Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) versus Cribtop (J)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) versus Cribtop (J) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/3/2011 7:04:21 AM   
Moondawggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

December 6, 1941

USS West Virginia, Battleship Row, Pearl Harbor

They were dancing on the edge of a precipice, though no one knew it and few would have believed it had they been told.

Cuttlefish, we all salute you, Sir! A fine sequel to the Hibiki saga is just what we've been waiting for.

Go, Gridley, go!

May your course ultimately lead to fair winds and following seas...

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 31
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/3/2011 1:10:30 PM   
DOCUP

Come on WEE VEE. Subscribed

Let her rip Cuttlefish

doc

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 32
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/3/2011 4:18:11 PM   
bigbaba

cool idea to start a "hibiki AAR" from the other side.

and i hope the Gridley will have the same luck like its japanese counterpart!

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 33
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/3/2011 5:34:05 PM   
cantona2

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigbaba

What reptile will they find I wonder?

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 34
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/3/2011 6:49:19 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigbaba

What reptile will they find I wonder?

For mascot I vote for a bandicoot, aardvark or binturong. Huh? What do you mean this isnt a democracy?

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 35
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/3/2011 7:06:24 PM   
Cuttlefish

December 6, 1941

A farm near Rudyard, Michigan

Joe Beaumont, age nineteen, stepped out of the barn and into the iron-cold northern Michigan night. He made sure the door was latched behind him and then stood for a moment before heading back to the farmhouse. The half a foot of snow already on the ground glowed in the moonlight and gave enough light that Joe could have read a book if he had wanted to.

Joe liked to read, though he could not read very quickly. Right now he was working his way through "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea." It was a good book, even though there were a lot of words in it that Joe didn't know. He planned to read a bit more of it tonight before he went to sleep.

At the moment, though, he just wanted to stand out here in the cold and the quiet and think. He did a lot of thinking. Most people thought that Joe was a little bit on the stupid side. He moved slow and talked slower and ideas didn't always come to him quickly. His size added to the impression. He was big, just under six feet tall and stocky, with muscles hardened by the backbreaking effort of trying to keep the farm going.

His mother, though, had a different view of things. "Joe ain't dumb," she would say. "He has to worry over a thing a bit before he gets the shape of it, but he gets there in the end all right."

Right now Joe could see her through the kitchen window, rolling out some dough for tomorrow. She worked hard. They all did, Joe and his two younger brothers too. It had been easier when his father was alive. Not easy, no, but easier. Here in Michigan's Upper Peninsula the growing season was short and the winters were cruel.

Joe looked away from the farmhouse and out at the moonlit fields. Fence posts stood sentry in neat rows, each with its own little cap of snow. Beyond the fields and circling back around behind the house were the thick dark woods. It was beautiful, Joe thought. He always liked this time of year, with winter just starting. It would be different a month from now, when winter really had its teeth into the farm and every day would be a struggle to keep the animals fed and watered.

He'd deal with that when it happened. Time to go inside, he told himself, and get warm. He trudged towards the house, his boots crunching a bit on the packed trail of snow between house and barn.

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 3/3/2011 7:33:23 PM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 36
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/3/2011 9:35:50 PM   
nashvillen

I have a feeling Joe won't be seeing snow again for a while...

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 37
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/3/2011 10:39:19 PM   
whippleofd

This is gonna be good! And best of all I get to read it from the start this time.

Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 38
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/4/2011 12:41:29 PM   
Onime No Kyo

I dont mean to be rude......but could the devs hurry up with the &$#@^&% patch?

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to whippleofd)
Post #: 39
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/5/2011 9:13:40 AM   
yubari

Hurrah! Looking forward to this one.

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 40
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/5/2011 9:21:56 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: yubari

+1

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to yubari)
Post #: 41
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/5/2011 2:45:17 PM   
Blackhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: yubari

+1

+2

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 42
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/5/2011 7:21:06 PM   
Cuttlefish

While we wait for the war to start I thought I would present a photo of Gridley. The photo is undated as far as I have been able to find but appears to be pre-WWII. The ship is at anchor and the forward of the two ship's boats on the starboard side has been lowered and is not in view. Note the canvas covers on the two aft 5" mounts, which were not enclosed.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 43
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/5/2011 11:10:39 PM   
BigBadWolf

I think you have wrong picture there, CF. Maybe this one would be better

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 44
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/8/2011 12:59:28 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Bump by way of encouraging Cuttlefish.

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 45
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/10/2011 6:04:00 PM   
nashvillen

bump

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 46
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/10/2011 7:13:28 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

I'm going to buy the novel when it comes out. You really should think of editing and putting together the full Hibiki story and do the same with the Gridley come the end of the game. About the only thing that might tempt me to get an e-book/kindle thingy.

Looking forward the story and thank you for putting so much forethought and effort into this venture , it is much appreciated by many many people.

cheers

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 47
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/11/2011 8:17:05 PM   
Cuttlefish

Cribtop and I are just waiting for the new patch to be official. Any day now...

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 48
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/11/2011 8:33:05 PM   
Cribtop

Come on, come on, come on....

Really hoping the patch is made final soon. Can't wait to get started on the game, although I will have to exit this thread when we get rolling. CF, while we're twiddling our thumbs I plan to try to compile our house rule e-mails and post a summary in my AAR sometime this weekend. You might want to stop by and make sure I'm accurate.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 49
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/11/2011 9:24:59 PM   
kaleun

Suscribed!
Earlier this morning I posted in the tech help section about the patch that there was no hurry.
I hereby rescind that post!
Hurry up already!

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 50
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/12/2011 4:38:34 PM   
Onime No Kyo

CF, I was under the impresion that at some point you had released the Hibiki saga as an ebook available for purchase from an online publisher. Is that still around?

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 51
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/12/2011 9:28:53 PM   
Menser

Awesome CF,
I feel another great saga in the making.
I have to make a small correction though, USS Gridley was made at the Fore River Shipyard (Owned by Bethlaham Steel) in Quincy, Massachusettes. My Grandfather worked in this yard most of his life :). Other Vessels made there used in the war include 6 CV's (including both Wasps and both Lexingtons), 5 prewar BB's and 1 Battleship during the war (USS Massachusettes, which vexed you a time or 2 in you're AAR with Q-Ball) and many Cruisers, Destroyers, Subs and Auxilaries. The subs included the USS Cuttlefish :). The yard is broken up now into many different commercial interests but it does have a Naval Construction Museum at the site with the USS Salem as its centerpiece. You can see that cruiser very well in Google Maps.
http://www.uss-salem.org/ is the museum Website and the old yard has a wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fore_River_Shipyard.

PS forgot to mention John J. Kilroy, a welding inspector, also worked in the yard :)

< Message edited by Menser -- 3/12/2011 9:56:57 PM >

"Alea iacta est." Caius Julius
"If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing." Emo Philips
"Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius." Abbot Arnaud Amalric

Post #: 52
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/12/2011 10:15:30 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Menser

Awesome CF,
I feel another great saga in the making.
I have to make a small correction though, USS Gridley was made at the Fore River Shipyard (Owned by Bethlaham Steel) in Quincy, Massachusettes. My Grandfather worked in this yard most of his life :). Other Vessels made there used in the war include 6 CV's (including both Wasps and both Lexingtons), 5 prewar BB's and 1 Battleship during the war (USS Massachusettes, which vexed you a time or 2 in you're AAR with Q-Ball) and many Cruisers, Destroyers, Subs and Auxilaries. The subs included the USS Cuttlefish :). The yard is broken up now into many different commercial interests but it does have a Naval Construction Museum at the site with the USS Salem as its centerpiece. You can see that cruiser very well in Google Maps.
http://www.uss-salem.org/ is the museum Website and the old yard has a wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fore_River_Shipyard.

PS forgot to mention John J. Kilroy, a welding inspector, also worked in the yard :)

My aunt was a "Rosie the riveter" (really "Dolly the welder" in her case) there during the war!

(in reply to Menser)
Post #: 53
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/15/2011 1:31:08 AM   
kaleun

quote:

CF, I was under the impresion that at some point you had released the Hibiki saga as an ebook available for purchase from an online publisher. Is that still around?

I looked for it in Lulu.com but could not find it.
Cuttlefish did you ever release it?

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

Post #: 54
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/15/2011 2:54:38 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

quote:

I looked for it in Lulu.com but could not find it.
Cuttlefish did you ever release it?

No, I never did finish that project. If people are still interested I might go ahead and do so, however.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 55
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/15/2011 3:29:47 AM   
kaleun

I am interested. I'd rather spend some $$$ at Lulu than cut and paste for hours to assemble your saga.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 56
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/15/2011 1:11:50 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Same here. I actually have it in mind as a gift to someone.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 57
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/15/2011 2:12:11 PM   
Grollub

Your girlfriend?

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

Post #: 58
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/15/2011 4:06:06 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

Your girlfriend?

I would be ecstatic if GFU took any interest but no.

It's actually for a college professor of mine that I still keep in touch with. Back when warplan orange was being made I requested that his name be entered as the captain of one of his royal majesty's battleships and he got a kick out of that (royal navy historian). I'm sure he'd get a kick out of cf's writing as well.

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 59
RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) vers... - 3/16/2011 10:13:52 PM   
HMS Resolution

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

Your girlfriend?

I would be ecstatic if GFU took any interest but no.

It's actually for a college professor of mine that I still keep in touch with. Back when warplan orange was being made I requested that his name be entered as the captain of one of his royal majesty's battleships and he got a kick out of that (royal navy historian). I'm sure he'd get a kick out of cf's writing as well.

What's he written on it? Anything we might have heard of?

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Ship of Steel, Men of Valor - Cuttlefish (A) versus Cribtop (J) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI