Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Counter battery fire

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Counter battery fire Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Counter battery fire - 12/26/2000 10:18:00 PM   
Mark McIntosh

Wasn't there counter battery fire between off-board artillery units. My 150's never engage in any.

Post #: 1
- 12/26/2000 10:27:00 PM   
Gurney Halleck

Morning Mark, I see counter battery fire all to often and it seems like Im always on the losing end *sigh*

"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous is never get involved in a land war in asia"

(in reply to Mark McIntosh)
Post #: 2
- 12/26/2000 11:21:00 PM   
Daniel Oskar

I sure seem to take my share of counterbattery, but I never see my batteries dish it out.

Post #: 3
- 12/26/2000 11:30:00 PM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by Daniel Oskar: I sure seem to take my share of counterbattery, but I never see my batteries dish it out.
In order for your guns to be availible for counterbattery fire, they can not have a mission plotted. You must leave them unassigned. Then of course you don't get the use of them and if the enemy does not fire, saving them for counterbattery fire was a waste of assets. ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

Never take counsel of your fears.

Post #: 4
- 12/27/2000 1:00:00 AM   
BlitzSS

It sure would be nice if counter battery info/activity would be displayed in an activity log, rather then just not having batterys able to be assigned.

"Nuts"

Post #: 5
- 12/27/2000 4:22:00 AM   
Charles22

This is one aspect of the game that I've never got a handle on. How in the world do you know the gun has counterbatteried or been countered, as opposed to just being out of communication? Does looking at the unit show it to have lost men, or that it's heavily suppressed? If you leave 81mm mortars, or any on-board artillery with long range, on standby, do they counterbattery? Do units while counterbatterying use tangible ammo (if so this would be one way of detecting it was counterbatterying)?

Post #: 6
- 12/27/2000 4:30:00 AM   
Arralen

1) On-board arty does not counterfire. 2) There is (at least sometimes) a normal "popup message" that says "xy has ..etc.etc", you can find the message among the arty messages ("150mm How Bat fires") if you have overlooked the on-screen message (use f5 key). I remember seeing the on-screen message with v4.4 and the logged message with v4.5 (Heros of the motherland, opening bombardment before turn 1 .. the german 105mm blasted away on my 120mm mortars ..) So - pay attention, and you'll notice what you asked for - it's already there Arralen

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

Post #: 7
- 12/27/2000 5:16:00 AM   
Billy Yank

If you put your cursor over the greyed-out fire mission button in the artillery screen, you'll see "Unit can't fire if retreating...". Click on the info button, and you can see how much damage they took. ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Billy Yank
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Post #: 8
- 12/27/2000 5:29:00 AM   
Charles22

Thanks

Post #: 9
- 12/27/2000 1:09:00 PM   
Flashfyre

Since you can't "assign" CBfire, the only way to know if it happened is if the message window appears, after all firing is done, telling you it happened. Usually, I'm getting countered, cuz I tend to fire my wad every time, instead of saving some. Would be nice to assign a unit to this mission, at least to have a message in the status button area that says "This battery assigned to counter-fire". As to the unpredictability, must be because the OB batteries are under a "higher" command/control than the field units. Division says when and if counter-fire is done, not us lowly regimental commanders. ------------------ The Motor Pool http://www.geocities.com/aurion_eq/index.html?976419304550 [email]kmcferren@cvn.net[/email]

The Motor Pool http://www.geocities.com/aurion_eq/index.html?976419304550 [email]kmcferren@onemain.com[/email]

Post #: 10
- 12/27/2000 1:20:00 PM   
Captn_Jack

You can also check the status of a section of guns by going to the bombard screen and clicking on the little "eye" icon that appears before the HE assign button. If the gun was fired on, it may say, Retreating, also you will see a number in the Damage section...maybe a 1 or a 2. You can tell if the gun is "out of contact" here also. Some guns that are hit could lose their ammo, or you may see less guns in a section if one was destroyed. There will be a blank slot if this has happened. CJ

M(1)&M(9)'s...they melt in your tank...not in your hand!

Post #: 11
- 12/27/2000 2:24:00 PM   
AmmoSgt

Ok, what I have seen on counterbattery fire is at the bottom of the screen where it says 155mm indirect fire spotter has no LOS ect. ... It also reports giving and recieving counterbattery fire .. I have only seen OffBoard units give or recieve counterbattery fire .... I have seen Batteries with Tasked Fires also counterbattery fire (i thought it strange at the time) .... I remember reading somewhere?? rule book maybe??? that in order to counterbattery fire the Firing Battery must have longer range than the recieving Battery

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Counter battery fire Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI