Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Airbases not auto-engaging air targets

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition >> Tech Support >> Airbases not auto-engaging air targets Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Airbases not auto-engaging air targets - 3/13/2011 6:04:42 PM   
itchy01ca

This has happened a few times and not just with airbases but with surface ships as well. Enemy aircraft appear in missile/sam range and... fly straight through with no interruption. No missiles hitting them, no warning, no combat air patrol firing them up, no intercept messages. Is this a glitch or a programming code thing? Harpoon is showing its age and I believe the code needs a major rework. There are still a LOT of issues and glitches, even from when i was playing the game back in the 90s. Awesome effort you guys have put into it, but harpoon looks not as professional as it could be. A group of Soviet Su-27 with Alamos and archers NOT being able to engage a flight of F-18s? Unacceptable, especially after all we have learned about Russian technology from the late 80s early 90s. This coming from a serving air force officer, who has seen Russian and American technology up close and personnel.
Post #: 1
RE: Airbases not auto-engaging air targets - 3/13/2011 6:10:17 PM   
fguerin35

Hi there,

I noticed the same passive behavior of intercept/patrol missions. Only thing possible to make units react is to have them assigned to plotted/ferry missions. But this tweak won't work for land structures alas...

Have a nice day, regards

Cdr Sylvester

(in reply to itchy01ca)
Post #: 2
RE: Airbases not auto-engaging air targets - 3/13/2011 6:11:55 PM   
itchy01ca

Have to include the game i was talking about i guess: HCE Ultimate Edition. 

(in reply to fguerin35)
Post #: 3
RE: Airbases not auto-engaging air targets - 3/13/2011 6:26:22 PM   
TonyE

What scenario and battleset are you using?

Maintaining the game is a volunteer effort, we welcome assistance, see http://www.harpgamer.com for where the action happens.

As for Su-27 taking down F/A-18, that certainly happens in the game especially in the EC2003 and newer battlesets where the database is editable and masterfully maintained by Brad Leyte/CV32.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to itchy01ca)
Post #: 4
RE: Airbases not auto-engaging air targets - 3/13/2011 7:20:08 PM   
Warhorse64

I used to notice this sort of behaviour in the older battlesets, for example in the original Desert Storm scenarios in IOPG or the MEDC scenario where the Iowa takes on Syria, where enemy aircraft which did not have air to surface weapons loaded would be ignored by my air defence weapons, whether I liked it or not. So an unarmed recon aircraft, or a fighter loaded only for air to air, could fly unmolested right through the middle of my ship formation, and nothing I could do about it. As I recall, if the enemy unit did anything hostile, like shoot at one of my formation helos, the air defences would engage it immediately. I don't know that I've ever seen this happen in EC2003 or Westpac, but that may be more a reflection of the type of scenarios I like to play these days, too.

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 5
RE: Airbases not auto-engaging air targets - 3/13/2011 7:37:49 PM   
itchy01ca

Ah, well im just trying out some of the older/est battlesets, so that could be an issue. Do all the battlesets have different databases for sensors and missile ranges and such?

(in reply to Warhorse64)
Post #: 6
RE: Airbases not auto-engaging air targets - 3/13/2011 10:15:14 PM   
TonyE

Yes, everything before EC2000 has pretty unique values from the time at which they were created. EC2000 has quite a bit of commonality between the four battlesets. Then EC2003 and newer all use the commondb format so you can swap in and out different databases and edit the commondb database itself.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to itchy01ca)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition >> Tech Support >> Airbases not auto-engaging air targets Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI