Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 2:47:37 AM   
henri51

I have the demo of both games, and both are good. Now which one to buy? Sure I could buy both (and maybe I will eventually). But why should I buy this one first?

OK, one reason is the hateful Battlefront copy protection system apparently designed to offend only legitimate users. But aside from that...

Henri
Post #: 1
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 2:50:23 AM   
junk2drive

$44 with download and a printed manual, $35 for download only and serial number DRM. nuff said?

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 2
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 3:31:14 AM   
Commanderski

More variety in weapons, terrain, weather and time period. I have thought about CBN and have the demo but haven't installed it yet, the CBN demo came out in the morning and this complete game came out in the afternoon. CBN is only a 3 month time period and this covers from '41 - '45 so you have all the different year models of the weapons. The AI is also really good. Lots of other stuff that I haven't even had the time to look at or play with yet.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 3
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 3:34:43 AM   
Mad Russian

Let's see...where to start?

Depends on what you're basic interests are.

If you want more than just a few vehicle models covering the summer months in a restricted area, go with PCO.

You want a game that will play on an older machine, go with PCO.

You want the entire inventory of vehicles from 1941 through 1945, go with PCO.

You want platoon oriented combat, go with PCO.

You want WeGo that's fine tuned for multiple gaming styles, go with PCO.

You want variable turn speeds and sequencing ability, go with PCO.

You want platoon based unit orders, go with PCO.

You want a map maker that used Google Earth satellite imagery to create maps, go with PCO.

You want support from a development team that asks for, and implements, your ideas about improvements for the game, go with PCO.

You want the ability to mod any part of the game that moves, has sound or has graphics representation, go with PCO.

You want expansions that are coming between now and the next installment in the series, go with PCO.

You want an extremely detailed armored combat model with supporting combat models for artillery, infantry and close air support, go with PCO.

You want more content for your money, go with PCO.

You want anything else, go with CMBN.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 5/22/2011 9:00:39 AM >

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 4
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 3:52:02 AM   
Mobius

1000 words.

Attachment (1)

All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 5
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 4:25:21 AM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: henri51

I have the demo of both games, and both are good. Now which one to buy?

You should buy it because I say it is good!
But really, you tried both, buy whatever gave you more fun. Then later get the other one, you know you want both!

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 6
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 5:12:00 AM   
Richie61

I have both games and both are worth the hard earned cash IMHO.

Only down side I see in PCO is it runs slow and has low fps on my XP machine.   I even have to turn down stuff to get a 30 fps game.
quote:

XP - sp3
Pentiun 3.20GHz
3.25 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT - 512 MB
1920 x 1200

Now CMBN runs fast and with everything on.....

But PCO runs 60 fps with everything on when I use my Win 7 machine

Basically, you need to buy both as stated above

To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 7
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 6:03:01 AM   
junk2drive

Do you play against the AI? Most people here have reported a good experience with the AI. No scripting required.

Do you play against humans? Our MP system is automatic and quick. No moving files around.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to Richie61)
Post #: 8
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 6:07:13 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richie61

Only down side I see in PCO is it runs slow and has low fps on my XP machine.   I even have to turn down stuff to get a 30 fps game.
quote:

XP - sp3
Pentiun 3.20GHz
3.25 GB of RAM
1920 x 1200

Is your Windows 7 machine multi-core?

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to Richie61)
Post #: 9
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 6:38:58 AM   
general_solomon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

Let's see...where to start?

Depends on what you're basic interests are.

If you want more than just a few vehicle models covering the summer months in a restricted area, go with PCO.

You want a game that will play on an older machine got with POC.

You want the entire inventory of vehicles from 1941 through 1945 go with PCO.

You want platoon oriented combat go with PCO.

You want WeGo that's fine tuned for multiple gaming styles go with PCO.

You want variable turn speeds and sequencing ability, go with PCO.

You want platoon based unit orders, go with PCO.

You want a map maker that used Google Earth satellite imagery to create maps, go with PCO.

You want support from a development team that asks for, and implements, your ideas about improvements for the game,  go with PCO.

You want the ability to mod any part of the game that moves, has sound or has graphics representation, go with PCO.

You want expansions that are coming between now and the next installment in the series, go with PCO.

You want an extremely detailed armored combat model with supporting combat models for artillery, infantry and close air support, go with PCO.

You want more content for your money, go with PCO.

You want anything else, go with CMBN.

Good Hunting.

MR

first of all i wanted to say MR's response should be turned into a song. your not only a virtual general but also a poet.

on to your question:

here is what I suggest, buy pco first and play the hell out of it. that will take a couple of months. then buy cmbn because its a good game also. you then play the hell out that plus its user made scenarios.

by that time, pco's first expansion will arrive(hopefully). so then come back to pco and play the hell out of it. keep repeating the steps until 2015.

both games deserve your full attention, so take the time play both. thats what i am doing.

hope this helps.

Post #: 10
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 7:08:40 AM   
diablo1

1. Russian Front vs Western Front

2. Random Campaign generator with over 90+ possible threads of battle to partake in throughout the campaign

3. A real TacAI opponent on random generated battles whereas CM:BN has NONE unless the scenario is player made

4. A real TacAI that is challenging and has beaten my butt which rarely ever happens in pc games.

5. The ability to see where you are attacking, what you are attacking and what is attacking you with combat lines from you and to your target.

6. A customer service rep like Mad Russian unsurpassed by any other especially Steve from Battlefront.

7. A Kill Camara which I love so when something happens during a turn or phase you DO get to see it, CM:BN does not have this

8. Price when it's released at NWSonline.com will be the same $35 + S/H like the direct download here and you'll get that beautiful color printed manual

9. It just feels more real during the battles to me and there just feels like there's more content for the $$ than in CM:BN

10. It's free to Panzer Command Kharkov owners, let's see Battlefront do that for all its CMBO, CMBB and CMAK owners.

X3:Universe of games rules them all!! Xtra coming soon X3:REBIRTH 4th qtr 2011 YAY!

(in reply to general_solomon)
Post #: 11
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 7:09:16 AM   
Richie61

quote:

quote:

quote:

XP - sp3
Pentiun 3.20GHz
3.25 GB of RAM
1920 x 1200

Is your Windows 7 machine multi-core?

Good Hunting.

MR

Yes.

To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

Post #: 12
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 7:46:13 AM   
Mad Russian

That's probably why it runs faster than on your XP machine.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to Richie61)
Post #: 13
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 8:08:52 AM   
AbnAirCav

quote:

<snip>

I have both, as well, and agree that we're fortunate to have these two excellent games now available, covering different fronts!

(in reply to Richie61)
Post #: 14
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 9:22:05 AM   
Jacko

I think one can't seriously compare PCO to CMBN. And why should they be compared anyway? CMBN is brilliant, but that doesn't make PCO any less fun. On the contrary, I'm glad with both. Both game have lots of potential. 

And any self-respecting wargamer should have them both installed on his pc.  

(in reply to AbnAirCav)
Post #: 15
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 1:34:07 PM   
Chackal

For me a key reason is that PCO runs great in my multicore laptop with everything maxed. On the other hand to make CMBN smooth I have to turn off many options and it ends looking much worse than PCO.

When you take into account the price, DRM, support from the development team, AI, modding potential, etc. it should be a very easy choice.

Also, East Front vs Normandy? for me it's not even close.

(in reply to Jacko)
Post #: 16
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 5:00:27 PM   
Enigma6584

@Henri51

My own opinion is that you wait for some independent reviews to come out on PCO. Read the AARs which are coming out now on PCO, continue to play the demo. How does it feel to you? How does CMBN feel to you? I wouldn't take Mad Russians opinion on the game too seriously, he has a vested interest in selling this game and is known for his dislike of BF. As for diablo1, well...LOL he's just diablo1. Both are good in many areas, better than the other in some areas. I myself am probably going to get both, I already have CMBN and am still deciding on PCO. Very close to PCO though, it is the infantry model which gives me pause. Eric's new tutorial video titled "Boot Camp" has pushed me in the direction of forgiving the infantry model limitations. Just take your time to decide, there really is no need to hurry and spend your money....correct?

(in reply to Chackal)
Post #: 17
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 5:17:21 PM   
FNG

Without comparing it to any other game, all I can really say about PCO is that it 'feels' right. Whether the outcomes are good or bad in game, I have never thought WTF how did that happen? It's immersive, it's addictive.

FNG
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

(in reply to Enigma6584)
Post #: 18
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 5:40:26 PM   
junk2drive

quote:

ORIGINAL: RedCharlie65

@Henri51

My own opinion is that you wait for some independent reviews to come out on PCO. Read the AARs which are coming out now on PCO, continue to play the demo. How does it feel to you? How does CMBN feel to you? I wouldn't take Mad Russians opinion on the game too seriously, he has a vested interest in selling this game and is known for his dislike of BF. As for diablo1, well...LOL he's just diablo1. Both are good in many areas, better than the other in some areas. I myself am probably going to get both, I already have CMBN and am still deciding on PCO. Very close to PCO though, it is the infantry model which gives me pause. Eric's new tutorial video titled "Boot Camp" has pushed me in the direction of forgiving the infantry model limitations. Just take your time to decide, there really is no need to hurry and spend your money....correct?

I agree with some of what you say.

Independent reviews are a bit of mixed bag. I have seen good games trashed by someone that doesn't read the manual and doesn't play turn based games. They fumble along, don't understand anything, and proclaim the game junk.

We try to give you as much documentation as possible and explain as much under the hood stuff as we can. There are youtube videos and tutorials. Pictorial How To's. Forum explanations.

In the end though you need to like the game and how it feels as others have said. You have the demo. It has the full manual. There are options for how it plays. Play from both sides.

Good luck in your quest.

(in reply to Enigma6584)
Post #: 19
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 6:05:53 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

I wouldn't take Mad Russians opinion on the game too seriously, he has a vested interest in selling this game

I would hope that my posts about PCO are realistic; and not just a "sales pitch" as you infer. We answer all questions honestly here. He asked and I told him my opinion.

quote:

and is known for his dislike of BF.

I recommend that gamers buy CMBN all the time. My dislikes are not about their games. Hopefully, I would be known for far more things than my "dislike of BF".

I dislike their products so much I have more than 90 scenarios at The Scenario Depot II for CMBB and CMAK.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 5/22/2011 6:33:53 PM >

(in reply to Enigma6584)
Post #: 20
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 7:07:47 PM   
thewood1

If you liked CMSF, get CMBN...if you liked CMBB, get PCO...If you liked both, get both.

Post #: 21
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 7:20:54 PM   
Lützow

The big flaw of CM:N is the the lack of a combat log.

< Message edited by Lützow -- 5/22/2011 7:21:36 PM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 22
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 7:28:48 PM   
hgilmer3

quote:

ORIGINAL: henri51

I have the demo of both games, and both are good. Now which one to buy? Sure I could buy both (and maybe I will eventually). But why should I buy this one first?

OK, one reason is the hateful Battlefront copy protection system apparently designed to offend only legitimate users. But aside from that...

Henri

I seriously do not understand the reasoning behind some of these game companies DRM/Activation schemes. It really does turn me off from a company to realize that they do things like that even if they "think" it is a fairly open system and that they have went out of their way to not overly burden their customers.

How many people TRULY steal wargames?

KurtC in the WITE PBEM module.

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 23
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/22/2011 9:36:48 PM   
Ssnake51

quote:

quote:

I wouldn't take Mad Russians opinion on the game too seriously, he has a vested interest in selling this game

I would hope that my posts about PCO are realistic; and not just a "sales pitch" as you infer. We answer all questions honestly here. He asked and I told him my opinion.

quote:

and is known for his dislike of BF.

I recommend that gamers buy CMBN all the time. My dislikes are not about their games. Hopefully, I would be known for far more things than my "dislike of BF".

I dislike their products so much I have more than 90 scenarios at The Scenario Depot II for CMBB and CMAK.

Good Hunting.

MR

I for one appreciate all the helpful info your provide. Never have gotten the impression you are 'sales pitching'. Also appreciate the respect shown toward the posters here. I have both CMBN and PCO. Have to say I've been rather surprised at the poor customer support shown on the battlefront forum. And, as others have mentioned, the DRM system for CMBN really sucks.

Post #: 24
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/23/2011 12:05:28 AM   
Pillar

CMx2 is more of an arcade game than PzC:O.  It sacrifices a lot to achieve visuals, and CMBN certainly does not exceed CMBB or CMAK for functionality or gameplay.  It just *looks* prettier.

The soldiers do not really use the terrain like real soldiers and there are problems with getting them in LOS/LOF because of the grid system they use.  In hedgerow country this gets insane.  I've had Panzerschrek teams that can't fire, because the soldier is the only one that has LOF while the anti-tank 'man' is in the wrong spot -- all within a single grid.  You'll find your ambushes falling to pieces because of subtleties in the LOS/LOF system. 

The system is also mismatched between the 1:1 and the abstraction.  Essentially, squads have enormous amounts of firepower available in terms of small arms without being appropriately penalized for concentrating due to the generous bonuses they get against area fire effects.  You can often win any CMx2 scenario by concentrating all your forces and overwhelming anything they come across with small arms fire. 

There is also no such thing as a covered fire position in CMx2.  Any unit that is firing is vulnerable to fire as much as you can see their body exposed.  Men can't go prone against cover, but have to kneel, making them more vulnerable to small arms than normal (which only aggravates the problems already) and makes automatic weapons like LMGs difficult to control. 

Foxholes and trenches have been added, but they can't be placed wherever you like.  They have to be in the center of a grid, and since terrain like hedges and walls align along the edge of a grid, means you can't have infantry dug in along lines oriented to cover or concealment.  Your men also can't see past the terrain, since they are too far behind it to get a view. Foxholes have problems because they're stuck in square formations of four, which means the back foxholes won't have the same LOF as the front foxholes. (No you can't control orientation.)   The effect of this is that you only benefit from entrenchment in open terrain along the axis of fire. 

In addition, they've made all hedges (not just "bocage") into significant positions by adding terrain elevation lips to those features, making attacker cover unrealistically available and melding concealment with cover in ways worse than they already did in the original series.  (that is, "exposure")

PzC:O sticks to abstraction which aims at getting the results right straight out of the gate.  Nothing is sacrificed for visuals.  It is much more aligned with the design philosophy that inspired and was borrowed by the old CM series from ASL.  In my opinion, it is more realistic with respect to the results you get, but suffers from over-generous cover abstractions (just like CMx1 did) and so player input and player decisions matter less.  Light infantry tactics aren't viable in PzC:O and typical line tactics work without too much regard for terrain. 

To summarize, I think CMBN gives the gamer more to do and allows his inputs to matter more, but those inputs are mostly geared around gaming the system itself and don't lend themselves to reality, whereas the PzC:O system will give you more realistic overall results but can come across as a battle resolution system rather than a game.

PzC:O also has soooo much more content, in terms of scenarios and campaigns and units... And the customization options are enticing if you're into that sort of tweaking.

PzC:O is what I wish CMx2 had been originally.

< Message edited by Pillar -- 5/23/2011 12:15:05 AM >

(in reply to Ssnake51)
Post #: 25
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/23/2011 1:34:32 AM   
Otto von Blotto

If you have played both the demos don't listen to anyone else convince yourself and get both.

(in reply to Pillar)
Post #: 26
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/23/2011 1:54:01 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

I hope that it doesn't have to be an either/or, but if your finances are such that you can only buy one...

It really comes down to what style of play that you prefer, WEGO or real-time.

If you like the first generation of Combat Mission games, then it's hard to believe that you wouldn't also enjoy Panzer Command. In that same vane, if you disliked CMSF (for any host of reasons), you're probably not gonna like the Normandy game (even though this release is vastly more refined than its predecessor).

IMO, the developers came to a fork in the road very early on in the design of all three game engines. In the case of PC and CM1, a decision was made to build the game around WEGO. In the case of CM2, BF went with RT. And I'd submit that this fundamental difference in design philosophy colored EVERY other aspect of the games that eventually emerged.

Yes, I know that CM2 can be played WEGO, but I'm not sure that it does so as elegantly as either PC or CM1.

Apart from that, CM1/PCO are much more "complete" than any of the CM2 games, as the supply of weapons and vehicles is vastly more comprehensive. There's some disagreement as to how easy to use the editors are in PCO (relative to CM2), but they appear to be more accessible than those for CM1. And unlike CM1 or CM2, PCO is highly open to modification by anyone who has an interest in doing so.

I own all the games that I mention above, and enjoy playing each in spite of their several differences.

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Otto von Blotto)
Post #: 27
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/23/2011 3:01:06 PM   
Enigma6584

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pillar

CMx2 is more of an arcade game than PzC:O.  It sacrifices a lot to achieve visuals, and CMBN certainly does not exceed CMBB or CMAK for functionality or gameplay.  It just *looks* prettier.

The soldiers do not really use the terrain like real soldiers and there are problems with getting them in LOS/LOF because of the grid system they use.  In hedgerow country this gets insane.  I've had Panzerschrek teams that can't fire, because the soldier is the only one that has LOF while the anti-tank 'man' is in the wrong spot -- all within a single grid.  You'll find your ambushes falling to pieces because of subtleties in the LOS/LOF system. 

The system is also mismatched between the 1:1 and the abstraction.  Essentially, squads have enormous amounts of firepower available in terms of small arms without being appropriately penalized for concentrating due to the generous bonuses they get against area fire effects.  You can often win any CMx2 scenario by concentrating all your forces and overwhelming anything they come across with small arms fire. 

There is also no such thing as a covered fire position in CMx2.  Any unit that is firing is vulnerable to fire as much as you can see their body exposed.  Men can't go prone against cover, but have to kneel, making them more vulnerable to small arms than normal (which only aggravates the problems already) and makes automatic weapons like LMGs difficult to control. 

Foxholes and trenches have been added, but they can't be placed wherever you like.  They have to be in the center of a grid, and since terrain like hedges and walls align along the edge of a grid, means you can't have infantry dug in along lines oriented to cover or concealment.  Your men also can't see past the terrain, since they are too far behind it to get a view. Foxholes have problems because they're stuck in square formations of four, which means the back foxholes won't have the same LOF as the front foxholes. (No you can't control orientation.)   The effect of this is that you only benefit from entrenchment in open terrain along the axis of fire. 

In addition, they've made all hedges (not just "bocage") into significant positions by adding terrain elevation lips to those features, making attacker cover unrealistically available and melding concealment with cover in ways worse than they already did in the original series.  (that is, "exposure")

PzC:O sticks to abstraction which aims at getting the results right straight out of the gate.  Nothing is sacrificed for visuals.  It is much more aligned with the design philosophy that inspired and was borrowed by the old CM series from ASL.  In my opinion, it is more realistic with respect to the results you get, but suffers from over-generous cover abstractions (just like CMx1 did) and so player input and player decisions matter less.  Light infantry tactics aren't viable in PzC:O and typical line tactics work without too much regard for terrain. 

To summarize, I think CMBN gives the gamer more to do and allows his inputs to matter more, but those inputs are mostly geared around gaming the system itself and don't lend themselves to reality, whereas the PzC:O system will give you more realistic overall results but can come across as a battle resolution system rather than a game.

PzC:O also has soooo much more content, in terms of scenarios and campaigns and units... And the customization options are enticing if you're into that sort of tweaking.

PzC:O is what I wish CMx2 had been originally.

I strongly disagree with this.

(in reply to Pillar)
Post #: 28
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/23/2011 3:04:02 PM   
Enigma6584

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ssnake51
Have to say I've been rather surprised at the poor customer support shown on the battlefront forum. And, as others have mentioned, the DRM system for CMBN really sucks.

Bullshit.

(in reply to Ssnake51)
Post #: 29
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/23/2011 4:38:07 PM   
GBS

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ssnake51
Have to say I've been rather surprised at the poor customer support shown on the battlefront forum. And, as others have mentioned, the DRM system for CMBN really sucks.

Bullshit.

Well said. I have to agree with RedCharlie here. Their both good even though I haven't bought PCO yet, but I will. You can't go wrong. If you can afford it buy both.

(in reply to Enigma6584)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI