Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to play mods with Gold setup?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Advanced Tactics Support >> How to play mods with Gold setup? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to play mods with Gold setup? - 4/15/2011 10:34:23 AM   
DakaSha

Is there any way to play mods with the gold setup? So i get climate etc?

Or is it possible to use the classic setup (so i can play more specific maps) with climate options?

edit: I just renamed the files. Is this the 'correct' way? o.0

< Message edited by DakaSha -- 4/15/2011 11:14:57 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: How to play mods with Gold setup? - 4/16/2011 6:23:21 PM   
Lion9

I too would like to be able to play the mods that have been included with ATG -- using ALL of the new rules and features. I am not quite understanding why this was not done to begin with?

I shouldn't have to search around and go into any files and alter them in any way, should I? Anyhow, if it is so easily done why hasn't it already been done by those who know best how to do so?

(in reply to DakaSha)
Post #: 2
RE: How to play mods with Gold setup? - 4/16/2011 10:10:57 PM   
DakaSha

I have to say that the way Classic and Gold randoms games are handled baffles me. Especially in regards to at2 files

(in reply to Lion9)
Post #: 3
RE: How to play mods with Gold setup? - 4/17/2011 12:18:15 AM   
henri51

The old scenarios will run the same way they did before, but with the new AI and new GUI. That is, you will not have resources etc. If they are packaged correctly (and most are) you just install them by clicking on the uzip/install button in the scenario selection screen. As explained elsewhere, to see them you have to choose the different ending in the popup at the bottom right (.at2 and .pt2), and they are sometime in another folder (usually the "scenarios" folder (as opposed to the "ATGscenarios" folder where the ATG scenarios are).

Henri

(in reply to Lion9)
Post #: 4
RE: How to play mods with Gold setup? - 4/17/2011 4:36:12 AM   
DakaSha

?
Im asking how to play mods not scenarios.
I dont see why we cant just select the at2 file like we can in classic when using random gold. Or why we cant use the classic setup with ATG rules.

Its like we get 'less' no matter what we choose. Maybe its just me but i thought things are supposed to evolve not devolve :-/

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 5
RE: How to play mods with Gold setup? - 4/19/2011 5:45:40 PM   
mgaffn1

I am experiencing a similar situation as DakaSha. I am able to play new random games in ATGold, but have not been able to open old AT scenarios with the new ATGold graphics and resources. I would like very much to be able to update some of my old favorite scenarios with the new features & graphics.

(in reply to DakaSha)
Post #: 6
RE: How to play mods with Gold setup? - 4/19/2011 7:28:55 PM   
Vic

quote:

ORIGINAL: mgaffn1

I am experiencing a similar situation as DakaSha. I am able to play new random games in ATGold, but have not been able to open old AT scenarios with the new ATGold graphics and resources. I would like very much to be able to update some of my old favorite scenarios with the new features & graphics.

guys this aint that easy.

there is no magic button here updating everything.

basicly every AT scenario is (or could be) its own microcosm with its own graphics, rules and data defenitions.

best regards.
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to mgaffn1)
Post #: 7
RE: How to play mods with Gold setup? - 4/19/2011 11:07:08 PM   
mgaffn1

aw shucks - I had to ask. (I was hoping for a "magic button", but I am after all, an optimist )
I am considering loading a ATGold random map, erasing all the landscape elements, hex & location definitions, and redrawing a map of western europe & reassigning the regimes to their respective countries. It will be an ATGold version of Risk - "mildly" historical. Will keep everyone apprised of how this works.

Thanks for responding, Vic. There aren't many gaming companies where you can post a question and get an answer from the author/creator.
Overall, I am very satisfied with what you get with ATGold. Keep designing the kind of games I like to play.
cheers,

Mike

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 8
RE: How to play mods with Gold setup? - 4/20/2011 1:09:59 AM   
SSFSX17

quote:

If the original AT scenario had no mods (i.e. not WAW, not Roman Empire, etc.) then it may be possible to edit the scenario, then go to Settings, then select a new masterfile. Raw & Oil always have to be placed on the map manually afterwards, though.

(in reply to mgaffn1)
Post #: 9
RE: How to play mods with Gold setup? - 4/20/2011 1:36:09 AM   
DakaSha

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

quote:

basicly every AT scenario is (or could be) its own microcosm with its own graphics, rules and data defenitions.

best regards.
Vic

Its possible in Classic setup. Why not Gold
I'm only asking that Gold created at2's be loadable with Gold random games.. I dont see the problem.
Basically (non-scenario, random based) mods made for/with Gold arnt even playable in Gold without editing files. Fail IMO

edit: lol god i do sound like a complete jerk. But honestly now: How can i not feel 'played' when the game cant do what its predecessor did? Whats the point of a mod made for Random play if you cant.. you know play it? I can edit filenames but why do i have to do this :-/

Not as big of a deal as im making it out to be though. At least it works

< Message edited by DakaSha -- 4/20/2011 1:45:20 AM >

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 10
RE: How to play mods with Gold setup? - 4/20/2011 7:45:10 AM   
Vic

quote:

ORIGINAL: DakaSha

quote:

quote:

best regards.
Vic

I'm only asking that Gold created at2's be loadable with Gold random games.. I dont see the problem.
Basically (non-scenario, random based) mods made for/with Gold arnt even playable in Gold without editing files. Fail IMO

edit: lol god i do sound like a complete jerk. But honestly now: How can i not feel 'played' when the game cant do what its predecessor did? Whats the point of a mod made for Random play if you cant.. you know play it? I can edit filenames but why do i have to do this :-/

I think you misformulated your question :)

If you are asking how you can use a different masterfile for use in the new random algorithm then the answer is that the modder must not only upload the new masterfile (.at2 file) but also a new startup script.

see:
http://www.vrdesigns.nl/atwiki/doku.php?id=startup_scripts

this is slightly more work for the modder, but makes things very much easier on the end-users.

best,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to DakaSha)
Post #: 11
RE: How to play mods with Gold setup? - 4/21/2011 3:36:35 AM   
DakaSha

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DakaSha

quote:

quote:

best regards.
Vic

I think you misformulated your question :)

If you are asking how you can use a different masterfile for use in the new random algorithm then the answer is that the modder must not only upload the new masterfile (.at2 file) but also a new startup script.

see:
http://www.vrdesigns.nl/atwiki/doku.php?id=startup_scripts

this is slightly more work for the modder, but makes things very much easier on the end-users.

best,
Vic

lol wow. IT HAS BEEN EXPLAINED
thanks ^^

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Advanced Tactics Support >> How to play mods with Gold setup? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI