Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hello: newbie online

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Hello: newbie online Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hello: newbie online - 3/15/2011 4:31:10 PM   
jzardos

Took the plunge few weeks back and bought WitE. Very happy with the investment so far! Finally decided to become a Matrix forum member so I could join in some of the conversation and look for an opponent soon. I've owned a few other Matrix games, but they currently are on the shelves. Not that they were not enjoyable, but the re-playability just was not very high for my standards. None of which were 2by3 games.

A few observations so far, keep in mind still somewhere on that learning curve. Playing the axis in 41-45 campaign. On t30 now.

- wondering if there is a way to speed up unit movement, especially train movement. Can wait a bit for unit to finally reach destination. Must be solved, I just don't know preference to change?

- How come my airfield attacks are so poor after t1? Seems like I will lose more attacking airfields from t2 onward? Maybe I'm not attacking in the right manner? Is this historical that German airfield attacks after June 22 were very poor? I'm not a history buff, but have picked up some books on Amazon to learn more about this horrific but fascinating conflict.

- AI seems to be very good at seeing my Panzer units gathering behind a front and it adjusts to them. How good is AI recon? Can the AI see everything even with FOW on?

- I can't seem to pocket as many Soviet units as I see in some AARs what are some tips for pocketing units? I'd like to play a PBEM game vs a human Soviet , but I've very scared I'll do poorly as the Soviet player will just move away from the front and give ground? Guessing the balancing has been worked out to help axis in early years and Soviets later?

- What are armaments for? Seems like my German pool ran out very fast and I'm not sure if this was because I was attacking too much in 41?

- How do people attack Urban areas? I've been losing a lot of my troops trying to capture them? Have multiple hex sides on them? What is the bonus for having multiple hexes on the attack? I played some games that give decent % bonus for extra hex side (flank attacks). Just curious what the % increase is per extra side attacking more than one. Don't see anything in battle report about it? But I'm almost clueless on the modified combat points results.

- How do I lose motor pool and how do I get it back? Just fixing and turn production? Can I alter my production to make more vehicles? Haven't found the 'secret sauce' for adjusting my production yet.

- How in the world do I survive the blizzard turns? I thought I was doing well up to the blizzard, but now my forces are destroyed all over the front. I had some units that were stacked and displayed a CV of 40, but now are showing 2? Is that right? Also, I've lost almost 800k men in the last 5 turns. At this rate, I'm worried my army will be gone by spring 42. I know Germans failed to take Moscow, but I thought they had forces to start attacking again in summer 42? What did I do wrong to lose so many men. I tried to keep units in towns and I had some fort (zones) up to 3-4, but it didn't stop the Soviets attacks. Really brutal stuff, but I will keep my spirits up and hope for warmer weather soon.

- What are the red units I see behind the Soviet lines? Recon picked them up, but can't see what type they are yet.

- Also, so post on a patch coming soon for v1.04 that will change some things with blizzard, which is good. I'm going to put myself out there for a 1v1 PBEM once v1.04 arrives. So I guess looking for another newbie Soviet player, provided there are any out there? I know strategy, but not yet polished on my combat mechanics and game knowledge. But have decent free time so I hope to graduate from the 'push-over' realm of players soon.

Once again very very HAPPY with the game. Kudos to all involved as this is the most fun I've ever had playing any game on a computer!

< Message edited by jzardos -- 3/15/2011 4:37:28 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Hello: newbie online - 3/15/2011 4:45:47 PM   
Commanderski

I can answer some questions for you. I haven't had the opportunity to play as much as some others, I would like too but have to work, eat, etc..

quote:

- wondering if there is a way to speed up unit movement, especially train movement. Can wait a bit for unit to finally reach destination. Must be solved, I just don't know preference to change?

No way that I know of either. Some of the distances are quite long so it does take a while, in real life just like the game.

quote:

How come my airfield attacks are so poor after t1? Seems like I will lose more attacking airfields from t2 onward? Maybe I'm not attacking in the right manner? Is this historical that German airfield attacks after June 22 were very poor? I'm not a history buff, but have picked up some books on Amazon to learn more about this horrific but fascinating conflict

On the first turn the Soviets were pretty much unprepared for the assault on their air fields. After turn 2 (one week later) they are more prepared and have their defenses ready. No real need to bomb their airfields after turn one. Plus you need your air cover to support ground attacks and fight off interdiction.

quote:

I can't see to pocket as many Soviet units as I see in some AARs what are some tips for pocketing units?

Just takes practice. Use HQ build up, air drop extra fuel for your Panzer and motorized units and also remember to split them up into regiments which helps in closing the circle.

Glad you enjoy the game.

(in reply to jzardos)
Post #: 2
RE: Hello: newbie online - 3/15/2011 4:50:10 PM   
jzardos

For movement, I understand the distances. But I was actually wondering how I can speed up a unit moving on the screen? Example: I move a unit by train 40 hexes. I don't need to watch it move all 40 hexes on the screen? Can take many seconds to perform this type of move.

Thanks for tips. Have not used HQ buildup yet, was a bit scared away as it will hut my already depleting motor pool. But I will give it a try if I having anything left after blizzard to do HQ buildup on.

< Message edited by jzardos -- 3/15/2011 4:51:24 PM >

(in reply to Commanderski)
Post #: 3
RE: Hello: newbie online - 3/15/2011 4:52:45 PM   
Angelo

quote:

ORIGINAL: jzardos

Took the plunge few weeks back and bought WitE. Very happy with the investment so far! Finally decided to become a Matrix forum member so I could join in some of the conversation and look for an opponent soon. I've owned a few other Matrix games, but they currently are on the shelves. Not that they were not enjoyable, but the re-playability just was not very high for my standards. None of which were 2by3 games.

A few observations so far, keep in mind still somewhere on that learning curve. Playing the axis in 41-45 campaign. On t30 now.

- How come my airfield attacks are so poor after t1? Seems like I will lose more attacking airfields from t2 onward? Maybe I'm not attacking in the right manner? Is this historical that German airfield attacks after June 22 were very poor? I'm not a history buff, but have picked up some books on Amazon to learn more about this horrific but fascinating conflict.

- AI seems to be very good at seeing my Panzer units gathering behind a front and it adjusts to them. How good is AI recon? Can the AI see everything even with FOW on?

- I can't seem to pocket as many Soviet units as I see in some AARs what are some tips for pocketing units? I'd like to play a PBEM game vs a human Soviet , but I've very scared I'll do poorly as the Soviet player will just move away from the front and give ground? Guessing the balancing has been worked out to help axis in early years and Soviets later?

- What are armaments for? Seems like my German pool ran out very fast and I'm not sure if this was because I was attacking too much in 41?

- How do people attack Urban areas? I've been losing a lot of my troops trying to capture them? Have multiple hex sides on them? What is the bonus for having multiple hexes on the attack? I played some games that give decent % bonus for extra hex side (flank attacks). Just curious what the % increase is per extra side attacking more than one. Don't see anything in battle report about it? But I'm almost clueless on the modified combat points results.

- How do I lose motor pool and how do I get it back? Just fixing and turn production? Can I alter my production to make more vehicles? Haven't found the 'secret sauce' for adjusting my production yet.

- How in the world do I survive the blizzard turns? I thought I was doing well up to the blizzard, but now my forces are destroyed all over the front. I had some units that were stacked and displayed a CV of 40, but now are showing 2? Is that right? Also, I've lost almost 800k men in the last 5 turns. At this rate, I'm worried my army will be gone by spring 42. I know Germans failed to take Moscow, but I thought they had forces to start attacking again in summer 42? What did I do wrong to lose so many men. I tried to keep units in towns and I had some fort (zones) up to 3-4, but it didn't stop the Soviets attacks. Really brutal stuff, but I will keep my spirits up and hope for warmer weather soon.

- What are the red units I see behind the Soviet lines? Recon picked them up, but can't see what type they are yet.

- Also, so post on a patch coming soon for v1.04 that will change some things with blizzard, which is good. I'm going to put myself out there for a 1v1 PBEM once v1.04 arrives. So I guess looking for another newbie Soviet player, provided there are any out there? I know strategy, but not yet polished on my combat mechanics and game knowledge. But have decent free time so I hope to graduate from the 'push-over' realm of players soon.

Once again very very HAPPY with the game. Kudos to all involved as this is the most fun I've ever had playing any game on a computer!

You can press the space bar to speed up the unit movement.

The AI recon is perfect but the detection levels are still used by both sides in combat, I think.

The 'red units' are Soviet guard units.

(in reply to jzardos)
Post #: 4
RE: Hello: newbie online - 3/15/2011 4:57:40 PM   
Joel Billings

In the game preferences, you can either turn off move animation (uncheck Show Move Animation), or you can reduce the Move Animation Speed preference (I set mine to .01). Also, as noted, you can press the space bar at any time during the move and the units will move directly to their final destination.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Angelo)
Post #: 5
RE: Hello: newbie online - 3/15/2011 5:15:48 PM   
Speedysteve

Welcome to the forum!

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 6
RE: Hello: newbie online - 3/15/2011 5:26:24 PM   
jzardos

Thanks.  Gee, space bar.. why didn't I think of that.

Was that the 'Joel Billings' of 2by3?  If so, wow, amazing to actually see the developers active in forums like this.  Reinforces my choice to by a game where the TLC for the game is so obvious and present!

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 7
RE: Hello: newbie online - 3/15/2011 11:12:22 PM   
56ajax

Airfield attacks are poor after turn 1, but if you find an airfield packed with aircraft give it a try; also bomb before you displace airfields as the damaged planes are lost.

Urban areas or fortified areas - assign pioneer batts to your attacking forces.

Your up to turn 30?; crumbs i have been playing this game since it came out; different scenarios, lots of restarts and I'm up to T6 on GC!!!!!

Have fun...

(in reply to jzardos)
Post #: 8
RE: Hello: newbie online - 3/15/2011 11:24:20 PM   
Klydon

Welcome. I would advise checking out the War Room for some of the answers to your questions, especially the blizzard (sticky in the top of the forum). Red units are likely Guards units. 

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 9
RE: Hello: newbie online - 3/15/2011 11:49:33 PM   
berthier

Pocket formation

Well one way to form pockets and I'm not suggesting this is the "right way" is

Attack in echelon- that is, use the units furthest from the front line to move up and attack the front line. You will need to blow a hole(well probably two, one on each flank) three-five hexes wide. One thing I made a mistake with when first playing was to use all units in a hex to attack. This often isnt necessary. Often you only need to attack with one unit let it attack, advance if possible then attack again. Then grab the next unit from the original hex and let it penetrate further..and so on. Anyway, after the furthest units have attacked, progress closer and closer to the front line with more units attacking until finally the front line units can go. By that stage all being well there should be no enemy units to stop these units from moving to close to their full movement allowance and starting an encirclement.

If the front line has a tough nut to attack, say a defending unit in rough terrain then you will probably need to assign extra support to your attacking units (pioneers, stugs etc..remember each unit can only have a maximum of 3 units assigned to it), these can have quite an impct on your hitting power. Hope this helps!

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 10
RE: Hello: newbie online - 3/16/2011 12:43:41 AM   
Aussiematto

So much to learn....

let me contribute on this point "- How do I lose motor pool and how do I get it back? Just fixing and turn production? Can I alter my production to make more vehicles? Haven't found the 'secret sauce' for adjusting my production yet."

Motor pool vehicles are lost (destroyed or damaged) as part of you doing your turn - the computer cleverly takes care of this for you. It's a good simulation - all that rushing around with supplies, troop movements etc - vehicles break, some are hit by enemy action and so on. YOu can't tweak production. What you do is try to minimise moving units when not necessary to move AND make sure your supply grid is efficient. Simple tips:

a) don't move HQ and airbase units just because... move them if they have to be moved. Example OKH starts in a hex out of Koenigsburg. Don't move it until your AG HQs are 90 hexes into Russia (by which point you've probably won anyway); just move HQs the bare minimum you need

b) supply - you need to have units within a formation (eg german corps) 5 hexes (and 20 MPs i think) from their supplying HQ; then that HQ traces supply to a railhead. All that supply stuff takes LOTS of trucks. So, if you have a unit out of supply range from HQ, it is going to use its own trucks to get supplies.

c) eventually, you can make some units static which frees up a few trucks but, mostly, you need to be cautious about moving things :).

I still remember cardboard!

(in reply to berthier)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Hello: newbie online Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI