Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Confederate AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Confederate AAR Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/9/2011 1:22:06 AM   
Ugly Guy

Turn 5 (Early January 1862):

SecWar Report:
1. Lee once again refused to move from his base in Memphis to the western Tennessee country side. We have three brigades under Gen. Breckenridge encamped there.
2. Rumors report that Gen. Buell's army in Missouri has moved east towards the Mississippi river to join with the Federal division that beseiged Fort DeRussey.
3. The seige of Fort Monroe was successful! Gen. Magruders division will now be able to provide on demand reinforcements to Gen. Beauregard's ANV.
4. Disease struck the AoT. We are happy to report that our newly built field hospital enhancements were able to save many a valuable soldier from the epidemic.
5. The 1st Mississippi Volunteers were converted to the 1st Mississippi Volunteer Artillery Battery. It will probably be early February before we are able to refit the battery with Napolean cannons.
6. Our four understrength divisions were attacked in Kenewah. Battle reports will follow the summary departmental reporting.
7. An additional ~2500 minimally trained recruits joined existing brigades. Between the battle in Kenewah and the disease epidemics, our commanders are still reporting a need for an additional 90,000 men to fill out existing regiments.
8. Our spies in Washington D.C. continue to report massive troop concentrations there. They are advising an attack south into Virginia is imminent, especially given the recent loss of Fort Monroe.
9. Enough shoulder arms were scavanged from the battles in Kenewah to refit the 24th CSA Infantry with Minie rifles.
10. Spies in Kentucky report that Thomas' division has moved inot south-eastern KY. This is disturbing as it puts it in position to strike Knoxville, Nashville, or reinforce an attack on Kenawha.

SecInt Report:
1. Began construction on a camp in Galveston and a camp in Knoxville.

SecNav Report
1. Our blockade runners in the Gulf of Mexico managed to bring in 20 units for iron.
2. The forts off the coast of Virginia still continue to report sightings of large amounts of Union frigates gathering there.

SecState Report
1. British support for the Union is reportedly on the rise, while our position is continuing to be coldly received by the British and Europeans. France continues its covert support, but the current inflated price of its Liege rifles has diminished the value of that support.

< Message edited by Ugly Guy -- 4/9/2011 1:32:56 AM >

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 31
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/9/2011 1:25:27 AM   
Ugly Guy

Battle of Kenawha: Starting strengths

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ugly Guy -- 4/9/2011 1:31:13 AM >

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 32
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/9/2011 1:26:32 AM   
Ugly Guy

Battle of Kenawha: Starting positions

I think the Union called in more reinforcements judging by the initial deployment.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ugly Guy -- 4/9/2011 1:31:26 AM >

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 33
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/9/2011 1:29:42 AM   
Ugly Guy

Battle of Kenawha: Final Results

Judging from the results, either the RNG hates me or the Union army I fought was better equipped than I was. Smart money is on "all of the above". But I pulled out a victory in a strategically critical area. That is what matters. Plus I walked away with a brigade full of shiny new, only slightly blood-stained Minie rifles.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ugly Guy -- 4/9/2011 1:31:57 AM >

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 34
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/9/2011 4:15:07 PM   
terje439

How did the generals perform? What side had the most rallies? I am guessing the Northern Agressors

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 35
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/9/2011 4:26:30 PM   
Ugly Guy

Very few rallies. I think two each if IIRC. The battle was fairly short.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 36
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/9/2011 9:48:08 PM   
Ugly Guy

Late January 1862 Strategy

1. This is the last winter turn before action begins again in earnest. I was wrong in my initial assesment about the cost of army, corps, and divisions, so I will probably build a corp or two to help manage my armies and give me more flexibility. Some may be under-brigade limits for awhile, but that is ok. The Union usually emancipates around spring/summer 1863, which will drive alot of brigades into my armies. I would like to have the organizational infrastructure in place before then to speed their integration into the fight.
2. I am still going to try and bait the Union down the Mississippi. Having played other games at this difficulty and scenario, I can't afford to have the Union going crazy in Kentucky.
3. I am leaning towards prioritizing St. Louis in my capture plans. The population there will be a perfect place for camps if it doesn't come under constant attack. I will have to see how it plays out.
4. I need more camps. Camps and Mints at the beginning. I will probably hold off on plantations for a few months given that camps don't count against my building limits and I have a decent amount of room in New Orleans, Charleston, and Atlanta for mints. My iron shortage will hold off my mint building some, which just means more camps. I don't know if other people build this many camps, but its usually the only thing that allows me to survive the mid-1863 attrition fest the Union always likes to engage in.
5. So this will probably be the last boring turn. I am sure the Federals are just as itchy for a fight as my troops are.

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 37
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/9/2011 10:12:56 PM   
Ugly Guy

Turn 6 (Late January 1862):

SecWar Report:
1. We started construction of a new corp headquarter in Jackson.
2. We continued to move brigades through the snowy weather by rail to reinforce our existing armies.
3. Gen. Lee once again refused to move east into western Tennessee from his base at Fort Pillow. This seems to be a factor of the poor weather in that area, the threat of a Union offensive into Memphis, and his desire to further train is soldiers before moving camps.
4. ~3200 men minimally trained soldiers were dispersed into existing brigades from training camps throughout the South.
5. We advise that the President undertake a shuffling of the command structure before the summer campaign season.
6. The seige of Pensacola has been won. Gen. Bragg has been ordered to rendezvous with General Lee in western Tennessee.
7. A brigade of N. Carolina volunteers has been ordered interned at Knoxville given the Federal movements into south-eastern Kentucky.
8. Confederate raiders in Missouri continue to cause economic damage there.

SecInt Report:
1. We began construction on a camp in Shreveport and another camp in Tallahassee.
2. We report that camps in Galvestone and Knoxville have finished construction.

SecNav Report:
1. The blockade runners damaged in Novemeber have completed repairs and are ready to begin BR operations around the southern coast. We will emphasize money, iron, and weapons.

SecState Report:
1. It is unfortunate to report that the British seem to be increasing their report for the Union, despite the long-standing disagreements between the two countries. Again, we advise that battlefield victories will be a must to win over the Europeans given our low budget for moaking diplomatic overtures.

< Message edited by Ugly Guy -- 4/9/2011 10:13:02 PM >

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 38
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/9/2011 10:20:53 PM   
Ugly Guy

Early February 1862 Strategy

1. I am almost certain attacks are imminent all across the front. I should be in a good position to defend them now. By the time they get organized, my spring reinforcements will have arrived.
2. I am going to make a division structure in Mobile. This will group with the corp being made in Jackson. I am also going to make another barracks in Jackson so that I can make army containers in the future.
3. I will probably start another corp structure in Jackson when this one is done. That should provide enough containers for my armies in the west.
4. I will continue to build camps and make sure my artillery is properly upgraded. I would also like to convert a unit in each of the Army of Kentucky and Jackson's corp to artillery. I am almost positive the Union will have artillery in those areas sooner rather than later.
5. I am glad to have my second BR repaired. Hopefully I can avoid it again in the future.
6. My odds on weapon stealing missions with my raider are improving. Hopefully I can supplement my weapons production this way given purchasing weapons from Europe is no longer an option. Victories against the Union will also help in this endeavour.

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 39
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/9/2011 10:51:24 PM   
Ugly Guy

Turn 7 (Early February 1862):

SecWar Report:
1. We continued to move up brigades into existing units.
2. ~3900 minimally trained reinforcements were integrated into existing brigades.
3. Fighting broke out all across the border states. Battles in Topeka, Kenewha, Grafton, Franklin, and Fredericksburg were reported. Detailed reports to follow.
4. Gen. Bragg has begun moving north.
5. The seige at Topeka was thwarted due to overwhelming Union pressure.
6. Our raiders in Missouri were effective in stealing some Union weapons, but the local militia managed to ambush them after their raid. It is doubtful that they will continue as an effective fighting force.
7. Disease struck Gen. Lee's army in Hatchie. Estimated losses are over the 2,000. There is a rumor that Gen. Lee signed his letter with "I told you so."
8. The Union army under General Buell has moved into the Mississippi river area vacated by Gen. Lee. It appears our baiting worked. We expect them to begin seige operations within the next two weeks. Gen. Lee has been given instructions to prepare to attack.

SecInt Report:
1. Began construction on a barracks in Jackson and a camp in Austin.
2. The camps in Tallehassee and Shreveport have finished construction.

SecNav Report:
1. Blockade runners brought in 40 units of money and 50 units of iron in the past two weeks. It is good to have them fully effective again. We look to begin resuming BR operations along the eastern seaboard within the next two weeks.

SecState Report:
1. French support for us has declined slightly. We have been unsuccessful in finding any more sellers of arms for our forces.
2. European proper support for the Union has increased slightly.
3. Although our military fortunes were good in the past few weeks, the Europeans powers remained unconvinced of our viability. We need a large victory to resume effective negotiations.

< Message edited by Ugly Guy -- 4/9/2011 11:08:20 PM >

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 40
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/9/2011 10:54:24 PM   
Ugly Guy

Battle of Fredericksburg:

Summary - The Union forces fled in the face of our superior army. We captured two Union brigades and several brigades worth of Muskets and Minie rifles. An empty army contained on the Union side was part of the battle. I think the troops were reluctant to follow that general into the fight. If that container would have been full, this could have been epic.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ugly Guy -- 4/9/2011 11:07:04 PM >

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 41
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/9/2011 10:56:18 PM   
Ugly Guy

Battle of Grafton:

Summary - Confederate forces were repelled in a rather one sided battle. The Union armies in West Virginia seem very motivated and well equipped.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 42
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/9/2011 10:57:04 PM   
Ugly Guy

Battle of Grafton: End

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 43
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/9/2011 10:59:19 PM   
Ugly Guy

Battle of Kenewha: Start

Summary - This was a hard fought battle, but our boys emerged victorious. A Union brigade surrendered during the course of the fighting and several brigades' worth of armaments were scavanged from the battlefield.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 44
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/9/2011 11:00:04 PM   
Ugly Guy

Battle of Kenewha: End

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 45
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/9/2011 11:02:38 PM   
Ugly Guy

Battle of Franklin: Start

Summary - After Hallaeck repulsed Jackson at Grafton, he followed-up his victory with an attack on the retreating Rebels. Jackson, ever aware, conducted a fighting retreat, and at the most opportune time, launched a counter offensive with the help of a division stationed in Kenewha. This master stroke crushed the invading Union army.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ugly Guy -- 4/9/2011 11:09:36 PM >

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 46
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/9/2011 11:03:17 PM   
Ugly Guy

Battle of Franklin: End

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 47
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/9/2011 11:04:47 PM   
Ugly Guy

Seige of Topeka: Start

Summary - Union forces out of Missouri attacked our seige lines at Topeka and forced our boys to abandon their nearly completed seige. It was a hard fought battle, but our lines were made for seiging, not defending. If only they would have been alittle bit faster...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ugly Guy -- 4/9/2011 11:05:43 PM >

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 48
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/9/2011 11:05:16 PM   
Ugly Guy

Battle of Topeka: End

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 49
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/12/2011 5:19:04 PM   
Ugly Guy

Hopefully will be able to post more tonight. School work keepin me down!

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 50
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/15/2011 9:34:14 PM   
WallysWorld

Really enjoying your AAR, Ugly Guy. Thanks for posting and please continue to.

One question, are you playing out your battles or quick playing them?

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 51
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/16/2011 1:59:01 AM   
Ugly Guy

I play quick battle exclusively. It makes the game alittle tougher, but my motivation is not masochism. Its mainly due to the fact that I like to play some complete games and may schedule doesn't allow me much time to play.

So now for an update!

(in reply to WallysWorld)
Post #: 52
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/16/2011 2:08:22 AM   
Ugly Guy

Late February 1862 Strategy

1. I am going to move Lee into Memphis. His intiative has been suspect thus far, but if I move in this turn, I can keep Ft. Pillow from falling and drive the Union back. I should have enough forces to do just that.
2. Bragg will continue to move up to join with Lee in Western Tennessee.
3. I need to avoid over extending in West Virginia. Previous battles were stalemates, but I was losing more men than they were which is not good.
4. I have both blockade runners up which will increase my rsource intake
5. A play through in another campaign revealed to me that raiders are 100 horses, not 100 money like I thought before. I will be making these as I have spare horses. The steal weapons function will prove to be very useful. This will also help me dump spare horses, which I will have a fair amount of, especially once I slow down on camps and plantations.
6. I will continue to wait for KY to show its hand. Hopefully it will chose the cause of the just.
7. Getting forced out of Topeka hurts. I almost had that captured. Boo on the RNG. While the city itself is nothing special, it is the gateway towards moving north and east, as the AI usually guards Jefferson City well.

I have made some edits on some of my original posts as some of my information was outdated or just plain wrong. While my basic strategy still is the same, I have modified some small components of it.

< Message edited by Ugly Guy -- 4/16/2011 4:04:47 AM >

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 53
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/16/2011 2:42:59 AM   
Ugly Guy

Turn 8 (Late February 1862):

SecWar Report:
1. Converted the Knoxville Militia in Kenewha to an artillery battery. The extra firepower there will help to hold off the Union aggression.
2. ~4200 minimally trained reinforcements were integrated into existing brigades.
3. General Lee attacked the Union forces seiging Fort Pillow. Details about the attack to follow.
4. Gen. Bragg has moved into north Alabama where he is to join with the newly created Corp structure out of Jackson. The creation of the corp structure means we will need an additional 3-star general. We recommend deferring this decision for now until combat experience can reveal the best candidate.
5. Union forces in KY have moved west into the Mississippi River area to coordinate maneuvers with the Army there commanded by Buell.
6. General Jackson moves into the undefended province of Grafton.
7. General Loring moves his division into the surprisingly undefended Parkersburg.
8. It appears that Union armies have vacated western Virginia and eastern Kentucky. We recommend securing west Virginia and commencing seige operations on Wheeling as soon as feasible.
9. Rumor has it that Hallecks division has moved out of western Virginia and appears to be in Maryland. We fear it may try to move south into the Shenandoah. Recommend recalling Jackson's corp to prevent this.

SecInt Report:
1. Began construction on a camp in Milledgeville and Shreveport.
2. A mine in Augusta and a camp in Austin have finished construction.

SecNav Report:
1. Blockade runners brought in 45 units of iron. The union navy has begun blockades of Norfolk and Wilmington. This has caused some minor concern among the governors of these respective states.

SecState Report:
1. French support for us has risen again. We are again being approached by weapons dealers. Advise on whether any purchases should be negotiated.
2. European proper support for the Confederacy showed some signs of life before the persuasion of Federal gold again closed off these avenues for us.
3. More Confederate victories will be needed to reopen the stalled negotiations with the British.

< Message edited by Ugly Guy -- 4/16/2011 4:10:55 AM >

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 54
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/16/2011 2:54:15 AM   
Ugly Guy

Battle of Memphis: Start

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 55
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/16/2011 2:58:42 AM   
Ugly Guy

Battle of Memphis: End

Summary: While roughly even in numbers, Confederate forces used their superior defensive positions to devastating effect. Southern forces took ~4200 men killed, wounded, or captured; while Federal losses amounted to ~11000 men killed, wounded, or captured. The entire US 56th Infantry surrendered to our forces, and it is reported that Union generals J.G. Barnard and H. Haupt were wounded during the fighting. Roughly a brigade's worth of muskets were also scrounged from the battlefield to rearm our boys.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 56
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/16/2011 4:10:34 AM   
Ugly Guy

Early March 1862 Strategy

1. I will probably move Lee back out of Memphis. Probably do a preemptive move into the Tennessee River, just to head off an advance to Ft. Donalson
2. Bragg will continue to move up to join with Lee in Western Tennessee.
3. I am going to take what the Union is giving in West Virginia. I will probably begin a seige on Wheeling.
4. I look for the Union to make a play for the Shenendoah. Although this is speculative.
5. I will try to work towards an artillery brigade in A.S. Johnston's army and one in Jackson's corp as well.
6. I seem to have a surplus in iron right now, but that is more due to me not making many banks. I will use it to convert some artillery regiments and then start building banks/camps.
7. Hopefully the Union moves away from Topeka soon so I can make a move in that direction. I may pull my forces back to attempt to alleviate that apparent threat there.
8. If I am lucky, KY will declare for me this turn. That would allow me to muster there in the next turn.
9. The Union may also may another play for Fredericksburg. I am not to worried about that as of now.

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 57
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/16/2011 4:39:36 AM   
Ugly Guy

Turn 9 (Early March 1862):

SecWar Report:
1. Converted the 1st Florida Volunteers to an artillery battery. This will provide some heavy firepower for the Army of Kentucky.
2. Started construction of a corp container in Jackson and a Raider in Mobile.
3. General Floyd failed to act on orders to move into Wheeling.
4. General Jackson moved to the Shenendoah Valley to defend against an impending attack. The Union forces feinted and then moved into the newly vacated Grafton instead.
5. Union forces are rumored to have moved back into Wheeling. Our window of opportunity may have closed there.
6. General Lee failed to move west to between the rivers to defend western Tennessee. He says his forces are still recovering from their victory in Memphis. This delay allowed the Union to capture Hatchie.
7. Union forces have also seized the vacated Ft. Henry.
8. Union forces pushed our two divisions in Missouri back into Arkansas. Our generals wisely withdrew in the face of overwhelming odds, preserving their forces for a future counterattack.
9. The Federals, again, pressed an attack at Fredericksburg. Details of this battle will follow.
10. General Bragg has reorganize his forces into the corp container group in N. Mississippi. We advise moving him into General Lee's army.
11. Our forces have completed Target Practive Level 1 training. They are now officially move of a hazard to the enemy than they are themselves.

SecInt Report:
1. Began construction on a camp in Tallahassee.
2. A camp in each Milledgeville and Shreveport has finished construction.
3. Advise moving up the Florida railroad station in the priority list. Would like to see this built at the first available instance of enough iron.
4. Governor Harris no longer requests brigades for his state's defense.

SecNav Report:
1. Blockade runners in the Gulf of Texas brought in 45 units of money.
2. Blockade runners in New England have sustained damage and will require putting to port. Estimated time of 6 weeks for repairs once they reach port. Will take them about a month to reach NO for repair.

SecState Report:
1. French support for us has risen again. Hopefully more French smugglers will be likely to bring us goods.
2. The British gave us mixed signs in the past few weeks, first opening up communications before things became frosty again. Not sure what to make of the current situation. More battlefield victories would always be welcome news here.

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 58
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/16/2011 4:42:14 AM   
Ugly Guy

Battle of Fredericksburg: Start

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 59
RE: Confederate AAR - 4/16/2011 4:47:23 AM   
Ugly Guy

Battle of Fredericksburg: End

Summary: This began as an even battle as well, but it soon became clear that the Union had called for reinforcements from Washington to assist in the fight. It was estimated that another 30k Union troops joined the fight at some time. Despite being outnumbered, our boys put up a valiant fight inflicting roughly twice the casualties that they received, ~4300 vs. ~9100. Two Union brigades, the US 139th and Sykes' Regulars surrendered to us during the course of the battle. Our courageous general, R.E. Rhodes, was wounded during the fighting, but he has shown signs of recovery since the battle ended. Our forces also seized three brigade's of Minie rifles and Hood's brigade rearmed with some Springfields, courtesy of Sykes' Regulars.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ugly Guy)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Confederate AAR Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI