Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Login Nirvana

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Login Nirvana Page: <<   < prev  145 146 [147] 148 149   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Login Nirvana - 4/8/2011 7:32:47 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

I had a dream last night with Willie Nelson in it.

He came up to me excitedly and proclaimed, "You have to listen to this!". Then he pressed some button and the dream was filled with the lyrics of "On the Road Again" sung by a Sinatra clone with some wild jazz horn arrangement. It was really bad.

I think I said something polite but I'm not sure.

Anybody know what this means?

I think I can explain this. First, we have to look at some of the underlying connections between the dream images. Willie Nelson's first big hit, as we all know, was "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain." What was Sinatra's nickname? Old Blue Eyes, of course. This all becomes more clear when we realize that Sinatra starred in "From Here to Eternity." Who wrote the AAR "From Here to...well, it feels like an eternity?" Why, you did.

We therefore see that Willie Nelson and Frank Sinatra represent your ego and superego. Well, Nelson might actually represent your id. It's hard to say without several months of therapy. The Sinatra element also represents a Jungian connection with AE, as expressed in your involvment with AE's collective unconcious, i.e., the forums. The fact that "On the Road Again" was not done by Sinatra, but was poorly done by a Sinatra clone, thus represents your fears for your carriers in the current operation. Your carriers, after all, could be said to be "on the road again."

Finally, you named the current operation "Drop Kick Me Jesus Through the Goalposts of Life." This is a country and western song and Willie Nelson represents the essence of country and western music. We can thus clearly see that the dream you describe represents your hopes (represented by Willie) and your fears (represented by the badly done Sinatra clone) about the game.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 4381
RE: Login Nirvana - 4/8/2011 7:44:20 PM   
thegreatwent

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4382
RE: Login Nirvana - 4/8/2011 9:32:13 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

quote:

He came up to me excitedly and proclaimed, "You have to listen to this!". Then he pressed some button and the dream was filled with the lyrics of "On the Road Again" sung by a Sinatra clone with some wild jazz horn arrangement. It was really bad.

I think I can explain this. First, we have to look at some of the underlying connections between the dream images. Willie Nelson's first big hit, as we all know, was "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain." What was Sinatra's nickname? Old Blue Eyes, of course. This all becomes more clear when we realize that Sinatra starred in "From Here to Eternity." Who wrote the AAR "From Here to...well, it feels like an eternity?" Why, you did.

We therefore see that Willie Nelson and Frank Sinatra represent your ego and superego. Well, Nelson might actually represent your id. It's hard to say without several months of therapy. The Sinatra element also represents a Jungian connection with AE, as expressed in your involvment with AE's collective unconcious, i.e., the forums. The fact that "On the Road Again" was not done by Sinatra, but was poorly done by a Sinatra clone, thus represents your fears for your carriers in the current operation. Your carriers, after all, could be said to be "on the road again."

Finally, you named the current operation "Drop Kick Me Jesus Through the Goalposts of Life." This is a country and western song and Willie Nelson represents the essence of country and western music. We can thus clearly see that the dream you describe represents your hopes (represented by Willie) and your fears (represented by the badly done Sinatra clone) about the game.

Dang! That was really insightful...I think. I am revlieved there is not any latent you know what. Do you have any appointments after April 15 (I have to make some crap up and send it in the IRS and Franchise Tax Board first)?

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4383
RE: Login Nirvana - 4/8/2011 10:25:38 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4384
Makin' music with my friends... - 4/8/2011 10:37:54 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Kinda small fry so far....but at least nothing bad happened. The carriers will pull back for now. The transports NE of Brisbane appear to be well marked by a Jap sub. There are 92 bombers and 18 fighters at Rabaul Some of those are Vals and Kates...but still...can you imagine a raid with 25 Zeroes with drop tanks and 40-50 Bettys....uggh.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 4385
RE: Login Nirvana - 4/9/2011 4:14:51 AM   
Moondawggie

quote:

quote:

Ah, it is so refreshing to read a Freudian psychoanalysis dissecting the underlying fears and motivations of WITP enthusiasts.

I must, however, suggest that this Freudian interpretation may be incorrect, and offer an alternative Jungian viewpoint:

Analyzing Mandrake's Archetypal Dream with respect to the universal symbols present in our "collective unconcious," I discern the following inescapable conclusions:

Willie Nelson represents the eternal Trickster, attempting to warn Mandrake not to take this new effort too seriously, because it is irrelevant to the long-term strategy of defeating his opponent: Operation "Drop Kick Me Jesus" is simply a diversionary sideshow, whereas the defining battle permanently turning the tide of war will obviously be fought on the Australian Continent, not on the outskirts of the Coral Sea.

The "Sinatra Clone" represents Mandrake's Shadow, the repressed/rejected part of Mandrake warning him that he really doesn't want to be involved in this enterprise.

Don't believe me? The Sinatra clone is singing a crappy version of a Willie song that fundamentally sez, "Let's get the hell out of Dodge, Boys! The current situation I find myself in is bad juju!"

Then think about what the dream would have meant if Mandrake had encountered Old Blue Eyes Himself (and not some worthless clone) who belted out a studio perfect, #1 on the charts like a bullet version of "I did it my way!" (Now that would be encouraging!)

The confusing wild jazz horn arrangement obviously represents Mandrake's divine child, his true, beautiful, core inner self trapped by its innocence and vulnerability into an uneasing pairing with the Sinatra Clone guiding the operation.

Finally, the wise old man is clearly represented my Mandrake's ego's or personal subconcious's choice of a name for the operation: "Drop kick me Jesus through the goal posts of life." His deepest hope is to do the right thing, coupled with his insightful acceptance that all of us need the help of others.

Hey: you could look it up on google or bing! It's gotta be true; it's on the internet!

Who sez all those Med School classes and clerkships in psychiatry were a waste of time?

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4386
RE: Login Nirvana - 4/9/2011 4:21:42 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie
Who sez all those Med School classes and clerkships in psychiatry were a waste of time?

All those Med School classes and clerkships in psychiatry were a waste of time.

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 4387
RE: Login Nirvana - 4/9/2011 4:32:50 AM   
Moondawggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

All those Med School classes and clerkships in psychiatry were a waste of time.

Well, for the most part, yes. At least the Freudian and Jungian mumbo-jumbo parts were, except for providing some really snappy opening lines at cocktail parties where the hot grad student babes studying psychology hung out.

But the pharm classes where I learned about Haldol had some benefit when I had to calm down (or, as some brutally frank pragmatists might say, "chemically restrain") a violent lunatic threatening to destroy the ER in Oakland...

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4388
RE: Login Nirvana - 4/9/2011 6:31:41 AM   
Cap Mandrake

That would be "Vitamin H".

I just remembered I forgot to take my acid blocker medicine last night. Maybe that was it.

I was also thinking today I once heard Johnny Cash say he thought of the "Mexican horns" in "Ring of Fire" in a dream too. Maybe I was too quick to dismiss the horn arrangement?

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 4/9/2011 6:32:14 AM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4389
RE: Drop Kick Me Jesus - 4/9/2011 9:22:20 AM   
Blackhorse

quote:

I think with men like Kelly in Europe, and Milo in the Pacific, Adam Smith's concept of the wealth of nations deriving from the unfettered efforts of individual citizens will be translated into reality for at least the next 60 years!

. . . and, as if to prove your point, Atlas Shrugged, the movie, opens on April 15th.

Who is John Galt

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 4390
With Sensai Berle - 4/9/2011 4:26:17 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*******M&M Enterprises School of Comedy, Haha-jima campus, Aug. 9, 1942*******

Sensai Berle:...remember, timing is critical in Comedy. I can't emphasize that enough. You don't got timing, you don't got nothing. Class? <raises hand to prompt response>

Class: YOU DON'T GOT TIMING YOU DON'T GOT NOTHING!

Sensai Berle: Right, now let's try it out with an old Vaudville joke...<looks around room> YOU, Hideo, come on up here and I'll prompt you.

Hideo: HAI! I mean yes, Sensai Burr <scurries up to front of class on short little legs that are likely to be an asset in Imperial Japanese Navy 1st Sasebo Comedy and Thespian Bn. His enthusiasm is evident. All the students view Sensai Burr with almost god-like qualities.>

Sensai Berle: Right, steady now son. Remember, two beats before the second line. You have to let audience expectation build. Not too long, not too short. Two beats. Got it?

Hideo: HAI! I mean yes, Sensai Burr. <he begins to tremble with excitement. Weeks of preparation, listening to records, watching films, English language immersion. Even some Yiddish. It is his chance to show what he has learned.>

Sensai Berle: Right, now remember, I will prompt you with the first line then I will silently give you two beats with my fingers <he demonstrates by rocking his hand and showing first one then two fingers like a metronome>

Hideo: HAI! I mean yes, Sensai Burr. <It is a wonder there is no bladder accident he is so excited>

Sensai Berle: OK, are you ready? Just nod yes or no.

Hideo: <His head bobs up and down like a Sudahara Oh bobblehead>

Sensai Berle: OK, here we go....So a horse walks into a bar...<motions one beat, two beats>

Hideo: HAI! WHY RONG FACE!

Sensai Berle: Oy........

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 4/9/2011 4:27:17 PM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4391
RE: With Sensai Berle - 4/9/2011 4:41:44 PM   
rtrapasso

Sensai-tional!!

Post #: 4392
RE: With Sensai Berle - 4/9/2011 5:12:13 PM   
Cap Mandrake

There really is a place called Haha-jima, one of the Bonins. It too would have been a miserable palce to invade. Quite a few bluffs along the coastline, making it as bad as Iwo. Plus, the School of Comedy was not considered a valuable strategic asset.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 4393
RE: With Sensai Berle - 4/9/2011 5:15:47 PM   
Chickenboy

Oh, Milton, Milton, Milton....where did we go wrong? Teaching the Japs the dangerous art of comedy? Thank goodness the British held off the German attempts to develop humor as a weapon in WWII...

Post #: 4394
RE: With Sensai Berle - 4/9/2011 5:21:14 PM   
sprior

quote:

Oh, Milton, Milton, Milton....where did we go wrong? Teaching the Japs the dangerous art of comedy? Thank goodness the British held off the German attempts to develop humor as a weapon in WWII...

Despite an enormous research effort the Germans never developed any seriously dangerous jokes.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4395
RE: With Sensai Berle - 4/9/2011 6:45:23 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

quote:

Despite an enormous research effort the Germans never developed any seriously dangerous jokes.

The German Strategic Humor Program was really doomed to failure from the start. It is a constitutional thing. The reason why all the trains run on time and the Panther chasis had 42,000 weld points is the same reason the secret joke program failed. Plus, you had the terrible loss to the the Fazerland from the pre-war emigration of Yiddish comedians.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 4396
RE: With Sensai Berle - 4/9/2011 6:53:27 PM   
Cap Mandrake

A good case in point is the post war biopic on Von Braun. In the US it was titled I Aim for the Stars. The German language version was to be titled (in German) "I Aim for the Stars: But I Usually Hit London Instead". Not reallizing a good gag whe they heard it, the German censors made them take the last bit off.

Post #: 4397
RE: With Sensai Berle - 4/9/2011 7:36:58 PM   
sprior

And as more V2s hit Antwerp than London it just goes to show what a great sense of humour he had.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 4398
RE: With Sensai Berle - 4/9/2011 7:58:05 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

And as more V2s hit Antwerp than London it just goes to show what a great sense of humour he had.

I quite agree. By Prussian standards he was a laugh riot. Fun at parties too, I hear. Famously, he once put wax paper over Herr Hitler's toilet seat at Berchtesgarden.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 4399
RE: With Sensai Berle - 4/9/2011 8:18:01 PM   
Cap Mandrake

This whole Willie Nelson dream sequence has got me wondering about landing at Rossel Brand Is.(secret code name invented by Admiral Lord Sprior) with 95 bombers at Rabaul and it being within Zero with drop tank range.

I am wondering I should drop these boys off at Horn Is. or Terapo instead. Terapo has an airfield and has only 500 or so troops with an assault value of 12 and no fortification. Even with heavy disruption, a USMC Regt should be able to take them in one attack. Terapo would still be within Zero range of Rabaul and Madang is only 4 hexes away with a level 5 airfield (no aircraft?..but that could change). Horn Is. has a level 2 field but unknown defences. Holding Horn would permit movement of forces through the Torres Strait. Horn Is is also out of range of Zeroes from Rabaul. Either spot would be a distraction from the main effort in the West.

I have a feeling the CO of 21st Marine Regt. might be a bit ticked off....not having the right maps and all.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 4/9/2011 8:20:45 PM >

Post #: 4400
RE: With Sensai Berle - 4/9/2011 8:56:34 PM   
perkinh

MAPS! When the hell did they ever give Marines maps? They generally just point in a direction ( I failed the compass course twice) and say" go that way for 2 days, or till ammo is exhausted, then we will get back with you."

I was in arty, and we had a XO ( VMI grad) that was real gung -ho. We made a move during an operation in Germany, with lots of NATO types, that had us passing the lead tanks and infantry. It is not a good sign to an arty man, when you start passing the grunts. Needless to say the CO was not happy when he finally raised us on the radio from the proper position, and found us 15km out of pocket. The XO played it off as an emergency direct fire mission on bunkers when we passed the grunts again going the other way.

Just point...we get closer.

Semper Fi

One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine.... is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine

Post #: 4401
RE: With Sensai Berle - 4/9/2011 10:19:00 PM   
Ossian

quote:

This whole Willie Nelson dream sequence has got me wondering about landing at Rossel Brand Is.(secret code name invented by Admiral Lord Sprior) with 95 bombers at Rabaul and it being within Zero with drop tank range.

I am wondering I should drop these boys off at Horn Is. or Terapo instead. Terapo has an airfield and has only 500 or so troops with an assault value of 12 and no fortification. Even with heavy disruption, a USMC Regt should be able to take them in one attack. Terapo would still be within Zero range of Rabaul and Madang is only 4 hexes away with a level 5 airfield (no aircraft?..but that could change). Horn Is. has a level 2 field but unknown defences. Holding Horn would permit movement of forces through the Torres Strait. Horn Is is also out of range of Zeroes from Rabaul. Either spot would be a distraction from the main effort in the West.

I have a feeling the CO of 21st Marine Regt. might be a bit ticked off....not having the right maps and all.

If you're thinking about Horn island, are there any plans for Merauke just to the north? Are the WJD present there? Holding the two of them gives a nice little umbrella to keep the pesky varmints off, especially if they're traipsing down from Hollandia.

Post #: 4402
RE: Login Nirvana - 4/9/2011 11:05:40 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Right, so that's one vote for "maps, we don't need no steenkeeng maps"

Interestingly, a B-25 in polished aluminum just flew over my house with a chase plane. Don't see that every day.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4403
RE: With Sensai Berle - 4/9/2011 11:09:19 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ossian

quote:

If you're thinking about Horn island, are there any plans for Merauke just to the north? Are the WJD present there? Holding the two of them gives a nice little umbrella to keep the pesky varmints off, especially if they're traipsing down from Hollandia.

We have no recon of Merauke but, as I recall, it was captured with a single SNLF unit. It's still a level one airfield.

(in reply to Ossian)
Post #: 4404
RE: With Sensai Berle - 4/9/2011 11:42:18 PM   
Alfred

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ossian

quote:

We have no recon of Merauke but, as I recall, it was captured with a single SNLF unit. It's still a level one airfield.

It might be a good move to go to Terapo instead but one thing you should bear in mind is the port infrastructure. Terapo is a 0 SPS port, hence the most it can ever be built up to is a size 3 port. If it currently is only a size 0 port you will have considerable difficulties in keeping it supplied, particularly if you have no other Allied bases in Papua New Guinea to send supply overland to Terapo.

Alfred

Post #: 4405
RE: With Sensai Berle - 4/9/2011 11:42:25 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Torres Strait and Arafua Sea. Right now, Darwin is a very strong position. It is out of reach of our B-17's at Alice. The LB-30's could reach but they are too fragile. The B-24 can just make it. I suppose we could collect all our B-24's at Alice and try to shut down Darwin field. There is no hope of getting enough supply to Tennant Creek.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4406
RE: With Sensai Berle - 4/9/2011 11:50:57 PM   
Cap Mandrake

There is also the minor political issue of the theoretical dividing line between SWPAC and SouPAC which, as I recall, was either the Coral Sea or somewhere in the Solomons

Post #: 4407
RE: Login Nirvana - 4/11/2011 10:44:39 PM   
Cap Mandrake

JJ has sniffed out the likely direction of our effort and has massively reinforced Rabaul with fighters and (probably) Netties. Also, the loss of recon support at Nedeni means we have not had recon at Lunga for 3 d. The risk/reward ratio is tilting into the unfavorable range. We cant afford one or two carriers being damaged or sunk right before the SOW operation.

Consequently, I am giving up on Rossell Is. for now and will send the 21st Marine Regt either to Horn Is. or Merauke.

Remind me, Horn Is. is a non-Atoll with a capacity limit or it is an Atoll with no capacity limit?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4408
RE: Login Nirvana - 4/12/2011 2:21:18 AM   
Alfred

Horn Island is:

(a) not an atoll

(b) has a 60k troop capacity

Hence there will be no auto shock attack on landing at Horn Island.

Alfred

Edit: Horn Island IS an atoll. See posts 4505 and 4507

< Message edited by Alfred -- 4/27/2011 4:56:00 PM >

Post #: 4409
RE: Login Nirvana - 4/12/2011 2:47:28 AM   
Moondawggie

quote:

Consequently, I am giving up on Rossell Is. for now and will send the 21st Marine Regt either to Horn Is. or Merauke.

Remind me, Horn Is. is a non-Atoll with a capacity limit or it is an Atoll with no capacity limit?

Wow! That psychoanalysis of dreams stuff seems to have worked! Good decision!

Horn Island has a port capacity of 1 (buildable to 4); air capacity of 3 (buildable to 6). Like he said, not an atoll.

With only 600 WJDs on site, the Marines could run an entertaining field-ex there for a turn or two, and then loll about, drinking captured JJ beer and verbally abusing the Seabees working to expand the port and airfield in the hot equatorial sun

Once occupied your fighters would be perfectly positioned to attrit all those unescorted Betties from Rabaul who might want to come visit, and let some Dauntlesses practice on any shipping that dares to run the Torres Strait on the Darwin/Port Moresby supply chain run.

Thus screwing up JJ's logistics for the upcoming pivotal battle in Oz.

Post #: 4410
Page:   <<   < prev  145 146 [147] 148 149   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Login Nirvana Page: <<   < prev  145 146 [147] 148 149   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI