Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about airpower

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Question about airpower Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about airpower - 4/27/2011 12:18:13 AM   
lupine91602

Ok, first off, I love this game! One of the things I enjoy the most is how you get to exercise different portions of your thought processes depending on which nations chair you take over.

I have a couple of questions which I have hunted for answers to in this forum, without success. If I have missed them, I appologize for the redundancy.

1). With regards to researching air power. What is the difference/and or advantage - of researching either surface ship attack or torpedo attack, and does it make more sense to research based on the unit (i.e. research torpedo attack for carrier group and surface fleet attack for HB or TB? Is one style more effective against carriers or heavy fleets?

2). When conducting an attack on either airfields or ground units, is a TB with the same ground attack rating more effective then a HB with equal rating? Historically speaking, it would make sense that a TB in direct support of an attack can better pick its targets but would be more vulnerable to ground fire, where as a HB carries more destructive power and is less vulnerable to ground fire but is less accurate in pinpointing units.

Sincerely,

-Michael
Post #: 1
RE: Question about airpower - 4/27/2011 10:04:18 PM   
rjh1971

For your first question I always research torpedos opposed to surface attack, iirc the BB armor is not taken into account when attacked by torpedoes, so you have better chances to score a hit with torpedoes than with bombs.

As for the 2nd question I think there are modifiers in Global Glory and AWD Deluxe scenarios, you should check their documentation and also the manual for combat modifiers.

Hope it helps, also I'm speaking by memory haven't read the manual in a long time.

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to lupine91602)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about airpower - 4/28/2011 9:39:23 PM   
lupine91602

Thanks so much for taking the time to post.

I usually play Global Glory, so I'll check out the combat mods.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about airpower - 5/8/2011 3:33:18 PM   
SGT Rice

1) I agree with Rafael that torpedoes are a better purchase. Usually the only case where this research makes sense is for the Japanese and WA CAGs to make them more effective against each others BBs.

With that said, an enterprising German player making provisions for commerce raiding might consider investing in surface attack along with extra speed (i.e., range) for one of his aircraft types ... if the intended targets are transports then torpedoes don't really help.

2) Page 82, Section 8.7.1 of the manual spells out the dice roll modifiers for aircraft attacking ground targets; in the particular case you cite, there's no differentiation between HBs and TBs.

GG A World Divided Playtester

(in reply to lupine91602)
Post #: 4
RE: Question about airpower - 5/10/2011 4:00:27 AM   
lupine91602

Thank you SGT Rice!  I didn't realize surface attack was more effective against transports.  It sounds like a good call for one of Germany's aircraft.  If I succeed in invading or weakening the UK, I like to try and sweep combat ships in the Med. to slow down the attack on Italy.

(in reply to SGT Rice)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Question about airpower Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI