Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dive Bomb Penetration.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Dive Bomb Penetration. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dive Bomb Penetration. - 2/19/2011 11:07:24 AM   
turkey

Does anyone know if setting DBs to 15,000ft will improve the penetration of the Japanese 250kg AP bombs? (Currently bouncing off US Carriers from 10Kft.) My thought is that if they start their dive from a greater altitude, the plane will have more speed at the point of release, so the bomb will have more momentum and therefore better penetration.

Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more.
George S. Patton
Post #: 1
RE: Dive Bomb Penetration. - 2/19/2011 1:47:49 PM   
Misconduct

Far as I remember, you need a larger bomb, ALT doesn't play a difference. When dive bombers go into a dive they use Speed Brakes, which slows the aircraft down otherwise it will go into terminal velocity and unable to pull out of a dive, so speed of the dive has nothing to do with it, also Americans used wooden flight decks, only the British carriers were built with metal.

I generally have all DB's dive from 15-17k, there is a reason for this, 10k the bombers arn't dive bombing but something else, perhaps glide bombing.

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7

(in reply to turkey)
Post #: 2
RE: Dive Bomb Penetration. - 5/13/2011 9:40:09 PM   
SirStoffel

If you are using Kate for Port attack they will use 800kg bombs. But not if they are attacking naval targets. I think the hit factor is much better with good experience and moral.
Chris

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 3
RE: Dive Bomb Penetration. - 5/13/2011 11:36:16 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Misconduct

Far as I remember, you need a larger bomb, ALT doesn't play a difference. When dive bombers go into a dive they use Speed Brakes, which slows the aircraft down otherwise it will go into terminal velocity and unable to pull out of a dive, so speed of the dive has nothing to do with it, also Americans used wooden flight decks, only the British carriers were built with metal.

I generally have all DB's dive from 15-17k, there is a reason for this, 10k the bombers arn't dive bombing but something else, perhaps glide bombing.

i think you are thinking of AE... i routinely can get my guys divebombing from 6K, iirc.

About the only reason to have DB's come in from up high: they tend to attack in larger groups. I.e. - if you have 18 SBDs coming in at 18K, they might all attack the same target, while if they are coming in at 6K, you might have attacking 6 different targets (or somesuch).

There is also some difference in ability to detect targets: at 18K you can see much more IF THERE ARE NO CLOUDS... if there are clouds, you can sometimes find targets easier from lower altitude... it all depends on the die rolls.

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 4
RE: Dive Bomb Penetration. - 5/13/2011 11:37:06 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirStoffel

If you are using Kate for Port attack they will use 800kg bombs. But not if they are attacking naval targets. I think the hit factor is much better with good experience and moral.
Chris

Except Kates are torpedo bombers, not divebombers.

(in reply to SirStoffel)
Post #: 5
RE: Dive Bomb Penetration. - 5/13/2011 11:38:01 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: turkey

Does anyone know if setting DBs to 15,000ft will improve the penetration of the Japanese 250kg AP bombs? (Currently bouncing off US Carriers from 10Kft.) My thought is that if they start their dive from a greater altitude, the plane will have more speed at the point of release, so the bomb will have more momentum and therefore better penetration.

No difference in game.

(in reply to turkey)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Dive Bomb Penetration. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI