Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Yee gads -- night bombing!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Yee gads -- night bombing! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Yee gads -- night bombing! - 5/3/2011 4:21:29 PM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffs
Clearly one huge problem with the game is the ridiculous hit rate bettys have with torpedoes.

Yes, they were good..But they were not automatic death to virtually every ship in range.

Only with your experienced pilots. those +70/70 guys. Once you start to lose those, your hit percentage really drops, at least that is my experience.

Also, I think most IJ players are more careful with their Netties then the IJ was IRL (one of the few areas), and so they can have these really good pilots still in play in late '42. But there always comes a time when you have a shot at the US CV's, and you have to take it, even knowing your Nettie losses will be high.

Exactly.

The Japanese players preserve their experten Betty pilots as long as possible. So when you first notice that a LBA airdropped torp hurts as bad as if it was launched by a Kate,
its those 80+ EXP drivers hitting home.

In real life they were wasted in every role you could think of and shot down in droves. Before the time of the allied invasion of Guadalcanal Saburo Sakai already told an anekdote about the honor of the bomber drivers
who went into battle, well aware they had only days to live.

These small differences in the capabilities and use of certain units should always be taken into account before critizising the values used in the game engine.

< Message edited by LoBaron -- 5/3/2011 4:22:29 PM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 31
RE: Yee gads -- night bombing! - 5/3/2011 4:32:42 PM   
Yakface

quote:

ORIGINAL: rader

Part of the problem is that aicraft don't scramble unless set to night operations. If there are incomming bombers, even fighters set to day CAP should at least try to scramble some of the time.

I also find it hard to believe that you could reasonably count on finding and hitting a target like an airfield accurately at night. City bombing, ok. But airfields... not really. Were there instances of this happening (with success) during the war? I remember a few instances where there were such attempts, but they were pretty small and innefective if I remember correctly.

Even if thery were to scramble, your fighters aren't going to help against 4E's at night. I've done a lot of in-game testing (unfortunately).

Numerous tries at intercepting (backed with Radar, best squadrons etc - no dedicated night fighters yet) and each time it goes like this:

Fighters hardly ever shoot at the bombers - bombers just as effective at night spotting and targeting fighters as they are during the day. Last time result was 13 fighters shot from the air, base bombed, planes destroyed on ground.......for a total of two damaged bombers neither of which turned into ops losses.

Night bombing routine completely borked

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 32
RE: Yee gads -- night bombing! - 5/3/2011 6:15:47 PM   
treespider

Granted its quite early in my game with witpqs but I find that a handful of fighters set to night Cap coupled with a moderate AA presence does "wonders" versus a raid of 20 some-odd B-17E's.

I say "wonders" because if I have no defense he would inflict some damage...whereas with a defense the damage is relatively minimal. So in my estimation an AA defense coupled with fighters does indeed affect accuracy of night bombing raids....and on occasion I've damage/destroyed some B-17's.

Fort Levels also seem play an important role as well, in regards to the amount of damage received and damage dished out by Flak.

Later in the war against large raids I'm not sure any defense will matter....but then again it doesn't seem that IRL the Japanese had a defense against large raids either....witness the obliteration of Hollandia on 30 March 1944.

< Message edited by treespider -- 5/3/2011 6:17:04 PM >

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Yakface)
Post #: 33
RE: Yee gads -- night bombing! - 5/3/2011 6:35:56 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

Granted its quite early in my game with witpqs but I find that a handful of fighters set to night Cap coupled with a moderate AA presence does "wonders" versus a raid of 20 some-odd B-17E's.

I say "wonders" because if I have no defense he would inflict some damage...whereas with a defense the damage is relatively minimal. So in my estimation an AA defense coupled with fighters does indeed affect accuracy of night bombing raids....and on occasion I've damage/destroyed some B-17's.

Fort Levels also seem play an important role as well, in regards to the amount of damage received and damage dished out by Flak.

Later in the war against large raids I'm not sure any defense will matter....but then again it doesn't seem that IRL the Japanese had a defense against large raids either....witness the obliteration of Hollandia on 30 March 1944.

I'm only upto late 42 but any sort of fighter defense makes a difference even if its totally anemic in delivering damage to the incoming bombers. and thats vs allied raids of 50+ mixed a/c. Ops losses on night ops are seemingly higher too.

In a nutshell , anything on night defence can and most often will, make a differance in bomber accuracy even if none are shot down. Night AAA is utter rubbish however.

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 34
RE: Yee gads -- night bombing! - 5/3/2011 7:42:18 PM   
witpqs

Treespider and Rob are spot on. I also have a PBM with cap_and_gown in early '44 that has borne all that out over the long term.

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 35
RE: Yee gads -- night bombing! - 5/4/2011 12:15:36 PM   
Mike Dixon

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffs

But did flak/cap chew into the bettys?

Clearly one huge problem with the game is the ridiculous hit rate bettys have with torpedoes.

Yes, they were good..But they were not automatic death to virtually every ship in range.

No CAP then (I'm sure there is now) and only one or two destroyed by flak. Not sure what you mean by ridiculous hit rate with torpedoes - mine always fail me leaving force Z intact etc.....

(in reply to jeffs)
Post #: 36
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Yee gads -- night bombing! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI