Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

replacement pilot experience dropping?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> replacement pilot experience dropping? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
replacement pilot experience dropping? - 3/23/2011 12:14:28 AM   
Enterprise

its Jan 4, 42 in my 2nd game against AI and I have noticed that USAAF replacement quality has dropped to 29. I have filled most rear area units to 125 percent, but I am limiting the size of frontline units for now in order to maintain experience levels. There are 4465 pilots remaining in the pool of graduated USAAF TRACOM pilits. I have lost 73 planes in A2A combat and a further 200 to other causes.

USN, Canada, Britain, Commonwealth, and China have also dropped 1 point. All except Commonwelth have pilots in the pool.

What am I missing?
Post #: 1
RE: replacement pilot experience dropping? - 3/23/2011 1:49:37 AM   
jmalter

graduated pilots are replacements, not TRACOM. as you suck new replacements into your squadrons, the game gives you the best ones 1st, so the avg. experience of the remaining replacement pilots drops as a result.

transferring high-experience (yellow) pilots to TRACOM is supposed to help raise the exp level of new graduates to the replacement pools. I've read here on the forums that this is best done in groups of 10, on a per-service/nationality basis.

(in reply to Enterprise)
Post #: 2
RE: replacement pilot experience dropping? - 3/23/2011 2:56:28 AM   
Alfred

Rookies out of the "Replacement Pool" come out with experience within a +/- range of their national average. TRACOM pilots assist in reducing the "-" range back towards the national average, but will not improve them beyond the national average.

Alfred

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 3
RE: replacement pilot experience dropping? - 3/23/2011 3:27:39 AM   
Enterprise

OK thanks,

I have read a few times that high experience pilots sent to TRACOM speed up the pipeline but have no effect on experience, but it would make sense if the variance was reduced.

This is not a scientific claim, but I find it hard to believe I have lowered the national average given the number of below 30 exp pilots I have been pulling since day one.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 4
RE: replacement pilot experience dropping? - 3/23/2011 3:38:04 AM   
Alfred

"Speed up the pipeline" might be misinterpreted by some newbies.

Every month, there is a set number of new recruits who enter the training program. IIRC the Soviets have 40 inductees monthly. TRACOM will "speed up" the trainees who are already within the pipeline but will not increase the monthly intake of new inductees above 40. Hence, for the "benefit" of receiving some additional graduating pilots (who go into the "Replacement Pool"), eventually there will be a monthly graduation class of less than 40.

Alfred

(in reply to Enterprise)
Post #: 5
RE: replacement pilot experience dropping? - 3/23/2011 3:49:16 AM   
Enterprise

Thanks,

Yes, I understood that about the pipeline. Forgive my inexact statement.

You didn't challenge my claim that I couldn't have reduced the national avg given the poor quality of what I had drawn. Am I in denial?

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 6
RE: replacement pilot experience dropping? - 3/23/2011 3:59:31 AM   
Alfred

I don't actually attach any weight to that "reduction". It only ever seems to drop by 1 point and considering how low the starting experience of graduates already is plus the variable range (IIRC is 5), it just doesn't seem to have any real practical impact. That 1 point reduction will be quickly made up when the graduate is placed into training in a squadron.

Alfred

(in reply to Enterprise)
Post #: 7
RE: replacement pilot experience dropping? - 3/23/2011 4:35:11 AM   
Enterprise

again thanks,

Ive been monitoring training squadrons and I'm generally pleased with the pace of on map training.

"It only ever seems to drop by 1 point" useful info, I suppose it is what it is

Mark

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 8
RE: replacement pilot experience dropping? - 3/23/2011 5:43:29 AM   
Sredni

I kinda wish there was a way to drive down the experience of our rookie pools. The lower their experience the more training they can get done before hitting 50 XP and becoming dullards who refuse to learn anything new.

Late game (1944) my navy pools are pulling 45ish experience pilots, so I even get a lot above 50 when I refill a training squadron. Which makes them impossible to train to any degree. A pilot starting at 30 XP and 30 skill will be at 50+ xp and 70+ skill after 3 months easy. A pilot starting at 55 xp and 55 skill will be lucky to get past 65 skill after 3 months and will gain hardly any XP either. Seriously starting to hate these "experienced" pilots.

Know who the easiest and best pilots are to train? The dutch ones from the nonexistent dutch pools that start at 10 or less experience.

(in reply to Enterprise)
Post #: 9
RE: replacement pilot experience dropping? - 3/23/2011 6:34:32 AM   
Enterprise

Thanks,

I was drifting towards this realization from from my progress checks of training squadrons. On reflection, it makes my concern over national avg seem kinda funny, but sometimes little annoying details distract us from the big picture.

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 10
RE: replacement pilot experience dropping? - 3/23/2011 2:28:08 PM   
jeffk3510

I have never seen the benefit of TRACOM. Am I missing out an a very important factor in pilot mgt?

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to Enterprise)
Post #: 11
RE: replacement pilot experience dropping? - 3/23/2011 3:12:06 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

I have never seen the benefit of TRACOM. Am I missing out an a very important factor in pilot mgt?

It's useful if you want to save elite pilots to use later in war, especially for Japanese. For Allies, TRACOM is quite insignificant, but I have used to to build elite pilot reserve to draw pilots from later in war. Allies get more that enough pilots as it is and on-map training takes care of low original exp.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 12
RE: replacement pilot experience dropping? - 3/23/2011 3:45:41 PM   
kaleun

Does having a high xp leader improve the speed of training on on-map training groups?
I have some groups in the rear where all the pilots seem to be in their40-45. I have drawn a pilot from TRACOM into these groups to try and increase their rate of training. Does anybody know if it actually works?

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 13
RE: replacement pilot experience dropping? - 3/23/2011 3:52:05 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

Does having a high xp leader improve the speed of training on on-map training groups?
I have some groups in the rear where all the pilots seem to be in their40-45. I have drawn a pilot from TRACOM into these groups to try and increase their rate of training. Does anybody know if it actually works?

It should help. And I think there was also some effect with unit leader Leadership/Inspiration etc.

This is all AFAIK, but especailly with Exp gain, pilots gain exp more if their experience is below squadron average. By bringing in highly experienced pilot, you will increase the number of pilots below that, thus increasing their exp gain. Note also, that pilot will gain Skills easier than Exp, so you may not see major exp gain before your pilot relevant skillsa re lot higher than his exp number.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 3/23/2011 3:57:55 PM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> replacement pilot experience dropping? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI