Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Considering this game, what's MP like?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Considering this game, what's MP like? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Considering this game, what's MP like? - 5/14/2011 2:16:13 PM   
Altaris

Can someone break down how multiplayer works exactly? In particular, how does the turn and impulse structure work out? How long does it typically take to turn around a turn? How long typically to finish a full game?

How's it rate on the grognard scale compared to WitP and WitE?
Post #: 1
RE: Considering this game, what's MP like? - 5/15/2011 1:54:56 AM   
sbaxter1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Altaris

Can someone break down how multiplayer works exactly? In particular, how does the turn and impulse structure work out? How long does it typically take to turn around a turn? How long typically to finish a full game?

How's it rate on the grognard scale compared to WitP and WitE?

Six turns per year except for 1914 which has three. January has only one impulse (tough to fight in the cold), March and November have two, the rest (May, July, September) have three. You need to add in the strategic phase for each turn, too. Count that as an extra impulse and you get 20 impulses per year (again, 1914 has fewer).

The initial setup can be time consuming. My experience is that you can load a setup you have created for CP but not so for TE. That is annoying as the Russians have LOTS of troops over a wide area and moving them to places where they will be effective takes time.

Currently, I am playing two opponents half way around the world from me. One impulse per day is normal, given that I get their moves and respond when they are sleeping or working, but it can go a lot faster than that.

Not being a grognard and not knowing what WitP and WitE are, I could not say.

(in reply to Altaris)
Post #: 2
RE: Considering this game, what's MP like? - 5/15/2011 2:06:05 AM   
Ralph1961

The game works very well as a pbem. It isn't super time consuming an impulse can take about 20-30 minutes to play and most of that time is spent studying the map and planning.
I would rate the game as about a 5-6 on a 1-10 scale. The hardest part is getting the hang of things. There are several players out there, I great change of pace from all of the WW2 games.

(in reply to sbaxter1)
Post #: 3
RE: Considering this game, what's MP like? - 5/16/2011 2:57:22 AM   
Sewerlobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ralph Harper
... most of that time is spent studying the map and planning.

Oh, so that's my problem...

(in reply to Ralph1961)
Post #: 4
RE: Considering this game, what's MP like? - 5/16/2011 3:25:50 AM   
Altaris

Thx all. It is kinda funny that there's been absolutely no posts on here for months, but all of a sudden me and another guy (Templer) post up questions about it within five mins of one another

I'm playing a few other games at the moment, but I'll keep this one on my radar when I wrap those up. Would be great to have a WW1 game to play, though guess I"ll have to hunt down someone to play *against*

(in reply to Sewerlobster)
Post #: 5
RE: Considering this game, what's MP like? - 5/20/2011 3:27:56 AM   
Ralph1961

There are a number of people playing GOA. I really like the game, really requires some thinking but not a monster game to take up all of your time.
Go to the threads that Lava put up when the game was first released and play around with it awhile and you will pick it up quickly.

(in reply to Altaris)
Post #: 6
RE: Considering this game, what's MP like? - 5/20/2011 6:56:18 AM   
SMK-at-work

Yes it's a very subtle game - I relate it a bit to chess - what you can do is limited and mistakes might not be obvious for a while, but if they ar bad enough then you'll see yourself sliding toward oblivion with no escape despite your best efforts!!

I've just finished a game with Mr Baxter that went all the way through to the end of 1919, but our other games have all ended "early" with the CP conceeding - the CP is particularly unforgiving of errors!

So I've been playing at least 1 game since mid last year - sometimes a couple at the same time.

I would dearly love for Frank to come back & fix some of the remaining faults....but it appears unlikely to happen :(

(in reply to Ralph1961)
Post #: 7
RE: Considering this game, what's MP like? - 5/20/2011 8:26:38 PM   
Altaris

What exactly constitutes the "remaining faults"?

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 8
RE: Considering this game, what's MP like? - 5/20/2011 11:33:20 PM   
SMK-at-work

There's lots of little things - eg if the CP takes Alexandria then some British ships based there automatically rebase, some don't.

there's a couple of threads on them - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2732128
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2605335

(in reply to Altaris)
Post #: 9
RE: Considering this game, what's MP like? - 8/1/2011 2:29:16 PM   
Urpå

Just got interested in trying out GoA PBEM and I was wondering if there are some sort of commonly used 'house rules' in h2h like in many other games?

Post #: 10
RE: Considering this game, what's MP like? - 8/2/2011 6:57:49 AM   
SMK-at-work

Not really- off hand I can't think of any bugs in the game that really screw 1 side or the other.

(in reply to Urpå)
Post #: 11
RE: Considering this game, what's MP like? - 8/11/2011 5:43:14 PM   
mitra76

I'm still learning to use this great game I hope to start soon to play PBEM; I'm also creating a ladder site attached to phpbb forum of friends of mine, so I hope also to host players to this game.

Post #: 12
RE: Considering this game, what's MP like? - 8/31/2011 11:20:18 AM   
SMK-at-work

There is one house rule I've remembered recently - the naval system does not tell the CP player when anything is sunk - so the TE player should inform the CP player of all sinkings.

(in reply to mitra76)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Considering this game, what's MP like? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI