Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Guy, Tactics

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> New Guy, Tactics Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Guy, Tactics - 12/28/2000 5:29:00 AM   
CINC Patrick

I am brand new to SPWAW but have always enjoyed a good wargame and am quite a history buff. This game comes highly recommended to me by a friend and I have been browsing the forums here and it would seem that it is quite fun. I was just wondering if any of you could offer some BASIC tips. I have noticed that many of these discussions can become quite in depth but I just want some of the basics for now. Thanks for all of your help. Later, Patrick

Post #: 1
- 12/28/2000 5:54:00 AM   
Don Doom

Just for starters, you need to have a balenced force of armor,infanty, & artillary. A good mix[combined arms force], will enable you to handle just about anything that your oponet can through at you. Well maybe not what Mr Wild Bill can dream up. Start with the beginners battle and learn from it. Then try some of the battles that are in the game. In other words just try a mix of tanks,infanty and artillary and work up to what works best with your style. You can use the search engin here to find the post on tactics, which will list some good books on tactics your can use. Rommals and Guderians books come to mind. Good Luck Don D.

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to CINC Patrick)
Post #: 2
- 12/28/2000 6:01:00 AM   
CINC Patrick

Thanks Don D. Am still downloading but will try that when I finish. Also do I need to download various scenarios to play the game or are there games/campaigns/scenarios in the downloaded version (4.5)?

Post #: 3
- 12/28/2000 6:35:00 AM   
Huffy

Oh...there are scenarieos a plenty with the game download...plus some campains...and numerous scenario and campain extra downloads you can get and install...you'll be busy...and you'll have a blast. This forum is very helpful and friendly,...so...you have questions...feel free to ask....and welcome... Huffy

Post #: 4
- 12/28/2000 7:36:00 AM   
Dave_R

Stay away from any scenario or Campaigne created by Wild Bill (grins) Not until you've got the hang of the game! He writes lean, mean battles. If you want to know what it feels like to be a piece of meat in a meat grinder, then play his Watchword Freedom Campaigne! (Runs and hides from WB!)

Post #: 5
- 12/28/2000 7:48:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Ah, Dave, you killed the "shock" effect ! Patrick there are probably 70 or so scenarios with the game and at least 2 campaigns, Heroes of the Motherland, and Preparing the Way. I suggest you begin using the tutorial that comes in the manual and playing the tutorial scenario (the first one) Now for some excellent scenarios that are not included in the game, book mark these sites: The Matrix SPWAW Game Depot - Here you find new scenarios and maps if you later choose to design your own. http://www.matrixgames.com/gamedepotacces.asp ----------------------- Rick Cloutier's SPWAW Support Site - Good for maps, scenarios, new icons and other things pertaining to SPWAW... http://tankhead__1.tripod.com/ ------------------------- Fabio Prado's Armorsite, with all kinds of good gaming support for SPWAW and other games. http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/sp_waw.htm -------------------------- Bonzo's great site for SPWAW and a Canadian perspective on the war http://nwbattalion.tripod.com/ --------------------- Sarge's site also great and supporting SPWAW http://www.geocities.com/aurion_eq/index.html And here are two good sites that are constantly offering new scenarios and campaigns Wild Bill and the Raiders http://wbr.thegamers.net The Steel Panthers Arsenal http://sparsenal.thegamers.net ----------------------------- For some good articles on tactics (till Larry Holt has his ready ), go to the SP Arsenal Armory and read those tactics articles by Marc Bellizzi. They are very helpful. http://sparsenal.thegamers.net/armory.asp -------------------------- Now that should be enough to keep you busy for years Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 6
- 12/28/2000 7:53:00 AM   
CINC Patrick

Two more questions. Do I need to download the manual seperate? And, what exactly is a hero? Also thanks for all of those sites. Am about halfway through the download process. It has been about 3-4 hours so far, so it should be done sometime late tonite (I hope).

Post #: 7
- 12/28/2000 8:51:00 AM   
MindSpy

quote:

Originally posted by CINC Patrick: Two more questions. Do I need to download the manual seperate? And, what exactly is a hero? Also thanks for all of those sites. Am about halfway through the download process. It has been about 3-4 hours so far, so it should be done sometime late tonite (I hope).
A HERO is someone who does what you need to be done without your direct involvement - succeeds - causes others to do what needs to be done - succeeds in various degrees and at no point was he ordered or expected to do as much as was done. Learning how to play SP:WAW pretty much requires some amount of being the HERO if you are learning from scratch and want to become good quickly and still enjoy playing the game just to learn. The best advice that I can think of comes from my days as a twelve year old playing with Squad Leader's: Cross of Iron. The game is similar up to a point with SP:WAW except it was made of cardboard and required alot of lucky dice nearby to keep things H E R O I C (the style of play I liked most as a youngster). In this game the rules were programmed. So much at a time, and units in pre-made scenarios to illustrate the units and rules/combat gradually progressing to greater and greater complexity within a simple game system. When you finally have the game and you are not tired or just reading the rules GO DIRECTLY TO THE SCENARIO EDITOR FROM HOTSEAT PLAY. Always use the same format when you go to play. Select only certain units. Place them close together on the smallest map you can make and then go at it taking turns being each side. Short of someone teaching you in person you just can't do any better than to just play WITH CONSTRAINTS YOU CREATE and then just learn from them !!

Post #: 8
- 12/28/2000 9:00:00 AM   
CINC Patrick

So is a hero someone that is in a unit that you control? 213 MB Downloaded. Getting close by the minute.

Post #: 9
- 12/28/2000 9:22:00 AM   
CINC Patrick

My computer froze and I lost all of my work, is there anyway to recover my 200 and something MB's of files and resume from there?

Post #: 10
- 12/28/2000 9:28:00 AM   
CINC Patrick

It will take 7.5 hours at my current rate to download the whole thing again.

Post #: 11
- 12/28/2000 10:06:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Patrick, I hope you are using a download program. This is very important. In the case of a computer freeze, a download program will save what you already have and resume when you go back to the download. It will also give you a better guarantee of getting the entire program. Nothing worse than getting "nearly" all of it. Good luck! WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 12
- 12/28/2000 10:33:00 AM   
CINC Patrick

I am not using a download program. Is there a way to start using one once the download has already beugn? If so where can I get one?

Post #: 13
- 12/28/2000 10:55:00 AM   
kao16

quote:

Originally posted by CINC Patrick: I am not using a download program. Is there a way to start using one once the download has already beugn? If so where can I get one?
My understaning is NO. The download programme manages the download and must be running from the start. The Matrix site links to GetRight - this seems to nbe one of the more popular download managers (tis cheap at zilch for the one that shows ads)

Post #: 14
- 12/28/2000 12:12:00 PM   
Pack Rat

For starters play against the computer, get comfortable with the buttons. Give yourself some equal points as the computer and setup a defensive game, decrease the points as you get better. Try different units, read the encyclopedia as a bed time story, KNOW YOUR ENEMY. MOve to the delay game, then to the meeting and so on. About the time your into the meeting game hook up to Combat Command and start meeting fellow gamers and have even more fun. Good hunting. ------------------ Your mine is a terrible thing to lose. Pack Rat

PR

Post #: 15
- 12/28/2000 12:21:00 PM   
Pack Rat

Oh yeah, as far as an actual tactic goes, there are several I use depending. The one I like best is engage keep em busy but thrust else where. Pick your spot for the engagement becuase some tanks/units you just can't stand toe to toe with, shoot and scoot in other words. You'll also be surprised at the fear smoke can invoke, add a little real HE and you'll have made the enemy commit to that area for an expected attack, strike else where. Anything you can read that happened for real will transfer nicely to SPWaW and don't mean just WW2 tactics. ------------------ Your mine is a terrible thing to lose. Pack Rat

PR

Post #: 16
- 12/28/2000 12:28:00 PM   
CINC Patrick

Well it messed up, again. However, I did download Gozilla and not only will it save it if it screws up but it is going much faster. It says that it will only take 2 hours to complete and am already 40% done with 1:15 till completion. I should be able to play tomorrow and will just let it go thorough the night. Thanks for all the help everyone. Will keep in touch. Patrick

Post #: 17
- 12/28/2000 12:35:00 PM   
Drex

CINC Patrick another definition of a Hero is the one used by Tankhead on his site: A "Hero" has acquired 2o or more kills in a scenario or 50 or more kills ina campaign. Once you have a hero you can submit him to Tankheads site for proper decoration and admission to his "Valhalla". truly an accomplishment to have a hero.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

Post #: 18
- 12/28/2000 12:56:00 PM   
Captn_Jack

quote:

Originally posted by Pack Rat: For starters play against the computer, get comfortable with the buttons. Give yourself some equal points as the computer and setup a defensive game, decrease the points as you get better. Try different units, read the encyclopedia as a bed time story, KNOW YOUR ENEMY. MOve to the delay game, then to the meeting and so on. About the time your into the meeting game hook up to Combat Command and start meeting fellow gamers and have even more fun. Good hunting.
PR...you forgot to tell him that once he moves onto human competition, to throw everything he learned while playing the AI out the window...cause it's a whole new ballgame! CJ

M(1)&M(9)'s...they melt in your tank...not in your hand!

Post #: 19
- 12/28/2000 3:55:00 PM   
skukko

And after played few games pbem or online, he ain't never getting back to AI opponent. Except for soulfeeding: Buy lot's of best and kill every AI:s men. It's something that is hard to do against human. Welcome to the crew. mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

Post #: 20
- 12/28/2000 10:56:00 PM   
CINC Patrick

Well, when I woke up this morning it was finished. So I hurried up and showered and now here I am. The long awaited moment. I am about to dive in. Wish me luck.

Post #: 21
- 12/29/2000 1:26:00 AM   
CINC Patrick

I just went into the tutorial but there was nothing there telling me what to do so I just fought. My score is below (I was US) US Army: 3682 Germany: 1401 How is that?

Post #: 22
- 12/29/2000 1:36:00 AM   
CINC Patrick

Oh yeah I had trouble moing an AT gun, how do I move them. And once a vehicle has been abandoned can you put the crew back in it? There was another question to but I forgot.

Post #: 23
- 12/29/2000 1:53:00 AM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by CINC Patrick: Oh yeah I had trouble moing an AT gun, how do I move them. And once a vehicle has been abandoned can you put the crew back in it? There was another question to but I forgot.
To put a crew back in a vehicle, just move them onto the vehicle. Once they have been on top of it with low suppression, they will recrew it by themselves. Note that only the original crew can recrew a vehicle. Crew M51 from a PzKwIIIe can not recrew any other PzKwIIIe execept M5, etc. Most AT guns have a small movement allowance but not all do (e.g. the German 88 does not). highlight the AT gun then right click or hit the space bar to show its stats. The movement allowance is listed there. Once an AT gun fires, it looses all its movement points for the rest of the turn. They can not fire then move. However, due to a bug (or design decision) they can move then fire! ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

Never take counsel of your fears.

Post #: 24
- 12/29/2000 2:11:00 AM   
CINC Patrick

Ok Thanks for the help. Also is there any way to CAPTURE an enemy unit? And if you surrender can it just be a unit or is it the whole army. One more thing. How do you accumulate points so that you can get reinforcements?

Post #: 25
- 12/29/2000 2:55:00 AM   
lnp4668

Enemy units will surrender if they can not retreat at least one hex away from the closest unit. Surrender will end the battle at that point Reinforcement are purchase using 20% of the original battle points allotment. They are requested in the HQ screen. BTW, try to read the manual when you have time. I also tends to wade in, get myself bloody, then pull out the manual to really learn the game.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

Post #: 26
- 12/29/2000 3:09:00 AM   
Tombstone

Reconnaisance is critical. In a game with fog of war the responsibility of recon lies on player. Without information you can't formulate your actions in an informed manner. There are a lot things you can do doctrinally to minimize the negative effects of 'not knowing' but if you are able to obtain a clear picture of your situation then you can do all kinds of things wrong and still win. From there, I think playing pbem against others is the way to learn fast and hard. Tomo

Post #: 27
- 12/29/2000 3:30:00 AM   
CINC Patrick

So how do I find the original battle points allotment? And what are the best units for recon? Are there specialized recon units or is there an extremely expendable unit to use?

Post #: 28
- 12/29/2000 3:57:00 AM   
CINC Patrick

Also would you recommend getting Roger Wilco, and what is BattleCom?

Post #: 29
- 12/29/2000 10:14:00 PM   
Billy Yank

CINC, The instructions for the tutorial are in the manual. It's best to print out those pages and play along on your computer. You move the larger AT-Guns by loading them into a vehicle. Look at the unit information for the gun. The attribute called "Carry Cost" is what you're looking for. Now look at the unit info for a vehicle and look for "Carry Capacity". The capacity of a vehicle must be greater than or equal to the cost of the gun for this vehicle to carry that gun. There's no way to capture an enemy unit. You can't order a single unit to surrender, you can only surrender your entire force. Accumulating points is only meaningful in a campaign. You can call for reinforcements in a scenario as Inp posted. In a campaign, you get points at the end of each battle that allow you to repair or upgrade your core units. ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Billy Yank
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> New Guy, Tactics Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI