Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 4/1/2011 5:30:02 PM   
Joseph_Nevsky

Hi!

Iīve installed "TOAW Scenario Viewer" and everything looks fine. Obviously, I have TOAW-III on my compueter (version 3.4).

But when Iīm trying to open a scenario dump file (the "Ardennes 1944.SCE", for instance) a message of error appears: "TOAW Scenario Viewer stop working blah,blah, blah... Windows will try to find a solution blah, blah, blah, blah..."

My PC: 9550 Quad, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, ATI Radeoh HD 5850, S.O.: Windows Vista 64 bits. If you need anything else to know for helping me just tell.

What could be going wrong?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Post #: 1
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 4/1/2011 8:09:47 PM   
parmenio

Can you tell me what version of the TOAW Scenario Viewer you're running?

I've just opened "Ardennes 1944.sce" without any problems using V2.4 which was rebuilt for TOAWIII 3.4

(in reply to Joseph_Nevsky)
Post #: 2
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 4/2/2011 8:54:46 PM   
Joseph_Nevsky

My version of "TOAW Scenario Viewer" is 2.4.0.0, and I downloaded it from here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.edmiston/toawviewer.htm

Apparently, the program is working but when I try to download an SCE file, it crashes!

Donīt know whatīs happening and what to do...
I think itīs a very good tool for TOAW-III.
Maybe Matrix Games should include it in a future patch for the game. Itīd be great!...

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 3
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 4/3/2011 9:18:30 AM   
parmenio

Does it crash opening any .SCE file or just Ardennes 1944?

Edit: And if it's only Ardennes 1944... is that the vanilla version or have you edited it at all?

< Message edited by parmenio -- 4/3/2011 9:19:29 AM >

Post #: 4
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 4/3/2011 7:39:07 PM   
Joseph_Nevsky

It crashes opening any .SCE file

I have tried in another computer with Windows XP 32 bits and the Scenario Viewer is just working fine

But it isnīt working in my PC with Windows Vista 64 bits. Itīs a pity!!

A desperate solution: Iīm thinking to use the Scenario Viewer in the computer with XP, then print out all the data, and then start the game in my PC with Vista 64 bits... Although itīs going to be a lot of work for my taste...

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 5
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 4/3/2011 8:12:20 PM   
parmenio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseph_Nevsky

It crashes opening any .SCE file

I have tried in another computer with Windows XP 32 bits and the Scenario Viewer is just working fine

But it isnīt working in my PC with Windows Vista 64 bits. Itīs a pity!!

Unfortunately, I've only tested it on Windows XP and Windows 7 64-bit and I don't have access to a Windows Vista box. If TOAW III works fine on Windows Vista 64-bit then the problem is likely to be in the .NET framework. You could try doing a repair installation of that from the Microsoft website.

Post #: 6
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 4/3/2011 10:03:42 PM   
Telumar

Or maybe run it in XP Compatibility mode.

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 7
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 4/4/2011 6:44:08 PM   
Joseph_Nevsky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

Or maybe run it in XP Compatibility mode.

Yes, Iīve already try this one, but no luck

parmenio: Iīll check if itīs a .NET framework problem. Iīll post over here if thereīs some good news about it.

I havenīt find a solution for this problem yet, but thanks everyone for your kind suggestions

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 8
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 4/5/2011 6:44:21 PM   
ogar

Joseph_Nevsky,

I've a similar problem with the Scenario Viewer on _some_ scenarios (XP, old dll's -- the problem is _not_ Parmenio, it's my not upgrading). But when I dump a scenario file, and rename it as txt (or just open it in Notepad and save it as txt); then voila, the Viewer works just fine. Make sure the Viewer is looking for either .txt files or all files if you try this. It might work, it might not; but if it does it is a lot easier than all that printing.

Parmenio,
yet again, big thanks for all your work on the utilities.

Post #: 9
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 4/6/2011 7:17:40 AM   
Joseph_Nevsky

quote:

ORIGINAL: ogar

Joseph_Nevsky,

I've a similar problem with the Scenario Viewer on _some_ scenarios (XP, old dll's -- the problem is _not_ Parmenio, it's my not upgrading). But when I dump a scenario file, and rename it as txt (or just open it in Notepad and save it as txt); then voila, the Viewer works just fine. Make sure the Viewer is looking for either .txt files or all files if you try this. It might work, it might not; but if it does it is a lot easier than all that printing.

Parmenio,
yet again, big thanks for all your work on the utilities.

Iīve tried your solution but it isnīt working neither It raises a message like this one:

And I think youīre right: all that printing seems to me a lot of work
Itīs just frustrating...

(in reply to ogar)
Post #: 10
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 4/6/2011 6:21:01 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Companero!

The issue might be the 64-bit mode and/or .NET. What's the .NET versions you got and did you try it in any of the compatibility modes?

kLiNk, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

Post #: 11
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 4/6/2011 11:06:01 PM   
parmenio

I'm afraid, I haven't tested the .TXT dump against 3.4 so it's possible that it's broken - I'll take a look

However, one thing worth trying is using the .GAM file export that's now available to do in 3.4. That's just an XML version of the Scenario and the 2.4 Viewer can open those by choosing "All Files" from the Open dialog. If you still have problems, I have a 2.5 in the works that explicitly adds support for .GAM files and enforces UTF-8 encoding in a more consistent fashion. If you want a copy of that PM me.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 12
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 4/7/2011 12:55:50 AM   
ogar

Parmenio --
do not worry about testing TXT in 3.4 -- I've had no problems with it on 3.4.202, or on several of the earlier betas. Again, it's only certain .sce files that hiccup on me; not all. And it's my laziness that needs fixing first.

I'd vote for you working on version 2.5 (and helping Nevsky, of course) as best use of your limited time.

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 13
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 4/7/2011 10:39:48 AM   
Joseph_Nevsky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

Companero!

The issue might be the 64-bit mode and/or .NET. What's the .NET versions you got and did you try it in any of the compatibility modes?

kLiNk, Oberst

Yes, Iīve tried to run Scenario Viewer in all compatibility modes and no luck at all

Iīve checked my PC (Windows Vista 64 bits Ultimate original and updated) and these are what I have installed:

- Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (Editor Microsoft Corporation; size 42,1 MB.)
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (Editor Microsoft Corporation; size 189,3 MB., version 4.0.30319)

If you need any forward information for helping me Iīll post it

Thank you and best regards!

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 14
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 4/7/2011 10:51:54 AM   
Joseph_Nevsky

quote:

ORIGINAL: parmenio

I'm afraid, I haven't tested the .TXT dump against 3.4 so it's possible that it's broken - I'll take a look

However, one thing worth trying is using the .GAM file export that's now available to do in 3.4. That's just an XML version of the Scenario and the 2.4 Viewer can open those by choosing "All Files" from the Open dialog. If you still have problems, I have a 2.5 in the works that explicitly adds support for .GAM files and enforces UTF-8 encoding in a more consistent fashion. If you want a copy of that PM me.

If you please cand send me the 2.5 version it would be great. Thank you!
Iīll PM inmediately (through e-Mail because PM in Matrix Games seems not working).

Iīve tried with .GAM file but no luck neither
This is the error screen which appears:

< Message edited by Joseph_Nevsky -- 4/7/2011 10:55:30 AM >

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 15
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 4/7/2011 6:32:26 PM   
parmenio

Try renaming the .gam as .xml - it might be trying to open the .gam file as a text file (and that's definitely not going to work)

Post #: 16
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 4/8/2011 6:51:14 PM   
Joseph_Nevsky

quote:

ORIGINAL: parmenio

Try renaming the .gam as .xml - it might be trying to open the .gam file as a text file (and that's definitely not going to work)

I received and tried your new version of Scenario Viewer and follow the steps you pointed out, but Iīm afraid it isnīt working: it raises the same error message

The same problem is happening with a friend of mine which hast Windows Vista 64 bits as well, so itīs clear that the guilty is the S.O.

In fact, I have no issues executing Scenario Viewer under Windows XP 32 bits.

Anyway, thank you very much, parmenio, for your kind help.

One question: have you tried yourself to try the program under Windows Vista 64 bits?

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 17
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 4/8/2011 7:39:49 PM   
parmenio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseph_Nevsky

One question: have you tried yourself to try the program under Windows Vista 64 bits?

Sadly no. I skipped Vista entirely staying with XP until Windows 7 came out.

Post #: 18
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 5/3/2011 11:24:16 PM   
2Fre

Hi parmenio,
I'm trying to use your viewer 2.4 version but it crashes when opening a .sce file.
I'm using Win7 64 bits.
Any idea of what I could do to get it works ?
Thanks

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 19
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 5/4/2011 8:44:56 PM   
parmenio

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2Fre

Hi parmenio,
I'm trying to use your viewer 2.4 version but it crashes when opening a .sce file.
I'm using Win7 64 bits.
Any idea of what I could do to get it works ?
Thanks

Can you tell me what error message you get (if any)?

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit myself.

(in reply to 2Fre)
Post #: 20
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 5/13/2011 4:46:50 AM   
Anthony_MatrixForum

Hi all

Hey Parmenio, This sounds similar to a problem i was having with loading SCE files.

I had a problem when using programs built on Larry's DLL for reading scenarios....

If I hard-coded a reference (filename string) to a scenario and used Scenario.ReadScenario(filename) it would work

If I used a FileDialog to get the filename and then Scenario.ReadScenario(filename) it would die , badly, with some form of corrupted heap that was impossible (for me) to debug. I sent an email or to to Larry about this, but had no luck, and Larry "cannot" send me the code or debugging (PDB) files to help sort the problem.

To me, the only obvious differnece is how the filename input string might be allocated and then used in the DLL, but without more debugging information from Larry, i am stuck.

It appeared, that some windows update might be the cause; i suspect this as the ScenarioViewer works fine on a Vanilla win 7 install. Once all the Win7 security patchss are applied, then the problem strikes. I have not checked this for 3 months, and win7 SP1 may have fixed the problem, will check when i get home.

BTW: The problem occurs with Win 7, 32 bit.

It works fine in all cases in Win XP

< Message edited by Anthony -- 5/13/2011 4:49:21 AM >

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 21
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 5/22/2011 8:31:57 PM   
parmenio

Anthony,

I'm assuming you mean Ralph rather than Larry :-)

Thing is, I definitely don't have a "vanilla" Windows 7 installed either here or at work. Both are Windows 64-bit OS's and both have all updates applied - security and otherwise. Neither of them exhibit this problem.

I'm leaning toward an issue with the Visual C++ run-times. Both of my Windows 7 boxes have Visual Studio 2008 installed with whatever versions of those DLLs and neither crash.

(in reply to Anthony_MatrixForum)
Post #: 22
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 5/23/2011 6:41:57 AM   
Anthony_MatrixForum

Arrghh

Of course, I mean Ralph

I think you are probably right about the runtimes being the problem

I am about to go to Win7 here at work, so I will get another sample ...

Anthony

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 23
RE: Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer - 5/25/2011 1:50:37 AM   
Anthony_MatrixForum

Well

I have finally managed to retest after installing SP1 for windows 7
It now (almost) works again ! - well it gets through the Ralph's Scenario.ReadScenario(filename) code
Now I had a new problem that did not appear before , but have also found the fix for that.

..... WARNING code stuff follows .....

My problem was with xmlserialisers and XSD generated code that _sometimes_ give rise to unhandled exceptions...

I use Ralph's code to read the XML, then use a System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer to read the XML, deserialising it into XSD generated classes such as "GAME" etc.

The code sometimes bails out in the Deserialize method, complaining about a missing file.
If this sounds like it could be a posisble problem, then PM me for more details, as there i found a fix for my problem...

Cheers
Anthony

< Message edited by Anthony -- 5/27/2011 1:14:00 AM >

(in reply to Anthony_MatrixForum)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Problem with TOAW Scenario Viewer Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI