Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Several issues arising out of game.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Several issues arising out of game. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/15/2011 9:49:18 PM   
USSAmerica

Well, the game does not prevent Restricted Command LCU's from marching across the border into China.  Nor does it prevent Indian Restricted LCU's from marching all the way to Burma, Thailand, Incochina, China, Korea, etc. 

Without a HR to limit this, there are lots of Japanese Manchurian command LCU's that can march into China while leaving enough AV behind to meet the garrison limit.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 31
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/16/2011 2:48:47 AM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

Well, the game does not prevent Restricted Command LCU's from marching across the border into China.  Nor does it prevent Indian Restricted LCU's from marching all the way to Burma, Thailand, Incochina, China, Korea, etc. 

Without a HR to limit this, there are lots of Japanese Manchurian command LCU's that can march into China while leaving enough AV behind to meet the garrison limit.

Nor do all of the scores of artillery, tanks, engineers and aircraft count very much toward the garrison limit...coupled with the limit being 8000 and the starting garrison = 11000 ish ... the Japanese can remove 5-6 divisions plus all of the artillery and tanks without concern about the "limit".

So without a HR this army seriously tips the proverbial scales...

In my mod I added to the HR by permanently restricting a fair amount of what historically stayed in Manchuria the entire war. As a result a bunch of artillery and engineers stay in Manchuria watching the Russians.

< Message edited by treespider -- 5/16/2011 2:49:22 AM >

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 32
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/16/2011 3:09:02 AM   
Numdydar

Well that explain it as I thought that nothing there could be moved without paying PP.  So I never even tried to move anything across the border unless I paid for it first. So I was using a HR without even knowing it lol.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 33
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/16/2011 8:22:53 AM   
CV 2

It also doesnt cost 1800 PPs. More like 500, if you know what you are doing (which most Jap players do). So you can release a division every 10 days or so.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 34
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/16/2011 5:34:34 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: CV 2

It also doesnt cost 1800 PPs. More like 500, if you know what you are doing (which most Jap players do). So you can release a division every 10 days or so.

How so? I know they are cheaper if you set replacements off prior to them attaining their full TOE and you can then purchase them for less. Once they are full strength they cost as stated in the 1600-1800 PP range. Unless you're pulling the same trick as changing the HQ's to a non-restricted HQ then I don't see how you are getting divisions for so cheap? An artillery rgt. alone will run you 400 PP's so factor in two infantry regiments, maybe an infantry brigade, a recon rgt. and an engineer rgt. how do you buy a division for 500 PP's?

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 5/16/2011 7:21:13 PM >

(in reply to CV 2)
Post #: 35
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/16/2011 6:00:53 PM   
Fletcher

Under my own experience, I paid near 1.800 PP to exit 8th Infantry Division from Machukuo to Southern Seas (03 infantry regiments, 1 arty regiment, 1 recon regiment and 1 engineer regiment). It´s expensive. Agree with SqzMylemon.

For the other hand, we played like gentleman, no tricks or similar to change HQ´s ... this could be absurd ! After many House Rules playing with trickys (??!)

Ramón

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 36
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/16/2011 6:12:47 PM   
CV 2

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

quote:

How so? I know they are cheaper if you set replacements off prior to them attaining their full TOE and you can then purchase them for less. Once they are full strength they cost as stated in the 1600-1800 PP range. Unless you're pulling the same trick as changing the HQ's to a non-restricted HQ then I don't see how you are getting divisions for so cheap? An artillery rgt. alone will run you 400 PP's so factor in a two infantry regiments, maybe an infantry brigade, a recon rgt. and an engineer rgt. how do you buy a division for 500 PP's?

You attach an unrestricted HQ (like the 15th army for example) to Kwangtung and everything coming out of Manchuria costs 1/4th its normal cost going into 15th army.

I usually attach 15th army to Kwang, 25th to China, and Southern Army to Japan. ALL my changes then are 1/4 cost.

< Message edited by CV 2 -- 5/16/2011 6:14:32 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 37
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/16/2011 6:24:59 PM   
cantona2

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

quote:

How so? I know they are cheaper if you set replacements off prior to them attaining their full TOE and you can then purchase them for less. Once they are full strength they cost as stated in the 1600-1800 PP range. Unless you're pulling the same trick as changing the HQ's to a non-restricted HQ then I don't see how you are getting divisions for so cheap? An artillery rgt. alone will run you 400 PP's so factor in a two infantry regiments, maybe an infantry brigade, a recon rgt. and an engineer rgt. how do you buy a division for 500 PP's?

You attach an unrestricted HQ (like the 15th army for example) to Kwangtung and everything coming out of Manchuria costs 1/4th its normal cost going into 15th army.

I usually attach 15th army to Kwang, 25th to China, and Southern Army to Japan. ALL my changes then are 1/4 cost.

Gamey in the extreme IMHO. HR's would need to be in place to avoid this!

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to CV 2)
Post #: 38
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/16/2011 6:39:00 PM   
Fletcher

Absolutely GAMEY (case, of course)

PS: In my game vs Cantona2 in 9 months of war, I got to exit from Manchuria three divisions:

14th Infantry Division (to Carolines, General Reserve of IJA)
8th Infantry Division (2nd Army, to salomons)
10th Infantry Division (XVII Army, to New Guinea)

< Message edited by Fletcher -- 5/16/2011 6:40:11 PM >

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 39
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/16/2011 7:15:27 PM   
inqistor

I think China is pretty balanced, if you do not enter outside forces. But thinking of it, Japan can send there quite a lot unrestricted troops, so I think simple HR should resolve this:

All units in combat operations, against Chinese units (including garrison requirements), from China territory, should belong to China Command.

That way you can use unrestricted planes from Burma/Vietnam/Manchuria etc. territory, but all your extra LCUs should be bought out.

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 40
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/16/2011 7:18:26 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

Ah, I figured as much. Agree with the others, blatantly gaming the system to get an unfair advantage in my opinion. You did the same with all the air units from the 2nd Air Division too no doubt?

(in reply to CV 2)
Post #: 41
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/16/2011 7:24:57 PM   
CV 2

No more gamey than the allies assigning III corps or Burma to India. 2 Aus to New Zealand. I Amphib to West coast. Im sure Im the only one that has ever done this. Please.

Both sides can do it so it so it isnt like its giving 1 side an advantage over the other. And Im sure that 1 if not both players in 90% of the games going does this.

All that would have to be done to prevent this is to not make HQs able to change commands. Pretty simple fix. Hell, that isnt even a code change, thats a database change. I remember everyone saying that changing 2nd air army and releasing almost all the Manchurian air units was "gamey" until Elf said that was the way he designed it. Well, same thing. I cant believe that after what? 4 years now from test to current no one has ever encountered this? You can safely assume it was. And since thats the way it is, then it was probably intended to be that way.

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 42
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/16/2011 7:33:19 PM   
cantona2

quote:

No more gamey than the allies assigning III corps or Burma to India. 2 Aus to New Zealand. I Amphib to West coast. Im sure Im the only one that has ever done this. Please.

Both sides can do it so it so it isnt like its giving 1 side an advantage over the other. And Im sure that 1 if not both players in 90% of the games going does this.

All that would have to be done to prevent this is to not make HQs able to change commands. Pretty simple fix. Hell, that isnt even a code change, thats a database change. I remember everyone saying that changing 2nd air army and releasing almost all the Manchurian air units was "gamey" until Elf said that was the way he designed it. Well, same thing. I cant believe that after what? 4 years now from test to current no one has ever encountered this? You can safely assume it was. And since thats the way it is, then it was probably intended to be that way.

I am sure you are not the only one to it CV2 I still think its a gamey strategy to get troops released on the cheap. Totally agree with you on your last point untill your last sentence. IT still sucks big eggs and is a Gamey strategy to get troops on the cheap. For the record I have never done this, frankly I'd forgotten I could but there are enough PP's to go around to release troops as and when and for the Allies the need is never as great as during the first 3-6 months of war.

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to CV 2)
Post #: 43
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/16/2011 7:56:54 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

quote:

I am sure you are not the only one to it CV2 I still think its a gamey strategy to get troops released on the cheap. Totally agree with you on your last point untill your last sentence. IT still sucks big eggs and is a Gamey strategy to get troops on the cheap. For the record I have never done this, frankly I'd forgotten I could but there are enough PP's to go around to release troops as and when and for the Allies the need is never as great as during the first 3-6 months of war.

Didn't even know we could do that...oh well

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 44
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/16/2011 8:32:36 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I never said you were the only one doing it. Most players agree before they start a match whether PP's need to be used to have units cross national boundaries and it's either discussed or understood that if you do buy out units you assign them to an active unrestricted HQ paying full PP costs. Yes, the Allies can do it too as you pointed out so it evens out. I guess the point is does your opponent know you did this and was it agreed to prior to starting? If so...have at it...if not...you're gaming the system to get an advantage.

I don't know what Elf said regarding the air HQ, but I remember a discussion amongst players before where the concensus was it was not designed to circumvent having to pay full PP's to assign air units to non-restricted commands, nor have air units assigned to the Kwantung Army operating out of Rabaul for example.

To each their own...but my opponents and I agreed to pay full PP's to buy out units. If at some point I learned that one or the other reassigned the HQ to lower the cost of the PP's without owning up to it, I'd feel they had cheated.

If you and your opponent agreed then no harm no foul, or if you are playing the AI...who cares what you do, it cheats like a mofo .

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 45
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/16/2011 10:07:51 PM   
CV 2

Hmmm, interesting. I hear people on the boards all the time whining that it costs so much to re-assign units to commands to use as "real corps" all the time. When I show them how to do just that, other people call it "gamey". To each his own I guess. I certainly see nothing wrong with it. So both sides get units for the same cost. Whats the difference if that cost is 2000 or 500 as long as it is the same for both?

I'd like to see saves from everyone that says they dont do it with passwords so I can confirm that, because frankly, I dont believe it for a second.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 46
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/16/2011 10:24:21 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

Hmmm, interesting. I hear people on the boards all the time whining that it costs so much to re-assign units to commands to use as "real corps" all the time. When I show them how to do just that, other people call it "gamey". To each his own I guess. I certainly see nothing wrong with it. So both sides get units for the same cost. Whats the difference if that cost is 2000 or 500 as long as it is the same for both?

I'd like to see saves from everyone that says they dont do it with passwords so I can confirm that, because frankly, I dont believe it for a second.

You miss my point. Do whatever floats your boat.

(in reply to CV 2)
Post #: 47
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/16/2011 11:20:23 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

Attachment (1)

Mike

(in reply to CV 2)
Post #: 48
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/17/2011 12:39:51 AM   
CV 2

quote:

quote:

This is supposed to mean what? Have any Marine aircraft assigned to 11th airforce hot-shot? I'll bet you do. Same thing, right? Avoiding PP costs? Isnt that "gamey"? They should be assigned to a naval or marine command, right? Thats the FIRST place I'd look. And I'd bet 90% or more of you AFB that said its "gamey" have done just that.

So put THAT in your tin foil hat.

< Message edited by CV 2 -- 5/17/2011 12:41:40 AM >

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 49
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/17/2011 12:48:53 AM   
USSAmerica

I've got a thousand dollars that says I don't, Big Boy. 

Go hug something else, yamato. 

Mike

(in reply to CV 2)
Post #: 50
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/17/2011 12:59:38 AM   
witpqs

quote:

III Corps changes its HQ assignment at a certain date as part of the scenario.

(in reply to CV 2)
Post #: 51
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/17/2011 10:00:48 AM   
CV 2

quote:

Send your opponents name and your password then. I will get a save from him a few turns back. If you arent afraid of being proven wrong that is. And please note, I said 90%. So even if it is true, which again I seriously doubt, you would be the exception rather than the rule and fall into that very small 10%.

And I submit at this point if you dont provide it, you HAVE just been proven wrong. So put up or shut up.

(Ed. Big boy? Resorting to name-calling now? Oh yeah? Well my dad can beat up YOUR dad. Grow up.)

< Message edited by CV 2 -- 5/17/2011 10:57:27 AM >

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 52
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/17/2011 11:31:53 AM   
Erkki

quote:

Green button.

(in reply to CV 2)
Post #: 53
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/17/2011 11:43:02 AM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erkki

quote:

Green button.

Amen.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to Erkki)
Post #: 54
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/17/2011 12:33:40 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

quote:

Send your opponents name and your password then. I will get a save from him a few turns back. If you arent afraid of being proven wrong that is. And please note, I said 90%. So even if it is true, which again I seriously doubt, you would be the exception rather than the rule and fall into that very small 10%.

And I submit at this point if you dont provide it, you HAVE just been proven wrong. So put up or shut up.

(Ed. Big boy? Resorting to name-calling now? Oh yeah? Well my dad can beat up YOUR dad. Grow up.)

You have no clue what you're talking about. And you are sure not ready to back up your words, are you? If you're ready to bet $1000 let me know.

If you had even the tiniest clue, instead of assuming the rest of the world is in some big conspiracy to get you, you might realize I'm playing a 2x2 PBEM game. Think about that for a while before you decide to chicken out on the bet anyway.

Buh-bye.

Attachment (1)

Mike

(in reply to CV 2)
Post #: 55
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/17/2011 5:23:12 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Removed by poster for forum etiquette.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 5/17/2011 5:56:22 PM >

(in reply to CV 2)
Post #: 56
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/17/2011 5:39:35 PM   
Rainer

You're feeding it ...

WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 57
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/17/2011 5:50:49 PM   
SqzMyLemon

True enough, the thread raised some interesting points and I'm contributing to it degenerating. Time to step back.

(in reply to Rainer)
Post #: 58
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/17/2011 6:23:49 PM   
Nemo121

Or begin quoting Chuck Norries, the time-honoured response to trolls.

The only thing more powerful than a troll is, of course, Chuck Norris.

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 59
RE: Several issues arising out of game. - 5/17/2011 8:36:11 PM   
JWE

Before this devolves into the usual, must return, for just a moment, to the intent of the OP. Jonathan and Ramon have both commented on the apparent lack of AT for Chinese units. While I do agree Chinese units are quite thin in this respect, I must suggest ya'll take a look at Treespider v witpqs's AAR at http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2754161, where a bunch of Chinese units (ordinary Corps stuff) attack a Japanese stack with a bunch of Infantry and a pantload of Tank Regiments, and absolutely smoke them; 72% casualties (killed or disrupted, mostly killed) to vehicle units. Several other Combat Reports, at other places, show Tank/Vehicle devices incurring reasonable casualties.

Spidey and witpqs are playing Spidey's mod which is based on Babes. Really think that Babes data tweaks (in this area) represent a noticeable improvement in combat outcomes.

Ramon, Jonathan, take a vacation in the Balearics (and invite me along). When you come back, try out a Babes scenario. Ciao. J

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Several issues arising out of game. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI