Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Books about the War in the Pacific?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Books about the War in the Pacific? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/14/2011 10:15:00 AM   
Macca

Hi,

I was thinking whether some of you Pacific Theatre buffs here could recommend some English language books on the subject. Currently I'm reading Ronald Spector's Eagle Against the Sun, but would also like some more detailed ones.

Would appreciate any suggestions,

cheers

Macca

Post #: 1
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/14/2011 11:03:29 AM   
warspite1

Two excellent books I have read are:

Shattered Sword (Parshall + Tully) Potomac Books

The Forgotten Fleet (Winton) DB Books

The first is about the Battle of Midway seen from the Japanese perspective, while the second is about the British Pacific Fleet's contribution to the war against Japan. Both written in very readable styles and highly recommended.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Macca)
Post #: 2
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/14/2011 11:43:47 AM   
ilovestrategy

Shattered Sword. I loved it so much I read it twice back to back.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/14/2011 1:32:48 PM   
Fishbed

Beautiful Avatar Macca, you're a person of taste when it comes to classic games

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 4
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/14/2011 5:54:07 PM   
Shellshock

John Toland's The Rising Sun, although it skips around a lot and it's getting a little long in the tooth.

I sometimes wish there was an extensive trilogy comparable to Shelby Foote's The Civil War.

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 5
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/14/2011 6:02:24 PM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shellshock

John Toland's The Rising Sun, although it skips around a lot and it's getting a little long in the tooth.

I love that book. Great read.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 6
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/14/2011 6:02:26 PM   
Talon_XBMCX

Shattered Sword is an excellent book. I also enjoyed Eric Hammel's Carrier Strike and Bergerud's Fire in the Sky

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 7
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/14/2011 6:16:22 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macca

Hi,

I was thinking whether some of you Pacific Theatre buffs here could recommend some English language books on the subject. Currently I'm reading Ronald Spector's Eagle Against the Sun, but would also like some more detailed ones.

Would appreciate any suggestions,

cheers

Macca

Hi , I just recieved the book today in the mail, how are you liking it?

I'd recommend Fire in the Sky , there are some here that don't share my enthusiasm for Bergerud's writing style but I thought both Fire in the Sky and Touched with Fire was fantastic and am eagerly anticipating Oil on the Water this September.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 5/14/2011 6:21:33 PM >

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to Macca)
Post #: 8
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/14/2011 9:21:49 PM   
Macca

Hi and thanks for all the replies:)

I'm not far into the Eagle against the Sun, currently I'm reading the first Chapter about the state of the American armed forces prior to the attack on Pearl. So far I'm loving the book, the style is very accessible, it simply sucked me into it.

Though I am Polish I've always been interested in the Pacific Theatre. There haven't been many books on that topic translated into Polish so I'd like to look for some English language books...

and yes, Silent Service was a great series...Wish I still had my Amiga 500 and that lovely box.... maybe it is time to play somme SH4 or WITPAE;;)

cheers!!

Maciej

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 9
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/14/2011 11:52:29 PM   
Schorsch

Just google H. P. Willmot. He wrote several Books about WWII and esecially the Pacific Theatre

(in reply to Macca)
Post #: 10
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/15/2011 1:49:24 AM   
dorjun driver

You also might want to explore John B. Lundstrom's body of work.  While his focus is mostly on carrier fighter divisions, he offers some Big Picture insights as well.

And if you're cheap, like me, most of his stuff is available for free via your local inter-library loan system.  For free.  Or did I mention that already?

(in reply to Schorsch)
Post #: 11
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/15/2011 2:11:41 AM   
Pascal_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: dorjun driver

You also might want to explore John B. Lundstrom's body of work.  While his focus is mostly on carrier fighter divisions, he offers some Big Picture insights as well.

And if you're cheap, like me, most of his stuff is available for free via your local inter-library loan system.  For free.  Or did I mention that already?

He's in Poland. Does he have interlibrary loan with Britain or the US?

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

(in reply to dorjun driver)
Post #: 12
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/15/2011 3:46:42 AM   
dorjun driver

I would bloody well hope so. I received "The Influence of Sea Power Upon History: 1660-1805" from a library in Ireland through my podunk ILL system. The "copy" I got was published in 1890.

Even so, would the unavailability through a library disqualify Lundstrom?

(in reply to Pascal_slith)
Post #: 13
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/15/2011 5:31:23 AM   
Macca

Im afraid we don't have such agreement with either British or American libraries. Thanks for the authors' names, gonna look for some of these books;)

Post #: 14
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/15/2011 6:29:58 AM   
Fallschirmjager

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_United_States_Naval_Operations_in_World_War_II

I got it for Christmas almost 10 years ago. It is hard to come by now in complete form but is completely worth it.

The 15th and final book is also excellent because it contains an index that lists dozens upon dozens of other works that you can then branch out from and reference.

< Message edited by Fallschirmjager -- 5/15/2011 6:34:08 AM >

(in reply to Macca)
Post #: 15
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/15/2011 8:55:10 AM   
sprior

You might want to try these too:

Fire in the Sky

Touched with Fire

Nemesis

The Longest War

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 16
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/15/2011 4:16:21 PM   
Big B

This excellent series is actually available through Amazon.com.
History of United States Naval Operations in World War II 15 Volume Set [Hardcover]

In the internet(s) age, hard to find books and videos can usually be obtained through online shopping....

Hope it helps,
B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_United_States_Naval_Operations_in_World_War_II

I got it for Christmas almost 10 years ago. It is hard to come by now in complete form but is completely worth it.

The 15th and final book is also excellent because it contains an index that lists dozens upon dozens of other works that you can then branch out from and reference.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 17
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/15/2011 5:03:17 PM   
Don Bowen

If you don't mind paperback you can get them a little cheaper. Hope this link works...

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?ATH=Samuel+Eliot+Morison&SRT=R&STORE=book&SZE=10&AREF=1534&REFGRP=3

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 18
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/15/2011 5:26:41 PM   
nashvillen

Morison's 15 volume set has just been reprinted this year by the Naval Institute Press, and, like FJ, BigB, and DonB have said, is available from your favorite book source. I am sure you local brick and morter store could order them for you.

I had been looking for this set for years and am finally being able to get the full set in matching covers.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 19
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/15/2011 5:54:15 PM   
Heeward

Check out the Naval Institute Press Web:
http://www.usni.org/navalinstitutepress

Consider joining the military book club or just looking at their web site.

All the books listed at both sites should be available through Amazon.Com

By the way currently reading
Clear the Bridge the War Patrols of the USS Tang by Richard O'Kane

The Wake

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 20
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/15/2011 6:05:10 PM   
Big B

Another good book that can still be found is:
Jack Coggins: Campaign For Guadalcanal

I bought my copy of that book new back in 1972, a very informative book (and nicely illustrated), and as the Amazon.com link above shows - it can still be obtained.

A review of this lessr known book today:
quote:

Jack Coggins' THE CAMPAIGN FOR GUADALCANAL is of a type never seen anymore. Every page is illustrated with drawings and/or maps-- there's not a single photo, yet they're not at all missed.

This oversized book is printed in two columns per page. Events that precipitated the clash over the strategically vital Solomon Island are covered in detail. Drawings of military equipment (planes, ships, armored vehicles, transports, etc.) for both sides are provided along with specs that allow the reader to determine at a glance which of two might have the edge in battle.

Motivations and military options are discussed; task forces are broken down into individual components. Simplified maps include clearly defined positions along with troop, ship or plane movements. Great insights into the strategic ramifications of the battle as well as the small details of both the US and Japanese men, equipment and tactics. There are abundant maps, drawings and sidebar discussions of related topics (like how to aim artillery if you cannot see the target, how to land a plane on a carrier, etc). The author's expressed desire to educate any newcomer to this battle's history is superbly realized through his concise text and unparalleled ability to make understandable potentially complicated material.

< Message edited by Big B -- 5/15/2011 8:25:17 PM >

(in reply to Heeward)
Post #: 21
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/15/2011 6:31:41 PM   
Big B

One other resource for English language readers -
This is an online resource Hyperwar:A Hypertext History of the Second World War

It is readily available and best of all free. It contains many complete & detailed history books put online for free reading, and covers all theaters and phases of the war:
quote:

The content of HyperWar consists primarily of official documents produced by various agencies of the United States, United Kingdom and British Commonwealth governments.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 22
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/15/2011 6:34:14 PM   
Don Bowen

One more....

For a good overview of the Naval aspects, all campaigns but less detail, try
http://www.amazon.com/Two-Ocean-War-History-United-States/dp/1591145244/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305480764&sr=1-1

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 23
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/15/2011 6:42:30 PM   
dorjun driver

Where is the love for anything by Dunnigan/Nofi?

I am disappoint...
Yeah he's a hack, but he's our hack.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 24
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/15/2011 10:53:13 PM   
Kapitanma

I highly recommend Tennozan by George Feifer. It's an excellent and well researched book on the invasion of Okinawa. Posting from phone so won't get long winded...

Post #: 25
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/15/2011 11:11:02 PM   
USS Henrico

quote:

ORIGINAL: dorjun driver

Where is the love for anything by Dunnigan/Nofi?

I am disappoint...
Yeah he's a hack, but he's our hack.

Dunnigan is such a hack that he ran SPI into bankruptcy at a time when they had the largest and most loyal wargamer base ever. They had to sell out to the Dungeons and Dragons people (TSR). Haven't forgiven him for that.

But I have Victory at Sea on the same shelf as some of the above mentioned titles. It has some usefulness as a general reference book.

Post #: 26
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/15/2011 11:48:36 PM   
dorjun driver

And let's not forget "How to Make War." The West will win because the East drinks the alcohol from the teat of their crappy tanks!

OK, I'm spent.

(in reply to USS Henrico)
Post #: 27
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/16/2011 12:13:09 AM   
AirGriff

I read a couple this year that were pretty good. "Neptunes Inferno" is an account of the US Navy's actions around Guadalcanal in late '42, early '43. Really vivid battle details and an interesting analysis of the decisions leading up to and following those battles.

The other one is "The Ghost Mountain Boys" by Campbell. It's about an American division (the 32nd I think--details are already fading) that fought in New Guinea. This book also gives some vivid details about what it was like to fight in that terrain (you'll never hear me complain about how long it takes a unit to march in the jungle and all the disruption it receives in AE). Not a lot of detail on what was going on elsewhere, but a very good look at the fight for New Guinea.

(in reply to USS Henrico)
Post #: 28
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/16/2011 12:26:11 AM   
HansBolter

Short of digging out some of mine to provide you a list, I recommend reading as many as possible by as many different authors as possible.

Doing this can help to reveal some of the bias and prejudice of various authors.

As an example one author portrays Kelly Turner as having walked on water and being singlehandedly responsible for the success of the American amphibious campaign. That same author portrays Fletcher as a complete coward who was the worst excuse for a carrier TF commander that ever existed.

Another author portrays Kelly turner as one of the most arrogant and difficult to work with SOBs to have ever existed and Fletcher as a prudent, cautious leader who deftly protected the vital carrier assets in the earlier days of vulnerablity.

Personally, I don't have strong feelings either way about either man and suspect that the truth lies somehwere in between the two extermes.

My point is to expose yourself to as many points of view as possible.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 5/16/2011 12:28:41 AM >

Hans

(in reply to AirGriff)
Post #: 29
RE: Books about the War in the Pacific? - 5/16/2011 2:13:16 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

This excellent series is actually available through Amazon.com.
History of United States Naval Operations in World War II 15 Volume Set [Hardcover]

In the internet(s) age, hard to find books and videos can usually be obtained through online shopping....

Hope it helps,
B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

I noticed that when I posted, but those are used. My parents got my set for me. I have no idea where they got them from. For some reason I want to say that my mother perhaps ordered them straight from the publisher.

< Message edited by Fallschirmjager -- 5/16/2011 2:16:38 AM >

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Books about the War in the Pacific? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI