Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

want a free copy of WITE?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> want a free copy of WITE? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
want a free copy of WITE? - 3/22/2011 2:02:40 AM   
larryfulkerson

So um.........my FITE opponent Kevin and I were playing FITE one day just like we always do and all of a sudden he got involved in WITE and he liked it so much he bought a copy for me. The catch was that I had to play him a game using it. So I downloaded it ( 638 M bytes....about 1/2 hour on broadband ) and started pushing some counters around and I fell in LOVE with it. It's got great graphics and sound effects and details out the ying yang. So to keep the pay-it-forward chain going I bought a copy of WITE and now I'm looking for somebody to want it. The catch is that you have to play me a game using it once you get comfortable with the game mechanics etc. And you have to consider whether or not you want to keep the pay-it-forward chain going ( by giving it to somebody else ). Lemme know, 'cause it's first come first served.

Lemme know either by posting here or send me an email: fulkersonlarry60(at)gmail(dot)com

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 3/22/2011 2:05:35 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/22/2011 10:50:05 PM   
larryfulkerson

Okie dokie everybody.....hold your horses....It looks like we've had a taker.  MurphZ says he's a fan of the Eastern Front and would very much like to give WITE a good home.  Good for him.  We wanna see an AAR Murphz dude.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 2
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/22/2011 10:54:28 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

... I fell in LOVE with it ...

Uh oh, has TOAW lost its biggest fan?

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

Post #: 3
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/23/2011 4:56:38 AM   
murphz

Downloading game
Need some time to training and set up again the RKKA :) i will continue with the pay-it-forward chain, so don't complain

Thanks again to Larry!

- Tattica, Strategia, Abnegazione, Forza -

Personal blog: http://warhut.wordpress.com/

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 4
TOAW was my first love for many years - 3/23/2011 5:45:47 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto
Uh oh, has TOAW lost its biggest fan?

I still like TOAW a lot but WITE is new and different and novel. So I'm going to try to continue my TOAW playtesting duties and play WITE in my spare time.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 3/24/2011 5:53:47 AM >

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 5
RE: TOAW was my first love for many years - 3/23/2011 11:34:46 AM   
berto

Of course, in order to love WITE you have to at least like the Eastern Front. I don't, so TOAW (for its WWII Pacific/Far Eastern content especially) continues to get my love.

Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

Post #: 6
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/25/2011 2:07:31 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

So I downloaded it ( 638 M bytes....about 1/2 hour on broadband ) and started pushing some counters around and I fell in LOVE with it. It's got great graphics and sound effects and details out the ying yang.

Larry, can you elaborate some? Are there things we could incorporate into TOAW (or FITE)?

Post #: 7
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/25/2011 2:58:29 AM   
Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

So I downloaded it ( 638 M bytes....about 1/2 hour on broadband ) and started pushing some counters around and I fell in LOVE with it. It's got great graphics and sound effects and details out the ying yang.

Larry, can you elaborate some? Are there things we could incorporate into TOAW (or FITE)?

Well..... hierarchical OOB, attaching/re-attaching units between formations, volume based supply, creating new units, change a unit's TO&E.. etc

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 8
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/25/2011 6:39:27 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

quote:

Yeah, what Telumar said. There's rules about the morale and fatigue of each individual unit ( TOAW has readiness and supply ) and there's attrition just from being adjacent to an enemy unit ( simulating low-scale snipping back and forth I guess ) and there the aerial re-supply of units which I think is the cat's meow. So those Panzers that are way way out in front of the supply pipeline can still be re-supplied ( somewhat ) and the Soviets can have night flights of transports to supply their partisans ( and drop NKVD supervisors, small arms, explosives, etc. to the partisans )........I mean there's a whole new level of detail in WITE. But the turns aren't so time consuming that play is inhibited. Most of the things a human being can be involved with ( aircraft upgrades, committment of reserve aircraft, rail-road engineers being expedited to specific repair sites, etc. ) are also automated so effectively all the human is there for is to move the units around and squeeze the last ounce of performance out of the units. The manual for this WITE game is almost 400 pages long packed with pictures and verbage to explain just about everything that can happen in the game so I've read it about four times now and I'm STILL "finding" new things. I'm told that WITE is WITP-AE lite. Which means that there's player involvement but not all that much ( WITP-AE is viewed more as a click-fest or "chore" than a game per se. I've seen some of my turns as the Soviet player take about 30 minutes or less. Zort and I can do perhaps four turns per day to each other. But then again we're both retired. There's a controversy on-going about whether or not the winter of '41-'42 is too severe on the Germans and that that reason alone may be the cause of more abandoned games in early '42. But there's a patch ( version 1.04, scheduled for sometime in April ) coming out to specifically address that. So the AAR's dealing with the winter are going to be under development staff survailence to see how the new patch effects things. Or is that affects things? And like Telumar was hinting there's an OOB that is flexible.......you can detach one or more units from one ARMY and attach it( them ) to a different Army on the fly. We're told that disbanding the Soviet Rifle Corps HQ unit is a good thing as it removes an effectively unused link in the chain from the Front HQ unit to the actual rifle division on the front line. Stavka HQ -> Front HQ ( or Military District ) -> Corps HQ -> Army HQ -> Rifle Division(s) is the chain I'm referring to here. And each of those steps in the chain can have supporting units ( engineers, artillery, mortars, etc. ) that they can commit to any of the battles of any of the divisions under their command ( either offensive battles or defensive battles ). And there's a "die-roll" to determine if the committment is successful or not. The thinking is that it's easier to have the supporting units in the Army HQ unit rather in each of the individual divisions as long as there is a "good" leader in charge of the Army HQ. Oh, and leaders have attributes as well, which can vary somewhat around a "national average" for that nation. Serbian leaders suck naturally and German leaders are world class and Soviet leaders vary depending on who you're talking about. And each leader can be "dismissed" and replaced with a better leader by you ( or by the AI that drives the game depending on the win-loss differences). The turns are weekly so they have abstracted out the blowing / repairing of bridges which is one thing I miss from TOAW and I'm not used to units not having to dig in when you stop moving them but go ahead and think of some detail from real life that deals with warfare and it's probably already been dealt with in some form or fashion. You'd have to peruse the manual to see what I mean. The learning curve is steep ( like in TOAW ) but that's only because of all the details you can have an effect on. Gameplay is rather simple though. Did I happen to mention that I really like the aerial re-supply of units? I'm posting a picture that shows the graphic representation of a re-supply mission. The black line is the airplane(s) coming from their home base to the "staging base" where they take on the cargo ( either "supplies" food for the horses, ammo, etc. or like in this case, fuel) and the red line is the actual flight path from the staging base to the individual unit receiving the supplies.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 3/25/2011 6:52:55 AM >

Post #: 9
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/25/2011 3:57:31 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

... attaching/re-attaching units between formations, volume based supply ...

NICE !!

quote:

... the aerial re-supply of units ...

NICE !!

quote:

... a whole new level of detail ...

Confidence and Power are Glams, which is ok for some. Not negative, just not an absolute positive.

quote:

... you can detach one or more units from one ARMY and attach it( them ) to a different Army on the fly.

Why would you do this ?? What are the in-game benefits/consequences ?

quote:

...leaders have attributes as well ...

How many leaders does the player have to manage ? What effect do leaders have on game play ?

quote:

... it's easier to have the supporting units in the Army HQ unit rather in each of the individual divisions ... there's a "die-roll" to determine if the committment is successful or not.

Can supporting units that are attached to an Army HQ be reattached directly to a division in order to avoid the die-roll and assure committment ?

quote:

... each leader can be "dismissed" and replaced with a better leader ...

Do leaders affect all units under them, or only the unit that the leader is directly attached to ?

quote:

... units not having to dig in when you stop moving them ...

NICE !!

(I could read the 400 pages and get the answers)

Post #: 10
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/25/2011 5:45:51 PM   
morganbj

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

quote:

... you can detach one or more units from one ARMY and attach it( them ) to a different Army on the fly.

There are several reasons. One would be to gain better attack coordination, and another would be to take advantage of an adjacent commander's attributes. Shifting a PZ Corps from PZGrp 3 to 2 at a critical moment can do wonders to a penetration. Oh, yeah!

Another little known reason is that units in "reserve" have the ability to reinforce an attack or defense (TOAW does this, too, but not nearly as well). This works only when the unit in reserve is within two command levels of the unit(s) in the main battle. So, putting some panzer units in infantry corps during the winter cna help to blunt several Russian attacks all in one turn. Elegant.

WITE is dedicated to the EF, so it models everything a little better in that theatre. Being an operational game, TOAW was stretched to the breaking point to recreate the EF. I played the hell out of the various versions of FITE, including D21, but they always were forced to compromise reality too much because of limitations of the engine. For example, the mud turns never really worked out all that well in TOAW. (Cease fire just doesn't cut it for me.) The scenario designers did a wondeful job with what they had to work with, but the engine was just too limiting.

TOAW is great, but WITE does the EF quite a bit better, I think.

Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 11
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/25/2011 6:16:03 PM   
Telumar

quote:

TOAW is great, but WITE does the EF quite a bit better, I think.

Agree, but one must say that TOAW was never designed for entire campaigns. It always had its difficulties with it.

While it never hurts to look into other games, compare features and see if a future version of TOAW could benefit from adapting certain features one must also say that quite some things in WitE are on the TOAW wishlist since a long time. Hierarchical, flexible OOB with attaching/re-attaching units, volume based supply just to mention only two.

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 12
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/25/2011 6:50:23 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Yeah, like Telumar said the different leaders have different attributes ( initiative, admin skills, infantry skills, political cashe, etc. ) and some of them are very useful in combat. The skill level ( 5,6, or 7 ) is the number the "die-roll" has to be equal to or less than to "pass" the die-roll check to see if supporting units can be committed to an attack or defense. So you'd want to have each division in an attack attached to the "best" leader for that attack. Same can be said for defense ( about leaders ).

quote:

...leaders have attributes as well ...
How many leaders does the player have to manage ? What effect do leaders have on game play ?

There's a leader for Stavka, one commander for each of the Front HQ ( or Military District ), say about a dozen, one commander for each of the Corps HQ units ( probably about 30 ), and one commander for each of the Army HQ units ( probably about a hundred or less ).

quote:

"
... it's easier to have the supporting units in the Army HQ unit rather in each of the individual divisions ... there's a "die-roll" to determine if the committment is successful or not"

Can supporting units that are attached to an Army HQ be reattached directly to a division in order to avoid the die-roll and assure committment ?

Yes they can but attaching a supporting unit directly to a division would cost 1 "admin point" each and there are only a limited amount of admin points to spend each turn. The number of admin points varies from turn to turn and can be carried over from one turn to the next up to a maximum of 500 admin points.

quote:

... each leader can be "dismissed" and replaced with a better leader ...
Do leaders affect all units under them, or only the unit that the leader is directly attached to ?

If the Army commander fails his die-roll check then the Corps commander is checked. If HE fails then the Front commander is checked. Etc.

(I could read the 400 pages and get the answers)

Be my guest : [ this manual is not up-to-date because of the various patches ]
http://www.mediafire.com/file/a2t5o8dm47368jj/WITE-Manual-%5BLIGHT%5D.pdf

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 13
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/25/2011 7:50:43 PM   
damezzi

That's why I always defended the idea that Toaw must go in the direction of flexibility rather than specialization. It will never compete with specialized engines. A lot of them are better than Toaw in doing specific scenarios. Toaw survived until these days for being able to represent different kinds of conflicts. The recent focus on FITE is a main trap. I have nothing against FITE, but FITE problems can't be solved to make Toaw go to the level of WITE. But a lot of other problems can be solved to make it a lot better for multiple kinds of conflicts, including the recently discussed naval engine and, in my opinion, a better air representation, with reconaissance missions, etc.

Toaw outlived lots of specialized games (of the kind of WITE) by being what it is: an editor for twentienth century conflicts... not trying to mimic those. A better naval and air representation (on a more general level) and a more flexible event editor would make a lot in order to give it some more years of live. In fact, if it had such a flexible editor as advanced tactics has, it would be unbeatable. In AT one can edit terrain, effects of terrain on specific units, specific events based on any characteristic of the game and even effects of one type of unit in relation to other specific type. Yet, Toaw is much more history based because of its database, the number of well researched scenarios and, mainly, because AT has a simplistic production model which distorts OOB extremely, allowing for things like entire mortars or tanks based armies... just too much freedom in gameplay, not portraying historical limitations. Sometimes, limitations come for good.

Post #: 14
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/25/2011 7:52:10 PM   
sPzAbt653

Thanks Mr. Fulkerson !

quote:

... attaching a supporting unit directly to a division would cost 1 "admin point" each ...

As there is volume based supply, do attachments affect supply of the parent formation, or is each unit treated separately ?

Can you attach whatever you want ? For example, can a corp hold 20 divisions ?

Post #: 15
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/25/2011 8:41:14 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: damezzi

That's why I always defended the idea that Toaw must go in the direction of flexibility rather than specialization. It will never compete with specialized engines. A lot of them are better than Toaw in doing specific scenarios. Toaw survived until these days for being able to represent different kinds of conflicts ... But a lot of other problems can be solved to make it a lot better for multiple kinds of conflicts, including the recently discussed naval engine and, in my opinion, a better air representation, with reconaissance missions, etc.

+1

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 16
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/25/2011 10:16:35 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

As there is volume based supply, do attachments affect supply of the parent formation, or is each unit treated separately ?

Each unit is treated separately but they draw their supply from two sources: the owing HQ unit OR from a railhead hex ( defined as a working rail hex).

quote:

Can you attach whatever you want ? For example, can a corp hold 20 divisions ?

There's no limit to what you can attach ( air bases attach to "air" HQ's though ) but there's a catch: each new attachment lowers the chance for a successful die-roll for that leader so there's a practical "limit". The working "limit" is something like 24 divisions per Corps HQ and something like 90 divisions per Front HQ. Something like that. I've owned the WITE game for something like two weeks now so some details are still hazy in my head.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 17
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/26/2011 3:14:06 AM   
sPzAbt653

Thanks again Mr. Fulkerson !

The attachment and supply features are something I hope we can see in TOAW in the future. The experience you and other players will have with these items in WITE might be able to help if this gets onto the to do list.

I'm not so sure about leaders. I understand the benefits of assigning an experienced leader to a formation, but I'm not sure I want to get involved with managing 100 of them. Of course, if TOAW implements leaders in the future, I'm sure it would be design optional. But this would also allow designers to go overboard with that type of feature.

Post #: 18
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/26/2011 7:14:53 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

... Being an operational game, TOAW was stretched to the breaking point to recreate the EF. I played the hell out of the various versions of FITE, including D21, but they always were forced to compromise reality too much because of limitations of the engine. For example, the mud turns never really worked out all that well in TOAW. (Cease fire just doesn't cut it for me.) ...

I know it would be a lot of work (to say the least), but has any TOAW modder tried breaking up the War in the East into discrete campaigns a la Vietnam Combat Operations? Leaving out the problematic mud seasons entirely.

Many (most?) players seem to prefer playing the entire Great Patriotic War from beginning to end as one l-o-n-g scenario. Understandable.

But others (like me) might prefer to play just 1941 to the autumn mud (with a historical beginning). Then just winter 1941-1942 (ditto). Then just 1942 late spring to early autumn (ditto). And so on. (If I were interested in the Eastern Front, that is. )

Sort of like linked campaigns, but always coming back to actual historical starting points.

I dislike very long, multi-year, entire-war war games, because the longer you go, the farther you deviate from history, and the more fantastic (as in "fantasy") the outcome. I tend to like shorter-duration scenarios, because (aside from being more playable) they are more grounded in actual history.

Anyway, just a few thoughts ...

< Message edited by berto -- 3/26/2011 7:15:57 PM >

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 19
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/26/2011 10:52:18 PM   
r6kunz

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

... Being an operational game, TOAW was stretched to the breaking point to recreate the EF. I played the hell out of the various versions of FITE, including D21, but they always were forced to compromise reality too much because of limitations of the engine. For example, the mud turns never really worked out all that well in TOAW. (Cease fire just doesn't cut it for me.) ...

I know it would be a lot of work (to say the least), but has any TOAW modder tried breaking up the War in the East into discrete campaigns a la Vietnam Combat Operations? Leaving out the problematic mud seasons entirely.

Many (most?) players seem to prefer playing the entire Great Patriotic War from beginning to end as one l-o-n-g scenario. Understandable.

But others (like me) might prefer to play just 1941 to the autumn mud (with a historical beginning). Then just winter 1941-1942 (ditto). Then just 1942 late spring to early autumn (ditto). And so on. (If I were interested in the Eastern Front, that is. )

Sort of like linked campaigns, but always coming back to actual historical starting points.

I dislike very long, multi-year, entire-war war games, because the longer you go, the farther you deviate from history, and the more fantastic (as in "fantasy") the outcome. I tend to like shorter-duration scenarios, because (aside from being more playable) they are more grounded in actual history.

Anyway, just a few thoughts ...

RE: linked campaigns. I agree completely. For the reasons you enumerated, I did The Road to Moscow for TOAW, I-VIII. (Crossing the Border, Smolensk, Kiev, Vyasma, At the Gates, etc. One-day turns, Division level, roughly 30-50 turns.)
It is included in TOAW v3.4, and I am working on the most recent updates. Let me know what you think...

< Message edited by HPT KUNZ -- 3/26/2011 11:06:01 PM >

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 20
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/26/2011 11:31:39 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: HPT KUNZ

RE: linked campaigns. I agree completely. For the reasons you enumerated, I did The Road to Moscow for TOAW, I-VIII. (Crossing the Border, Smolensk, Kiev, Vyasma, At the Gates, etc. One-day turns, Division level, roughly 30-50 turns.)
It is included in TOAW v3.4, and I am working on the most recent updates. Let me know what you think...

That's cool. I loaded up a couple of the scenarios from Road to Moscow. Interesting. I'll give these a closer look.

But what I meant was a full-theater, all-encompassing, multi-year linked historical campaign using the FITE map (or its equivalent). Has anybody thought of solving the "mud problem" by that means?

< Message edited by berto -- 3/26/2011 11:46:25 PM >

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 21
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/27/2011 3:21:25 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Yeah, what Telumar said. There's rules about the morale and fatigue of each individual unit ( TOAW has readiness and supply ) and there's attrition just from being adjacent to an enemy unit ( simulating low-scale snipping back and forth I guess ) and there the aerial re-supply of units which I think is the cat's meow. So those Panzers that are way way out in front of the supply pipeline can still be re-supplied ( somewhat ) and the Soviets can have night flights of transports to supply their partisans ( and drop NKVD supervisors, small arms, explosives, etc. to the partisans )........I mean there's a whole new level of detail in WITE. But the turns aren't so time consuming that play is inhibited. Most of the things a human being can be involved with ( aircraft upgrades, committment of reserve aircraft, rail-road engineers being expedited to specific repair sites, etc. ) are also automated so effectively all the human is there for is to move the units around and squeeze the last ounce of performance out of the units. The manual for this WITE game is almost 400 pages long packed with pictures and verbage to explain just about everything that can happen in the game so I've read it about four times now and I'm STILL "finding" new things. I'm told that WITE is WITP-AE lite. Which means that there's player involvement but not all that much ( WITP-AE is viewed more as a click-fest or "chore" than a game per se. I've seen some of my turns as the Soviet player take about 30 minutes or less. Zort and I can do perhaps four turns per day to each other. But then again we're both retired. There's a controversy on-going about whether or not the winter of '41-'42 is too severe on the Germans and that that reason alone may be the cause of more abandoned games in early '42. But there's a patch ( version 1.04, scheduled for sometime in April ) coming out to specifically address that. So the AAR's dealing with the winter are going to be under development staff survailence to see how the new patch effects things. Or is that affects things? And like Telumar was hinting there's an OOB that is flexible.......you can detach one or more units from one ARMY and attach it( them ) to a different Army on the fly. We're told that disbanding the Soviet Rifle Corps HQ unit is a good thing as it removes an effectively unused link in the chain from the Front HQ unit to the actual rifle division on the front line. Stavka HQ -> Front HQ ( or Military District ) -> Corps HQ -> Army HQ -> Rifle Division(s) is the chain I'm referring to here. And each of those steps in the chain can have supporting units ( engineers, artillery, mortars, etc. ) that they can commit to any of the battles of any of the divisions under their command ( either offensive battles or defensive battles ). And there's a "die-roll" to determine if the committment is successful or not. The thinking is that it's easier to have the supporting units in the Army HQ unit rather in each of the individual divisions as long as there is a "good" leader in charge of the Army HQ. Oh, and leaders have attributes as well, which can vary somewhat around a "national average" for that nation. Serbian leaders suck naturally and German leaders are world class and Soviet leaders vary depending on who you're talking about. And each leader can be "dismissed" and replaced with a better leader by you ( or by the AI that drives the game depending on the win-loss differences). The turns are weekly so they have abstracted out the blowing / repairing of bridges which is one thing I miss from TOAW and I'm not used to units not having to dig in when you stop moving them but go ahead and think of some detail from real life that deals with warfare and it's probably already been dealt with in some form or fashion. You'd have to peruse the manual to see what I mean. The learning curve is steep ( like in TOAW ) but that's only because of all the details you can have an effect on. Gameplay is rather simple though. Did I happen to mention that I really like the aerial re-supply of units? I'm posting a picture that shows the graphic representation of a re-supply mission. The black line is the airplane(s) coming from their home base to the "staging base" where they take on the cargo ( either "supplies" food for the horses, ammo, etc. or like in this case, fuel) and the red line is the actual flight path from the staging base to the individual unit receiving the supplies.

Thanks, Larry. But, I'm not sure if I'm all that impressed - yet. I think everything you've mentioned above was also present in War In Russia (Grigsby's earlier EF sim). While WiR was good for it's day, that was long ago. I was hoping WitE would take a big step beyond that. Perhaps it does, but I just can't tell from what's been posted.

Volume Supply. A good thing, but only as good as the model for distributing it is. In WiR, it was very abstracted. As a result, using a few C&C tricks, you could keep the Axis forces fully supplied all the way to the Urals. Furthermore, the entire captured rail net was repaired shockingly fast. Just how is the "volume" transported? Physically, or abstractly?

I'm also concerned about the map shot you showed. No roads? No towns? Are there distinctions between large and small rivers? Between light woods and forest? Between marsh and flooded marsh?, etc. Where are the rail heads? WiR had a very simplistic map.

What about equipment? WiR only had generic squads and artillery. There were tank-types, but that was it. How does WitE compare with TOAW's equipment list?

Post #: 22
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/27/2011 4:00:38 AM   
Panama

quote:

quote:

A lot of stuff people have asked for and been told it's not necessary actually.

Post #: 23
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/27/2011 4:09:09 AM   
Panama

quote:

Volume Supply. A good thing, but only as good as the model for distributing it is. In WiR, it was very abstracted. As a result, using a few C&C tricks, you could keep the Axis forces fully supplied all the way to the Urals. Furthermore, the entire captured rail net was repaired shockingly fast. Just how is the "volume" transported? Physically, or abstractly?

Works great. Even divides up ammo, fuel and supply (everything else). Just like people suggested for TOAW for some time. Oh, and a truck is a truck.

quote:

I'm also concerned about the map shot you showed. No roads? No towns? Are there distinctions between large and small rivers? Between light woods and forest? Between marsh and flooded marsh?, etc. Where are the rail heads? WiR had a very simplistic map.

The way movement is depicted roads aren't really necessary. Towns, lots of them and they have good purpose. Rivers are two types, just like in TOAW. Woods ditto. Swamp is swamp. One size fits all. City, urban, heavy urban, depending on pop.

quote:

What about equipment? WiR only had generic squads and artillery. There were tank-types, but that was it. How does WitE compare with TOAW's equipment list?

Nothing generic. All weapons are modeled down to the individual weapon. The equipment list is a bit more detailed than TOAW. And probably a bit more correct. Have to remember, TOAW is a toolbox type of game. WitE is WitE. Can't really compare the two actually. It's like comparing a 1/2 inch socket to an adjustable wrench. The socket will always fit a 1/2 inch head better. But that's all it will fit.

I bought it and wish I had waited. They are still doing a lot of patching.

< Message edited by Panama -- 3/27/2011 4:18:32 AM >

Post #: 24
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/27/2011 6:44:45 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panama

I'm glad I didn't wait. I'm having a ball even with the patching going on. To each his own I guess.

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 25
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/27/2011 9:05:10 AM   
Raver508

HI Larry. I'll pass on the free copy (I already bought this game) but would love to give you a game if you're up for it? Drop me an email if so.

Post #: 26
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/27/2011 9:42:17 AM   
OGloc

Hi Larry

I'm a bit curious about how much you paid for WITE, as it is sold a surprising 60/65 euros (90 bucks ), rather expensive.

(in reply to Raver508)
Post #: 27
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/27/2011 2:39:45 PM   
Panama

quote:

ORIGINAL: OGloc

Hi Larry

I'm a bit curious about how much you paid for WITE, as it is sold a surprising 60/65 euros (90 bucks ), rather expensive.

I thought so too but went ahead and used up my yearly game budget. If they would drop the price a little or put out a demo they would probably sell a lot more copies.

(in reply to OGloc)
Post #: 28
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/27/2011 2:57:04 PM   
Panama

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panama

I'm glad I didn't wait. I'm having a ball even with the patching going on. To each his own I guess.

Unfortunately for people who are playing the 41-45 scenario the next patch will have a large impact on game play. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2762023

I would suggest people who are considering buying the game and want to know what it's like go to the forum. Lots of information there. I wish they would at least let people have the manual for free since they don't want to do a demo for a very expensive game. It would help.

< Message edited by Panama -- 3/27/2011 2:58:14 PM >

Post #: 29
RE: want a free copy of WITE? - 3/27/2011 3:08:11 PM   
macgregor

quote:

I could only hope that a game designed to do just the Eastern Front would be the best representation. And that players of only this scenario would move on. But alas, I am wrong. TOAW will likely continue to neglect it's unique advantages in concept in order to pursue one specific scenario.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> want a free copy of WITE? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI