Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The little ship that could.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The little ship that could. Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The little ship that could. - 4/14/2011 10:52:48 AM   
1275psi

18/6/42 to 19/6/42

‘You are only a cog in the machine, my friend, but should a single cog fail –the machine will fail too’
Hosho considers the exhortation received from his company commander the night before, and girds himself for the next effort.

The night is dark, darker than any night he has experienced before –the jungle canopy has blotted out the moon.
But they need no light – for tonight they follow no path.
For the hundreth time he stumbles in the icy water –gasping as it hits his face –desperate to keep his gun above the waters..
He succeeds –hesitates, as the shadow in front of him stumbles too.
There is no curse however. No noise at all –as nearly 1000 men stream along this stream, hidden, silent under the canopy.

To the east of them, the quarry –the 2nd royal tank regiment –deployed in depth on the rail road, the road leading north.
112th hate this unit.
Hate the armoured beasts they drive –beasts whose tracks have run red in companions blood.
Now the arrogant british hold the road –defiant against the 41st regiment at its tail.
Faintly, in the still of this night –the sounds of guns -hammering, can be heard to the east –to the south.

112th has flanked the tanks.

The message comes –and they turn right, climb out of the creek –and carefully, silently –they crawl.

For how long?
Who knows
Hosho’s mind is blank –there is only the silence, and the jungle
And then suddenly-the ground slopes upward, the jungle stops –and the moon shines.

Arrayed –along the road –2nd royal tanks.

They wait

And -on time –the pitiful remains of 56 recon –so savaged by these barsteds –demonstrates to the south –and the scream of artillery covers the sounds of a thousand bayonets fixing.

Slowly, slowly –his rifle creeps forward –rises.
A bug crawls across his face –it bites.
He aims –ignoring all –aims at the skinny man asleep against the wheel of the armoured car –

A cry and the guns bark –a savage salvo – and then he is up –knees popping, boots squelching –up, up the steep slope –over, onto the gravel bed (railways –he seems to have been on this railway forever -) and the bayonet is going in.
Cries.
Shadows
The barking of guns –the scattering of shadows into the dark.
A grenade whistles his way –he catches it –sends it back.
Onto the tank –reefing open the hatch even as hands slide away into it, desperate to escape –no feeling, no-this is a lie –savage hate, savage kill lust –heis grenade goes in, the leap free –a bang, hollow behind him – and down the slope –gun barking at the streaks of light firing, fighting back –until the screaming wave overcomes them.

And then, gasping, it is over – if you ignore the bloody groans, the one who won’t stop screaming –the gurgles –and the stink of burning

And the veteran has but two thoughts –hunting for food and ammo –and wondering who died this time……………

(112th pretty heavily disabled after this –but road cleared with heavy allied losses)

Hidaka gathers the new men into the ready room.
The room overflows now –soon, when the old hands return, there will be twenty two fighter pilots, 12 bomber men, and their crews.
A true sword now.
He contemplates them –pleased. Pleased indeed.
Some faces he knows already – some he knows from reputation.
Many not –but he can see –see in the casual stancem, this comfort with the surroundings, these men are experienced.
He eyes them –and they he –each assessing the other.

I don’t have to prove myself to you –my new men. But you will have to, to me.
But that can come. Now, now I must get you settled in, and comfortable –so you are distraction free.
I must get you away from these comforts of Japan, back to sea, back into the sky –and back to the job we do.
Killing

‘Welcome to the happy phoenix , My name is Hidaka. I am your leader. You will not like me. Nor, most likely I you.
But I will do this. Lead you to glory –one way or another.
Get your gear unpacked. PT in 15 minutes”

A true sword. Now to sharpen it.

PO Nashiguchi climbs the gangway
He feels excitement, anticipation.
Two weeks leave – two quiet weeks of hiking the hills and paths around mount fujiama–clearing mind, restocking soul.
Quiet times.
But also –sadly –lonely times
But now –now back home –home to friends.
Home to the noise, the smell, the rules.
Home to companionship
And back home –home to his eagle.

He returns the gangway salute- yes –she is still a little tattered is his home, but she rides re assuring under his feet.

Down , down to his rack –his little locker –the ready room

A new pilot comes his way –sweating –SO! –Hidaka has them at work already!
Not that he has to worry – Nashiguchi knows he is the strongest he has ever been .
He drops his kit –and there is another newby at his rack –and he double takes –who is this? –didn’t he just see that face?
The new face smiles “ PO Nakajima! –I see you have met my brother!”
Oh –so we have a set of twins onboard now…………, so, this next mess load should be very, very interesting indeed.

Po Ogawa strides aboard
Eyes hard
So, his father still doubts him.
Still doubts him!
Four confirmed kills –and still he asks why he did not join the army!
Damn him
Damn him to hell.
He will show him. Yes, he will show him
‘Any word on a departure Quartermaster?”
‘No, not yet, rumours , just rumours. Soon I expect, Kaga is out of dock”
good
‘Good –let it be soon ney?’

Diogawa returns
He comes onboard, unpacks, lies down in his hammock.
Its been a good leave –and he might even be in love
He thinks about her.
And her family
On second thoughts, maybe not.
And then he is asleep

PO Okura returns, deep in the evening
By now, the rain is falling, somber, dark, depressing
They did destroy father, destroy his business, his workshop.
This he knows now.

But why destroy his house?, destroy the furniture.
What possible link could his fathers activities have to him?

And this is the government he fights for?
What in the world is happening to his beloved empire?

Kurihama returns
He is drunk.
Ahhhh, it has been such a good leave
Countless bars, countless brothels. So many ready to drink, and buy drinks for the fearless warrior…………..

A good leave.
He remembers her.
Lying in his rack, he remembers all of her. All of it.
Such an unexpected event. Such an unexpected feeling, reaction in him
Like discovering a well that supplies endless intoxiation.

But always leave you thirsty for more
He remembers her.
He MUST do that again.

Our stokers return too
Minobe sour –who knows what nightmares still stalk him
The charge –refreshed –and keen to see how Zuiho will fight him this time.

And the others. Some leaves good, some bad

But now, all of them, from Hasegawa to the lowest stoker, must turn minds back to HER –the real mistress
Behind, they leave brocken hearts, restored hearts, pregnancies yet to be known, love affairs, and dead marriages.
A thousand stories.
Now returning to one

They leave it all that behind
That –that and one body.

From
Combined fleet
To
Captain Hasegawa
Operation M2 – will commence 25/6/42.
Zuiho to be ready for sea by this date.

Extract from shattering the sword –a cantona production

Operation M2

11 carriers
6 battleships
6 cruisers
50 destroyers

The largest operation since the war began. Yamamotos great gamble begins to take shape………..

< Message edited by 1275psi -- 6/29/2013 12:01:11 PM >

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 421
RE: The little ship that could. - 4/15/2011 9:41:51 AM   
1275psi

20/6/42

Final preparations for sea.
There is a terrible temptation to fall into a tribal mode during these last few days.
Each department has their priorities, and these always clash with others.
The Stokers are raising steam on each boiler in turn, establishing chemistry. They have a million little things to complete, a million little problems to overcome.

The gunners need to ammunition.
The executive department wish to bring onboard refurbished boats.
And the supply department needs to stock Zuiho with the thousands of items that may –or may not be needed in the months ahead.
Every day, the heads will meet –and thrash it out.
Surprisingly –or maybe not –it all goes together.

But the supply department wins everytime.
Today –literally hundreds of men form great snakes –leading from the never ceasing to arrive trucks on the wharfs, to deep into her bowels.
An amazing flow of items pass from hand to hand.
From crates of vegetables, to whole sides of pork, to engine parts, to paper.
All day, the men will again, and again be called from their tasks to form the chains.

They do it willingly today –even with enthusiasm.
For each crate, each bag of rice spells one thing.
Zuiho sails soon
Another adventure beckons.
And few military men are not suckers for an adventure

Many, many miles away, Mutsu and Nagato again turn their guns onto Tarawa, and again, weeks of work from the marines is undone.
Allied intelligence now knows “that something huge is brewing”
Is this a foretaste of a renewed effort on that lonely rock – or is there something else hiding in Yamamoto’s bosom?
They will wait –and find out –as war does –in good time.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 422
RE: The little ship that could. - 4/17/2011 9:24:59 AM   
1275psi

Young Mitchell takes the gangway down to solid ground
American soil
Good old American soil
he has made it back.
he takes the arm of the sailor at the end of the gangway -uniform clean and bright -as opposed to his pitiful rags
"tell me mac - where is the nearest recruiting station?"
mac smiles 'Army, navy, airforce or marines kid?"
Marines. it can only be marines. It has to be.......

"the marines please"

mac scowls- flings his thumb a certain way
'That way -but they only take men you know"
"tarawa -I have just come from tarawa -do you think that qualifies?"

Mac cannot answer

It does. In spades.

21/6/42

ONE! TWO!, THREE, FOUR!
ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR!

PO Nashiguchi grunts –the exercises are not his thing, but he swings his arms nevertheless –preferring the sweat other than the lash of Hidaka’s tongue

The pilots exercise –a neat square of men on Zuiho’s flightdeck, sweat sheening on them

Around them the ship works – but they leave plenty of room for them –no body –simply nobody would now dare interrupt the airgroups activities.
To all intents and purposes, the ship is now Hidaka’s -their job is to deliver these men to a launch point –that is all.
And for this they are denied the privileges of these men, denied the publicity, denied the glory

But in return, these men of Hidaka’s know this. Once launched –once flung at the enemy – every man who has sent them –has expectations of pay off.
Strike the enemy –kill him, bring victory –or do not return.

So the crew keep well clear – but how pleasing to see the sword being hardened, sharpened.

‘”Right!, barks Hidaka “five lengths –go!”
The men break for the end of the flight deck –sprinting.
Punishment for coming last is 50 push ups.

Nashiguchi grits his teeth –he has never been a runner –and he hopes like hell one of the new men is even slower than he is
Not to be.
He turns for the last length, gasping –and only Kurihama is with him.
Side by side they flay towards the finish line –and Kurihama reaches out –grabs him –pushes –but they both fall over the line together……..

Hidaka growls – “Both of you then! –give me fifty!”

Down.
Face to face
“ONE”
‘TWO
THREE!

Thus in the military it has always been
Thus it always be
The give me fifty!

Kurihama grunts
“have a good leave Nashiguchi? “ and –heavens – there is hate here –where did that come from?
‘twenty five!’
“yes, yes, I did thankyou” keep bending em, keep pushing, Lord, give me strength……

‘Go to your stinking church did you?”

So, that is it……………is it?

Forty!

‘yes, yes I did”

Kurihama grunts, and then spits – the spittle landing near them, a green glob

‘You are a girl Nashiguchi, nothing but a bloody girl”

Fifty!”

“Well done men –hit the showers! Ready room for nav training in 30 minutes!”

Evening
Zuihos men man the guard rails, watching.
On the horizon, the sun is settling, bathing the harbour in calm pink light, hiding the dirt, the ugliness of the port.
Now there is calm water –and a million sparkles on its surface

The harbour is quiet –as if respecting them

In this –this beautiful light –they slide gently past, the great giants
Kongo, Kirishima, Hiei, Haranua,, grey, darkening in the fading light, their white uniformed men standing out bright in the suns last rays.

And there is silence –as both sides view each other.
They are out of date now, these great giants, replaced by these ugly ships like Zuiho –but, who can possibly deny the power, the grace, of battleships sliding past.
Old they may be
Out dated too
But what heart cannot be stirred, as that great power –those great guns slide by?

They pass –disappearing into the dusk –the dark –heading out to sea.
And who here, would not deny that to see such a sight again?………….

The operation begins

20 plus ss, slip moorings, and begin the long treck to station

Yamamoto reads the signal –grunting with satisfaction
Cox’s bazaar has been pounded by the eastern fleet of four old battlewagons
Hosho’s kates have been sighted by the enemy
Step one has gone of with out a hitch………………….

Many of Zuihos men take leave this night –eager to take something of Japan with them.
Hiroshima takes them, as it always has, caters for them, feeds them, gets them drunk, fills their needs –and gets them home again.
Hiroshima is a Navy town, men on a final leave are nothing new.

But tomorrow, a shiver will run through its people.
Within a week –two of its ‘girls of the night’ have been found dead.
And it seems obscene, that so much love, could be repaid by so much hate...........

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 423
RE: The little ship that could. - 4/17/2011 7:50:01 PM   
kaleun

Great writing. Immersive.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 424
RE: The little ship that could. - 4/18/2011 10:32:41 AM   
1275psi

Thank you -and thank you for everyones patience as we wait for the next action
gathering the fleet is taking time!
I really, really do appreciate the people who follow this -and put up with the mistakes I make

(but its all coming together now!!!)

22/6/42

Basin trial

And now attention swings back to the black gang.
Four three days now, the men have worked on preparing the boilers for sea again. They have been flushed through, freshly filled, and the PUTT, PUTT, PUTT, of the air driven squeeze pumps has reverberated through out her length day and night.

One Alpha boiler –as per usual -has been stubborn –it takes three goes to attain pressure in her, but now, hours before dawn, all four boilers are ready.

Shut down boiler rooms are cold cheerless places –and the forward boiler room is no exception this early, early hour.
The essentials have been done. The funnel covers are off, the water level is correct, the valves aligned –the dozens of them. The fuel tanks are full.
This will be a stops open flash up – raise the pressure and temperature in the boiler –and the aux systems simultaneously, a safer way –less stress on re packed valves –better chance to eliminate any water that will almost certainly be in the pipes.

But now –before light off –the most important item – the tea.
The youngest lad has been sent away –and soon he returns with his bucket –each big mug carefully packed in it-and despite the ladders –not a drop spilt.
He takes a start, does our young lad –for the Charge is here.

“I am so sorry Chief Petty Officer!_ I do not have a cup for you!’

The older man smiles, a paternal grin. “never mind lad –I am sure there will be others to come. Now –how about we get this bitch lit off Ney?”
The Charge takes the light of stick –and thrusts it into the lads hands – ‘The honour is yours”

Grins – it is a privilege indeed to do the first light off of the trip.
The steamer hits a switch –and above –the steady whirr of the electric light off fan, and another –the small light off pump whirs into life
Fuel pressure 50 psi –air box?
Japanese warship boilers do not have air box gauges –they just guess………..

The lad carefully winds the cotton waste about the stick –very carefully – there is honor here –but to have the stick blow out! –shame and derision indeed.

“Port Engine room, Port boiler room –permission to light off port forward boiler”
Okano’s voice chirps back – “approved! –lets burn the bread!’

In the boiler room, the Charge leans to the comms “ Approved will just do Okano……”
Silence from port engine…………..

The stick is plunged into the diesel -soaked –and a lighter produced. Soon it burns –and the youngster holds it under the ventilation fan –fanning it into a white hot blaze –proving that his rags will hold.

The steamer takes charge
‘OK –get the Bitch in!”
The port is opened –the stick thrust in –the fule valve cracked, cracked.
A frantic ‘pumping’ of the air flap , a dull WWWHUUMP! –a tongue of flame and smoke out the light off port –and general cheers.

“Light off, ! 1 A boiler !”
‘Roger port engine”
a note is made in the log -history takes another step.

‘Well done men –now –no truk ups OK –take it slow!” The Charge looks around. Pleased. The space is clean. Life is returning to Zuiho.

He ascends the ladder One down, three to go. Two engines to go, two TG’s, a gazillion systems.
But they are away.
He descends into Port engine
“Right then –who’s making tea!’

1000 hrs
Steaming Auxillory, 1A, 2A boilers –engines under turning gear –vacuum 15 inches

And an exhaust relief valve that has lifted –and refuses to shut again. Out of Zuiho’s funnel –a great curl of steam. This is the second time now this **** of a valve has done this, thinks the Charge –are you trying to torment me!

He weighs the hammer in his hand –calculates…………swings- CLANG!
The valve seats.
See, I am the boss –now behave you buggar…………..

1100 hours

“Bridge, port engine”
Minobes voice sounds tired, even from here.
‘Bridge” Hasegawa waits –what new bad news now for him?
‘main engine test complete. Request to continue boiler swings”

Ahh, good news. Maybe the little phoenix is bored with this place too…..

1300 hours
And the charge descends, nods to Hirate. “Ok young man – lets get this one going hey? – you! –seaman –a cup of tea for the charge!”

The basin trial takes time. The swings take time, but time flies. It is dark again as Zuiho reduces to aux steaming on 1A boiler, a Turbo generator.
On the sweep deck, the heads gather.
The CPO Chippee is pleased –he has no defects
The Aviation support chief too is happy –the repairs to the forward lift have been successful.
The Charge too –is relatively pleased.
The steaming plant is a “goer’ –which is the positve opposite of “its F*&^cked”

But the forward diesel refuses to start.
It is water in the fuel –this he knows – fixable –but a right pain in the arse.
A team is onto it..

Minobe listens to the reports. He has failed to secure another ship –despite all his efforts. So here he stays. But as he listens to his men – to the language (so foully)
Describing its state –it occurs to him – he cannot complain. Not really
Zuiho is ready machinery wise. These men are ready. His department is ready.

The devil you know……………

Hasegawa lies in his bed, reading. His stomach hurts. As usual.. The book – ‘the Book of all powers “ intrigues him. An old book, but a familiar tale.
There is a knock on the door.

It is Hidaka “ Just for you info sir, as I think it may effect things. Fighting has finished in the phillipines and……….”
Hasegawa completes it for him
“and that releases 14th army for further offensive operations……….”

Hidaka grins. ‘Think of it sir –just how big our empire is now!’
Hasegawa smiles –a weak smile – (oh the enthusiasm of ignorance) “yes Hidaka –but can we hold it?’

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 425
RE: The little ship that could. - 4/19/2011 9:09:35 AM   
1275psi

23/6/42

final fuelling
final stores
A day of cleaning, contemplation
A day of last checks

This night –farewell dinners, mess deck functions -and hangovers to come

At 1000 hrs

From Combined Fleet
To
Task force Swift eagle

Sail, 0600 to point A

Do your duty

Yamamoto

And I regret, cantona is on easter break –and I will be too.
Until after easter……………..

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 426
RE: The little ship that could. - 4/19/2011 10:13:34 AM   
hosho

many thanx for a wonderful aar!
we (the addicts)will have to do without it for a few days... if we start pressuring the old dictator for more writing... well don`t be surprised

the first ones are remembered

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 427
RE: The little ship that could. - 4/23/2011 9:34:29 AM   
1275psi

24/6/42

CVL Zuiho, CVL, Shoho, CVL Ryujo, destroyers Akigumo, Natsugumo, Minegumo, Asigumo and Akatsuki accompanying, sail from Hiroshima bay –and head due east –then, late in the evening, head south east.

And thus Histories TROM s will be written
Other histories will write that Yamamoto’s greatest operation to date –truly begins this day, and blah, de blah, blah.

Even the ships log will be boring –and almost useless to us to gain insight into today:

Slipped 0800 hours
Minor collision with Tug –no damage
Formed into combat group , and commenced passage

Seas heavy.

Ah –a clue
Seas heavy

For nearly a month, they have ignored her. For nearly a month, she has waited patiently while the crew have attended to home –to that other life –those other women.
But now they return, to the one that fill their hearts –deeply, in there –where only sailors keep her.
Their mistress
The mistress
The sea.

She greets their return as any women spurned so long must.
With anger
With coldness
With roughness, and spite……………….

The great rollers cream –green , white streaked, steep –and Zuiho slams into each in turn – the great sheets of spray rolling, flying over her deck.
She rises to each, thrusts them aside, and pitches down, down to the next –rolling hard as well –slamming in, corkscrewing up this one –seas hissing, angry, nasty – seeking any and every opening –keen, murderously keen, to get in, to take you, to have you, you, for your mistress all alone………

Imagine, if you will – if you are one of the many new boys today –for Zuiho has many new faces.
It has been a day of wonder, of terror, of confusion,…….. and helpless ness

How proud you were, just a short time ago –to be on these mighty decks –to be in that crisp uniform –watching japan slip astern –ready to serve your country at last –determined to do your duty.

And then, the decks began to move………..

Now –now you sit in the mess –grimly – as the world moves sickenly up –and sickenly down –your stomach still going up –as the world now goes sideways…..
And the ‘man’ who has been assigned to “show you the ropes” is now steadily consuming his dinner –right there! –in front of you –as if this was back on solid ground.
And do you want your issue? –umm, no , not now thanks……………..
And –wolf –its gone!.
The moment –the moment you have trained for –now for the first watch.

It is so hard to maintain your footing – are you the only one who has noticed that we are about to capsize! –why, how can this packed mess be so jovial!

And now the ladder up – and one moment you are being pressed into the rungs –the next -, Heavens! –hang on!

The door to the hanger – and as she rolls –the full weight of it tries to crush your fingers – -struggle, struggle – and the hanger.

Smell –oil, fuel –grease, dope.
A delightful smell…………….not.
You swallow, and ………….Heavens –the whole deck is rising climbing…and now falling.
And the smell…………….

And the horror wins –and the first vomit rises –unbidden, unstoppable….humiliation –and the hanger crews cry in mocking voices – ‘Hey! –there goes another green horn!
Seasickness
Misery

I know every cure for sea sickness in the book
None work

Only time does.
Time to get your sea legs
Time to get your inner ear in synch
Until then -……………….

No Trom, no history, tells you really –of a hundred mens misery, of that first night at sea.

Hasegawa stands steadily against the binnacle –watching her bow plow the next swell
‘brisk eh Hidaka?’
‘Brisk indeed”

“And the new men?”
‘As expected sir”
They both grin. A privilege of command –to be here, in the air, out of the stink –able to see the horizon
‘News Hidaka?’
‘Hiyo hit by two duds this morning, combined fleet at sea”
Hasegawa nods ‘ I damn well hope the Americans don’t find out how useless their fish are any time soon”
He contemplates the setting sun
“We will be in -as they would say –heaps big trouble when they do”

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 428
RE: The little ship that could. - 4/23/2011 4:20:52 PM   
kaleun

Very good!

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 429
RE: The little ship that could. - 4/25/2011 9:13:33 AM   
1275psi

25/6/42

Zuiho continues to plow steadily through the swells –she. Like her crew, are settling back into routine –and I swear she has now once again found her proper gait.
But the mess decks at meals times are still “light on”

Below, the Charge is sharing tea –again.
Port Boiler hums nicely –the blowers are steady, the beat of the fuel pumps rhythmic.
Soot blows have been done –with out drama
The bilges are dry
The boiler chemistry is good.
And barely a whisper of steam escapes from anywhere.

As if reading his mind, Hirate leans into his ear and shouts ‘ its all going too well, isn’t it!?”
The Charge grins “about bloody time I think., But you watch –if the little bitch does not give us grief –I bet some American swine will”

Hidaka nods
Yes –that is true –and a reminder. So far, its been the British, the dutch. Now, if the rumours are correct –it will be the Americans. How rude to think some one wants to damage his nice shiny boiler room? –or for that matter –him!

Hosho digs himself deeper into his hole –and cringes –he can’t help himself –as the bombers above begin the screaming dive.
Howling engines –the roar of the pullout –the scream of the bombs –the bang!, BANG, BANG!, of the impacts.

He raises his head cautiously – the enemy position is covered in dust – and silent.
‘Come on then!”
OUT! –UP! –and sprinting across the open ground –into the dust, the chaos.
Craters –shattered logs, shattered rampant…..shattered men.

The Sonia’s have done their job

Crackle of gunfire over there , on the flank
Hosho’s platoon forms up-looks at him. Swift arm movement –you , you, you –that way –you men –that way –the rest –this way –on me!

112th regiment continues a fighting advance

Hosho continues to do his bit……………..

(Congrats on your promotion Hosho!)

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 430
RE: The little ship that could. - 4/26/2011 6:46:36 AM   
hosho

many thanks mate
look forward to new adventures in burma and it will be interesting if yamamoto can make the old dictator happy and get the american carriers.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 431
RE: The little ship that could. - 4/26/2011 7:02:10 PM   
Insano

I'm glad that Zuiho is back at sea after the men got some much needed time at home. However I have to say that it gives me the willies to think about these 3 CVLs sailing around at this date when enemy carriers could be lurking. Is Junyo sailing with the big KB? Protect our characters!

(in reply to hosho)
Post #: 432
RE: The little ship that could. - 4/26/2011 7:29:29 PM   
John 3rd

Let alone with only FIVE DDs as escort. MIGHTY THIN!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Insano)
Post #: 433
RE: The little ship that could. - 4/27/2011 8:31:18 AM   
1275psi

Thank you for comments

Sigh -Japan never has enough ships ney?!
So, we go with what we got!
Protect your characters! -Bushido!, Bushido!. besides, battles as so much more interesting..........

I am only 2 turns behind game -cantona is very busy with moving house I think -so, who knows what will happen.

anyway -here is todays (rushed) entry

Extract from Shattering the sword, a Cantona production

This operation, quite simply, was a monster. As examined in the previous chapter, Yamamoto’s desperation to bring the allied carriers to action has given birth to an operation both vague in its objectives, and as complicated as anything ever seen before.
It would also consumed vast amounts of Japans precious (and dwindling) fuel reserves.
Here had of course been the detractors-and many alternatives put before Combined fleet. One even included a plan to strike pearl itself –a scheme quickly derided as “impossible’
But none really appealed to the psyche of Yamamoto –of his gambling brain. Instead of brute force –he would go for guile, and cunning.

The plan was simple –and hugely complicated at the same time.
Three light carriers would drive deep into the area between Hawaii and canton island, scouting Johnston to its north .

Hiyo and Junyo-once their airgroups had been reinforced, would leave Truk –and head due east too.

Both task forces would raid the convoy routes – and be the bait.
Combined fleet would trail the light CVLs –and wait in ambush.
Brutal tactics for the CVLs . But if this war is to be won……………

Large numbers of SS would screen the raids, lurking between pearl and Johnston, and three AMCs also would provide a trip wire..

A simple plan – but what if the allies did not come out?
Few on Zuihio know of her true role in this operation. Hasegawa, Hidaka, the navigator.
The navigator is a good officer –he will follow orders
Hidaka simply seeks a fight
Hasegawa, the cancer eating into him, now too has his motives for seeking battle –glorious battle.
Swift eagle plunges steadily southwest. Her command cares little for preservation
It seeks battle.

26/6/42

Once again the flight deck thunders to the beat of aero engines, the clouds of exhaust a fog over her, whipping away as she works again towards full speed.
Her deck is crowded now, and below the hangers are packed too –Hasegawa and Hidaka need to know, just how long do they need to get a full strike away –now that her sword has the extra teeth?

They stand now, side by side, on the edge of the deck, bodies easy against the swell and roll of the ship.
‘Impressive yes?’
Hasegawa almost has to shout
‘’yes, but not if we cannot get them away”
‘How long now?”
“we are at 40 minutes”

The captain nods. Forty minutes since the call to ‘launch a max strike”. 18 fighters, and below, a dozen bombers. Now, now all but ready to go. Good enough. Forty minutes in fact-is very good.
But Hidaka is right, no bloody good stuck here on deck……
He leans to a voice pipe “bridge, captain –what is wind across the deck now?”
“26 knots sir!”
‘Our speed?”
“21 knots sir”
damn –not fast enough, not for the bombers. Again, that damn irritation sweeps through him. Bloody Minobe and his boilers! How long does he need?
Irritated, and letting his voice show it now ‘How long to we have four boilers?”
‘ten minutes sir”
‘tell him he has truking five!”

Hidaka smiles .Poor Minobe. Frustrating to be told that four boilers would NOT be required for at least 48 hours, and to have this pulled on him. Poor Minobe. NOT .
Take this as punishment for trying to leave this ship, you ungrateful drunk…………..

A whistle blows, and the knot of brown quilted men break, rapidly dispersing amongst the fighters. It is a big moment again this – many new men. Most are crack, most have carrier experience. But this is a small ship –and a smaller flight deck.
A big moment indeed

Great clouds of black smoke abruptly shovel from the funnel, below, heard even here, the bang of boiler casings, the rapid whine of blowers – a sudden shrieking blast of steam from a safety valve –gone before you can cover your ears, and the smoke clears

‘Four boilers on sir!”
“Full ahead all! –commence launching!”

They go
The twins first-the Nakajima brothers –light hair blowing
Then the veteran -Nakajuma –he has four kills from the phillipines –no worries for him.
Ogawa follows – he and Nakajuma have already teamed up, become wingmen. Heaven help any American who tangles with them!

One after the other –they get away, all of them, safely. Soon the bells ting, and the Kates surge up from below, the men grunt, and heave them aft.

It is a calm day. A sunny day. Above now Swift eagles birds circle, practicing, training for whatever the future holds.
Behind the little carrier, the albatross follow, weaving over her wake, waiting for whatever carrion she might ditch.
And around them the sea spreads to infinity. A sea full of the hunters , and the hunted.
But who is which?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 434
RE: The little ship that could. - 4/27/2011 8:41:05 AM   
hosho

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1275psi

anyway -here is todays (rushed) entry

the addicts thank you

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 435
RE: The little ship that could. - 4/27/2011 7:26:46 PM   
Insano

Wow I love your writing. This is my favorite AAR. But our ship is going to be dangled out for bait! Oh no! I'll be hoping the little ship can stay out of too much trouble. Bushido makes for a good story but it won't stop a Dauntless from taking a crap down your aft elevator.

(in reply to hosho)
Post #: 436
RE: The little ship that could. - 4/28/2011 12:10:24 AM   
Smoky Stoker

Are things going well for the black gang just because you have used up all your good snipe stories? I look forward to their facing some really interesting problems in the future, and not just dauntless-droppings, either.

"Leveling large cities has a tendency to alienate the affections of the inhabitants and does not create an atmosphere of international good will after the war." -Rear Admiral Daniel V. Gallery

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 437
RE: The little ship that could. - 4/28/2011 9:55:29 AM   
1275psi

Hi Smokey!

Zuiho game wise remains system damage free so far……don’t worry, I have lots of things to relate, but I have to reflect the ships state, I am sure this cruise will bring its share of woes.

This post actually written before I read your post……..

Your stomach has settled now, it might be that the seas are getting calmer as she pushes further south, or it might really be that you are getting your sea legs at last.
It is easier, and more pleasant, to think the latter.
0730 hours, and the ocean slides past ‘the balcony’ here on the starboard side of the ship. The balcony is a stretch of companion way between two of the 4.7 inchers, level with the upper hanger deck. Here, as tradition demands, the black gang will always gather before and after a watch.
Before –to take that last smoke, that last cup of coffee. After, to take in the cool air, to dry the sweat from your body.
And to quietly, secretly give thanks that you have gotten through another one….
Few speak in these last minutes –the sea passing by either mesmerizes you, or your mind takes itself away from here –anywhere than the immediate prospect ahead of the beating fans, the crushing heat, and ……………and the other things.

But now it is time to go. You check your stuff, your torch, your little wheelie (the curved, hooked spanner you MUST have to open and close the valves), the shifting spanner, and your pencil.
You are an old man -really, you feel that way, even though you barely need to shave yet, as you struggle to your feet, and follow your companions into the hanger.
You dodge, weave under, through the maze of planes, to the hatch.

The hatch
It is large, this hatch, bolted firmly down, you will go through the escape scuttle on top of it. Feet in first –feeling for the rungs, feeling, and down you go, elbows in, reaching behind for the rails –the assault of the noise, the heat beginning.

And that great hatch is now above you.
And you enter the boiler room…………….and wonder, at how that rhymes with tomb.

Top plates
The water tender nods his greeting –he is soaked with sweat, drenched with it –his face haggard with fatigue –of course, soot blows have just been done, nothing special this –tomorrow, it probably will be your turn.

Bottom plates. You find the lad you will relieve. He bends his ear to your, and the shouting begins
“I topped up the Port blower!, watch the cooler on the starboard one! –I think the strainer may need cleaning ! (which of course makes you wonder why didn’t he clean it –but –of course –the soot blows)
Rounds are good, oils are good! –have a good one!”
And then he is gone
Hirate nods to you –and you indicate the little tin –make the circling motion with your hand ‘right! –I’m of for rounds!’

The little tin is for you to drain each machines sump –water from the glands gathers in each, your job, drain it regularily, dip the oils, turn the filter handle, note for problems, take the pressures, the temperatures.
Be Hirates eyes and ears
Be the Charges eyes and ears.

It’s a lonely job, easy, mind numbingly easy. And that is the problem
Around you –the walls of steel, and the ocean, a mere quarter of an inch away….
Above the hatch
Bolted down.

And the what ifs begin
What if a torpedo should strike now?
Right there –behind the feed tank?
Would it cave in?, would it merely crack, or would it obliterate in a blast taking everything, and one, with it?…….

What if a bomb penetrated –penetrated down to here, here, into the very heart of the beating beast of the boiler – and it should burst?
What if.?

Now, the bells are tinkling –and the mind can drop those thoughts, the clawing fear –revolutions 230! –and Hirate is cursing you in his manner –get the next Truker in! –as you struggle with the sprayer – the boiler banging as you feed its fires of hell.

And of course, the thought rises again –what if?, what if they escaped?

The hours pass.
And now, from above –the 4.7’s are firing –routine drills today – but the banging reaches down even to here –and the dust from the lagging falls in a gentle rain.
What if?
How hard to imagine the whistling of bombs…………

Hirate smiles at you –that scarred red face – and the what if is so much easier to imagine………

A life time passes, and now, finally its your relief.
Oils good! –steady steaming!, and you climb out , take your place on the balcony, breathe the air, see the sky again

There are no medals for facing a watch of what ifs.
But take these days, day after day, watch after watch, what if after what if………….

Maybe their should be…………….

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 438
RE: The little ship that could. - 4/28/2011 5:30:16 PM   
kaleun

Awesome.
Made me sweat, even if no action occurred.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 439
RE: The little ship that could. - 4/29/2011 10:01:02 AM   
1275psi

28/6/42

‘Signal from Combined fleet sir”
Hasegawa takes it, tries to digest its news
‘get me Hidaka”

Hidaka takes the flimsy, studies it in his turn.
“What do you think Hidaka?”
“B17’s hitting Eniwetok can only be coming from one place –Wake.”
Hasegawa smiles “I may be getting old my friend, but even I can work that out. But what does it mean? Will effect us? –can they strike us?”

Almost by reflex Hidaka scans the sky. ‘Yes, they can. Whether they could actually hit us is another matter. But then again –doesn’t Yamamoto want us spotted?”
Hasegawa does not answer. B bloody 17’s. A tricky problem indeed.
“Not by those monsters I would think. I wonder what he will do?”

300 miles to the east of that very question, and Yamamoto too debates the problem.
And to his surprise, and disquiet, he can’t come up with a solution –yet.
Alright then, he will sleep on it –and see what tomorrow brings………..

System wise, Zuiho officially remains at 100% availability.
This is what command knows. This is what Minobe reports every morning.
But things are not well.

Charge sways easily against the swell here in the forward pump room, but even he feels uncomfortable with the way this compartment rises and falls across the swell.
Tucked deep in the bow, underneath the fwd auxiliary room, this little space contains a motor driven fire pump, a fuel transfer pump (for the forward diesel) and very little else, other than the inevitable “ready to hand” stores that have gathered down here.

Now though, he feels an entirely different discomfort. Fully 6 feet of water is sloshing about in this space, and a horrible oil slick is busily smearing itself over the bulkheads.
A single word escapes from his lips – that unprintable word. Grimly he climbs into the water, and makes his way to the valves for the fitted eductor system.
He has to wait for the waves to flow aft, and quickly he plunges his hands down, locates the firemain valve, the suction valve.
The eductor rumbles into satisfying life, and soon the water level begins to fall.

Seriously annoyed now, he searches for the cause of the flood, and wonders ………….wonders many things
How long has this been here?
What of the rounds?
Who was meant to be doing rounds?
And just how much stuff is truked now?

The water continues to recede –and there it is –a steady p#ss of water coming from a gauge line –Ferrell broken away , vibrated lose, or what ever.
Angry now, he isolates it.
He does the sums. Rate of flow, size of space. Somebody has not done his rounds properly………..

Fifteen minutes later, the CPO greenie examines the damage with him. “The motor is stuffed –we will have to dry it out., if you guys disconnect it, we can get it out”
The Charge contemplates the motor –it is a big trucker this motor, nearly 2 feet diameter, and it will be heavy.
“No, we cocked it. We will deliver it. “
“OK, who didn’t do the rounds by the way?’
‘I don’t know –yet”
‘He’s going to be one sorry lad isn’t he?’
‘yes, yes he will be”

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 440
RE: The little ship that could. - 4/29/2011 1:37:49 PM   
PaxMondo

oh, man.  pencil whipping the rounds log book.  gonna lose some skin for that ....

Pax

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 441
RE: The little ship that could. - 5/1/2011 9:05:28 AM   
1275psi

29/6/42

Smn Azuki stand rigidly at attention. He is literally frozen with fear. Before him, the charge sits. Behind them, the door is closed
‘How long have you been onboard this ship Azuki?” The charge sounds tired. His face is a sea of pain, written loud and clear across it.

“Six days Chief petty Officer!”
‘Your first ship?”
‘Hie!”
The Charge takes him in the eye. His eyes are grey, dark, fathomless.
“Seaman Azuki, what is your principle job on this ship?”
The young man hesitates. Terror consumes him. This , this life, has turned into a nightmare so quickly
“Trainee stoker sir!”
The older man smiles “ No, you idiot, Chief petty officer-I work for a living”
‘Chief!”
‘Now, your job –specifically when you do rounds”
The victim, trapped, is being led gently to the gallows………..
The young mind races, the Charge can almost see the gears churning inside………
“To check all compartments and machinery hourly chief”
‘And?”
Up the steps………
‘To dip the oils, to look for…………”
The noose is fitted……….
‘To look for young man?”
“For leaks Chief……..”
Ah yes, to look for leaks………………you have hung yourself you fool, you poor silly fool.
“And the forward pump room –did you really look?”
‘I……….I did Chief”

The older man does not doubt that, but he can already guess at the real story.
New man. Heavy seas. The vomit rocket compartment…..so much easier to just look through the hatch, than descend into that smell. Hadn’t he done it himself once?. Hadn’t they all?.
But they had not been so unlucky

“Seaman Azuki, your job is this –you are my eyes, my ears. Mine. On you, I depend on everything. If I cannot trust you, you who has so little responsibility –who can I trust. Who can trust anyone?. Can you trust me, do you trust me?”

Silence.

“But what is your real job Azuki?”
Sir..I mean chief?”
‘Your real job –what is it?’
The young man stands rigid still –lost now
‘Let me explain. You are a stoker second. Second. Do you understand? But you are a warrior first!. All of us –we are warriors first. If anyone of us, any single one of us, does not do our duty –then this ship –this weapon-this little carrier –fails.
Fails.”

Silence – but now, finally, a face red with shame.

Quietly now, almost a whisper. “it used to be custom in this nation for failed warriors to slit their bellies……..”
And now Azuki’s face is horror filled. The consequences of his actions are now, finally coming to him…….

The Charge stands
‘however, I need every man, every piece of equipment. Here it is Azuki. You will repay your shame, you and all of your watch that have forgotten that we are warriors first. Minobe would have you beaten. Hasegawa would have you shot – as you should be……………..”

The older man stands in front of the younger
So young, so naive. I was like that once……….I got the second chance……..
‘you have twelve hours to get that motor to the electrical workshop. If you take twelve hours one minute, then I will give you a sword myself”

Later, at Minobes cabin
‘Rounds Chief?’
‘All good sir –we have a short in the forward pump room, down a fire pump I am afraid, we are pulling it out for a look see”
‘I see –no problem. Good to give nothing for Hasegawa to ride us about for another day yes?’
‘Yes sir, it is”

Dusk
Zuiho is 360 miles due North east of marcus, recovering her final birds.
The horizon is already dark, the sea mist heavy, the usual thunderheads gathering in the distance.
A thousand miles of empty ocean. But there on the horizon, very low down–unnoticed –a sudden flash of aluminum in the setting sun.
An aircraft
And not Japanese.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 442
RE: The little ship that could. - 5/2/2011 10:57:13 AM   
1275psi

30/6/42

Hosho again rests under a tree.
From 20 feet away, you would be hard put to tell that a man rests there at all. From fifty feet away, that a platoon rests with him.
Each man, in his platoon, the company, the regiment, is now a mobile forest, each pack a carefully arranged camouflage of jungle.

There is a reason now –for overhead, every day –the allied bombers prowl.
But they do not roam unmolested, once again the skies above reverberate to the growl of the high powered engines, the snarl of guns, and the occasional death scream of the loser.
The war over head ‘is hot’

Today, its hurricanes verses the KI-43’s –a swirling snarling show.
Planes fall – and too many are Japanese, eliciting cries of distress and pain from the onlookers
But one british one does, and its pilot –purely by chance floats down to within 15 feet of hoshos platoon.

He lands, and even as he recovers, tries to undo his chute – the forest, horrifically –comes alive around him.
He has no time for fear however –before a dozen bayonets split him open………
The war, no gentlemans game this, continues in Burma

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 443
RE: The little ship that could. - 5/3/2011 9:28:53 AM   
1275psi

1/7/42

It is very late in the evening, the sort of hour when the streets are quiet, and the ticking of the wall clock rings loud.
Herbiesan is alone in this massive room, deep, deep under the streets of Tokyo. The conference is finished, the generals gone..
Bed, and its contents, await –yet draw him not at all.

Before him, the great map of the pacific, the little red flags spread from Northern Burma, to the tip of the solomons. And there in the pacific, the three extra flags – Junyo, Hiyo, hunting east of the gilberts. And to the north of wake –combined fleet, and further east –swift eagle

And not a sight, or smell, of the Americans.
Nothing
Again, that un ease spreads through him.
The unease a dictator must never, ever show to the wolves that circle the throne every day.
They can smell blood, those wolves.
He does not bleed yet –but one disaster, one loss …………..

But now, here in the quiet, it rises again. How to finish this war?
Can it be true. Twenty fleet cariers laid down and building in the USA?
A dozen battleships?
50000 airplanes?
Impossible!
But what if it is true?

The map is full of so many red flags – positions of strength? –or vulnerable indefensible outposts?
His eyes are drawn again to the dots in the pacific. So much depends on those ships.

Decision
He will give Yamamoto a week. No more.
Then he will gather his strength together again –and try to think of how to defend all these little red flags……………

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 444
RE: The little ship that could. - 5/3/2011 8:54:24 PM   
kaleun

Cue in the music.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 445
RE: The little ship that could. - 5/4/2011 10:06:44 AM   
1275psi

3/July/42

“You do realize tomorrow is the fourth of July?’. Hasegawa says, as he reaches for his glasses, sweeps the horizon yet again.
Nothing
Again
“yes”. Hidaka raises his –takes his turn at sweeping.. calm seas, no mist. Visibility a million miles.
And nothing to be seen.
Hidaka lowers the glasses. “Are you thinking what I am thinking?”
‘That the Americans can hardly let tomorrow go past quietly?”
‘yes” agrees Hidaka “that’s exactly what I am thinking”

the Older man sighs, rubs his chin, smiles –old grey eyes twinkling however “ Gives one the willies doesn’t it?”

The day however, passes quietly –CAP is flown, search is flown. In the afternoon, refueling, it passes routinely today, and the fat tankers depart for KB just after dark.
It’s a nothing day, really……………

Nashiguchi wearily makes his way from the ablutions towards his hammock, tired, aching.
Another day of endless laps around the fleet, another day of sun burning down, of sweat, of ache, of pounding from the engine. His bum, quite frankly is numb.
And tomorrow, another day that will begin at 0300 hours, and end deep into the night.

He climbs adroitly into the hammock, turns his back against the glare of the lights in the mess, against the noisy humanity in it –the card games, the board games, the eating. .
It is a special skill this –the ability all men at sea develop – the ability to take this little space –this hammock –this space-your space –and to ‘isolate’ it from the world.
You climb into your rack, turn your back to the mess –and it is, for all practical purposes – no longer there.

And it works the other way – your friend is there, playing cards with you. He announces “guts shift’, closes his hand, and moves what? – ten feet away, strips, climbs in…………..and is gone.
You don’t disturb him, and truly, he ‘fades from view’.

It’s a skill. But you develop it.

(the other one is of course, the ability to drop of to sleep immediately, despite the noise, the lights, the movement, and the stink)
(but maybe exhaustion helps that. -------But ask any navy veteran – it’s the lack of noise that makes it hard to sleep)

And so, Nashiguchi enters his own little world. And, as is his lifetime habit, he reaches into the little pocket he has sewn into the hammock, and reaches for his Bible.
His hand, however, encounters not the expected worn leather cover, but something soft, and sticky.
He withdraws his hand - and finds it covered in human excrement
The world, for him, pauses.

He looks up – and stares straight at Kurihama.
Eyes meet.
Kurihama smiles, and then turns away, back to his game.

Gingerly, Nashiguchi withdraws his book. It is after all, only a book – and crap washes off.
But Nashiguchi won’t sleep very well tonight.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 446
RE: The little ship that could. - 5/4/2011 2:58:23 PM   
kaleun

Kurihama is lucky it is not "the other" holy book.
Nice touch.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 447
RE: The little ship that could. - 5/4/2011 4:23:02 PM   
Smoky Stoker

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1275psi
( -------But ask any navy veteran – it’s the lack of noise that makes it hard to sleep)

The last time I was at sea was in 1974, but I still clip a small fan to my headboard and run it all the year around. It's a niche variation on "getting a buzz on". There used to be 'white noise machines' that would do the same, but the ones they sell nowadays last no more than a month or two, and cost more than the fan as well.

"Leveling large cities has a tendency to alienate the affections of the inhabitants and does not create an atmosphere of international good will after the war." -Rear Admiral Daniel V. Gallery

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 448
RE: The little ship that could. - 5/5/2011 5:17:06 AM   
oi

Dear Great Dictator,
This is absolutely brilliant and poetic writing. Thanks for taking the time to think up and write down such detailed thoughts. Have you seen the colorized photo of Zuiho at Cape Engano?
oi

(in reply to Smoky Stoker)
Post #: 449
RE: The little ship that could. - 5/5/2011 10:57:51 AM   
1275psi

Hi guys
Yes, seen photo
Info on Zuiho is very scarce -I may have to buy model of her one day -but i am a bit busy building my 1/72 scale yamato -2.65 mtres of her!

thankyou for comments.

(we need some action soon though yes? LOL)

4/7/42

“For TRUK sakes! – hold the bitch steady!”
The nightmare for smn Azuki continues. For the hundredth time he thinks he should have taken the beating, for the hundredth time, that sword seems such an easy answer.
He struggles now against many things, the weight of the motor on the trolley –attempting to roll away, against the rising swell of vomit in his belly, but mostly against the looks of scorn from those around him..
And again, the shame sweeps through him.
Word of his ‘punishment’, had swept like lightning through the mess- but so had the deadline set by the Charge.
For several hours, Azuki had sat above that hatch, consumed with misery –how –alone –was he going to do it.
Then, a curios thing (curious then, but not now) had happened.
‘In a bit of strife ney?”
The stoker –a stranger –was huge. He was also smiling. “don’t worry “ this great beast of a man had chuckled “ the Charges bark is worse than his bite –and I should know”
And with that, Lurch had slipped through the hatch, spanner bag in hand.

Azuki –at this moment – feels, knows, this is a pivotal moment. Go down, down into that rising, falling, rolling, stinking hell –and things will change.
Hesitate……….

He, of course goes.

The Motor is huge, and heavy, and acts the bitch they expect it to be –hold down bolts are rusted in, and have to be chiseled off , the chain blocks will weave like the fighters they carry, and the motor will attempt countless times to amputate fingers, toes, crush limbs.
Oh yes –she will be a bitch, this motor.
Azuki stays. He spews, he sweats, he stays.
Blood will flow from his knuckles.
Others –all strangers to him –come and go, working before, and after watch.
It takes time, but slowly Azuki comes to realise something, something deep, and very meaningful is occurring here, here deep in Zuiho’s guts
They come, and work, not for him, but for the Charge.
Yes –the word has spread.
Loyalty flows two ways……………

Azuki stays, exhausted, he stays.
He helps haul this bitch up the many decks, the rattle of the block and tackle a steady rhythm.
He stays as they put her onto the trolley.
He stays as they chain the bitch over every coaming, every obstacle, across the hanger to the greenies workshop
And now they are here –one more coaming to go.
And again, he struggles to hold her steady.

Suddenly the work stops, and the men leap back, stand straight, and HE is there –the Charge, and he does not even look at him –examining the beast with a critical eye.
‘Good job men-I am sure she will go again”
And that is that.
“good job men” is enough
Again, the shame rises……………………and smn Azuki will never, ever skip rounds again.

A lesson the Charge knows –no beating would have ever assured.

Despite “the willies’, July the fourth passes very quietly. In Burma, Akyab falls to Japan, Katha too.
Yamamoto, frustration rising, decides to up the stakes.

From Combined Fleet
To
Swift eagle

‘Strike Wake”

‘Come right, new course 210degrees. “
“do you hear there. This ship will conduct offensive combat operations tomorrow from 0400 hours. Action stations will be called 0300 hrs.
That is all”

(in reply to oi)
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The little ship that could. Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI