modifiers?

Now, obviously some of the above are guesswork, I really appreaciate it if someone will step in and provide more information, thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Question on ground combat odds. - 3/7/2011 9:05:12 PM   
Nikademus

combat formulas are, as a rule, not disclosed to the general public to discourage gaming of the system.

sorry.

(in reply to pacificbetta)
Post #: 2
RE: Question on ground combat odds. - 3/7/2011 9:23:44 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: pacificbetta

Have a question on AV combat odds, I cannot seem to find the explanation in the manual. To my understanding (and also a lot of guesswork), adjusted AV is based on the following:

Adjusted AV = Base AV * Terrain * Prep * Fort * Exp (did I leave any other factors out?)

Base AV: Well, just the basic AV that the unit has
Terrain" Terrain modifier for defender, 1 for attacker
Prep: 100% prep = x2, 50% prep = x1, 0% = x0.5 (pure guess work on my side)
Fort: Obviously higher forts = greater modifer for defenders, but can someone provide some measuring stick? eg @ level 2/4/6/9, what are the modifiers?

Now, obviously some of the above are guesswork, I really appreaciate it if someone will step in and provide more information, thanks in advance.

More guesswork: leadership, HQs, land skill, fatigue, disruption, formation, detection level, shock attack, the phase of the moon . Terrain is up to 4x. Preparation depends on what location you're preparing for. Fortification appears to be a marginal increase (x fort level/3?), but protects against being pushed out of the hex. Experience appears to be a parameter used in a Bernoulli draw between a couple of multipliers. Leadership and HQs are also Bernoulli as is probably land skill. Fatigue, disruption, and formation appear to be multipliers. Detection level affects target acquisition during the firepower phase. Shock attack doubles the final AV.

AV isn't that important. What is important is casualty causation during the firepower phase. My rule of thumb is that firepower superiority of 1.5-1 or better going in, taking into account the multipliers for a shock attack, will improve your AV superiority coming out. I don't use deliberate attacks, but I suspect a higher superiority is needed then to improve the AV ratio.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to pacificbetta)
Post #: 3
RE: Question on ground combat odds. - 3/7/2011 10:05:35 PM   
crsutton

It is more than just that. A Japanese tank regiment attacking a Chinese infantry unit may end up attacking at 1-6 odds. However, in the end only the Chinese unit takes losses as there are no AT assets in Chinese infantry units. Likewise a Allied tank regiment with sherman tanks will easily beat a Japanese tank regiment with it usual assortment of craptacular vehicles. Devices and squad type are important and don't necessarily get counted in the when looking at the AV.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Question on ground combat odds. - 3/7/2011 11:41:26 PM   
topeverest

You'd have a better chance at figuring out the Flux Capacitor...but seriously...you get a feel for general odds after a run around the bush.

Andy M

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5
RE: Question on ground combat odds. - 3/8/2011 7:57:22 AM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

It is more than just that. A Japanese tank regiment attacking a Chinese infantry unit may end up attacking at 1-6 odds. However, in the end only the Chinese unit takes losses as there are no AT assets in Chinese infantry units. Likewise a Allied tank regiment with sherman tanks will easily beat a Japanese tank regiment with it usual assortment of craptacular vehicles. Devices and squad type are important and don't necessarily get counted in the when looking at the AV.

I run into that quite a bit. Usually, the Japanese tank regiment has no accompanying infantry, which means in reality that it's vulnerable to close assault, lacks target acquisition assets to cover more than the frontal arc, and lacks the engineers it needs to clear roadblocks and move off the road. As a USMC major once explained to me: "It's fun and easy to kill tanks."

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 6
RE: Question on ground combat odds. - 3/8/2011 7:59:08 AM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: topeverest

You'd have a better chance at figuring out the Flux Capacitor...but seriously...you get a feel for general odds after a run around the bush.

Just keep a detailed record of all your battles. After a while, you will see the patterns. A lot of things in the model come out in the wash.

Harry Erwin

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 7
RE: Question on ground combat odds. - 3/8/2011 3:29:50 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I run into that quite a bit. Usually, the Japanese tank regiment has no accompanying infantry, which means in reality that it's vulnerable to close assault, lacks target acquisition assets to cover more than the frontal arc, and lacks the engineers it needs to clear roadblocks and move off the road. As a USMC major once explained to me: "It's fun and easy to kill tanks."

Yep, drives me crazy and makes those little dinky tanks so uber in China-even in rough and mountain terrain. They have no trouble moving over mountain terrain either where they should be forbidden to go.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 8
RE: Question on ground combat odds. - 3/8/2011 8:07:56 PM   
pacificbetta

Thanks guys, for the info.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Question on ground combat odds. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI