Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Soviet Biplanes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Soviet Biplanes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Soviet Biplanes - 4/6/2011 4:30:48 AM   
Ridgeway

What should one do with the obsolete Soviet fighter-bombers (like the I-15 and I-153)?

If one uses them as cannon fodder, is there any downside? I am not clear on how the game treats pilots -- is it possible to preserve experienced pilots, or do new planes automatically come with new pilots?

The only other option seems to be manual upgrades to better planes, but again I am unclear whether there is any benefit to doing so, rather than having the better planes flow throught the replacement process and saving on the APs.

I am curious what others do on this.
Post #: 1
RE: Soviet Biplanes - 4/6/2011 4:45:40 AM   
PyleDriver

Put them in the air and let them die...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Ridgeway)
Post #: 2
RE: Soviet Biplanes - 4/6/2011 6:31:52 AM   
cpt flam

absolutely
with time they will become better
actually March 42 some groups have more then 10 victories
better planes becoming large will upgrade them
not too much at time
at first glance seems to have a cumulative modifier when changing plane
1st -2exp ,2nd -4exp and so forth

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 3
RE: Soviet Biplanes - 4/6/2011 6:32:43 AM   
cookie monster

http://witewiki.com/index.php/Soviet_Aircraft_and_Early_Strategy

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 4
RE: Soviet Biplanes - 4/6/2011 8:29:12 AM   
Mehring

Get your air units over 50% morale and experience and commit them to battle ASAP. It doesn't matter if you lose many, you have many to lose. You will be able to recce the enemy advance, interdict their movement, bomb their airfields and protect your own movement from enemy interdiction.
Pick your battles as far as you can. The results are more straws on the enemy camel's back and along with your losses, usually an increase in morale and experience and a host of Guards airfields.

You will have to cycle units back and forth from reserve and this involves micromanagement. It's well worth it.

“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 5
RE: Soviet Biplanes - 4/6/2011 2:02:56 PM   
color

quote:

http://witewiki.com/index.php/Soviet_Aircraft_and_Early_Strategy

(in reply to cpt flam)

By proactively controlling which planes are in which unit I have discovered the following:

Lower experience leads to higher operational losses due to training, which is important to take into consideration to get the soviet air force ready more quickly.

... leading to the following conclusion:

Use the old aircraft models for training, and switch to the never models once exp gets somewhat decent.

The rationale behind this is explained below.

In the start, by having all the russian air units in the reserve, with no combat whatsoever you will see around 150++ operational losses from training only.
Consider the following rule:
- All air units with less than 50 morale will get switched exclusively to older models (I-15, I-16 for fighters), and only above 50 moral will get the new models (Yak 1, Mig 3, Lagg 3).

After a month or two of this, what you will start to see are a significant amount of losses on the older models and few of the never models. This is due to low experience leading to high operational losses.

Take note that the computer will create new units using new models every turn, so make sure to switch those low exp (35+) units to older models.

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 6
RE: Soviet Biplanes - 4/6/2011 2:10:04 PM   
Mehring

I can see the rationale of that but while I've never run out of MiGs, LaGGs or YAKs. I run out of APs every turn so I'd say they were better spend switching leaders or upgrading SUs.

“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to color)
Post #: 7
RE: Soviet Biplanes - 4/7/2011 1:25:05 PM   
Ridgeway

I think I see how it works now. Although there is technically no "upgrade" path for these planes AFAIK, they do get replaced with superior a/c as they become available. That was the part I was struggling with.

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 8
RE: Soviet Biplanes - 4/8/2011 12:57:20 PM   
color

Ridgeway, unfortunately, you have to spend AP to change the old planes to new ones when there is no upgrade path, the computer won't do the switch for you.

That or wait until the pool of that particular model is exhausted and you air group drops below 50% due to losses - THEN then computer will swap it for a similar model.

(in reply to Ridgeway)
Post #: 9
RE: Soviet Biplanes - 4/8/2011 4:18:06 PM   
Ridgeway

quote:

ORIGINAL: color

Ridgeway, unfortunately, you have to spend AP to change the old planes to new ones when there is no upgrade path, the computer won't do the switch for you.

That or wait until the pool of that particular model is exhausted and you air group drops below 50% due to losses - THEN then computer will swap it for a similar model.

I see that now -- you need to blow through the pool first. Thanks.

(in reply to color)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Soviet Biplanes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI