Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: SciFi Flicks?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: SciFi Flicks? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/16/2011 1:12:12 PM   
Data

Btw, anyone knows some good ST cartoons? I seem to recall seeing some a while back of the original series but I never heard of good ones.
Igard, you walking ST pedia, do you know even this?

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to bertipa)
Post #: 31
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/16/2011 1:13:55 PM   
Kayoz

Galaxy Quest - one of the best comedy sci-fi flicks out there - though I think you have to be a bit of a trekkie to appreciate some of the humour. Sigourney Weaver's best bit of acting between Aliens and Avatar.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0177789/

(in reply to bertipa)
Post #: 32
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/16/2011 1:24:31 PM   
bertipa

quote:

Galaxy Quest

Sigourney with t!t$ !! that was really Science Fiction.

BTW Space - Above and Beyond, practically DW on TV.

From the Regina subsector to the Sakaturi base... a long and fulfilling trip.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 33
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/16/2011 2:50:03 PM   
Torgrim

Farscape is pretty good.

(in reply to bertipa)
Post #: 34
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/16/2011 3:12:09 PM   
Data

quote:

ORIGINAL: bertipa

quote:

Galaxy Quest

Sigourney with t!t$ !! that was really Science Fiction.

BTW Space - Above and Beyond, practically DW on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfBndSv8qaE&feature=related

that's some good stuff....especially the amen part

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to bertipa)
Post #: 35
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/16/2011 3:28:55 PM   
Lrfss

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre1

Starship Troopers?

Dune?

Yeo, seen both and liked both!

Thanks!

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 36
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/16/2011 3:30:31 PM   
Lrfss

quote:

ORIGINAL: J HG T

Well, let's see...

My "must see" Sci-Fi list goes something like this:

NOTE: They are not in any order so don't get any ideas.

- District 9
- 5th Element. Super Green! Also, one of the most epic intros what I've seen in movies.
Plus: You WILL love this scene: ZF-1
- Futurama
- Ghost in the Shell (the movie. Deus Ex owes a lot to this and the Matrix)
- Akira (the movie. May be getting the manga too at some point)
- Babylon 5 (No-brainer)
- The Last Starfighter. Cult-classic. Also, has one of the greatest ships in SciFi history: The mighty Gunstar!

Beat that!

- Close encounters of the third kind (Got nightmares of the "kid-abduction" scene. Still gives me the chills)
- Alien trilogy (3 is enjoyable but 4 is only bearable)
- Robocop (the original)
- Terminator 1&2 (3th was enjoyable. "You have been terminated" *BOOOOOOOOM* )
- Minority Report
- Starship Troopers (people who don't "get" this movie need to go to a doctor)
- Independence Day (The best B scfi-movie there is)
- Matrix (the original movie. Still one of the best cyperpunk movies)
- Star Wars (the original trilogy, but new ones are quite enjoyable too. Especially the second and third episode. Well, apart from emo-Anakin)
- Blade Runner
- Moon (really different SciFi movie)

I think these will do for now.

Yep, seen all of these and liked them!

Thanks

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 37
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/16/2011 3:31:23 PM   
Lrfss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

What J said -

but a couple of additions:

- Escape from New York
- The Thing
- Johnny Mnemonic
- eXistenZ
- Scanners

District 9 was one of the best sci-fi films of the decade - SEE IT!

I however disagree with the Alien franchise - #1 and #2 were good - but everything after that was rubbish.

Yep, seen and liked all these and agree with you on the last 2 Aliens as well.

Thanks!

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 38
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/16/2011 3:32:04 PM   
Lrfss

quote:

ORIGINAL: bertipa

quote:

- Independence Day (The best B scfi-movie there is)

- Predator is a better B scifi-movie!

Agreed!

(in reply to bertipa)
Post #: 39
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/16/2011 3:36:55 PM   
Lrfss

quote:

ORIGINAL: hal9000

hej lrfss,

here are some not so famous tv-shows I can recommend to you...

jericho... post apocalyptic setting, was cancelled early, but I really enjoyed it
space above and beyond... wing commander-esque, cancelled early, but definitely worth watching
roughnecks: starship troopers chronicles... cheesy CGI TV series, awful dialogues, but its watchable if you like the movie/book
aeon flux... great dystopian animated tv series
captain future... animated pulp series, not sure if it there is an english translation, but the hero of my childhood :)
hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy... great bbc series from the 80s
cowboy bebop... my all time favourite tv show
space battleship yamato... the japanese anime counterpart to star trek
earth 2... space colonization tv show, decent enough to watch
lexx the dark zone... like a dark version of hitchhikers guide, really great series
jeremiah... luke perry ist the main protagonist, hence it feels like beverly hills after the world went to hell :), but decent enough if you like post-apocalyptic stuff

and some newer movies you may have missed:

eden log
children of men
space odyssey: voyage to the planets, a docufiction where defying gravity stole its idea from
brave new world
the road
mutant chronicles
space truckers
dark city

and finally some must have seen classics, if you haven't already seen them:

royal space force: the wings of honnęamise
forbidden planet
solyaris... the orginal russian movie
fahrenheit 451
stalker... one of my most favourite movies
logans run
soylent green
rollerball... the original 1975 movie with james caan
dark star
total recall
2001 a space odyssey & 2010 odyssey two
plan 9 from outer space... the greatest worst movie of all time
clockwork orange
brazil
the running man
spaceballs

Ah, some I missed here like:

Eden Log, Children of Men, The Road and Space Truckers sounds familiar but not too sure. Going to look these up and thanks!

(in reply to hal9000)
Post #: 40
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/16/2011 3:38:40 PM   
Lrfss

quote:

ORIGINAL: feygan

Whilst I love SG1 and the almost all the SG universe it does suffer from the same disease almost all sci-fi shows suffer from. It went on too long and had no clue where it was going, made new seasons just for the dollars.

All time favourite is B5 (although a couple of the movies were a little poor,) and it's so great because it had a defined story, someone with more than half a brain cell came up with real characters, and realistic events they care about. This meant you cared about the characters too, it also meant when you got to the end it didn't feel like just the next cliff hanger "oh I wonder if it's renewed for season XXXVII." Just a pity they dangled the carrot and got him to go ahead with crusade, the last B5 ep felt like the last chapter of any great novel, you still talked about it after reading but you always felt content the story was ended.

As for films someone mentioned "Moon" great film that shocked the hell out of me in the current market of "no plot fill with extra cgi" that comes out. Few others:
Dark City
Dune/Children of Dune (sci-fi tv versions only)
Mars Attacks (so many folk get their head vaporized its just unreal)
Monsters (think cloverfield with an actual plot)
Pitch black/Chronicles of Riddick
Splice (Species on acid)
Sunshine (still will argue with anyone to say its not amazing in everyway)
The Abyss
The Black Hole
The Fountain (up there with Sunshine)
Total Recall

Missed Sunshine & The Fountain & Children of Dune!

Thanks!

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 41
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/16/2011 3:42:42 PM   
Lrfss

Thanks Guys with all this new for me material I'll be busy in between waiting for new tech breakthroughs in RotS!

(in reply to Lrfss)
Post #: 42
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/16/2011 5:46:06 PM   
Fishers of Men

I few of my favorites:

Alien
The Day the Earth Stood Still(1951 version)
Forbidden Planet
The Thing(original, the Kurt Russell version was OK, too)
Roller Ball(original 1975)
War of The Worlds(Gene Barry 1953, the 2005 version with Tom Cruise was OK, too)
Dune
A. I.
The Blob(Steve McQueen)
Independence Day
Jurassic Park

Old............but very fast

(in reply to Lrfss)
Post #: 43
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/16/2011 8:59:34 PM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

Btw, anyone knows some good ST cartoons? I seem to recall seeing some a while back of the original series but I never heard of good ones.
Igard, you walking ST pedia, do you know even this?

Star Trek - The Animated Series?

I've seen them all. It was pretty average, only a couple of good episodes. The big problems were mainly with the voice acting and bad pacing.

I'd only recommend if you're really into TOS and want to see more. Wish I could remember the episode names, but the one where Spock travels back to his youth is good and the tribbles episode. The episode called 'The Slaver Weapon' introduces us to the Kzinti.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 44
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/16/2011 9:04:45 PM   
Data

Therefore making us take yet another turn in another huuge Known Universe. Btw, wasn't Niven also preparing a movie for the Ringworld series? I played the two adventure games made after those books just as much as I played SQ.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 45
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/16/2011 11:44:22 PM   
Lrfss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishers of Men

I few of my favorites:

Alien
The Day the Earth Stood Still(1951 version)
Forbidden Planet
The Thing(original, the Kurt Russell version was OK, too)
Roller Ball(original 1975)
War of The Worlds(Gene Barry 1953, the 2005 version with Tom Cruise was OK, too)
Dune
A. I.
The Blob(Steve McQueen)
Independence Day
Jurassic Park

Yep seen these and liked them, plus the newer versions of a few as well.

(in reply to Fishers of Men)
Post #: 46
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/16/2011 11:49:25 PM   
Lrfss

Anyone see "Deadspace-"Downfall"? Not bad I thought for an adult sorta cartoon...

And I rember as a kid watching Space 1999, what a classic, not so good...LOL! Man, did they ever get our RL tech tree wrong! Kinda like 2001 SO and 2010 for that matter, what the heck went wrong? The RL Dev's must have taken a vacation after the moon landings it would appear! So sad, yet so true!

(in reply to Lrfss)
Post #: 47
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/17/2011 12:22:41 AM   
Lrfss

quote:

Great list there hal9000. Some weird classics for sure, like the space truckers, the running man and plan 9 from outer space. That movie is STUPID! So stupid that it's classic.
For shame: I've got The Road in my shelf but haven't yet watched it!

Cowboy Bebob is one of those animes series I try to find from local netstores all the time. The funky theme is great stuff!

About the Firefly: I've never been a big fan of the series. My friend likes it a lot but I think it is decent.
To be honest, it's both underrated and overrated. Take your pick.

Farscape I watched for some time and liked it. It's kinda cheesy sometimes, but overall it's a great SciFI series.

I started to watch "Farscape", made thru like 4 episodes. Was kinda crazy as the peeps looked like clowns and the cheezy looks were hard to buy...lol! Course the first SW's movie in that Bar scene had some really special effects going on too no doubt with puppets/muppets....so? Does the story get any better??

Oh and I won't watch sub titled stuff unless it's a documentary, so it's gotta be in English for me as my German & Spanish are very lame these days... Forget Japanese all together langauge wise, though I like playing them in WitP-AE...

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 48
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/17/2011 1:21:36 AM   
tjhkkr

I thought several of the Star Trek Animated were good.
They were excellent considering I think the voices were not recorded at the same time -- actors came in at different times, if I remember reading correctly.

Wow, there are a lot of these movies I have never seen before.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Lrfss)
Post #: 49
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/17/2011 3:31:29 AM   
Raap

Farscape starts off rather poorly; they made it too 'out there', really. However, it does work up to an acceptable level throughout the first season, and keeps relatively steady from that point. It's also 'finished', meaning the story concludes, which is always a plus. From what I recall, it gets more and more story-oriented as it progresses. By the time I had watched the final episode, I certainly wanted more. Not great by any means, but a decent time-killer.

S:Atlantis is much of the same really. At first I couldn't stand the Wraith, but it does eventually pick up. Mckay keeps it interesting, though I suppose you could just skip the standalone episodes and go with the much better storyline-episodes( usually the two-part episodes).

As for S:Universe, they pretty much ruined it by doing the whole 'character drama' angle instead of actual sci-fi stuff. What's even worse, it got canceled just as it got significantly better( shortly into season 2) and they started doing actual sci-fi stuff. Oh well.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 50
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/17/2011 3:48:28 AM   
Lrfss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raap

Farscape starts off rather poorly; they made it too 'out there', really. However, it does work up to an acceptable level throughout the first season, and keeps relatively steady from that point. It's also 'finished', meaning the story concludes, which is always a plus. From what I recall, it gets more and more story-oriented as it progresses. By the time I had watched the final episode, I certainly wanted more. Not great by any means, but a decent time-killer.

S:Atlantis is much of the same really. At first I couldn't stand the Wraith, but it does eventually pick up. Mckay keeps it interesting, though I suppose you could just skip the standalone episodes and go with the much better storyline-episodes( usually the two-part episodes).

As for S:Universe, they pretty much ruined it by doing the whole 'character drama' angle instead of actual sci-fi stuff. What's even worse, it got canceled just as it got significantly better( shortly into season 2) and they started doing actual sci-fi stuff. Oh well.

I'm rolling with finishing Farscape & SG-Atlantis. 3/4 thru 1st season FS so far and yeah it's getting better. Funny that Charcters Mitch & Vala = RL "Ben Browder & Claudia Black IIRC in very late season 8-10 SG1 were first in Farscape! In fact a zillion charcters have been recycled from all the same related shows in particular all the Star Treks...lol! They need to get some new peeps in the movie/T.V. buisness for sure already!

Oh, I forgot to mention the whole "X-File series and movies... Seen all the movies and the series up to season 9, not sure what it goes to actually?

Thanks!

(in reply to Raap)
Post #: 51
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/17/2011 6:45:52 AM   
Data

X Files, wow....I remember watching it as a kid, thinking this was truly sci fi. Still like it.
Btw, did anyone mention the classics Outer Limits and Twilight Zone?

(in reply to Lrfss)
Post #: 52
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/17/2011 8:23:12 AM   
MartialDoctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

I thought the 1984 Di Laurentis' Dune was a great film, but when asking some one who hasn't read the books, they don't get it. It had a terrible ending also that I prefer to think never happened.

Couldn't agree more. I actually didn't read the book until after seeing the movie. Sounds like the reason the movie's ending was so horrible was they ran out of funding and pretty much had to cut out all the cool Fremen culture aspects out as well as other aspects of the ending. It's actually pretty apparent if you watch for it...

I started to watch the Sci-Fi version but immediately stopped it as I really disliked the actor they picked for Paul. He whined far too much.

Surprised I haven't seen Battlestar Gallactica mentioned here (maybe I missed it). Is that too obvious as it's recent?

< Message edited by MartialDoctor -- 4/17/2011 8:24:24 AM >

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 53
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/17/2011 4:25:25 PM   
Shark7

Let's see...my list of best Sci-Fi movies:

1. Bladerunner
2. Dune (1980's version)
3. Star Wars (original Trilogy)
4. Star Trek
5. 2001: A Space Odyssey
6. The Andromeda Strain (original)
7. Soylent Green
8. The Thing (original)
9. Forbidden Planet
10. Ghost in the Shell (Movie and Anime series)
11. Firefly (Serenity was a good movie as well)
12. Stargate (Movie, Original Series and Atlantis...not a fan of Universe though)

As you can see I like quite a few of the old sci-fi movies.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to bertipa)
Post #: 54
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/17/2011 4:51:13 PM   
Lrfss

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartialDoctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

I thought the 1984 Di Laurentis' Dune was a great film, but when asking some one who hasn't read the books, they don't get it. It had a terrible ending also that I prefer to think never happened.

Couldn't agree more. I actually didn't read the book until after seeing the movie. Sounds like the reason the movie's ending was so horrible was they ran out of funding and pretty much had to cut out all the cool Fremen culture aspects out as well as other aspects of the ending. It's actually pretty apparent if you watch for it...

I started to watch the Sci-Fi version but immediately stopped it as I really disliked the actor they picked for Paul. He whined far too much.

Surprised I haven't seen Battlestar Gallactica mentioned here (maybe I missed it). Is that too obvious as it's recent?

I agree here as well. BTW someone did mention BSG, both I think. I liked BSG (original) back in those days a lot, now after seeing both series I think I like the newer version better overall. The bad part for me on the newer version was they dragged out some parts of it way too much, as if they ran out of good writing in producing it after so many seasons I guess like so many other series.

I think the original Dune would have been cool if they kept to the book and spread it out like SW movies? Prob more of a nich market though, then again SW took off like crazy so who knows

(in reply to MartialDoctor)
Post #: 55
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/17/2011 4:53:22 PM   
Lrfss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Let's see...my list of best Sci-Fi movies:

1. Bladerunner
2. Dune (1980's version)
3. Star Wars (original Trilogy)
4. Star Trek
5. 2001: A Space Odyssey
6. The Andromeda Strain (original)
7. Soylent Green
8. The Thing (original)
9. Forbidden Planet
10. Ghost in the Shell (Movie and Anime series)
11. Firefly (Serenity was a good movie as well)
12. Stargate (Movie, Original Series and Atlantis...not a fan of Universe though)

As you can see I like quite a few of the old sci-fi movies.

I rem that one as a kid in the Drive-in Theatre! Think I saw "Ice Station Zebra" around the same time frame?

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 56
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/17/2011 4:55:13 PM   
Lrfss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

X Files, wow....I remember watching it as a kid, thinking this was truly sci fi. Still like it.
Btw, did anyone mention the classics Outer Limits and Twilight Zone?

I rem both of those and the newer re-makes as well, some were really good and of course some were just nuts...

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 57
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/17/2011 5:00:13 PM   
Lrfss

I barely remember a T.V. show though I think it was a series called like U.F.O. or something like in the late 60's maybe. It might have come out in the 50's though as it was in Black & White! Anyone know what that show was called or such? I rem seeing a saucer flying around and at one point like in a old barn after crashing I think. And no it was that comedy with the Marsion

(in reply to Lrfss)
Post #: 58
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/17/2011 8:38:14 PM   
tjhkkr

For me:

SW: the Empire Strikes Back
ST: The Wrath of Khan
SW: Attack of the Clones
SW: Revenge of the Sith
SW: A New Hope
ST: The Search For Spock
ST: Generations

I think I see a theme developing here.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Lrfss)
Post #: 59
RE: SciFi Flicks? - 4/17/2011 9:27:19 PM   
Data

SW barely dominates ST, they're racing head to head

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: SciFi Flicks? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI