Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New Screen for Surface Combat

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: New Screen for Surface Combat Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/19/2011 12:26:47 PM   
Halsey

This is great!

We can always use the help, since there's only 2 or 3 of us working on these now.

You take the Japanese forces, do whatever you want to them.
It'll be awesome to see the Japanese in there glory!

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 601
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/19/2011 12:46:28 PM   
Hotschi

Some time ago I tried to do the RNZAF units, but all I could do is No.3 Squadron - there's just not enough online sources available, or the patches are post-war.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 602
Art mods - 2/19/2011 7:49:21 PM   
BigDuke66

quote:

ORIGINAL: Halsey

This is great!

We can always use the help, since there's only 2 or 3 of us working on these now.

You take the Japanese forces, do whatever you want to them.
It'll be awesome to see the Japanese in there glory!

Sure lend me your sources & talent and its done in a minute.

No really what can be done with a call sign like "Jade Division", to simply write it into the patch box seem very boring.
Regarding ships, did the Japanese Navy have a numbering system like the US navy used?

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 603
RE: Art mods - 2/20/2011 1:44:40 AM   
Halsey

Finding accurate sources are the hard part.
I have links to all kinds of Allied forces.

Japanese are tougher because most records were destroyed.

I have hard copy books with IJAAF Sentai markings,with the insignia in sketches.
That means scanning and coloring in the detail.
so as I see it, the most reliable Japanese insignia and marking references are in hardback books.

Anyone have any links for the Duke?

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 604
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/21/2011 12:57:56 AM   
Lesbaker

Hoschi
Had a look to see what i could find on the RNZAF, managed to track down some of the Squadrons namely 1,2,3,4,5,6,25,31 and 40. Here's a Preview:-

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lesbaker -- 2/21/2011 1:07:37 AM >

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 605
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/21/2011 12:59:35 AM   
Lesbaker

Here are the BMP's for the above

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lesbaker)
Post #: 606
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/21/2011 1:03:49 AM   
Lesbaker

For the Squadrons that i could fine nothing on i have made up a generic crest following the lines of the real crests here's a preview :-

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lesbaker)
Post #: 607
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/21/2011 1:06:47 AM   
Lesbaker

For those that want the generic cerst for the RNZAF please be WARNED THAT THESE ARE NOT HISTORICAL

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lesbaker)
Post #: 608
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/21/2011 6:55:46 PM   
Hotschi

Thanks for your effort Lesbaker!

(in reply to Lesbaker)
Post #: 609
RE: Ship Art update - 2/24/2011 8:58:49 PM   
Big B

Keeping the faith, I just wanted to let everyone know where we are; Except for a relative few AKA paint jobs to do in Measure 32 (maybe 10) - we are now there.
Just so you can appreciate the magnitude of what we have done, and need to make into individual ship art files - that already amounts to over 1100 ship files, 8 variations of Surface Combat Screens (now completed and ready) and 2 variations of Air-Surface Combat Screens (ditto).

So we are 99.9% complete with all art - now it's going to be mainly creating over 1100 individual ship art files to get to the finish line.

I and Kelley apologize for taking so long, but please try to remember we are doing this for free ...and just as a apart-time endeavor, as we both have real lives to live and answer to.

Thanks all.
B

< Message edited by Big B -- 2/24/2011 8:59:52 PM >

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 610
RE: Ship Art update - 2/24/2011 10:38:40 PM   
BigDuke66

As usual the 0,01% will take longer than the 99,9%, at least it will feel like.
But I bet it's worth waiting for it.
Thanks for the hard work!

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 611
RE: Ship Art update - 2/25/2011 4:31:56 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

As usual the 0,01% will take longer than the 99,9%, at least it will feel like.
But I bet it's worth waiting for it.
Thanks for the hard work!

Thanks BigD!!! As usual, I'm trying to drag out that 0.01% as long as I can!!!!!!

But seriously, thank you!!!!!

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 612
RE: Ship Art update - 2/25/2011 1:08:07 PM   
ny59giants

Has any one done work on various "Air Bombardment" screens?? I see that Pearl has her own artwork for this, but as far as I know, no other base has a custody screen. Is this something that could be done and within the Editor that screen could be used for a specific base. I would like to see them for major bases (Singapore, Hong Kong, Palembang, Rangoon, etc) and some historical places like Lunga. I'm just curious about this.

Thanks!

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 613
RE: Ship Art update - 2/25/2011 3:51:48 PM   
BigDuke66

And I wonder if there are any old recon pictures left of these bases, maybe one could make something out of them or at least take them as pattern.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 614
RE: Ship Art update - 2/27/2011 3:09:14 PM   
BigDuke66

BTW do we have some inspiring art for the minor screens like loading screen, save screen, etc.?

< Message edited by BigDuke66 -- 3/5/2011 7:17:52 AM >

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 615
RE: Ship Art update - 3/5/2011 7:23:19 AM   
BigDuke66

Not really an art question but what about the sound files that play when certain bases are conquered, is this hard coded?

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 616
RE: Ship Art update - 3/9/2011 10:16:36 PM   
BigDuke66

A question regarding the national flags.
As far as I can see all use the national flags except for Japan who uses the naval ensign(Ok and the semi official "Canadian Red Ensign") correct?
Well for Japan there is already a version with the national flag(I wonder what else is hidden in the depths of the WitP folder).

Some things I found for the flags:
-On the SU flag the star is missing, it looks now like the flag of the Chinese Communist Party http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union .
-India could use a different one flag http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_Imperial_India.svg but as there aren't any differences made between GB & India I guess it would look strange to have that one on the other British holdings
-Maybe the French could use this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_Free_France_1940-1944.svg but I'm not sure if their holdings in the Pacific were part of the Free French or still loyal to Vichy.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 617
RE: Ship Art update - 3/10/2011 6:12:51 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

Some things I found for the flags:
-On the SU flag the star is missing, it looks now like the flag of the Chinese Communist Party http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union .

When you are working with a few (very few number of pixels, you can't get all the details you want without losing them. I tried many different variations for the SU flag and none worked very well - they just looked like yellow blobs. The released version is the best one I could come up with, but you are very more than welcome to find/do a better one! I'm all for that!!!

quote:

-India could use a different one flag http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_Imperial_India.svg but as there aren't any differences made between GB & India I guess it would look strange to have that one on the other British holdings

Correct. We did have a different flag for India, but since it was part of the Commonwealth/BE at the time, it was decided unanimously to use the BE flag

quote:

-Maybe the French could use this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_Free_France_1940-1944.svg but I'm not sure if their holdings in the Pacific were part of the Free French or still loyal to Vichy.

I did a set that uses the Cross of Lorraine (Free French). Didn't know it wasn't included. I posted it almost 2 years ago on this forum. I'll repost it again.

TOMLABEL

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TOMLABEL -- 3/10/2011 6:15:18 AM >

Art by the Rogue-USMC

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 618
RE: Ship Art update - 3/10/2011 6:24:23 AM   
TOMLABEL

Here is a JPEG verson of the in-game BMP of the flags.

Attachment (1)

Art by the Rogue-USMC

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 619
RE: Ship Art update - 3/10/2011 9:45:53 AM   
BigDuke66

Thanks!
Maybe it wasn't included because 2 Islands switched later to the Free French, a pity as the New Caledonia & French Polynesia switched already in 1940, French possessions in India are too small to show up on the map and the Republic of China recognized Free French government as Guangzhouwan's sovereign rulers.

If that side is correct:
http://worldatwar.net/timeline/france/empire40-45.html
1942 May 27
Wallis and Futuna Islands rally to Free French following arrival of the sloop Chevreuil from New Caledonia.

BTW there is also a file called "mapiconsFF_P1" with a French flag, do you know where that is used?

< Message edited by BigDuke66 -- 3/10/2011 10:05:16 AM >

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 620
RE: Ship Art update - 3/11/2011 12:37:08 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

BTW there is also a file called "mapiconsFF_P1" with a French flag, do you know where that is used?

It is not used in-game unless you want to use it. It is an identical set of map icons BUT without the crossed sword combat and based information (exclamation points in yellow and red) icons. To use them, you would changed the name of the current "mapiconsFF" to something else and rename the "mapiconsFF_P1" by removing the "_P1" from the filename.

quote:

I wonder what else is hidden in the depths of the WitP folder.

Well, a few more things.... There are stock WITP land unit buttons included incase anyone didn't want to use the new expanded set for AE. These show up at the bottom of the screen when you click on a base. An example of these files is "Buttons6_A_stock.bmp". If you want to use them, same renaming process as mentioned above.

Also, there are 5 different colors for buttons and map icons that are listed as "spares" incase you wanted to change the color of a nation's units.

The only thing you would have to do is copy the desired flag into the new map icon set and pick the appropirate Button4 spares to get the correct aircraft symbols for the nation you are changing the color on. For example, you wouldn't want to use the British aircraft symbols if changing the color of the US buttons. So there are multiples of the aircraft buttons for each color to get the right aircraft symbols with the new color you want. Make sense?

Then there are also spares for the other buttons: Industry, Land Unit symbols and ship symbols which are generic in the shape of the icons across the board. So on these, you just pic the new color you want and rename the file. There aren't variations of the symbols on these buttons as we had to do for the aircraft buttons.

The alternate colors are Orange, Turquoise, Purple, Gold, and a Khaki Green. Examples of these files are in the pic below.

TOMLABEL

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TOMLABEL -- 3/13/2011 1:25:22 AM >

Art by the Rogue-USMC

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 621
RE: Ship Art update - 3/18/2011 4:17:48 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL

quote:

It is not used in-game unless you want to use it. It is an identical set of map icons BUT without the crossed sword combat and based information (exclamation points in yellow and red) icons. To use them, you would changed the name of the current "mapiconsFF" to something else and rename the "mapiconsFF_P1" by removing the "_P1" from the filename.

quote:

I wonder what else is hidden in the depths of the WitP folder.

Well, a few more things.... There are stock WITP land unit buttons included incase anyone didn't want to use the new expanded set for AE. These show up at the bottom of the screen when you click on a base. An example of these files is "Buttons6_A_stock.bmp". If you want to use them, same renaming process as mentioned above.

Also, there are 5 different colors for buttons and map icons that are listed as "spares" incase you wanted to change the color of a nation's units.

The only thing you would have to do is copy the desired flag into the new map icon set and pick the appropirate Button4 spares to get the correct aircraft symbols for the nation you are changing the color on. For example, you wouldn't want to use the British aircraft symbols if changing the color of the US buttons. So there are multiples of the aircraft buttons for each color to get the right aircraft symbols with the new color you want. Make sense?

Then there are also spares for the other buttons: Industry, Land Unit symbols and ship symbols which are generic in the shape of the icons across the board. So on these, you just pic the new color you want and rename the file. There aren't variations of the symbols on these buttons as we had to do for the aircraft buttons.

The alternate colors are Orange, Turquoise, Purple, Gold, and a Khaki Green. Examples of these files are in the pic below.

TOMLABEL

Has anyone tried any of these yet?? Anyone??

Art by the Rogue-USMC

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 622
RE: Ship Art update - 3/18/2011 5:09:00 AM   
BigDuke66

Question is why should you?

The normal colors seem to fit perfectly so I guess one would only change if there is a problem with seeing a specific color.

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 623
RE: Ship Art update - 3/19/2011 12:47:42 AM   
eloso

quote:

I use them.

I changed the colors all around to suit my tastes. I use orange for the Dutch, grey for India, tan for Canada, and aqua for New Zealand. I also use your FF flag.

Thanks for providing the options.

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 624
RE: Ship Art update - 3/19/2011 1:25:17 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

Question is why should you?

The normal colors seem to fit perfectly so I guess one would only change if there is a problem with seeing a specific color.

No, not really. As released, India, Canada and the British use the same color. I would like to know the difference between my Indian units and Canadian units on-map as well as the bases ownership.

Therefore, I changed my Indian units to the golden color and the Canadian units to the khaki green colors icons. Now, with just a glance, I can tell who is who.

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 625
RE: Ship Art update - 3/19/2011 1:27:01 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: OSO

quote:

I use them.

I changed the colors all around to suit my tastes. I use orange for the Dutch, grey for India, tan for Canada, and aqua for New Zealand. I also use your FF flag.

Thanks for providing the options.

You're welcome OSO. This is exactly what I was talking about. I'm glad someone besides me is liking these alternatives!!!!

Art by the Rogue-USMC

(in reply to eloso)
Post #: 626
RE: Ship Art update - 3/19/2011 2:36:29 AM   
BigDuke66

Indeed now that you say it that orange set would fit perfectly to the Dutch.

The sub-factions(Philippine, Commonwealth, Communist China) don't have their own sets or?

And does the Allied player ever get to see the Japanese set? I thought about using that for Canada.

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 627
RE: Ship Art update - 3/19/2011 3:07:56 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

The sub-factions(Philippine, Commonwealth, Communist China) don't have their own sets or?

No, unless you change India and Canada. The Aussies and NZlanders were released with their own colors if I remember correctly. Not worth the effort for PI and CC.

quote:

And does the Allied player ever get to see the Japanese set? I thought about using that for Canada.

Yeah, just look in the ART folder. There are no other color options for the Japanese except RED for the button icons. The only change you can make here is for the national flag with the map icon set. Tried white, but didn't work out.

Anything else????

Art by the Rogue-USMC

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 628
RE: Ship Art update - 3/19/2011 5:06:51 AM   
BigDuke66

Thanks.
Just looked thru the buttons and saw that some have letter & symbol set off by one pixel so I guess that the letter and symbol have been copied over the colored field, now I wonder if we have a "blank" sets of icons without color in the background so one could use his preferred color.

Oh and do you know why on all mapicons sets the symbol with the two ships(forth from the top) is always in green no matter what color the rest uses?

< Message edited by BigDuke66 -- 3/19/2011 5:09:45 AM >

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 629
RE: Ship Art update - 3/19/2011 12:41:44 PM   
eloso

I believe the double icon of 2 ships represents a spotted task force. I would imagine that it's the same color for all nationalities for FOW purposes.

A decent photo editing program like photoshop could be used to modify any of these to get the desired color. The most important part is to maintain the background pink color since this is transparent in game.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 630
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: New Screen for Surface Combat Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI