Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Soviet Builouts (Mid Game)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Soviet Builouts (Mid Game) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Soviet Builouts (Mid Game) - 5/22/2011 2:53:02 PM   
pat.casey

I've been experimenting somewhat with buildouts for the red army and I was hoping to get some advice.

1) Of the soviet mobile units (motorized/mechanized/tank), does it every make sense to build something other than tank brigades/corps? Seems like I get more blasting power with the tank units and I usually have a surplus of tanks. Am I misreading/understanding something here, or are motorized/mechanized just budget units you build when short on tanks?

2) Of the various artillery divisions, what do people build? Is there an advantage of a mixed divisions over a heavy division over a rocket division? Has anyone done the math as to which one gives the most bang for the admin point?

3) I have a mess (over a million if memory serves) armament points banked. I also have a shortage of certain types of gun tubes e.g. some of my artillery divisions are sitting on railheads in refit, but not filling out. Is there something else I need to do to "suggest" to my armaments points that they should transform into gun tubes for me?

4) I'm currently short on rail repair (summer 1943). If I build a lot of railroad construction brigades as army level add-ons, will they auto-repair my railroads like the copious german rail repair brigades? If so, does it matter where I put them?
Post #: 1
RE: Soviet Builouts (Mid Game) - 5/22/2011 3:29:48 PM   
Klydon

The support units you can put in tank corps and mech corps are different I think (for instance, I don't think you can put tank regiments in tank corps, but can put tank regiments in mech corps). In theory, the mech corps are tougher on defense against a counter attack because they are more like a motorized infantry corps with tanks. Tank corps don't have a strong contingent of infantry, so are more "offensive minded".

Can't really help you on 2 and 3 as I don't have very much experience with them. What I have done in the past is to try to look at the ToE of what I want to build and pick units that I have stuff in the pool for.

Yes, the rail brigades will help repair lines, but they will only work on 1 hex at a time (IE, advance the rail head 1 hex at a time). They can do it in multiple spots, but otherwise follow the same rules as the Axis units. I think you can have them in either Stavka or Front HQ's for them to do their rail repair job. Careful on getting too many however as they take up a lot of manpower and with it being 1943, manpower might be becoming an issue for you.

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Soviet Builouts (Mid Game) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI