Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

North Africa Strategies?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> North Africa Strategies? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
North Africa Strategies? - 4/10/2011 9:20:52 PM   
Taygeta

Well thought i was just about ready to play against thinking humans. Then I ran into the AI North Africa scenario. I picked it because the turns are relatively short and i dont always have lots of time. I almost never play the Axis and i realize that if they would have had more sane leadership at the top they would have been much harder to beat though with sane leadership the whole nite mare would probably not have began in the first place. Still I have attempted a few strategies and the best i can do is stop the Axis and begin to drive them back before running out of time. I can't research or choose my own production so i don't see how it is possible to stop the Axis with enough tome to retake almost the entire map to achieve a victory? I was able to achieve major victory in the Ardennes scenario and the whole thing went pretty much historically. So this is an interesting puzzle and I'am hoping someone might be able to instruct me in a strategic option that would be more successful?...

Also i am very new to hex gaming. Is a Ladder game one where one builds their own forces from scratch to occupy territory faster then ones opponent? What is Hot seat?

Peace, Tay
Post #: 1
RE: North Africa Strategies? - 4/11/2011 2:22:32 AM   
Tac2i

In a ladder game you challenge someone higher on the ladder, if you win you move up.  Hot Seat is where you play against another human player where you take your turns at the same PC. In other words, the two of you would have to be at the same location and at the same PC. Try Play by Email (PBEM). It is a lot of fun. Also, be on the lookout for the release of Advanced Tactics Gold Edition. I'm hoping that it may be released this week.

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

(in reply to Taygeta)
Post #: 2
RE: North Africa Strategies? - 4/11/2011 3:56:32 AM   
Taygeta

thanks Roy. So how is it determined where one is on the ladder? IS there a point system? Yes I am waiting with anticipation for ATG.

What I'm wondering is whether there is something major that I'm missing because i have yet to have so much trouble beating an AI, and if i am missing something then I will never stand a chance against a thinking human with the strategic and tactical skills that most of you on this forum seem to posses. In North Africa scenario i can't stand and fight without getting chewed to pieces and if i run far enough to prepare a proper defense, which seems somewhat historically correct, the scenario does to allow enough time for counter attack which will require retaking almost the entire map. Isn't one of the key parts of any defensive battle plan the counter attack, with time enough to carry it out?

Peace, Tay

(in reply to Tac2i)
Post #: 3
RE: North Africa Strategies? - 4/11/2011 4:28:44 PM   
Tac2i

Never played the North Africa scenario so can't comment on it. To my knowledge there isn't any ladder system. The advancedtactics.org site had a rating system at one time but I believe that it is now gone. Matrix Games may eventually add a server based challenge system for ATG.

Re AI: If playing the AI in AT, you probably ought to give it a boost to A+ or try playing against two or three AI at once. In ATG that is what I could recommend: that you play against 2-3 AI.

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

(in reply to Taygeta)
Post #: 4
RE: North Africa Strategies? - 4/11/2011 7:54:47 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taygeta

thanks Roy. So how is it determined where one is on the ladder? IS there a point system? Yes I am waiting with anticipation for ATG.

What I'm wondering is whether there is something major that I'm missing because i have yet to have so much trouble beating an AI, and if i am missing something then I will never stand a chance against a thinking human with the strategic and tactical skills that most of you on this forum seem to posses. In North Africa scenario i can't stand and fight without getting chewed to pieces and if i run far enough to prepare a proper defense, which seems somewhat historically correct, the scenario does to allow enough time for counter attack which will require retaking almost the entire map. Isn't one of the key parts of any defensive battle plan the counter attack, with time enough to carry it out?

Peace, Tay

I don't think anyone plays a on ladder system any longer, if they ever did in AT. The ladder system is a way to rank and challenge players at a specific scenario or game mod. Personally speaking I never liked ladders or the types of personalities that they seemed to attract.

I'm in it for the fun and as a pastime. I do try hard to win but it's not about winning per se for me. I often lose and I still have a great time while losing. In a few games I got a little upset because the winners wanted to quit too soon, before the "final battle" to take my last city. Funny I suppose, but that's just me. In fact I think most games tend to wrap up due to consensus long before I'd like them to.

In general with AT, it's PBEM and vs. AI. If you want to PBEM, post a message in the opponenets wanted section or PM someone to see if they are interested.

I've got 3 going right now, two relatively light ones that are in essence mod developmant games and one 'long player' that goes real slowly becuase there are now 8 people circling around the game file. There was 9 but that position was consoldiated.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Taygeta)
Post #: 5
RE: North Africa Strategies? - 4/12/2011 5:16:19 PM   
Lion9

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taygeta

Peace, Tay

Good to hear that the NA scenario is proving to be a challenge. That is one theatre that I truly enjoy playing. Let us hope NA is one of those that has been updated for ATG (wasn't mentioned on the Matrix splash page, so I don't know if it is included with ATG or, if so -- has it has been updated? Would be nice to know, but being the realist, I appreciate that you don't always get what you want, but if you try real hard, you get what you need! (yeh, the Stones )

(in reply to Taygeta)
Post #: 6
RE: North Africa Strategies? - 4/12/2011 7:46:11 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Grymme did some work on a North Africa scenario, there was a small one that he gives away, (or used to) called Gazianis Offensive or something like that and it was actually part of a much larger one based on the old boardgame, 'DAK' I think. Not sure if he finished that one.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Lion9)
Post #: 7
RE: North Africa Strategies? - 4/12/2011 8:14:13 PM   
Grymme

Jeffrey. Actually i finished my North Africa scenario. Didnt playtest it too much against human opponents though. Its still available and called DAK. Its based on the boardgame with the same name by multiman publishing. Its a couple of campaigns and two different campaign starts if i remember it correctly.

Here is a thread with some more info on that project

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2500874&mpage=2&key=

As you noted I also made a small (22 round) introductory scenario called Grazianis offensive covering the first italian offensive into Egypt in 1940.

It can be downloaded directly via this link (bottom of the page). I only played it once or twice, but it felt quite historical. Would be fun to hear someone elses opinion.

http://web.comhem.se/olvmyr3/

My Advanced Tactics Mod page
http://atgscenarios.wordpress.com

30+ scenarios, maps and mods for AT and AT:G

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> North Africa Strategies? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI