Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Providence Lost: A 42-45 multiplayer grand campaign game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Providence Lost: A 42-45 multiplayer grand campaign game Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Providence Lost: A 42-45 multiplayer grand campaign game - 3/24/2011 7:00:37 PM   
fiva55

Time: The morning of 01 May 1942

On his plane heading back to Germany, Hitler could be found dozing off in his chair. He had just recently put a long and exhaustive meeting with his frontline commanders behind him, and was now getting his well deserved rest.
After all, plans of a new offensive the coming summer had been finalized and he was confident that this would be the year that the Soviet Union would fall.

Suddenly, a loud explosion and the sky was lit up orange. Then silence returned over the vast expanses of the Soviet Union.

All that the rescue workers later could find where the wreck of Hitler’s Focke-Wulf 200 Condor
and the unrecognizable remains of what was presumed to be Hitler and his entourage.

What had happened to the plane? Some attributed the crash to an unexpected attack by Soviet fighters. Others whispered about a conspiracy. All that was certain was that Hitler had finally lost his famed luck.
The big question was: Would the loss of providence also apply to Germany itself? Only time will tell.

While the fight for the leadership of Germany began, the frontline troops could only wait and see where their new political masters would send them...

----------------
Players:
Axis: fiva55
Soviet: Jajusha

Experience: Both of us have played and finished several server based games against each other and other players as both Axis as Soviet. This will be the first 42 campaign game for the both of us, although Jajusha has experience with the 41 GC that I lack.

Settings:
Version 1.03
Full FOW
Non Random Weather
Normal difficulty

Strategic overview 6/27/1942

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 4/24/2011 12:47:20 PM >
Post #: 1
Turn 1: General Plan - 3/24/2011 10:37:00 PM   
fiva55

Turn 1

Order has been restored in Germany. Although no contact has been allowed with the homefront, rumors on the frontline is that Himmler has been arrested on the grounds of high-treason and executed. Several highranking officers have taken power.
For now the SS has been taken over by Reinhard Heydrich, who has formed an uneasy alliance with the army leadership. The new head of Germany is General Ludwig Beck.

Fall Blau, our planned strategic summer offensive, has been presumed leaked to the enemy.
After all, if Soviet intelligence has managed to discover the flightplan of our Führer, it can be assumed that they also know of our plans for the coming summer.

Therefore, some adjustment have been made to the original plan:

1) Army group South will still advance eastwards according to plan. The first defensive line looks thin and should be easily breached. Although enemy reinforcement can be expected to arrive soon in this area, this is to our advantage. Our hope is that our attack in this sector will attract significant amount of enemy reserves, allowing an easy advance of our main thrust.
  • Every effort must me made to maximize damage with the allotted assault forces while minimizing our own. Wherever possible we will use deliberate assaults.
  • The main goal is not to advance as far as possible but too shorten our lines in this sector, allowing us to reform our regiments into divisions and form a strong and coherent defensive line.
  • We will stop our advance South when we encounter strong enemy resistance and fall back to a defensive position. Our hope is when this occurs, the main assault of our Summer offensive will be well under way.
The strategic goals of this year are to improve our position and shorten our lines. This should enable us free troops for a decisive offensive the coming year. Target of opportunity are Leningrad and Moscow.

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 2
Turn 2: Start of the Southern offensive - 3/24/2011 10:47:29 PM   
fiva55

Our Southern offensive has started well. In some sectors we have advanced as far as 70 miles within 2 weeks. Although we lack armour support, infantry with attached assault armor are proving that they can do the job. We estimate that Rostov will fall within a week.

Overview of our advance South

Attachment (1)

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 3
Turn 2: Vladimirskoe Pocket - 3/24/2011 10:51:20 PM   
fiva55

Meanwhile, a target of opportunity has arisen and we managed to surround and destroy 11 Soviet units, resulting in over 70.000 enemy casualties.

Pocket formed around Vladimirskoe, north of Smolenks.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/24/2011 10:52:31 PM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 4
Turn 3: The main thrust - 3/25/2011 12:04:08 AM   
fiva55

Damnation, perhaps lady luck really left us when our Führer died. A month of planning, weeks of carefully assembling the forces and all our losses sustained by our diversionary attack in the South, all ruined because of a lucky Soviet recon plane....

Still, most of our armoured forces have arrived, and there is no need to camouflage our efforts now. Now is the time to trust the skill and courage of the German soldier!

German forces ready to break through Soviet reinforced lines

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/25/2011 12:06:57 AM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 5
Operation Citadel - 3/25/2011 1:09:11 AM   
fiva55

Codename: Operation Citadel

German OOB
4th Panzer Army
-8 panzer divisions
-5 motorized divisions
-3 infantry divisions

9th Army
-3 panzer divisions
-1 motorized dvision
-4 infantry divisions

Reserve
4th Panzer Army
-Wiking SS Motorized Division

4th Army
-1 panzerdivision

3rd Panzer Army
-1 panzerdivision

11th army
-6 infantry divisions

Plan
Having located a weak spot in the flank of the Velikie Luki salient, located near Rzev, plans had been drawn too carefully relocate the armour intended for the orginal Fall Blau to Rzhev. The spot chosen for the breakthrough was ideal tank country, and provided that the enemy didn't retreat or reinforce his defences prematurely, the entire salient could be trapped by driving straight through the Rzev corridor to the Valdai Hills. Therefore, every effort had to be made to fool the enemy into thinking that we had commited most of our armour elsewhere.

The original plan called for 11th Army to open a gap in the Soviet lines with help of elements of 9th Army, thus allowing 4th Panzer Army to drive straight to 16th Army, located on the other side on the Valdai Hills. After the salient had been trapped, it could be piecemeal destroyed by 16th army and 9th army. 4th Panzer Army could either strike south towards Moscow, or north toward the Fins, depending on the situation.

Unfortunately, Soviet intelligence got lucky and discovered our massing of troops before the entire force was assembled. Although most of the mobile forces have arrived, 11th army, which had been chosen to make the breakthrough, was still 1 week away.

The Soviet defensive line has been reinforced by their guard units, and considerable more effort has to be made to break through while having 6 less infantry divisions of 11th army to do so. The plan has now been slightly adjusted, using our reserves and part of 4th Panzer Army to make the breakthrough, allowing the rest of 4th Panzer Army to drive to the Valdai Hills.

Infantry of 9th army are preparing to clear the way for 4th Panzer Army

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/25/2011 1:26:44 AM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 6
RE: Operation Citadel - 3/25/2011 1:29:26 AM   
Infanteer

Wow - that'd be a nice pocket if you pull this off; good luck!

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 7
Breakthrough achieved - 3/25/2011 10:26:02 AM   
fiva55

Our forces executed the plan perfectly. The salient has been closed off and one our our spearhead panzerdivision is within 70 miles of Moscow. The next few weeks will see if it will fall.

Meanwhile, 11th Army has finally arrived and will be used to secure the pocket. With the elimination of this pocket, large parts of 9th Army and 16th Army will be freed up for further offensives. The future looks bright indeed!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Infanteer)
Post #: 8
Strategic overview end of turn 3 - 3/25/2011 10:41:19 AM   
fiva55

Recon shows that the enemy has heavily reinforced the sector of Army group South, although the most southern part is suspiciously weak. Perhaps they are trying to lure us in and cut us off?

It doesn't matter. Our main offensive has started and there is no more need for our forces in the southern sector to suffer more losses for little gain. Army group South will consolidate their position and remain defensive for now.

Still, it seems that part of the plan has succeeded. The enemy has moved a a substantial amount of troops to the southern sector, allowing our troops of Army group Center to advance a bit easier.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/25/2011 10:43:06 AM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 9
RE: Strategic overview end of turn 3 - 3/25/2011 2:22:35 PM   
Klydon

Wow.. talk about being taken off balance.

The one thing I think Germans get taken by surprise by perhaps is the mobility of the Russian tank corps. You leave gaps in lines, the tank corps are far better than the brigades/cav divisions of 1941. They are weak combat units however, but still.

Be interesting to see how this plays out.

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 10
RE: Strategic overview end of turn 3 - 3/25/2011 3:04:26 PM   
fiva55

Indeed, beginning this turn I encountered several of them, trying to infiltrate my lines. I managed to beat them back, but at the cost of much needed movement points of my mobile units.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 11
RE: Strategic overview end of turn 3 - 3/25/2011 3:10:37 PM   
fiva55

Desperate to help their comrades, Soviet troops stormed the Valdai Hills and managed to drive off our troops for a short time and open a supply line.

There success however was short lived, and within hours counter attacks by the 4th Panzer Army managed to close the gap again

Soviet artillery fires on German positions on the hill in preparation for their charge

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/25/2011 3:11:55 PM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 12
Turn 4: Salient closed again - 3/25/2011 3:17:54 PM   
fiva55

Soviet reinforcement arrive in mass, trying to open the encirclement. For now, we decide to abandon our drive to Moscow in favour of establishing defensive lines along the Shlina and Tveritsa rivers.

Meanwhile, in the south, Soviet troops are probing our defensive lines, trying to find a weak spot.
Massive troop concentrations have been discovered by our recon planes, but Felmarschall Fedor von Bock of Army group South assures us that thanks to our timely withdrawel to defensive positions, we should be able to hold as long as Army group Center keeps up the pressure.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/25/2011 3:19:31 PM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 13
Moscow prepares for a siege - 3/25/2011 5:36:40 PM   
fiva55

The pockets holds! Already more then 10 enemy divisions have surrendered before the inevitable.

Meanwhile, the Soviets desperately try to reinforce their defences around Moscow.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/25/2011 5:37:53 PM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 14
Moscow prepares for a siege: part 2 - 3/25/2011 5:39:23 PM   
fiva55

Several captured Soviet units have posters on them:

According to our translators, the poster proclaims: "We will defend Moscow!"

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/25/2011 7:33:08 PM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 15
Towards Leningrad - 3/25/2011 5:45:11 PM   
fiva55

And for now, they may keep Moscow.

4th Panzer Army has been redirected and is now heading towards Leningrad to link up with 18th Army.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 16
RE: Towards Leningrad - 3/25/2011 7:27:47 PM   
Infanteer

Very good job on seizing oppurtunities - it appears you are always 1 step ahead of your opponent.

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 17
RE: Towards Leningrad - 3/25/2011 9:22:38 PM   
fiva55

That's the only way to have a chance. The Soviet troops in the 42 campaign have a pretty good defensive value and the Soviet player has enough reserves to almost instantly reinforce threatened area's.

Only by keeping them guessing your axis of attack can you prevent them from throwing a carpet of troops before you.

(in reply to Infanteer)
Post #: 18
No rest for the weary - 3/25/2011 9:27:36 PM   
fiva55

After almost continuously campaigning, the troops of 4th Panzer Army are beginning to show signs of fatigue. But morale is still high and the promise of a great victory urges us on.

Due to constant battle troops of 4th Panzer Army don't even have time to shave

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/25/2011 9:31:15 PM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 19
Turn 6: the advance towards 18th Army continuous - 3/25/2011 9:35:26 PM   
fiva55

Spearheads of 4th Panzer Army have advanced over 70 miles towards 18th Army. Although they encountered several dug in troops, most of the enemy reserves are are still around Moscow.

Meanwhile, the encircled Soviet troops left behind are slowly but certainly being forced to surrender.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/25/2011 9:37:21 PM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 20
Turn 7: The enemy counter attacks - 3/25/2011 11:15:36 PM   
fiva55

In the morning of 1/8/1942

"We are being overrun by enemy tanks! We need reinforcement!" These desperate calls can be heard over the radio in the sector of 11th army.

Several enemy tank corps manage to penetrate our flanks in an unexpected counterattack and cut off large parts of 11th Army and 4th Panzer Army. Although we should be able to re-establish contact, our planned attack had to be called off due to lack of supply.

From the viewpoint of a T-34: Antitank teams of 11th Army desperately try to stop the tide of T-34 tanks coming in

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/25/2011 11:36:58 PM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 21
Turn 7: A tactical overview - 3/25/2011 11:20:25 PM   
fiva55

Several enemy tank corps manage to penetrate our flank defenses. Luckily we had 2 panzer divisions in reserve to counter attack and re-establish contact with our spearheads.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/25/2011 11:21:41 PM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 22
RE: Strategic overview end of turn 3 - 3/25/2011 11:46:35 PM   
fiva55

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon
The one thing I think Germans get taken by surprise by perhaps is the mobility of the Russian tank corps. You leave gaps in lines, the tank corps are far better than the brigades/cav divisions of 1941. They are weak combat units however, but still.

Despite your warning I still underestimated those tank corps. I'm too used to those low CV tank brigades/divisions in 1941 :P.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 23
RE: Strategic overview end of turn 3 - 3/26/2011 3:57:40 AM   
hfarrish

I am playing a 42 campaign for the first time (and for the first time as the Germans overall as well). Did you move all your armor up north immediately? Seems to have paid dividends - I went for pockets in the South and then pulled out and refitted armor before sending it north to try the same thing. Had to settle for attempting to pocket part of that salient, and the end result is still to be seen.

Interested to hear how you set up the panzers for the pocketing operation...

I had visions of the strike towards Leningrad as well, but your result is looking like what I feared...may just be too far from the salient to pull off. Hope you can make it work!

Hugh

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 24
RE: Strategic overview end of turn 3 - 3/26/2011 7:12:15 AM   
Tarhunnas

Interesting strategy, and nice breakthrough in the north! This is a completely different strategy than the one I used in http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2739973 (not so very successfully it appears), and so far it seems to yield impressive results. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out in the long run.

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 25
RE: Strategic overview end of turn 3 - 3/26/2011 9:21:51 AM   
fiva55

quote:

ORIGINAL: hfarrish

I am playing a 42 campaign for the first time (and for the first time as the Germans overall as well). Did you move all your armor up north immediately? Seems to have paid dividends - I went for pockets in the South and then pulled out and refitted armor before sending it north to try the same thing. Had to settle for attempting to pocket part of that salient, and the end result is still to be seen.

Interested to hear how you set up the panzers for the pocketing operation...

I had visions of the strike towards Leningrad as well, but your result is looking like what I feared...may just be too far from the salient to pull off. Hope you can make it work!

Hugh

Since every wannabe historian would expect a strike south, I gave my opponent what he wanted. I assaulted south the first turn with all of my infantry, supported by 2 panzer divisions. My opponent took the bait and moved reserves behind the river line, anticipating my remaining armour to make a debut.

He would see them soon enough, however not in the South. The first turn I had already begun relocating 4th Panzer Army, reinforced by 2 more Panzerkorps and the Wiking SS mot division from 6th Army, 1st Panzer Army and Army Group South reserves. I was able to pull 4th Panzer army away because by then I had straightened my lines enough to fill the gap with infantry from 2nd and 6th Army. 11th army, with it's essential infantry that would have to keep my flanks secure, had just finished capturing Sevastopol and would be railed towards Smolenks from turn 2 onwards.

In turn 2 my lines were straightened enough to merge my regiments into divisions and create a cohesive line. By then, most of my armour had been gathered around Smolenks, and I used them to eleminate the pocket north or their location, before gathering a few miles behind Rzhev. This was all in the same turn, so perhaps I should have waited one more turn, before gathering around Rzhev. It might have prevented my opponent from discovering me 1-2 turns too early.

The key in this scenario I find is to strike hard and fast at unexpected locations, or risk getting bogged down. For example, he managed to gather 3 guard division and raised his defensive value from around the 10 to 40+ at the spot chosen for the breakthrough. That was in the same turn when he discovered my mass of troops around Rzhev, and he could probably send more reinforcement if I allowed him.

Although 11th army was still too far away to make the opening assault, I decided to go ahead with the operation 2 turns earlier then planned. Since 11th Army was still 1 week away, I had to use part of my armour from 4th Panzer Army to make the breakthrough. Because of that, I did manage to reach the Valdai hills, but didn't have enough mobile troops to get close enough to Moscow to prevent him from building up meaningful defensive positions there.

Still, all was not lost. I had hesitated from the beginning between capturing Moscow and swing north towards the Fins and 18th Army. Now the choice had been made for me. I chose to cross the river at a weakspot and managed to penetrated 70 miles northwards during the first week of fighting. Although I did encounter several entrenched units, their was no real cohesive defensive line that could stop me.

I tried to keep my flanks secure, and every hex of my flanked was filled by an infantry division. However, I underestimated my opponent, and he had gathered 5+ tank corps that managed to sweep away my infantry and cut off my spearhead.

Luckily I had a reserve that had enough combat value to drive them away, but he had cost me the turn. Still, I used that turn to HQ build up. So you need not to fear, I anticipate that I will reach 18th army by turn 9 :P.

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/26/2011 4:42:59 PM >

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 26
RE: Strategic overview end of turn 3 - 3/26/2011 9:26:15 AM   
fiva55

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tarhunnas

Interesting strategy, and nice breakthrough in the north! This is a completely different strategy than the one I used in http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2739973 (not so very successfully it appears), and so far it seems to yield impressive results. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out in the long run.

Indeed, I followed and am still following your AAR with much interest and it was your AAR that inspired me to start mine.

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/26/2011 10:40:01 AM >

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 27
Turn 8: 10 miles from 18th army - 3/26/2011 9:33:14 AM   
fiva55

Our one week rest period has been used wisely, and the RR forced by us by the enemy has been used to resupply our tanks for the final drive towards 18th Army.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 28
Turn 9: Soviet northern front trapped - 3/26/2011 1:15:44 PM   
fiva55

Success! Our rapid advance has taken the enemy completely by surprise, and they are unable to break out.

Thus far, our summer offensive has been a complete success and most of our planned objectives haven been accomplished. With little more then 1 month of good campaigning weather and 4th panzer army in desperate need of refitting, 1 final objective remains: The port of Svirtsa.

Should we be able to reach this important location, Leningrad will be finally cut off a supply line, and should fall before the end of the year. Still, with our mobile units so worn down it will be a hard battle.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fiva55 -- 3/26/2011 1:36:54 PM >

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 29
RE: Turn 9: The entire Soviet front east of Leningrad h... - 3/26/2011 1:41:03 PM   
gids

wow the russians are feeling the water coming to their chin by now :p

(in reply to fiva55)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Providence Lost: A 42-45 multiplayer grand campaign game Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI