Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see next in Distant Worlds?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see next in Distant Worlds? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/15/2011 6:47:10 AM   
Data

That actually sounds very good. I especially like the idea of it being an option so each of us can choose what he/she likes on this.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 61
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/16/2011 3:31:47 AM   
Balakirev

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling
Why can't you force the resolution lower? You could change the resolution of your desktop, and that should affect the game? Of course, depending on OS this may not be possible, and I have not actually tested it in recent games.

Not a bad suggestion, and I can change the resolution from my WinXP desktop. But this solution doesn't deal with the dirty-white-against-grey text backgrounds in the game, nor does it allow me to simply change resolutions within the game, itself--which is a much more elegant way to handle it than manually shifting back and forth before and after playing.

quote:

Customizing ui scale (and font sizes) is a good option to have though. I have a largeish screen and good glasses, so I usually want my fonts and UI elements smaller.

I've considered a game resolution changer TSR, but those take up memory even when not in use, and I've had a few instances of crashes due to using one in the relatively recent past.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 62
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/18/2011 7:20:21 PM   
Gray Death

urgs. Only 3 votes? Damn.

1. More Mod Support

2. More components

3. More Ship roles

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 63
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/18/2011 8:23:56 PM   
pad152

I would also like to see some of the following;

Leaders/Hero's
- Each race gets 5 or 6 leaders
- Some Hero's found or gained through tech research (hero types - increase a planet value, improve production, pilot start ships manage planets/fleets, etc.

New way to Win
- Capture/Eliminate all the leaders of a race

Experience levels
- Ships/Troops get experience through training techs and combat.

Planet Combat
- more detailed planet combat (more troop types, combat options)
- Planet based fighter/bombers

New Spy Missions
- steal ships
- steal ship designs,
- Kidnap/capture leaders/hero's with ransom options
- Bribe leaders/hero's/troops/ships captains
- Assassinate leaders

New techs
-Tech to create Jump gates so you can move ships/fleets to other parts of the galaxy quickly
- New resource types that have to be found and researched before being used.

Trade
- Ability to trade hero's
- Ability to sell/dump resources for money (manually sell resources)
- Loans (get loans/ make loans with other empires)
- Buy/Sell ships, ship designs
- Buy/Sell hero's

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 64
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/18/2011 10:38:52 PM   
Data

most of this is already wishlisted, this is a poll to cut most of the fat of that wishlist and bring the essence to Elliot

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 65
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/19/2011 3:24:07 PM   
Igard

492 votes (that's 164 people with 3 votes each) and still counting.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 66
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/19/2011 11:40:02 PM   
tjhkkr

Nice job on the poll, Igard.

I would like having more characters... but I think I said this already: that might be a coding nightmare at this stage of the game.

It is easy to make seamless computer code when start with a concept; but when you start tacking on new stuff, it can make it a bit more difficult...
I cannot nor will not speak for CodeForce...
But my experience with coding is that the easiest stuff for them to work with will be stuff that fits into the present system... that is why fighters might have been an easy add on -- fit within the existing skeleton.

We shall see.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 67
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/20/2011 2:15:56 AM   
Merker

Hmm, then why not make leaders using the current system? I mean, they could just make a new ship role called "command ship" or something with a new upgradeable component "fleet command" or something with restrictions that you can only have one per fleet and it helps coordinate the fleet, or gives a bonus to speed and such or calls in refueling, coordinates long range fighter strikes and other such support roles, eventually gaining some experience with number of ships killed by fleet or by time spent alive; maybe make it so you can then set up complex permanent commands for the fleet, like patrol sectors 2 and 3, the command ship organizes resupply of the fleet and keeps it in top shape while maintaining the sectors clear without additional input, eventually responding to threats based on their size and the fleet under its command.

The possibilities for the current system are so numerous you only need ideas and the time to implement them. Same goes for crew, you can just make it a resource like fuel and tie it to the life support component and side switching(for when the ship goes derelict).

Just my 2 cents
Cheers

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 68
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/20/2011 2:47:24 AM   
tjhkkr

Hmm, then why not make leaders using the current system? I mean, they could just make a new ship role called "command ship" or something with a new upgradeable component "fleet command" or something with restrictions that you can only have one per fleet and it helps coordinate the fleet, or gives a bonus to speed and such or calls in refueling, coordinates long range fighter strikes and other such support roles, eventually gaining some experience with number of ships killed by fleet or by time spent alive; maybe make it so you can then set up complex permanent commands for the fleet, like patrol sectors 2 and 3, the command ship organizes resupply of the fleet and keeps it in top shape while maintaining the sectors clear without additional input, eventually responding to threats based on their size and the fleet under its command.

Excellent idea. That would work. I think that was what was behind the regional capitol/capital concept.

Again, I cannot speak for CodeForce; I have not seen the code. So there may be some provision for human characters...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Merker)
Post #: 69
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/21/2011 12:49:13 PM   
gnosis

Introduce nothing if it can't be automated. The AI must handle all new features.

1. Fix the UI. Retrofitting the private sector including mining bases is broken, many tasks need an impossible amount of UI navigation. You conquer an empire and get all of their ships and bases with their designs dumped into your own stuff...  and then spend ages trying to sort it out....

2. Introduce heroes that affect the entire empire ala MOO2. I would also go with fleet admirals if its done properly.

3. The tech tree is also pretty shallow. Introduce more tiers and have like 5 or 6 upgrades per component to minimize the retrofit nightmare.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 70
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/21/2011 10:36:09 PM   
cookie monster

With my one week ROTS experience!

I voted for more components

different ship types

leaders/admirals etc

Some good one's on there

But lets face it, some would be only for an expansion of an expansion

My idea of the ships destination being arrowed probably wouldnt need much coding, and would I presume benefit all players

(in reply to gnosis)
Post #: 71
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/22/2011 12:04:47 AM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

My idea of the ships destination being arrowed probably wouldnt need much coding, and would I presume benefit all players

Good one. That's actually a very old wishlist item that I'd completely forgotten about. Putting it on the next poll now.

It doesn't matter if you think this is expansion material or not, just vote for what you want to see. That way perhaps Elliot can guage what to prioritise. I don't know if it'll work or not, but it's just nice to get our views across like this and see how it all stacks up.

The next poll will allow 4 or 5 votes and it won't include AI improvements since it's clear we all want to see new features, just not at the expense of the AI.

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 72
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/22/2011 8:20:28 AM   
Data

great news, Igard, second poll version coming out soon like an expansion

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 73
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/28/2011 5:23:56 PM   
Hawawaa

I voted for AI improvements, mod support, and personal crew/captains/admirals/leaders/characters (add governors, agents that can level up too ie spys, assassins, commandos, rebels, etc...)

Think Moo2 , Star Wars Rebellion (with the varied classes of agents) and Shogun 2 (customize your characters on level up) for adding characters.

Igard- Good list... Wish I could pick more.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 74
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/28/2011 6:31:34 PM   
Data

There will be more, this is just Igard playing...wait until he gets serious about it
And welcome to the community Hawawaa

(in reply to Hawawaa)
Post #: 75
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/28/2011 9:24:50 PM   
Igard

Thank you for the comments Hawawaa. I think I'll remove the add more spies and include them as part of the add characters/personell.

Still lots of votes coming in. I'm quite surprised by this. Mod support now overtaken by personell/characters. Surprised by that too, but then, personell/characters is pretty cool.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 76
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/28/2011 9:29:20 PM   
Data

We kinda have an idea about all these options except for "more mod support"....if we'd have some feedback about how much mod support Elliot intends to offer overall I'm sure it would rocket to the top.

Edit: on second thought this is an excelent reason for Elliot to not give us feedback or we'll begin to request it non-stop

< Message edited by Data -- 3/28/2011 9:31:13 PM >

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 77
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/28/2011 9:35:49 PM   
J HG T

You always have to walk the fine line between listening and answering when you are a game developer.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 78
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/28/2011 9:45:47 PM   
cookie monster

If I was you when your finished with this poll I would send the results directly to Code Force.

They probably don't have the time to check this, small as they are.

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 79
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/28/2011 9:58:39 PM   
Data

They don't need to, Matrix filters this stuff up. But I second the idea of us shouting on all chanels....maybe we can buy some promo space in NZ morning papers and shock the hell out of Elliot.

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 80
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/28/2011 11:21:56 PM   
tjhkkr

Is there a new poll out?

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 81
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/29/2011 12:13:35 AM   
Igard

I think we've gleaned as much info from this poll to move onto the next one.

Keep an eye out in the next couple of days, I'll post it.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 82
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/29/2011 6:57:06 AM   
Data

Well, this certainly beats any known democracy...voting so often makes me feel very empowered. You're my favourite enabler, Igard

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 83
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/29/2011 9:45:21 AM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: J HG T

You always have to walk the fine line between listening and answering when you are a game developer.

One thing is to not promise before you can deliver. You also need to mind the time span between promising and delivering. So a clear "we are working on new stuff" and a hint "more mod support" is both reassuring that something goes on, and at least some kind of extra mod support is incoming.

As for new features. You don't just need to add 'leaders', you need to add them in a way that works within the game, and don't make the game worse. Adding leaders is easy, the other part is not so easy. And in fact it should not only not make the game worse, it should also make it better.

For me: mod support is safe and should not mess things up. Adding leaders is not safe.

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 84
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/29/2011 11:26:13 AM   
J HG T

Understandable. And I can imagine the amount of interesting and awesome stuff modders could do with the right tools.
I'm quite sure Elliot and the lads will put the right things in to the game. We'll just have to wait.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 85
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/29/2011 12:19:27 PM   
Data

Makes me think again how far we've got in one year with Elliot basically. Imagine in another year where we'll be....makes me drool

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 86
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/29/2011 8:12:06 PM   
fabio80mi

Excellent idea!
I went with
More Mod Support (if i could i'd vote this one 3x)
Ai Improvements

for the third i'd like a Strategic Overlay do direct my empire better, assigning focus and fronts, painting targets, and so on.. unfortunately the choice wasnt there so i'd pick the generic
User Interface Improvement

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 87
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/29/2011 10:22:06 PM   
Igard

Strategic Overlay, that's a really interesting one, Fabio. It would def go under UI improvements.

I don't want to add too many specific, small changes into the poll. I think it's best to keep with the stuff that we know, broad and general without being too vague. I might add strategic overlay to UI improvements as sort of an example.

If you haven't already, Fabio, post your idea on the wishlist.

EDIT: Sorry I think I said before, I was going to remove all the generic answers like AI and UI improvements. Strategic overlay is a big enough idea to make the list I think. Adding now.

< Message edited by Igard -- 3/29/2011 10:27:42 PM >

(in reply to fabio80mi)
Post #: 88
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/30/2011 10:30:40 AM   
Igard

Poll now closed. Sorry if you didn't get a chance to vote, but there's now a new improved poll available on the forums.

640 votes taken in total. That's 213.33 people who cast (I guess some of you missed out a vote or 2).

Just a quick summary of the results :-

AI Improvements - The clear winner pretty much from day 1. We all want to see the AI keep up with whatever diabolical schemes we have in store. Also, any new features should not see the AI fumble in confusion.

More components/tech - We haven't seen much in the way of new tech since the original was launched a year ago. We got some new stuff with RotS expansion, but I think this is a clear indication that we want some new toys to put on our ships.

Personell/crew/leaders/characters - Had a sudden rise in popularity on the forums recently and this shot up the chart as a result. This would add so much character and even more depth to this game.

Mod support - 4th place was a bit lower than I expected. It started the polls flying high, but slowly lost ground to components/tech and then finally got pipped by personell/characters. It's vagueness didn't help it much, but it's still one of the favourites. Also, most players know that it's going to get done in some way, so probably didn't pay it much attention.

More ship roles/images - Much like components/tech, we've been a bit starved for new ships. The expansion didn't really give us much apart from the awesome fighters, but many of us wanted a carrier class to go with them.

Bigger galaxy map - Alot of veterans feel the same way I do. The map seemed so huge when we first started playing and indeed it still seems big now, but as you get more used to the space available to build your empire, you begin to realise that it's still not enough and really accelerates the expansion phase of the game too quickly.

More diplomatic options - Alot has been said on the forums on this subject for a long time now. We've seen some improvements to diplomacy and I think this has satisfied most of us. Still alot of other 4x games do diplomacy a bit better and that's not good enough for us Distant Worlders!

UI improvements - I was surprised to see this as a mid-table answer in the poll. It's generic and could be used as an answer for any problems you have witht the game. Perhaps it's a testament to the massive improvements we got in the expansion that this isn't higher in the poll.

Ship boarding and capturing - This is just a 'wouldn't it be cool if..' suggestion. It really would be cool and it just made it into the top half of the poll which is an achievement in itself for anyone who voted for it.

More story/exploration events - I had high hopes for this, but I think this just reflects that we've had a new story to play through recently with the expansion and we've had our fill for now. Eventually this will become more important to us again.

Multiplayer - Not as high as I would have expected. I think this reflects a couple of things. First that we don't see DW as being a multiplayer experience and second that we don't want to see developer resources move from the main single player work that's being done.

More races/race families - Again we got more of this with the expansion so perhaps our need isn't so great right now.

Fleet formations - I thought this would be more popular. It was an old suggestion in the wishlist from way back and it would give us a bit more to do in space combat. Perhaps the answer wasn't descriptive enough, but I think we can chalk this one down to, 'there are more important things to work on'.

Custom map creator - This would just have been a small feature that possibly would make use of the ingame editor. Not a big one and again probably not as important as some. For me it would be awesome to create a custom Star Trek map, with the empires and space objects positioned correctly.

More space creatures - We all must be tired by now with the space beasties. Developers have already stated that more space creatures will be added at some point, but no details. Perhaps more important things in the poll saw this underachieve slightly.

More spy missions - I didn't add any specific details and can't think of any right now off the top of my head! Some Romulan I make! Just more spy missions and ways to exploit other empires and use subterfuge to get attain victory. Avioded the bottom of the list thankfully, but it's just not that important right now.

More starting empires - PLEASE! NO MORE! I find the max at the moment quite enough to deal with, but I understand if some would like to see even more added, especially if we get a larger map size.

And that's it. A successful poll if I do say so myself. Thank you everyone for voting and suggesting new answers for the new poll.

Let's hope the new one works as well as this one did!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 89
RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see nex... - 3/30/2011 11:06:20 AM   
Bingeling

With 3 things to choose, you can only vote for so much.

Things like fleet formations are a thing bordering UI improvements. It is mostly a usability issue. Temporarily joining multiple fleets for a single job. But with 3 votes, this can never get a vote from me.

There are some specific things I really want (and that could possibly be quite simple if given priority), but it is hard to vote for them in such a list.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: POLL - What 3 things would you most like to see next in Distant Worlds? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI