Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Arracourt 44

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> Arracourt 44 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Arracourt 44 - 3/22/2011 7:03:11 AM   
emcgman

Up till now I have been mainly playing the SSG games, so I am new to the workings of TOAW.

Here is how I beat Arracourt 44. I wanted to start with a small scenario, of course. It took took me roughly 6 tries as both Allies and Germans, before I finally won a major victory with the Allies.

Looking for feedback of course.

1) Created a defensive line based on unit placement after first turn of Germans. I took enough ground to create a decent line. I kept digging in until I had max entrechment with all units.

2) I bombarded the hell out of front line German infantry units with guns and beginning on turn 4, I believe, with aircraft.

3) About turn 5, I circled a small tank unit behind enemy lines and captured the remaining vp's. Of course they were taken back next turn, but it diverted major German units from the front line. I was then able to win a couple good battles on the front. When my small tank unit was wiped out, I sent another small tank unit on the exact same mission! LOL.

I felt # 3 was a little bit cheating kind of tactic, so please let me know if it perfectly legit wargame strategy tactic.

Thanks again in advance for your feedback.
Post #: 1
RE: Arracourt 44 - 3/22/2011 7:21:34 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: emcgman

Up till now I have been mainly playing the SSG games, so I am new to the workings of TOAW.

Here is how I beat Arracourt 44. I wanted to start with a small scenario, of course. It took took me roughly 6 tries as both Allies and Germans, before I finally won a major victory with the Allies.

Looking for feedback of course.

1) Created a defensive line based on unit placement after first turn of Germans. I took enough ground to create a decent line. I kept digging in until I had max entrechment with all units.

2) I bombarded the hell out of front line German infantry units with guns and beginning on turn 4, I believe, with aircraft.

3) About turn 5, I circled a small tank unit behind enemy lines and captured the remaining vp's. Of course they were taken back next turn, but it diverted major German units from the front line. I was then able to win a couple good battles on the front. When my small tank unit was wiped out, I sent another small tank unit on the exact same mission! LOL.

I felt # 3 was a little bit cheating kind of tactic, so please let me know if it perfectly legit wargame strategy tactic.

Thanks again in advance for your feedback.

Everything seems valid, why not? It's a very small scenario, but I like the unit size (Btl). Try Kasserine '43 as well.

Which SSG games are you aquainted to? Battlefront or the Decisive Campagains (Korsun, Normandy, etc.)?

kLinK, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to emcgman)
Post #: 2
RE: Arracourt 44 - 3/22/2011 8:31:44 PM   
emcgman

I've played Battlefront; Market Garden, and Saipan. Dabbled in a couple smaller scenarios from Korsun Pocket. and dove into beach landing in battles in Normandy. I dont own Battles in Italy, though.

Also, I have Kharkov, but not the accross the Dnepr add-on. I've been broke since it was released, otherwise I would get it in a heartbeat. But now there's WITE! What's a gamer to do?

Overall, Kharkov and Market Garden are my 2 favorites.

But you're right, I like the 2.5 to 4 mile hex scales as well. The larger ones are too abstracted for me to get into.

Even with TOAW variety and depth I just really like the feel and interface presentation of SSG. The first time I ever saw a screenshot, I knew they were the coolest wargames ever made.

< Message edited by emcgman -- 3/22/2011 8:34:17 PM >

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> Arracourt 44 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI