Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bombarding planets

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Bombarding planets Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bombarding planets - 4/11/2011 4:38:32 PM   
Bateman1982

Hi guys,
I'm running ROTS with the latest update patch (upgraded straight from the last beta).

I'm still testing out some features of the game, and have designed a basic destroyer with 2 nuclear devastators on it, just to try and bombard a minor races planet into oblivion.

However, when I give the bombard mission to the fleet, my devastator equipped ships will usually bombard the planet for a while, but then will just stop.
I want them to annihilate the planet, but they only seem to rough it up for a few days.

Also, sometimes they don't seem to want to carry out the mission at all, and don't even go to the planet to bombard it.
Sometimes it looks like the ships are stop/starting all the time, like they were going to attack the planet but then changed their minds and stopped.

Is there something I'm missing in terms of carrying out a successful bombardment, or has anyone else had this happen?
Post #: 1
RE: Bombarding planets - 4/11/2011 4:46:38 PM   
Bateman1982

Update: It looks to be more reliable if I issue the order directly to the bombardment ships, rather than the fleet.
However, they still seem to stutter all the time.

Their orders keep flicking between "Bombard (target)" and "Attack (target)", constantly, meaning the ships keep stopping and starting, and are struggling to actually keep up with the moon they are supposed to be bombarding.

EDIT: Ah, I think I've just answered my own question.

It only becomes an issue when running game at 4x speed, as the ships then never seem to catch up with the moon. If I run it on normal speed, they stay close to it fine (despite their orders still flicking back and forth).

So answer is for me to order the bombardment ships to bombard individually, and make sure running at 1x speed.

< Message edited by Bateman1982 -- 4/11/2011 4:50:02 PM >

(in reply to Bateman1982)
Post #: 2
RE: Bombarding planets - 4/11/2011 4:49:53 PM   
Data

Not sure if it applies here also but this seems to be a problem with command stickines in general.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Bateman1982)
Post #: 3
RE: Bombarding planets - 4/11/2011 7:28:34 PM   
Tree Dog

I have the exact same problem with the bombard order, I haven't noticed it happening with other orders, though...

Also, bombardment related, is there something to do against planetary shields ? Toying around with the editor, I ended up having dozens ships bombarding a shielded planet, and well, nothing happened...

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 4
RE: Bombarding planets - 4/11/2011 7:46:30 PM   
Data

For that only planetary invasion works

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Tree Dog)
Post #: 5
RE: Bombarding planets - 4/11/2011 9:33:13 PM   
Merker

There's a simple solution to all your bombardment problems: World Destroyer. One click and BOOOOOM! No more frustration, and about the same rep hit, no more shield ruining your bombardment day problem.

Cheers

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 6
RE: Bombarding planets - 4/11/2011 11:44:13 PM   
cookie monster

Why would a player want to bombard a planet?

I can understand nuking the ''ultimate enemy'' with a Planet Destroyer.

Also the Spy mission sabotage colony would put back development level and kill some population.

BTW this is the first time I've noticed the new funky post link buttons in the reply window.

(in reply to Merker)
Post #: 7
RE: Bombarding planets - 4/12/2011 12:31:28 AM   
Sark

quote:

Why would a player want to bombard a planet?

The quest for racial purity goes on... Actually from a pure what is economically best standpoint it does not make sense to bombard. It does make for an intersting game if your goal is to eradicate all other species. Especially when one of your planets gets taken over either by migration or one of the fast reproducing races. -Destroy facilities, raise taxes to max, remove troops, wait for rebellion, then bomb them- Better that we sacrifice a few million frogs than that the locusts and rats are allowed to roam free.

I ran into a lot of the same problems as mentioned above. Nice to know that dropping to 1X speed will fix it.

I actually ran into anothe bug. It seems you are unable to bomb a neutral world. Anyone else run seen that issue by chance?

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 8
RE: Bombarding planets - 4/12/2011 1:12:58 AM   
feygan

Just a quick one on bombarding but has anyone ever seen any of the AI doing so?

(in reply to Sark)
Post #: 9
RE: Bombarding planets - 4/12/2011 7:05:11 AM   
Data

Nope, but I haven't played a lot lately so I'm not sure if the new patches changed this somehow. Maybe with Alex's enhanced AI mod.

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 10
RE: Bombarding planets - 4/12/2011 8:39:15 AM   
Bingeling

If you got this policy of punishing those that annoy you, which includes taking control of one or more (usually more) of their planets, this can work quite well. But this won't work for populations too upset with war with own species. They rebel the moment you conquer it.

So bombard comes up as a nice option. But if there is a planetary shield - can you somehow get rid of it? Sure you can conquer it, remove the troops, and tax them extra just in case they won't rebel due to war with species alone... But can you dismantle the planetary shield while there?

It is not like keeping 25 troops garrisoned on planets due to rebel threats is a nice option in the long run. Especially with the lack of support for keeping that garrison in place, due to transports a bit too eager to refill their troop compartments (a common wishlist thing).

(in reply to Sark)
Post #: 11
RE: Bombarding planets - 4/12/2011 10:09:34 AM   
Data

quote:

So bombard comes up as a nice option. But if there is a planetary shield - can you somehow get rid of it? Sure you can conquer it, remove the troops, and tax them extra just in case they won't rebel due to war with species alone... But can you dismantle the planetary shield while there?

Yes, you can...in the colony screen, the planetary buildings tab iirc

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 12
RE: Bombarding planets - 4/12/2011 1:48:22 PM   
cookie monster

Yeah I scrapped a robotic troop foundry in the colony screen facilities tab.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 13
RE: Bombarding planets - 4/12/2011 2:56:05 PM   
Bingeling

Thanks, I have never felt a need before, but nice to know for the next time I play a 'not entirely goodguy'.

The Ikurro in my game was crazy, while the Securan were nice and relaxed. Keeping the first while at war with their species would be an uphill battle.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 14
RE: Bombarding planets - 4/12/2011 5:33:36 PM   
Bateman1982

quote:

ORIGINAL: feygan

Just a quick one on bombarding but has anyone ever seen any of the AI doing so?

In my current game after the Shakturi appear, they seemed to enjoy exploding one of my border planets, then they also used one of their regular fleets to bombard another of my planets back to the stone age, taking its quality down to about 40%.

So the AI is definitely capable of it, its just whether the "normal" AI players will do so or not.

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 15
RE: Bombarding planets - 8/9/2011 7:41:28 AM   
Data

soon only these bots will update the forum

Post #: 16
RE: Bombarding planets - 8/9/2011 11:29:28 AM   
Romtos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

soon only these bots will update the forum

This unfortunately didn't happen yet.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 17
RE: Bombarding planets - 8/9/2011 11:42:09 AM   
Data

LOL, good one

(in reply to Romtos)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Bombarding planets Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI