Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Map Maker question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Map Maker question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Map Maker question - 5/14/2011 12:27:35 AM   
HintJ

I broke down and bought the game before I finished the demo. I just couldn't help it, I had to get the mapmaker!

But I'm wondering what the max resolution is for the elevation .bmp file? It seems that whenever I import an elevation .bmp file, the mapmaker instantly resizes it to what appears to be a 64x64 greyscale.

My intention is to have a 750 meter map, so what is the max resolution that I can use for the height data?

Also, I love the Google Earth option, but is there a way to keep MM from initially loading a Google Earth view?

"Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do."
- Savielly Tartakower
Post #: 1
RE: Map Maker question - 5/14/2011 1:33:35 AM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: HintJ

I broke down and bought the game before I finished the demo. I just couldn't help it, I had to get the mapmaker!

But I'm wondering what the max resolution is for the elevation .bmp file? It seems that whenever I import an elevation .bmp file, the mapmaker instantly resizes it to what appears to be a 64x64 greyscale.

My intention is to have a 750 meter map, so what is the max resolution that I can use for the height data?

Also, I love the Google Earth option, but is there a way to keep MM from initially loading a Google Earth view?

There is a hirez switch that can be used with MM. You need to start the hta application (PzCMAm.hta) using the switch ' /hirez '. I think that uses a 128 x 128 greyscale.

If you look in the Game root directory you might also see a shortcut that says Hi Rez PzCMam. hta. DO NOT USE THAT. We will need to replace it with the correct shortcut in the first patch.

I haven't actually used the Hi Rez version, perhaps one of the other Map Makers have.

I don't know any way to start MM without loading the Google Earth view.

Thanks
Rick

(in reply to HintJ)
Post #: 2
RE: Map Maker question - 5/14/2011 2:23:59 AM   
HintJ

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rick

There is a hirez switch that can be used with MM. You need to start the hta application (PzCMAm.hta) using the switch ' /hirez '.

That is done how? Please pardon my ignorance; I'm a quick learner, but computers are only a part-time hobby for me. I suspect "switch" means something I must add to a .exe command line?

"Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do."
- Savielly Tartakower

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 3
RE: Map Maker question - 5/14/2011 5:52:38 AM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: HintJ

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rick

There is a hirez switch that can be used with MM. You need to start the hta application (PzCMAm.hta) using the switch ' /hirez '.

That is done how? Please pardon my ignorance; I'm a quick learner, but computers are only a part-time hobby for me. I suspect "switch" means something I must add to a .exe command line?

Hint,

I've uploaded a short cut file to the Mods section that starts MM in Hi Res mode. It's just a shortcut with the Hi Res switch set. This doesn't change the way Map maker works if you call MM from the main menu.

Thanks
rick

(in reply to HintJ)
Post #: 4
RE: Map Maker question - 5/14/2011 7:13:01 AM   
HintJ

Thanks

- Savielly Tartakower

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 5
RE: Map Maker question - 5/14/2011 9:42:59 PM   
HintJ

I replaced the file, but it looks like MM is still forcing 64x64. When the .bmp first loads I can see it at 129x129, but then it quickly changes.

Should I be making the .bmp 128x128 instead of 129x129?

Attachment (1)

- Savielly Tartakower

(in reply to HintJ)
Post #: 6
RE: Map Maker question - 5/14/2011 10:11:28 PM   
Stridor

The HiRes switch doesn't work. The functionality was removed when multiple map sizes where added. Basically the MM was then designed so that each size map (500,750,1000,2000) had the same or near to the same ground "mesh" resolution (read height map).

1. You should run the editors in IE9 as that supports GFX acceleration on your card and makes map making and map editing much faster than IE8 or below. This is true of all the editors, much better experience with IE9.

2. I could pretty easily add to MM (within a day or 2) the ability to work with whatever mesh res you wanted in any size map you liked (up to some obvious maximum probably 257x257). Keep in mind that the higher res the ground mesh the more GFX intensive it will be. However considering grass and hipoly tank models this is less of a concern as it was when the MM project was started. The problem is that I don't actually have a copy of the game to test against or the source code in my possession any more so sorry, I can’t help you

S.

(in reply to HintJ)
Post #: 7
RE: Map Maker question - 5/14/2011 11:09:01 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi HintJ,

The new maps we have in the game were created with the 64x64 and that works fine in our experience with the other Map Maker functions and creates smooth elevation maps. The map designers on our team can speak to that in more detail than I can.

Stridor is the expert on the design and capabilities of the Map Maker as he created it, but unfortunately as he notes above he is no longer with the team. We do have a new developer and if we or the community feel there is a need to increase the elevation map resolution and that it would not cause performance issues, we can do that in the future.

See how the 64x64 works for you - given the maps that have been created with it, I expect it will meet your needs.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Stridor)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Map Maker question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI