Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Das darf nicht var sein!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Das darf nicht var sein! Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/23/2011 6:39:25 PM   
Cribtop

I concur.

The question growing more interesting by the day is "What is Chez' plan?" He appears to be committing minimal forces to both Singers and Luzon, and is even moving slowly in the DEI, Burma and SE Fleet AOs. He must be gathering major strength for a big attack, and it appears this attack will be of the "long leap then backfill" variety. None of what's happening makes sense if his target was India or Oz, as the standard DEI and Singers conquests are almost pre-requisites for these moves (or at least seizing Rabaul and PM if eastern Oz is the target).

Thus it begins to appear that CR's hunch of Hawaii is gaining credence. Either that or a Fiji "cut off Oz" gambit, but that doesn't produce enough VPs.

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 301
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/23/2011 7:24:22 PM   
PresterJohn001

For me in Mid '43 Palembang produces 43% of my total oil. No major centres lost so far and Chinese oil taken too. It may be survivable and infact i was quite looking forward to seeing how well it could be managed in the BigBabes game. I strongly suspect tho that the Allies could easily exploit the fuel deficiency and crash the Japanese economy/position sometime in '43. High tempo, threats that the KB needs to react to and as much attrition as possible. The Japanese player will seek to minimize ship movements, absolutely optimise fuel efficiency of hauling etc and minimize combat losses to reduce HI use in replacements. Probably switch off all merchants production except maybe CVE's, stop all subs, no ship acceleration. Maybe even stop most of the new ships and concentrate on an airforce which doesn't consume fuel (yeah i know !).

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 302
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/23/2011 7:38:19 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: PresterJohn

For me in Mid '43 Palembang produces 43% of my total oil. No major centres lost so far and Chinese oil taken too. It may be survivable and infact i was quite looking forward to seeing how well it could be managed in the BigBabes game. I strongly suspect tho that the Allies could easily exploit the fuel deficiency and crash the Japanese economy/position sometime in '43. High tempo, threats that the KB needs to react to and as much attrition as possible. The Japanese player will seek to minimize ship movements, absolutely optimise fuel efficiency of hauling etc and minimize combat losses to reduce HI use in replacements. Probably switch off all merchants production except maybe CVE's, stop all subs, no ship acceleration. Maybe even stop most of the new ships and concentrate on an airforce which doesn't consume fuel (yeah i know !).

Analyses which have been shared with me do show that Japanese fleet and merchant usage is a key variable in whether Palembang can be ignored for a significant portion of the war. But the Japanese player also has a great deal of control over his use of ship fuel. He doesn't have to make the KB go charging all over creation, tearing from the Kuriles to the IO and back again. He doesn't have to do deep raids. He doesn't have to lavishly supply the Marshalls and Gilberts, etc. It's fine to advocate that the Allied player try to force him to engage, but the Japanese player can choose where that happens, either close to home or far out east. In 1942 and some of 1943 the Allied player's upgrades and other force variables are going to make a "forward bleed" strategy expensive in sinkings and damage, and his yards and large harbors are far to the rear in those months.

As before, any advocacy of letting Palembang alone in the initial advances rests on the Japanese not ignoring the other core sources of POL: Borneo, Java, and northern Sumatra. The Japanese can't not take P. and also dwaddle on Borneo for example, unless he perhaps has the most aggressive auto-vic plan imaginable in mind.

But a lot of common Japanese sea-borne practices might be optional if a fuel/oil conservation mode of play is chosen. There's something to be said for making the Allies come to you, with the inherent risks to him that entails.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 3/23/2011 7:41:00 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to PresterJohn001)
Post #: 303
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/24/2011 8:19:37 PM   
Canoerebel

1/7/42

The Japanese have been uncharacteristically quiet everywhere (except China) and have failed to make the minimally necessary advances in the DEI, leading me to believe that something huge is up...but I just don't know what it might be.

Eastern DEI: The only major Allied operation here at the moment is the attempt to retrieve the big CD force from Tarakan for transport to Oosthaven. I've spread the four Allied cruiser/DD forces amonng three Java bases so that a sudden carrier raid doesn't catch all my eggs in one basket. I'm also retrieving the Kendari garrison to Soerabaja by airlift.

Western DEI: Palembang AV up to 671; Oosthaven AV to 154; Singapore AV to 935. The Japanese haven't crossed the causeway into Singers, yet, and they discontinued bombing efforts after the fighter ambush of several days ago. Port Blair AV is up to 48 and should reach 50 before the Japanese eliminate 6th Indian Brigade (currently at Alor Star). Somebody asked about Port Blair - against a competent Japanese player I'd be inclined to create a garrison strong enough to withstand a paratroop assault, but not strong enough to constitute a major POW camp when the enemy comes calling in strength.

NoPac: Lex and Sara are retiring to the West Coast to join Ent and York (my spidey senses are tingling over Hawaii). Most of the RCT is ashore at Attu, and the battalion at Dutch Island. Engineers are on the way to Attu.

CenPac: An tank regiment is boarding transports bound for Hilo. I need to send a RCT, but I'm reluctant to spend the necessary PP as I want to use them in the DEI to pull one of the Aussie brigades from Singers when the time comes. I'm very conflicted over which is the most pressing need. I'll probably guess wrong.

One Month into the War: The Allies are in great position at the moment, with no active IJ offensives apparent (other than routine stuff at Singers and on Luzon). This is the calm before the storm, so I'm trying to make sure I have appropriate pickets in place. The reshuffling of forces in the DEI is a high priority. I've also taken steps to reinforce Sumatra in a major way if Steve should make a major move on Hawaii or Australia (two Aussie brigades now at Aden are bording ships bound for Sumatra). American aircraft will begin arriving in big numbers in Capetown any day now. I've got to decide whether to send them to Oz or India, with the former probably to get the nod (for use in the DEI) if things continue to look favorable over the coming weeks. Oz is underprotected at the moment, as is Hawaii's big island...but that's the tense situation caused by political point shortages.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 3/26/2011 12:48:16 AM >

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 304
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/26/2011 12:46:36 AM   
Canoerebel

1/8/42

Western DEI: Palembag AV 678; Oosthaven 159; Singapore 940. The Allies are hard at work transfering units to Oosthaven and Palembang. Right now, all eyes are on a lone xAKL carrying some big guns from the Tarakan CD unit to Oosthaven. It's a small ship in dangerous waters, so the odds are against her. No signs of enemy movement in the area. The recent fighter ambush even squelched enemy bombing raids, except in the central Malay peninsula where Steve is working over what's left of 6th Indian Brigade (most of that unit has been split between Palembang and Port Blair).

Eastern DEI: The weird quiet continues.

Philippines: IJA 21st Division has arrived at Clark Field. That's the first enemy division I've seen anywhere except China. SigInt had given repeated indications this unit was aboard marus bound for Babeldoab, so I wonder if Steve had some change of heart that led him to change his plans.

Enemy Bombing: The Japanese are pounding away at units on Luzon, but failing to hit port or airfield facilities so that base-buidling continues. I think Clark and Bataan could both reach level four forts if Steve doesn't do something. Same thing down at Singapore and Palembang. No effort being made to halt base building. Curious.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 3/26/2011 12:48:26 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 305
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/26/2011 12:53:34 AM   
GreyJoy

You really think it's possibile for your opponent to invade Hawaii letting you sit in western DEI so easily? Wouldn't be that too risky for him?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 306
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/26/2011 3:58:31 AM   
Canoerebel

Sure, it's possible. Whether or not it's probable I can't say. That fact that this is Scenario Two means alot of things are possible. The fact that I don't know my opponent well makes it difficult to figure out what he's thinking and what he might do. I don't think Hawaii is a Japanese player's strongest gambit, but a good Japanese player might prove me wrong. However, at the moment I'd rate Hawaii as third or fourth on the list of likely IJ grand strategies. That's high enough to have my attention.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 307
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/27/2011 9:41:52 AM   
Canoerebel

1/9/42

Western DEI: Palembang AV 683 (forts about to go to three); Oosthaven AV 164 (forts about to go to two); Singapore AV 941 (forts 3.5). The xAKL carrying most of the Tarakan CD guns to Oosthaven mated up with two destroyers and will pass Balikpan tomorrow. Port Blair AV up to 50. The Japanese should wipe out the British units (including the remainder of 6th Indian Brigade) at Alor Star tomorrow.

Indian Ocean: Weird SigInt report of a maru near the Maldive Islands. Das darf nicht var sein! Transports carryng an Indian brigade from Colombo to Oosthaven is nearing a point well south of Sabang, so another five or six days should bring them to port.

China: A little dance is going on up around Chengyang and Loyang as I try to get my garrisons back to the forested hexes north and east of Sian.

Luzon: Over the past few days, the Allies have roughed up an SNLF at Manila while a Japanese regiment roughed up a Philippino division at Cabantuan. Clark Field forts will go to four in just a day or two.

NoPac: Japanese TF of unknown composition is approaching the western Aleutians. I'm pulling back transports and my CA Houston TF just a bit until I know what it is and where it's heading.

CenPac: Guam fell.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 308
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/27/2011 1:26:44 PM   
princep01

Just one sailor's view, but I believe that your early aggressive moves, along with the tactical defeats you laid on JJ, have made your opponent overly cautious. This, in turn, has had a strategic impact, to wit: his advance has become unusally slow. By the time the Japanese tide kisses the shore at Palembang, it will be reduced to a gentle wave. It is still early, but you may have already won the war as a result of your early aggression. Nicely done. Bill Halsey wasn't always wrong.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 309
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/27/2011 2:19:37 PM   
JohnDillworth

I think your early slap down of his AO's make long leaps a lot tougher that that hight have been. It would be hard to keep the KB fueled up around Hawaii for a long time. He might get a ton of fuel if he captures it but unless he is on the way it might already be too late.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 310
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/27/2011 11:53:34 PM   
Canoerebel

Gentlemen,

I'm compiling a list of Japanese divisisions at the start of the game, but because several are broken up into smaller units, I haven't been able to put my finger on them. For instance, I'm not sure where 1st and 2nd Divisions begin the game. Here's the list of "unrestricted" IJA divisions at the beginning of the game or in early 1942. This is Scenario Two, so I think there should be about fourteen divisions. I've come up with ten. Can you guys fill in the mssing links?

1st - ?
2nd - ?
4th - Osaka
5th - Samah
21 - Shanghai
33 - Nagasaki
38 - 78/60
48 - Pescadores
55 - Battembang
Imperial Guards - Battembang
4th Guards - arrives 3/42 at Cam Ran Bay
6th Guards - arrives 2/42 at Cam Ran Bay

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 311
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/28/2011 12:31:45 AM   
witpqs

Hey CR - is your game with Q-Ball dead, then?

As far as game start Intel:

• Start a head to head game of the same scenario (maybe use a different install to avoid screwing up things).
  • Run Tracker with it set up as you being IJ.
  • Export the LCU's to a CSV file.
  • Open the CSV in Open Office (or MS Office). Freeze the window, sort the way you like it, put on auto-filtering, and pretend you are Allied Intelligence Central.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 312
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/28/2011 12:49:16 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Hey CR - is your game with Q-Ball dead, then?

As far as game start Intel:

• Start a head to head game of the same scenario (maybe use a different install to avoid screwing up things).
  • Run Tracker with it set up as you being IJ.
  • Export the LCU's to a CSV file.
  • Open the CSV in Open Office (or MS Office). Freeze the window, sort the way you like it, put on auto-filtering, and pretend you are Allied Intelligence Central.

Q-Ball just announced he's starting a second CG and AAR as the Soviets, and WitE is in the midst of a "tear up the carpet, floor, sub-floor, sills and joists and re-pour the foundation footings" patch, so I guess his mind isn't over here . . .

Aside, but how could they ship WitE so massively unbalanced that every PBEM CG game ends in or just after the first winter with the Germans prostrate in the snow? If you want to see a development train-wreck go over and read a bit. They're slapping on lipstick and eyeliner, but it's still a pig. Kind of equivalent to the entire USN getting 99 float damge en masse on April 1, 1942.

As far as CR developing an intel center through CSV files, come on, man! The dude doesn't even have a cell phone!!!!

The Moose

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 313
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/28/2011 7:37:43 AM   
Nemo121

He doesn't need a CSV file. The Japs aren't in mainland China ( too late if they had been shipped there), they aren't in th Kuriles, they may be heading for Hawaii, , they may be heading for Suva, they may be heading for NZ, they may be heading for Eastern Oz, they aren't in the Phillipines or Singers in sufficient force for this to be a full bore drive on India. It is simple strategic maths, Japan is focussing on the 3o'clock to 6 o'clock section of the map.

Where in that area CDJ is aiming for is complicated by the fact that I doubt he will be making the strategically optimal choice -I said very early on in this thread that he was making seriously sub-optimal choices. Time has borne this out.

So, I would suggest his plan is to hit either Suva and then NZ or Caledonia and then NZ with a view to bisecting the map. The problem is that with off-channel maps this won't actually stop transfers, just slow them. He should be heading for Hawaii ( if this is his plan) but I doubt he has got his strategic appreciation right so more likely it'll be the southern axis... A poor choice.

As to the oilers -John, their loss will have no impact on any of the current fighting. They are only useful in supporting raiding or deep invasions, neither of which CDJ has ever seemed familiar with. I do think CRs raiding is being effective in tampering with his opponent's Ooda loop though.

As to the strategic analysis. Alfred is spot on, albeit a bit impolitic. The strategic situation and correlation is crystal clear. Many of the options bandied about recently don't stand up once you analyse past the most superficial of issues.

Palembang: it isn't essential to Japan ( I did the analysis which showed the Jap economy can run full bore without any input from Palembang) BUT it is essential if Japan wants to be able to sustain a war of attrition as it supports significant expansion of the Japanese HI. So, his not bothering with Palembang immediately tells us what sort of war he is going for - albeit that given his clear war aims and the clarity of his current plan for the next six months it is clear that his plans for the next six months won't actually properly support hid overall aims - bad, bad strategic analyse and planning on his part. Canoerebel just needs to stay in there and CDJ will handily defeat himself.

CR: I wouldn't worry about India. A strong northern Sumatra protects it rather well AND CDJ's focus is on the 3 to 6 o'clock area anyways, most likely the 4:30 to 6 area specifically really.

Ps ija 21st rerouting is almost certainly a sign of his changing his strategic plans and that's a sign he got his initial strategic calculations wrong -something which is very worrying for him as he had perfect intel for their planning, as I said before, he won't win this game. That much was clear from the end of the first ten days.

Sorry for the semaphoric nature of the post but typing on the iPad isn't the easiest so I'm summarising a lot.

< Message edited by Nemo121 -- 3/28/2011 7:38:32 AM >

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 314
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/28/2011 1:51:21 PM   
paullus99

Strategically, Canoerebel will get the most benefit out of the concentration at Palembang by creating the impression of strength in an area that is "historically" weak & usually a fairly easy walk-over for the typical Japanese player - again, he would lose those troops anyway & a concentration here gives him the best "cost-benefits" ratio for their use. It also, in the best case, turn into a real quagmire for his opponent - especially if he undercommits because of some really large operation geared somewhere else (the autovic offensive).

I do agree with Nemo's assessment that your opponent is probably looking at the East/South/Southeastern part of the map - it doesn't make sense not to go full-bore into the DEI or Singapore if his overall plan includes India. He's not trying to clear his flanks (which would involve grabbing all the DEI & Malaya, ASAP) which leads me to, again, agree with Nemo.

< Message edited by paullus99 -- 3/28/2011 1:53:31 PM >

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 315
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/28/2011 2:41:56 PM   
Canoerebel

1/10/42

Assessment: Thank you for the suggestions, oberservations, and deductions. I don't think my opponent is "cowed," and I do think he's up to something big for this reason. If he had been cowed by the losses he has taken to date, he would be looking at the "sure things" and would have already moved on some of the oil producing bases (that he hasn't moved on any of these is pretty interesting). So I think he must be hoarding all his ships for something big. With the DEI still mostly in Allied hands, it has to be something from (as Nemo puts it) 12 to 6. The Aleutians don't make sense, so that leaves 3 to 6. Hawaii is a big roll of the dice and I don't know if Steve is a gambler, but from a "hoarding all his shipping" standpoint, Hawaii would make sense. The SE islands (Pago Pago, Suva, New Caledonia, New Zealand) hold kind of a mystical attraction to Japanese players who are truly enamored with the real war, so they generally attract more attention than they may be worth. As for Oz, I haven't reinforced this, yet, so it is certainly vulnerable, but I believe I know how I would deal with an invasion there should it come about. Right now, India isn't on my radar simply because the Japanese can't head that way until they have Singapore (and probably Palembang if held strongly by the Allies, as is the case here). There's just no indication yet that Steve is orchestrating things for a move on India. Finally, at this point in the game I still have to err on the side of assuming Steve is aggressive and capable of a big move deep into Allied territory. If Steve moves in a big way from 3 to 6, the Allies will definately convert over to a full-blown "defend Sumatra" campaign, with lots more units going there.

Western DEI: Palembang AV at 686 (and forts just went to 3); Oosthaven at 188 (forts 1.82); Singapore 941 (3.53). The transports carrying an Indian brigade to Oosthaven is perhaps five days out. An Indian brigade newly prepping for Benkolen will arrive at Colombo in two or three days, board transports already there, and move east. No signs of major IJ forces in this region.

Eastern DEI: Japanese TFs of unknown composition and size on a SW bearing nearing Ternate; most likely target if it continues on this course is Kendari.

China: Large IJA concentration to the north, east, and southeast of Chengyang/Loyang. I'm moving my troops back towards the forests to the west and southwest where I can defend the approaches to Sian in depth. Despite some hiccups in the movement routine, it appears that my troops are in good shape to withdraw from the front lines in order.

NoPac: No sign of that IJ TF sighted west of the Attu Island yesterday.

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 316
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/28/2011 6:40:44 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

...and I do think he's up to something big...

If I might share a comical observation: Your opponent solicitation posting stipulated that the IJ player goes for auto-victory. This reminds me of the scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, where the knights are getting their orders from God and one of them remarks "Oh, that's a good idea, Lord!"

The rejoinder was "OF COURSE IT'S A GOOD IDEA!!!"

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 317
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/28/2011 9:00:08 PM   
Canoerebel

1/11/42

In many ways, this was not a good day for Japan, and it seems to offer alot of additional information upon which to evaluate what my opponent might be up to and how aggressive and thorough he will be.

NoPac: A two-carrier IJ TF (Shokaku and Zuikaku, plus CAs Aoba and Kinugasa) ran across a picket AM patrolling southwest of Amchitka Island. No harm done, and the KB doesn't fly any strikes during the day. This TF is covering a reinforcmeent convoy bound for Amchitka. Lex and Sara just reached Seattle, so I can't respond, but I can think of plenty of good reasons for a Japanese player not to commit a couple of carriers way up here. I'd gladly take a 1:1 contest if my carriers were still available. Also, this tells me where two big carriers are. (Note: Shokaku took a torpedo shortly after Pearl Harbor, so she's already repaired).

Eastern DEI: The IJ shipping recently seen moving SW seems to have pulled into Ternate. I thought they might be bound for Kendari. It's time for Steve to press down here, so I'll keep an eye out for developments. The xAKL carrying most of Tarakan's CD's guns is nearing Bamjermasin enroute to Oosthaven.

Singapore: The Japanese crossed the causeway and shock attacked at Singapore. The attack was understrength - just one division (Imperial Guards) and some help. The attack came off at 1:5, didn't touch the forts, and cost the Japanese 400 squads (200 combat). This is a bad start for Japan. It's also the reason I decided not to pull out the two Australian brigades. I had a pretty good hunch that Japan might not bring enough. I considered counter-attacking tomorrow, but the Allied AV dropped from 941 to 791. I'd rather recover the disruption than roll the dice. [In my other game, Q-Ball's troops crossed ten days later with two divisions opposing just 750 AV; Q-Ball got 1:1 odds and dropped forts from three to two.]

Western DEI: For Steve to make any headway in Singapore, he'll need to bring forward another division. If he was prepared to do so, he may be in fine shape. If he isn't, this could mess up Japan's timetable. Meanwhile, I will continue beefing up Sumatra's defenses. At the moment, Palembang is 691 with 3.02 forts; Oosthaven is 202 with 1.9 forts).

China: The Chinese stacks at Loyang and Chengyang were able to pull back and should be able to make the forested hexes to the rear.

So now What? The Allies have two Indian brigades and two Aussie brigades on transports bound for Sumatra. I'm giving careful consideration to beefing that up and also reinforcing Port Blair. One RCT of Americal just arrived at East Coast. I'm sending it on to Capetown. An argument could be made to send it west to Hawaii, but I'm increasingly inclined to make a big play in Sumatra, the Bay of Bengal, and possible Burma if the Japanese move east or south towards Hawaii, New Zealand, or Australia. In other words, rather than feeding men and ships into that battle in early 1942, I'll reinforce in SEAC.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 3/28/2011 9:01:27 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 318
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/28/2011 9:22:56 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

NoPac: A two-carrier IJ TF (Shokaku and Zuikaku, plus CAs Aoba and Kinugasa) ran across a picket AM patrolling southwest of Amchitka Island. No harm done, and the KB doesn't fly any strikes during the day. This TF is covering a reinforcmeent convoy bound for Amchitka. Lex and Sara just reached Seattle, so I can't respond, but I can think of plenty of good reasons for a Japanese player not to commit a couple of carriers way up here. I'd gladly take a 1:1 contest if my carriers were still available. Also, this tells me where two big carriers are. (Note: Shokaku took a torpedo shortly after Pearl Harbor, so she's already repaired).

Goodness me! A Japanese player who splits the KB?!

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 319
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/28/2011 9:36:30 PM   
Cribtop

The heavy move in NOPAC could be designed to cover the flank of a Hawaii op (or could be maskirovka or a concession to the fact you like to make moves in the Kuriles). Interesting indeed. I will also +1 the poster who mentioned that you explicitly asked for an opponent who would go hard for auto victory. This opens up high risk high yield options if the Japanese player truly goes for broke.

< Message edited by Cribtop -- 3/28/2011 9:37:59 PM >

Post #: 320
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/28/2011 9:39:19 PM   
Canoerebel

I think he's split the KB, although there's a chance the rest of the KB can be lurking nearby. The reason I think it's split:

1) Minneapolis TF ran across IJ carriers, definately not a Mini KB, near Luganville on 12/26. These carriers could have made it to NoPac over the ensuing 16 days, but that's a long haul.

2) AM Oriole definately sighted just one TF of the ships noted.

John III, the rascal, is known for splitting the KB, but it's a risky move. More telling is that it lets me know where his carriers are located. Even more importantly, it suggests he's put a pretty high value on Amchitka and the Aleutians, which are not fertile grounds for a Japanese victory.

As for my ad in "opponents wanted," I don't recall specifically requesting an opponent who would go for auto victory. As I recall, I stated that Scenario Two offers an aggressive and experienced IJ player a shot at auto victory, and that I wanted a player of the caliber. If I had to place a bet on Steve's intentions at the moment, I'd have to place it on "not going for auto victory."

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 3/28/2011 9:40:36 PM >

Post #: 321
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/28/2011 11:23:33 PM   
Canoerebel

1/12/42

SigInt: Part of 33rd Division is aboard a maru bound for Iba. If true, which I should be able to confirm in a week or less, this means Steve is reinforcing his attack on Luzon; that, in turn, indicates that he must be in a complete state of flux, unsure at the outset exactly what he wanted to do and what he would need where. I'm still mulling this over, but the Allies are begining to get the notion that a forward defense is a good idea.

NoPac: Shokaku and Zuikaku are still up here escorting troop transports that have arrived at Amchitka.

Easten DEI: Still quiet.

Western DEI: Palembang is 704 (3.03 forts); Oosthaven 254 (1.99 forts); and Singapore 809 (3.55 forts). The Singapore garrison recovered 18 on the disruption that resulted from the IJ shock attack yesterday. At that rate, the garrison will be fully recovered in a a week. The xAKL carrying most of the Tarakan CD guns will reach Oosthaven in two or three days. An Indian brigade is about four days away from Oosthaven. Another brigade starts loading at Colombo tomorrow. The two Aussie brigades will exit the Aden channel in three days (they have a long way to go). I have two other Indian brigades on Ceylon. I may strip them and send them to Sumatra, probably to garrison Benkolen on the southern coast (or one there and one perhaps at Padang).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 322
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/29/2011 2:48:46 AM   
desicat

I really enjoy following your AAR's, I log in at some point every night and take in the updates. At this point it looks to me that you have thrown Chez totally off balance and disrupted any strategic time tables for invasions he may have had.

You state that he is undermanned in the PI, Singapore, and the DEI. He has split the KB and seems to be reacting more to your thrusts than making you parry his.

I hope he has a surprise in store with the extra scenario 2 forces, but if not this may be over before mid 43.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 323
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/29/2011 3:16:46 PM   
Canoerebel

1/13/42

Today was in important day. After mulling over things, the Allies have committed fully to Fortress Palembang given what we're seeing from the enemy. Additional troops are boarding transports to make the journey to Sumatra. It will take a least two weeks for some of these units to arrive, so there will be time re-evaluate should conditions warrant, but the Allies intend to fight forward.

Eastern DEI: The Japanese still haven't moved forward from Ternate, Manado, and Morotai. I would think that Kendari, Makassar, and perhaps Timor will be next on the agenda, but this is unfolding slowly. The Allies still have transports and tankers moving between Soerabaja/Balikpan and Oz delivering supplies and fuel. In fact, Soerabaja is now low on supplies and nearly out of fuel.

Western DEI: Oosthaven AV is 260 (forts 2.02); Palembang 713 (3.04); Singapore 824 (3.55). The Tarakan CD guns will unload at Oosthaven tonight. Transports carrying an Indian brigade will arrive at Oosthaven in two nights. Still no sign of the Japanese moving on any target other than Singapore. The Allies still hold all the bases on Borneo (!).

The Plan: Two Indian brigades on Ceylon are bound for Sumatra to garrison Padang and Benkolen. Two UK brigades at Bombay are bound for Palembang. Two Aussie brigades that will exit the Aden channel in two days are bound for Oosthaven and Palembang. Two P-39 squadrons at Capetown are bound for Sumatra. It will take time to get these troops in place. If things go downhilll fast over the next two weeks, I can recall some of these troops. But if the Allies are still in good shape in two weeks, Sumatra is going to get a big influx of good units. If Steve's big move is east or south into the Pacific, I'll have a headstart and a green light to proceed. To "fill the vacuum" in India, I will devote Americal Division and any other unrestricted reinforcements that arrive in the USA in coming weeks. A Marine raider battalion and an Army RCT are already on the way to Capetown. I also want to reinforce Port Blair, which currently has an AV of 53. This plan will weaken the eastern Pacific, but Steve is more than welcome to move into that vacuum if it allows me to occupy Sumatra in strength. The American carriers will be heading south from San Diego over the next week, also bound for the southern DEI theater (well, I'm still pondering this move - I like the fact that Steve has Shokaku and Zuikaku in NoPac and wonder if keeping him focused there would pay dividends).

(in reply to desicat)
Post #: 324
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/29/2011 4:27:58 PM   
John 3rd

I thoroughly do not understand your opponent's strategy. You certainly unbalanced his opening moves but the lack of developments does not make sense to me...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 325
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/29/2011 4:43:22 PM   
paullus99

Kudos making the best of the situation as it stands today - a position in the DEI is a lot closer to his vitals than anything he's going to take in the Eastern Pacific (which will be at the end of a very long supply line). Make him fight in your aircover, against your reinforcements is going to be bloody.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 326
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/29/2011 4:46:57 PM   
Canoerebel

Me neither, John. Steve is an experienced player. He has alot of extra goodies to play with in Scenario Two. Something weird is going on. I am almost certain he's preparing for a huge move east or south into the Pacific, for even a green player would by now have taken the very lightly guarded oil bases on Borneo. If he goes for Hawaii, Oz, or New Zealand at this point, my counter would be to flood Sumatra (and possibly Burma) with troops rather than to fight a big battle where he is prepared to fight.

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 327
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/29/2011 5:37:13 PM   
GreyJoy

But you do really believe he hasn't understood yet that Palembang and Sumatra are getting fulfilled with troops and planes? Doesn't he have Mavis on Naval Search in the area or Babs on Recon?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 328
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/29/2011 6:10:25 PM   
Canoerebel

Good question, GreyJoy. At the moment, I am not geting any indications that Steve is aware of what's going on Sumatra. He's not reconning and there's very little IJ presence anywhere close by, with the exception of his somewhat weak move on Singapore.

Something weird is going on. As noted previously, Steve is an experienced player. I think he's also getting some counsel from other experienced players. Chickenboy, for instance, withdrew from my AAR so that he could follow Steve's. So something huge and unorthodox is probably underway.

Still, though, I am puzzled. The failure to attend to Sumatra is a bit of a surprise, but the failure to take the big oil producing bases on Borneo seems to be a case of outright negligence. I'm probably going to pay for sentiments like that....

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 329
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 3/29/2011 6:46:20 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

...the failure to take the big oil producing bases on Borneo...

Do you plan to beef up defenses of those places if they are still yours when Sumatra is finished building? Or do you foresee a counter-attack strategy using your (then) very strong base in the DEI?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Das darf nicht var sein! Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI