Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Asia map resized and number of units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Asia map resized and number of units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Asia map resized and number of units - 4/25/2011 10:47:01 AM   
Joseignacio

Hello, i am not following all the threads, I guess like more of you guys, so maybe this has been already asked and even answered. Sorry, if so.

I am pretty worried on how the resize of the Asia - Pacific maps to European size hexes will affect the game, since there are many more hexes to cover but the same number of units.

This may be specially relevant in the Japanese/Chinese border, but can affect too the Burma area in the Japanese/Commonweath conflict.

a) Will there be more possible corps to buy, altering the original pool? Probably not because anyway they wouldn't be bought because the total production will remain the same and the Japanese will probably be more focused on the Navy and islands ports, as usual, the British will also need most of their war effort for Europe along with part of the American...

b) Will we have to play on a ZOC game, since we cannot cover all the hexes? I think the game would be less interesting, basing on my experience on ZOCs attack/defenses in USSR in the past.

c) The only option, else, would be to divide corps in divisions (where possible) and play this way? I am not very happy with this either...

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 4/25/2011 11:01:33 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Asia map resized and number of units - 4/25/2011 5:14:24 PM   
arehb

I'm worried the rescale and inability to play on standard WiFFE maps, with WiFFE force pools, will make me not want to play the game at all.

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 2
RE: Asia map resized and number of units - 4/25/2011 5:50:08 PM   
lomyrin

As I am playing the standard WiFFE game in a group and also having played the CWiF computer game quite a bit and now the MWiF game as a tester all I can say about the differences in scale and presentation just makees the computer game so much easier to play. I also find the standard map halfscale China and Pacific as horribly stunting to play as compared to the unified scale of the computer game.

In my mind there is absolutely no question but that the computer makes the game at least an order of magnitude more fun and easier to play than the standard boardgame. The war in China works ever so much better too and there is no longer the world war one style stuck lines there. Then think of Manchuria and the Russian lands east of the boardgame europe map, it too makes movement and fighting a reality not seen before.

Lars

(in reply to arehb)
Post #: 3
RE: Asia map resized and number of units - 4/25/2011 6:41:30 PM   
micheljq

Check this thread, War in China by a beta tester, it's very informative and enjoyable. Hopefully that will soothe your fears.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2149608

Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

(in reply to lomyrin)
Post #: 4
RE: Asia map resized and number of units - 4/26/2011 5:02:41 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

b) Will we have to play on a ZOC game, since we cannot cover all the hexes? I think the game would be less interesting, basing on my experience on ZOCs attack/defenses in USSR in the past.

Special rules for ZOCs in Asia/Pacific is an option in WiFFE precisely because of the scale change. With the MWiF map having the same scale world-wide, the normal ZOC rules are all that are necessary.

Paul

Post #: 5
RE: Asia map resized and number of units - 4/26/2011 8:19:48 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

Check this thread, War in China by a beta tester, it's very informative and enjoyable. Hopefully that will soothe your fears.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2149608

Thanks a lot. Yes, this is what I meant. For me, it's halfway between a ZOC defense (with european ZOC) and a normal game. Not very satisfactory but I don't like either the problems WIFFE gives with supply, movement, ..., in the Asian size hexes map.

I understand this helps a lot China, who can make the japanese advance slower, with ZOC defense and many more hexes, whereas the Japanese player cannot direct a higher percentage of production to build land units with all the other fronts going on. However, this is only an impression.

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 4/26/2011 11:26:31 AM >

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 6
RE: Asia map resized and number of units - 4/26/2011 1:52:02 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

I understand this helps a lot China, who can make the japanese advance slower, with ZOC defense and many more hexes, whereas the Japanese player cannot direct a higher percentage of production to build land units with all the other fronts going on. However, this is only an impression.

Japan who cannot direct a high percentage to land units? I think it's quite normal when USA arrives in the Pacific. China should be a nightmare to take, have you see the size of this country, the number of its population, the different types of geography (jungles, deserts, mountains)?

Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

Post #: 7
RE: Asia map resized and number of units - 4/27/2011 3:23:07 AM   
brian brian

I have played a few times on a resized Asia map made by printing out screen shots of CWiF. China is a lot more fun. I don't see a lot of win-win for either side though. China doesn't have to worry about forming a solid line across the entire country, because Japan is severely limited by how many HQs they have in China. The game becomes several mini-campaigns around each HQ, and each side will need to understand classic military theory about supporting positions to do well, I think. That map doesn't have all the cities the MWiF map litters China with, and that is better I think, or else Chinese raiding units are just too dangerous if they can reach a supply/reinforcement hex. Conversely the Japanese can somewhat use air superiority in ways perfected by the US in Vietnam 30 years later, but such is how the game works.

In my last game with that map, the Japanese made a steady effort in China while also tackling Siberia & Persia in conjunction with an Axis 'all-in' Barbarossa over in Europe. The Russians collapsed and the Allies were gradually forced into keeping Russia alive, going back on the defensive once Turkey joined the war and the Middle East was lost. This kept the Pacific quiet and the Japanese really pressed China in the mid-game. The Chinese fell back slowly in all the good terrain and never lost an HQ although Mao had to be given Cheng-Tu to keep the ChiComms coming off the spiral. Despite a crushing Axis victory in the rest of the world with Japan creeping up the west coast of Africa towards Gibraltar while steadily trading body blows with the USMC between Truk and Pearl, the Chinese probably wouldn't be rooted out of the Chunking heartland until perhaps 1946. Japanese paratroopers blocking the Burma Road kept western aid away from China though, a somewhat increased vulnerability for the Chinese.

The Chinese shouldn't be able to do most of the things they do in too many WiF games and the whole China theater situation needs a dramatic re-write in the game in my opinion.

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 8
RE: Asia map resized and number of units - 4/27/2011 3:28:48 AM   
lomyrin

The extra cities in WMiF China is an option that can be used or not as players desire.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Asia map resized and number of units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI