Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reasonable Doubt?" No Oleg

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reasonable Doubt?" No Oleg Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/8/2011 6:40:20 PM   
2ndACR

Check those southern Finns and see if the mouse over shows a turn 10 activation.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 31
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/8/2011 7:44:07 PM   
Senno

Oh, some are activating. Some have a frozen and withdrawing date, it seems.

Not all, but it will happen over the next 4-6 turns, generally. This is from looking last night.

I closed up, and went to bed. Getting ready to open turn up to play it now.

Example:

Is WAD, it seems.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Senno -- 3/8/2011 9:13:03 PM >

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 32
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/8/2011 7:53:19 PM   
Senno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

You need to be using your infantry to hammer a hole for your panzers. Get those panzers off the front line.

Don't remember hammering many holes with Panzers... Infantry was generally used to open hole, which the Panzers then moved through. Last turn was spent finishing off pockets, and exploiting in the north in vicinity of Smolensk landbridge. Maybe a couple attacks, but certainly not as a general matter....

It's still a hard slog in the South, though. Well, 11th Army blew a hole, and Soviets withdrew to the Yuzhny Bug. But the rest of AGS, yeah, rough going.

I have anticpated moving Panzers back for R&R in a turn or 2. Depends on what their state is, now that I am preparing to open and play my turn 7. I hesitate to speak to much about future plans. Decided to follow 2ndACR's advice, here. And maybe on other items, but that's for the future.

Turn 6 end movement:

3rd Panzer starts an end around of the land bridge, clearing space to VL, in conjunction with Second and Ninth Armies.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Senno -- 3/9/2011 1:30:33 AM >

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 33
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/8/2011 8:18:50 PM   
Senno

Turn 6:

2nd Panzer and 4th Army cross the Dnepr in force. Consolidation of the bridgehead will commence. The state of 2nd Panzer will be evaluated, as to whether it comes of the line for R&R. MP's were low, so it might be time now.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Senno -- 3/8/2011 8:20:45 PM >

(in reply to Senno)
Post #: 34
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/8/2011 8:27:50 PM   
Senno

AGS, Turn 6:

AGS: 6th Army moved to contact, and attacked across the S. Sluch River, with 2 divisions making the crossing.

17th Army reduced the mini pocket, and moved to contact along the southern Teterev River, approaching Zhitomir and Vinnitsa.

First Panzer rolls through a small hole. Hopefully to hook up with 6th Army in a number of turns.

First Panzers status will also be checked, might be time for them to come off the line for a turn. This would be First Panzers first time out of combat. "Refit" is left on the Panzer armies at all times, of course. The other Panzer Armies have had a turn off the lines as noted above.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Senno -- 3/8/2011 8:33:48 PM >

(in reply to Senno)
Post #: 35
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/8/2011 8:53:47 PM   
Senno

Start Turn 7:

Still have a big healthy army as expected. 3.55 million. Counter-attacks have been extremely light. None last turn. I am certain he is content to ride it out until winter, and won't see many counter-attacks before then, at all. I'm pretty much behind schedule, of course.

Panzer TOE's are good, but fatigue rises. Expect to follow 2ndACR's and Mynok's advice and give the Panzers a turn off the line, soonish. With the exception of First Panzer, this will be their second time behind the lines on R&R.

In AGS Soviets have withdrawn in 11th Armies area, as noted. Will take 1 to 2 turns to move to contact. Still very thick elsewhere in AGS, as expected. This is pre heavy recon. I'm flying them in between typing, haha. I'm not sure I want to fly recon, it can only get worse.

AGC: Major change is Soviets have withdrawn to a line roughly at VL, tying in with the southern flank of the forces around Pskov.

I'm not happy about lack of pockets. But I will accept the land as extremely minor compensation.

OK, now all that's really gotta be bad for OP SEC. Sorry, 2ndACR....

I appreciate everyone who has taken time to give me advice. Thanks much.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Senno -- 3/9/2011 1:41:01 AM >

(in reply to Senno)
Post #: 36
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 12:31:43 AM   
TulliusDetritus

Senno, I think it would be better if you toggle the enemy controlled hexes and forts on. We can't see the big picture if these "details" are not present Thanks in advance

How many Soviet losses?

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Senno)
Post #: 37
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 12:46:29 AM   
Senno

Ok. And will put losses up when the turn returns first thing.

"Not many" suffices for now, hehe.

< Message edited by Senno -- 3/9/2011 12:55:08 AM >

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 38
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 2:58:33 AM   
Senno

Oleg returns the turn like lightning.

And for TD (), the losses:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Senno, I think it would be better if you toggle the enemy controlled hexes and forts on. We can't see the big picture if these "details" are not present Thanks in advance

How many Soviet losses?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Senno -- 3/9/2011 3:14:15 AM >

(in reply to Senno)
Post #: 39
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 3:00:46 AM   
Senno

OOB:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 40
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 3:01:54 AM   
Senno

The pathetic amount of destroyed units:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Senno -- 3/9/2011 3:02:52 AM >

(in reply to Senno)
Post #: 41
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 3:10:17 AM   
Senno

A quick glance at the Soviet turn reveals 2 counter-attacks. 13th Panzer was driven back from due South of Zhitomir, with moderate losses. I almost withdrew this unit at end of last turn. But the urge to try to pocket was to great. I came up short on the pocket, and now have a unit at 58 tanks. Needless to say, it's now in the rear with the gear.

100th Jaegar is driven back with light losses. It was located south of Zinnitsa, at the joint between 11th Army and 17th Army. It's still in decent shape overall, 87% TOE.

Both counter-attacks are essentially targets of opportunity. amd he smacked em good.

< Message edited by Senno -- 3/9/2011 4:55:12 AM >

(in reply to Senno)
Post #: 42
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 3:37:23 AM   
PeeDeeAitch

13th Panzer was unlucky.

"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester

(in reply to Senno)
Post #: 43
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 4:54:08 AM   
Senno

quote:

ORIGINAL: PeeDeeAitch

13th Panzer was unlucky.

Haha. Yes indeedy. I shoulda sent it to France.....

(in reply to PeeDeeAitch)
Post #: 44
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 6:50:01 PM   
Senno

Turn 8

AGS:

I had expected Soviets to fall back a few hexes to the Teterov River and Northern Uzh approximately during their last turn. Soviets didn't, so 6th Army was able to blast a hole, which First Panzer exploited, siezing Kiev, and nearly linking up with Second Panzer south of Gomel. The units in and near the Pripyet should be on beachhead status, as I wasn't able to cut the landline completely. All rail lines are cut, however.

This is the first time in AGS that an open area is encountered, rather than a line on the next river (Teterev and northern Uzh). My own fault of course, after turn 1. But it's nice to finally have Panzers in free space.

The L.A.H. SS Motorized in Kiev was air supplied to maximum extent. It's at 98% TOE with 2 pioneer units attached, so it should have a shot at surviving the expected ruthless counter-attacks/isolation. I didn't have to take Kiev, but the allure was to great, and I drove on in.

Next turn to be spent rescuing the L.A.H. And hopefully finishing linkup with Second Panzer, and tightening pocket.

to 2ndACR for his advice here.

quote:

If you tell people where to go, but not how to get there, you'll be amazed at the results.
George S. Patton

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/g/george_s_patton.html#ixzz1G8AKiplB

PS: The surrounded Soviet armored unit in the 2 level fortification shows as 15 = 52, lol. I'm certain that's not true. But it could be one of his survivors from Turn 1. And with the units around it low mp's, I'm not going to risk a hasty attack to find out. So it will stew a turn, and we will see the truth of it next turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Senno -- 3/9/2011 7:04:50 PM >

(in reply to Senno)
Post #: 45
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 6:57:44 PM   
PeeDeeAitch

"...l'audace, et encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace."

Words to live by as the Germans in SUmmer and Fall of 1941.

"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester

(in reply to Senno)
Post #: 46
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 7:10:52 PM   
Senno

quote:

"...l'audace, et encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace."

Words to live by as the Germans in SUmmer and Fall of 1941.

I agree with the sentiment. But object to the use of French to deliver it. Had you been speaking of surrender, it might of made more sense to me.

Thus:

[image]Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more.
George S. Patton
Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/g/george_s_patton_2.html#ixzz1G8BvMGjf[/image]

I concede my own performance to date has been more easily equated to the early French in WWII, than Patton. I hope to move that a little bit in the other direction...

< Message edited by Senno -- 3/9/2011 7:13:35 PM >

Post #: 47
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 7:12:56 PM   
2ndACR

Nice, just try and get that Panzer back out of the swamps. You have to get over that river. ASAP. Link up east of the river. You take big losses using panzers in swamps. Not worth it.

Don't take your eye off the ball, east of the river, that is the goal.

(in reply to Senno)
Post #: 48
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 7:14:53 PM   
Senno

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

Nice, just try and get that Panzer back out of the swamps. You have to get over that river. ASAP. Link up east of the river. You take big losses using panzers in swamps. Not worth it.

Don't take your eye off the ball, east of the river, that is the goal.

Yeah, I had to try to cut the land connection. Didn't quite make it. Hopefully he's not in a position to impose those big losses this coming turn.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 49
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 7:16:35 PM   
PeeDeeAitch

Remember to keep your eye on the grindstone.

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester

(in reply to Senno)
Post #: 50
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 7:20:12 PM   
2ndACR

Not just combat losses but wear and tear losses, damaged. Swamps are not the place for tanks.

Understand why you did it, but as tempting as it is, move the swamp guy back south and east (1st Panzer Army unit) and use the AGC div to close the gap off from his side.

Post #: 51
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 7:20:35 PM   
Senno

Ugh. Ok, boys, party in Kiev cancelled.....Heinz, send those party hats back, request fuel and ammo instead. High command commands....We will have to spend your birthday in the trenches, sorry....

4 mp's left. So he's back out se.

I'm so bad at OP Sec.

I generally try to have the turn to Oleg by 1:30 my time. Still have a couple hours.

quote:

Remember to keep your eye on the grindstone.

Sounds painful. Can it be my glass eye? That needs polishing....

< Message edited by Senno -- 3/9/2011 7:30:43 PM >

Post #: 52
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 7:26:50 PM   
2ndACR

Use the Cav to close the swamp hexes. He is good for that.

Expect mass pull back from that huge pile south of your break out. I bet he will be railing as many as he can to the East of the river to block access.

You need the speed now more than anything. I would bring all of 2nd Panzer south just to make sure 1st Panzer makes it across. I would even risk him filtering in behind 2nd Panzer if I can get 1st Panzer across the river ASAP. Once across, they can head back north and create the next pocket.

Your okay, Oleg is trustworthy. Completely. It is the random loose lips that hurt.

OPSEC is your ultimate goal, strategy etc. Plus it is fun watching everyone play guessing games trying to figure out what in the heck your doing. LOL

< Message edited by 2ndACR -- 3/9/2011 7:29:34 PM >

(in reply to Senno)
Post #: 53
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 7:33:40 PM   
Senno

quote:

Use the Cav to close the swamp hexes. He is good for that.

Expect mass pull back from that huge pile south of your break out. I bet he will be railing as many as he can to the East of the river to block access.

You need the speed now more than anything. I would bring all of 2nd Panzer south just to make sure 1st Panzer makes it across. I would even risk him filtering in behind 2nd Panzer if I can get 1st Panzer across the river ASAP. Once across, they can head back north and create the next pocket.

Your okay, Oleg is trustworthy. Completely. It is the random loose lips that hurt.

OPSEC is your ultimate goal, strategy etc. Plus it is fun watching everyone play guessing games trying to figure out what in the heck your doing. LOL

Yeah, the Cav is up there now. I thought he would pull back from that pile last turn, actually. He generally has pulled back from river to river. Not sure why he stuck there, west of Kiev. Anyway, couldn't get around south of it, and north ended up being more inviting, overall. I tried, but had a "held" that stopped the advance. Was at the end of the string on the south side, infantry wise.

He will have to walk out of the Zhitomir area as I have cut the rails, at least.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Senno -- 3/9/2011 8:28:18 PM >

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 54
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 7:35:22 PM   
2ndACR

Nope, Oleg hangs tough until the last second. You will see it next turn. Promise.

(in reply to Senno)
Post #: 55
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 7:36:52 PM   
Senno

quote:

If anyone figures out what I am doing, will they be kind enough to tell me?
-------

Always keep 'em guessing. My opponent in game, that is.

I'm just trying to have fun in the game with Oleg. I don't think this game proves anything. But I clearly stated that before we started to Oleg in Q-Ball's AAR.

< Message edited by Senno -- 3/9/2011 10:36:40 PM >

(in reply to Senno)
Post #: 56
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 7:40:23 PM   
2ndACR

Your learning. That is what your doing. Learning.

Just think about all the lessons you already learned and think about the poor guy you play your next PBEM against.

(in reply to Senno)
Post #: 57
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 7:49:43 PM   
Senno

quote:

Your learning. That is what your doing. Learning.

Just think about all the lessons you already learned and think about the poor guy you play your next PBEM against.

Yeah.

------------------

But I need to tone down the sarcasm on the internet. I use sarcastic humor, and it doesn't translate well.
--------------

Appreciate the advice, as always.

< Message edited by Senno -- 3/9/2011 9:28:20 PM >

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 58
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 8:52:10 PM   
Senno

11th Army and the Romanians close in on the Soviet positions. The mp's to cross in the breach are lacking. Outskirts of Odessa reached.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Senno -- 3/9/2011 8:53:46 PM >

(in reply to Senno)
Post #: 59
RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reas... - 3/9/2011 9:03:02 PM   
Senno

Second Army reaches VL, but lacks the MP's to move in.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Senno -- 3/9/2011 9:04:48 PM >

(in reply to Senno)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Senno v Oleg; Starring in "Proof Beyond a Reasonable Doubt?" No Oleg Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI