Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Distant Worlds syst req. No start Display-resolution

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Distant Worlds syst req. No start Display-resolution Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Distant Worlds syst req. No start Display-resolution - 4/25/2011 8:50:55 AM   
thunderstruck

Hello, SOLVED

I just got this in, and by all accounts meet min sys requirements.

SYS REQ
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7
Processor : Intel Pentium IV at 1.5 GHz
Video Card : 32 MB VRAM – 32-bit video card with 1024 x 768 resolution support
Memory : 1 GB RAM
Hard Disk : 500 MB
Sound : DirectX 9.0 Compatible Sound Card
Direct X : 9.0c or later

Win XP (maybe SP 3 updated)
Pentium 4 2.80 Ghz
Nvidia Ge Force 6200
Screen is set to 1024x768
512 Mb RAM- but I reguarly use apps req 2Gb with Virtual Memory
80Gb HD

I checked the NET and DirectX boxes on install.

Now, after the intro splash I get either a green screen and my card seems to crash or I get tons of greeen and purple dots and have to crash boot the comp.

Any ideas why? I saw in 1 faq that NET framework 3.5 may be a corrupted install
but that does not seem to me why this would occur.
I do have an older outdated comp, but try to make sure I can use it prior to getting it. Canurunit has no listing but by experience I should be able to run this game,, shouldn't I?

Some help or link or thread would be greatly appreciated.

< Message edited by thunderstruck -- 4/27/2011 11:52:55 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Distant Worlds syst req. No start Display-resolution - 4/25/2011 8:58:34 AM   
Data

Welcome to the forum TS, yes you should be able to play it
This is a first, never encountered this before or saw it reported on the forum. Sounds like a resolution problem maybe. In the Windows event logs under the application and system ones do you see any relevant errors when the crash occurs?
Check also if you have multiple .NET versions installed, removing all and keeping only this one could help. But again, given the symptoms you get I tend to suspect the resolution, have you tried with different resolutions?

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to thunderstruck)
Post #: 2
RE: Distant Worlds syst req. No start Display-resolution - 4/25/2011 9:37:17 AM   
cookie monster

quote:

ORIGINAL: thunderstruck

Now, after the intro splash I get either a green screen and my card seems to crash or I get tons of greeen and purple dots and have to crash boot the comp.

Some help or link or thread would be greatly appreciated.

To play the intro videos you need windows media player. Do you have it?

You do get past ''Feeding the Giant Kaltors'' on the mini game launch screen?

Post #: 3
RE: Distant Worlds syst req. No start Display-resolution - 4/25/2011 10:53:15 AM   
greywolf1

Would like to confirm that DW (base game) runs on min specs: I play it on an IBM Thinkpad, 1.5 GHz, 1 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 7500 (32 MB), XP SP2 (or SP3?). Takes a while to load, but then everything is fine.

It would be useful if you described the full details of what you do and what you see.
Plus: Base game or expansion? Are you sure that your graphics card and drivers are ok?

Post #: 4
RE: Distant Worlds syst req. No start Display-resolution - 4/25/2011 3:51:21 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Thunderstruck,

Some good advice above. Can you also post a DxDiag for us please?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to greywolf1)
Post #: 5
RE: Distant Worlds syst req. No start Display-resolution - 4/26/2011 2:18:00 AM   
thunderstruck

wow surprised I got so many replies, thnx

@ Data

yes, there appears to be 3 application errors in the events viewer at times of launching.
Looking into the NET framework. it appears 2.0 sp2 and 3.0 sp2 are installed
and the 3.5 is sp1...??  >> will see if I can update this or find right service pack.
--and I also think it to be a resolution thing but am not sure.The Nvidia 6200 I got
is/should be updated. Recently had to reinstall WinXP OS and had all updated.

I thought of reducing resolution and try.>> will try it also asa I can.

@cookie monster, yes I got WMP,VLC,QT and all codecs for anything.  (it did prompt me for ffdshow codec
which I have never had a game ask for before.) Intro and loading all ran. though choppy at first

@greywolf

Base game  v1.01    yes mine too takes a while to load.

But tbh, am unsure what exactly my SP is thanks to screwy updates and Dell tech support actually
making a corrupted OS a while back ( took it to a PC tech eventually- waysted $120.00) and no repair or refusal to fix- even though I reported it within 24 hours. nevah again Dell Tech support.

@ Erik.

Unsure of making a DxDiag, not done this is many a yarhen lol

Basically, I launch game, it loads up, I get the matrix games intro, then it seems to lock up on next load up.

Am not well versed with cpu's. but am guessing it is resolution or gfx card myself, but it should not be.

Will try the NET framework and resetting resolution down, cant support any larger than 1028X768.

FYI, this seems to be in the realm of Master of Orion to wit played the orig,Battle of Antares and Moo3
(still have all 3 orig disks-along with a wall full of DOS games :D)  be nice to get into it

if not I will try a reinstall.
thnx

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 6
RE: Distant Worlds syst req. No start Display-resolution - 4/26/2011 5:13:23 AM   
thunderstruck

okay, it is working now.

Have no idea why, I changed the screen resolution and it failed, prompting me to change it to 1028X768
so I changed it back and it worked....??

only thing is am unsure if music is working properly and also, it will not right scroll except using the pointer key...??

all else seems to be okay... go figure... I know I have to change resolution to use Moo3...

Post #: 7
RE: Distant Worlds syst req. No start Display-resolution - 4/26/2011 5:25:10 AM   
Data

Nice to hear you at least can get into it, let's see now how often will you change to MOO3
Btw, I would change to MOO2; and that doesn't even need a resolution change....."only" dosbox

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

Post #: 8
RE: Distant Worlds syst req. No start Display-resolution - 4/26/2011 6:45:46 PM   
greywolf1

Congratulations - and have fun with DW!
You may wish to install the latest version, 1.0.6.0 if I remember correctly.

OT: Are you using MOO3 Chocolate? This is a great mod, which makes MOO3 perfectly playable, and you shouldn't have to change the resolution.

Post #: 9
RE: Distant Worlds syst req. No start Display-resolution - 4/27/2011 1:56:51 AM   
thunderstruck

Moo fans here Moo fans here   

oh I loved Moo2 and never had to change anything for it. What brought me here and to this game.

Been searching for games that are as good as the old classic greats, cannot seem to find any that are comparable.

Examples,Xcom UFO Defense... tried 2 after makes and they fail.
           another  is UFO Alien Invasion which Looks Awesome and is nearest to xcom but is in dev
and has some play flaws  fps for 1, Cmbt maps but is still eye candy- I just gotten it though.
             Moo3 was good (considering what else I have seen/used- but fell short of expectations)

--Moo3 needs video display changed, and got no idea why I have to change.
Am using Tropic ( which I beleive includes the vanilla,strawberry ones., heard of chocolate mod but even with the found threads have not found it...Download

So far am finding Distant worlds a lil intimidating , Like with Universal Combat- which ultimately was a waste of time learning.Am also looking at Sins of a solar empire, which has some very good reviews.

Have not been into any games in a long time, am trying to catch up,finding good playable,engrossing,challenging
games like way back when ,,,when games were made, not just sold  lol

Regards,

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa474/Thunderstruck2012/Animated%20Siggies/Viper-Sig.gif
Cinema4d,After Effects user- CGI,Video,Animation

-- Ever get the feeling from a movie trailer, you cant wait to see it
--that is what it does to me--

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa474/Thunderstruck2012/Animated%20Siggies/Viper-Sig.gif

(in reply to greywolf1)
Post #: 10
RE: Distant Worlds syst req. No start Display-resolution - 4/27/2011 6:21:27 AM   
Data

Could not agree with you more on all you've said.
Btw, I'm also struggling now with UC. You know of any good tutorial for it? If not, I'm ready to abandon it.

Post #: 11
RE: Distant Worlds syst req. No start Display-resolution - 4/27/2011 8:29:54 PM   
thunderstruck

@Data

No, Do not know of any. UC was a game I really hoped I could play and did, Great Graphics,Models,Universe.

Only thing was I could not figure out surface things,
among many other aspects, or they were incomplete aspects of game.

Could not determine any purpose, would go on and on with just 1
system, captured a few bases(space stations) and gained nothing from it. I finally gave up on it. It really seemed to lack any strategy
values at all, since you cannot use captured starbase, or even board other ships (but they can board you)

THought of trying some of its predecessors, I think it was battle cruiser series but have not.

I was hyped on it when I first got it in, but in the end scrapped.
Definitely a game that is worthy of being completed or at least
mimicked if the gameplay was actually present and you could do use all of the aspects and places in it. IT is an immense universe, but it seems all you can really do is fly around and shoot, all the planets, all the bases on the planets, using,landing, fighters fighting, seems to be actually useless.

I realize what it takes to make things, from films,to 3d, Games and all that goes into them, This had all the right motives and concepts, models ideas etc but no real game-strategy,abilities
unless of course I lacked the know how, but I spent a couple years trying to figure this one out and finally gave up.
(Not to mention- you can spend years in it with the time settings
and not go anywhere LOL)

Regards

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 12
RE: Distant Worlds syst req. No start Display-resolution - 4/27/2011 10:03:55 PM   
Data

thx, you saved me from a lot of trouble
merker provided some good info on this here -> http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2778863&mpage=2&key=
he also mailed me some of his saves so if you want he or I can mail them to you as well.....but the part with " but I spent a couple years trying to figure this one out and finally gave up" scares me.....at my age two years it's a lifetime and being able to quickly learn a game is a must

I remember back in the day when I had problems learning MOO2 and now it's so natural to me. I can spend time if the game is really promising but lack of purpose is another big no no
enough ranting for now, thx again

Post #: 13
RE: Distant Worlds syst req. No start Display-resolution - 4/27/2011 11:51:04 PM   
thunderstruck

not a problem. but still have disk somewhere's among the wall full of them, I think it does have one patch whicch I think I tried.

I had a hard time learning this one (UC), and tbh is no help I can find if there is ways to actually use all the features aspects of
this really incredible game...it is incredible in its scope and
what tasks you can perform, like free floting in space. in air,
surface walking etc. but found no purposes for these other than just doing it and sight seeing as it seemed no way to do anything.

manual if I recall was of no use here. I spent a long time on it because I really wanted to play this.Tried restarting a few times and gave up each time. is a shame that all that great work
and effort of the game makers did not pan out.

btw, you had trouble with Moo2? that is a plug n Play to me.
Dive right in to it.was a good game, but (teaser spoiler)
did not have a lot of replay value once you learn the research
tree sequence, could be a challenge too +

weird how threads can turn topics lol

should add SOLVED to the first post

< Message edited by thunderstruck -- 4/27/2011 11:52:35 PM >

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 14
RE: Distant Worlds syst req. No start Display-resolution - 4/28/2011 5:50:03 AM   
Data

indeed, but this is the fun of it, threads turning out new topics I mean
I only had problems with MOO2 because I was a kid back then and this was one of my first games. Now I have to use Corion to make it harder....ahh, the times. We'd better stop now before I get again the urge to make gaias everywhere and hunt me some sakkra for max pop.

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Distant Worlds syst req. No start Display-resolution Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI