Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

troops with rafts

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> troops with rafts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
troops with rafts - 9/30/2002 12:03:03 PM   
David boutwell

Gentlemen,

Could someone please tell me how to create units that have assault rafts? Wild Bill's "Amphibious Airborne" scenario has them, but I can't find where they come from.

Thanks in advance,

David Boutwell
Post #: 1
- 9/30/2002 12:16:39 PM   
Redleg

If there is a wide river anywhere on the map - even if only a single hex long, the troops will be equipped with rubber rafts.

So even though I always make wide rivers and oceans from deep water hexes, I must add a very short wide river somewhere on the map. Then I overprint the short "river" with deep water or some other type terrain.

This provides SPWAW with a clue that rubber rafts are needed.

In addition, IIRC, there are some other rubber rafts that can be either purchased in Norway, 1949 or exchanged. These would be applicable when just a few small units need rubber rafts.

Hope this helps.

(in reply to David boutwell)
Post #: 2
Some tricks out of the box - 10/1/2002 10:45:02 PM   
RockinHarry

Redleg covered it all. :cool:

If you would like to see a unique way how rafts could be used in a non-river assault scenario, check my Ardennes44 scenario! (..the replacement units!) It also shows how a SPWAW bug can be exploited to use units in different ways.

Short description: There is a bug that makes absorbing rafts in non-river assault scenarios into units adapting to the crew of the raft! Means if the 2 crew raft is absorbed into a 10 men rifle squad, then the rifle squads "crew" drops to 2 men as well! :eek:
This also goes the other way off course!
Have a depleted infantry squad that is close to beeing dispersed if taking additional losses and combine it with a 10 crew raft, then what happens? The squad absorbs the raft and the size of the crew and it shows with 10 men after! :D :eek:

Well..in order to get raft units into a scenario seperately you need to do it as Redleg mentioned: Make scenario december 1949 and buy (or change with "R" key") them normally. You could then either make them mobile by giving them some land movement points or load them onto another unit!
Ok..how to load an onloadable (load cost = 255) unit?? :D

Take a truck and load it with as many previously bought snipers as possible. Then access each sniper while loaded with "N" key ( ALL STEPS ARE TO BE MADE IN SCENARIO EDITOR!) and change it with "R" key method to an assault raft! With this method you could even make a horse wagon carry a King Tiger! :D :D :D

have fun

________
Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

Post #: 3
- 10/1/2002 11:53:10 PM   
Redleg

Yes, there are many things that can be done in the editor if one is curious and persistant!

My latest "innovation" is a platoon of dead and destroyed infantry that is discovered by their comrades along the Volkhov River in Winter, 1941.

Post #: 4
- 10/11/2002 6:52:41 AM   
David boutwell

I have decided to use barges. I'll tell you why. The assault craft that the 3/504 PIR used were canvas British assault craft from the Guards Armoured Division Engineer Field Park. They were definitely not transportable by a squad (They are shown very well in "A Bridge Too Far"). Rather, they were transported by truck. So, I think the barge carrier/barge situation better models the historic situation. Granted, the boats were assembled, carried over the dike and launched by the paratroopers, while barges have to be launched by the carriers. The barges are motorized, and the canvas craft were not. On the other hand, there were only about twenty-six boats available.

It is my observation from Bill Wilder's version of this scenario that there are as many rafts available as there are squads, which doesn't really model reality. By the time the first wave of paratroopers had been deposited on the east shore of the Waal River, there were only about half of the boats available for the next wave to be ferried over.

I think that the barges model history better, so that's what I'm going to use.

Regards,

David Boutwell

Post #: 5
- 10/11/2002 8:12:14 AM   
Redleg

Another benefit - an entire squad cannot be zapped by one single sniper shot.

Good choice, I think.

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> troops with rafts Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI