Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SLC = 15K VP?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> SLC = 15K VP? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SLC = 15K VP? - 6/6/2011 2:33:25 AM   
ADB123

While idly checking out base VP values on the map I was stopped in my tracks when I happened to look at Salt Lake City. The base is worth 15000 Victory Points to the Japanese!

Sure, you might think - just who is going to be able to capture SLC?

But think about it, a crafty Japanese player could land at Coos Bay, which is fairly isolated and unlikely to be defended by an Allied player. Coos Bay starts out with a Level 2 Air Field. If the Japanese player brought along several Paratroop Regiments, and a couple of long range Transport Plane Squadrons, he could drop the Paratroops on SLC (and at Ogden, to block the nearest Railroad base), fly in a Base Force, fly in some supply and Fighter planes, and hold the base until the 15K points took effect.

Do that late enough in 1942 and the Japanese player could get an auto victory...

Hmmm...
Post #: 1
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/6/2011 3:06:14 AM   
Numdydar

Try it and send us the screenshot

(in reply to ADB123)
Post #: 2
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/6/2011 3:07:17 AM   
crsutton

Yep, I think you have the makings of one great AAR there...

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 3
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/6/2011 3:42:00 AM   
topeverest

Yup,

Just try to get there...I personally like haveing all the bases in USA worth similar amounts. ALMOST makes it worth going for if you are playing strict VP's!

Andy M

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/6/2011 4:32:58 AM   
wdolson

The Allies get extra units if the Japanese land troops on the US West Coast. 

It would be interesting to try, but I doubt you could succeed, even against the AI.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 5
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/6/2011 6:28:42 AM   
Fallschirmjager

I didn't know AE had a Mormon development team.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 6
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/6/2011 1:56:23 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

It would be interesting to try, but I doubt you could succeed, even against the AI.

Bill

Only south of Vancouver.

There have been discussions here and in PM about a North American campaign moving across Canada, then south, avoiding activation until the last moment. Crazy risky yes, but it would be interesting. Against the AI it might work.

And strat bombing of the Seatac area is possible from north of the line as well, for strat bombing VPs.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 6/6/2011 1:57:16 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 7
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/6/2011 3:57:45 PM   
crsutton

Not only do the Allies get reinforcement but they have a two or three armor divisions that are restricted to the east coast. Even though they only have M3 grant tanks, that is like facing king tigers to anything the Japanese could muster. My experience is that attacking Allied armor with Japanese infantry or tanks is a no go. Even 4 or 5 to 1 AV odds seems to be an exercise in futility. Man, would I love an opportunity to use a full armored division vs my Japanese opponents. My guess is that an invasion of the West Coast would be a disaster.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 8
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/6/2011 4:05:21 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

My guess is that an invasion of the West Coast would be a disaster.

I largely agree, except in the case of perfect timing when a 15k VP bag of a SLC happens a week before auto-vic time, or similar. There's no way the Japanese could take any substantial portion of continental NA and hold it.

Bombing Seatac from an off-shore northern air base could work, for a while.

The Moose

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 9
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/6/2011 4:57:37 PM   
LoBaron

This is a gamble, and even then can only be accomplished after a PzB-like string of victories against the USN.

You´d have about every air unit stationed on the WC for training or PP reasons against you, and at the end of 42 theres many of those around.
Countering this you´d have to get a damaged airbase operational - or use Mavis flying boats for the shuttle, which is your most precious transport asset.
You would have to assume that SLC is completely undefended (in my case it is not, its a training base with at least some AV for defense from a base force)
and fly in troops with high fatigue because of the long journey on amphibs and the landing.
The conquest has to happen fast - I will CAP/LRCAP SLC as soon as I got the slightest indication of Japanese troops dropping on the place and have every unit
in strat mode moving there in no time, so this will have to suffice in 2 days in case you play 2 day turns.

The cost in troops would be "low" in theory, but must at least contain a base force to support a transport plane fleet, enough ground troops to hold Coos Bay, and
all crack paras you can muster to drop on SLC AND Ogden.
The cost in ships would be much higher than ground troops, and in my opinion needs complete naval domination as a prerequisite, so its only an option in case you were
able to give the USN a trashing before the operation starts.

I´d give such an operation a pretty low probability of success, even against an Allied player with no experience. You depend on too many things you cannot know in
advance, and thats a pretty bad argument to burn tons of fuel to move a major part of the Japanese navy all the way to WC.

You need to take risks to win as the Japanese player, but as I said at the beginning, this is a gamble.

(in reply to ADB123)
Post #: 10
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/6/2011 8:13:19 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

Do that late enough in 1942 and the Japanese player could get an auto victory...

I send many my restricted units that cant be bought out to SLC and other cities for two reasons; mainly to get them out of the way but also to prevent what you just mentioned. Any JFB that tried that with me might find an armored division there. Eventually most are withdrawn such as those two armored divisions that show up on the WC but that is in 44.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to ADB123)
Post #: 11
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/6/2011 9:02:41 PM   
wdolson

I think there are two schools of thought going on here.  The original post suggested landing at Coos Bay, OR which would trigger the US extra forces.  Landing in Canada would not, but a Canadian operation would still put you a long ways from SLC.

Even without the extra reinforcements triggered, the US gets a lot of forces in 1942 intended for somewhere in the Pacific, those would be showing up and immediately available to attack Japanese forces trying to make their way across Canada.  Canada also has a home defense army that would have to be contended with.

I remember back in the WitP days I think it was Mogami who had a bet that he could successfully take San Francisco.  He did an AAR on it.  It was a well planned operation, but it ultimately failed.

I'd love to see an AAR on a US invasion in AE.  I think even with a special scenario with a weakened USN from the start it would be very difficult, but I think it would be a fascinating read.

Bill

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 12
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/6/2011 9:36:13 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

Far as Babes goes, Joe Lief is Mormon, Jenny is Mormon, MO ain't quite Mormon, but Joe's working on it. I'm Catholic and we we have an Orthodox Jew (sideburns and everything) in the mix. There's Marines from every possible religious persuasion.

Martin Luther would be proud.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 13
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/6/2011 11:12:40 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

Far as Babes goes, Joe Lief is Mormon, Jenny is Mormon, MO ain't quite Mormon, but Joe's working on it. I'm Catholic and we we have an Orthodox Jew (sideburns and everything) in the mix. There's Marines from every possible religious persuasion.

Martin Luther would be proud.

I'm a Druid.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 14
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/6/2011 11:56:50 PM   
Sredni

Looking at it objectively you would think the japanese attacking mainland america would accrue negative victory points.

I'm not even an amateur historian, and it's not even my own country but... if japanese attacked american home soil wouldn't it have resulted in massive redeployment with a shift in priority from europe to aisa. And if suing for peace was the original japanese goal an attack on america itself (instead of just some foreign territories the average joe couldn't give two figs for) would be very counterproductive.

If the japanese invaded and held (for any length of time) actual towns/cities on continental USA, with the inevitable atrocities perpetrated by the japanese army wherever it went, I don't see any result but a much more terrible outcome then historical for japan.

(in reply to ADB123)
Post #: 15
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/7/2011 12:05:05 AM   
bigred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Try it and send us the screenshot

lol

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 16
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/7/2011 12:06:16 AM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ADB123

A perfect example of the kind of nonsense engendered by "Victory Points" and "auto-victory conditions". Basically it encourages a "to He11 with reality..., let's find a loophole and try to weasel through it" style of play...

(in reply to ADB123)
Post #: 17
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/7/2011 12:17:47 AM   
wdolson

And players also have the option to ignore victory points and keep playing as long as they want.  They are there for those who want the closure of having a declared victor but victory can be an open ended question too.

Ultimately, this is a game and games have victory conditions.

Bill

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 18
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/7/2011 2:00:18 AM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

And players also have the option to ignore victory points and keep playing as long as they want.  They are there for those who want the closure of having a declared victor but victory can be an open ended question too.

Ultimately, this is a game and games have victory conditions.

Bill

Yes they do, Bill. But the "auto-victory" of January 1st, 1943 belongs to a game where the Japanese DID NOT launch a surprise attack without declaring war and killing Americans. And that scenario is not in this game....

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 19
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/7/2011 3:09:11 AM   
caaraa

Post #: 20
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/8/2011 4:57:52 AM   
AcePylut9

You know all those restricted US armor and inf divs in the white West Coast (R) hq's? I turned their reinforcements off and railed them to slc at the start of the war and promptly forgot about them. Please invade SLC with mininal weenie forces, so I'z can shock attack those suicidal empire soldiers into oblivian. :D

(in reply to caaraa)
Post #: 21
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/8/2011 4:41:27 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ADB123

A perfect example of the kind of nonsense engendered by "Victory Points" and "auto-victory conditions". Basically it encourages a "to He11 with reality..., let's find a loophole and try to weasel through it" style of play...

Yep, no fan of auto victory. It just ruins the game. There would have been no autovictory in the real deal....

I like to see the whole campaign played out. Don't worry about VP at all. I will know in the end if I have been whipped....

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 22
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/14/2011 8:09:36 PM   
Smeulders

A small necro, but dud anyone notice that the emergency reinforcements for the USA arrive in Salt Lake City ? That's 4 divisions arriving at the target the day you get ashore. Good luck to the paratroopers.

The AE-Wiki, help fill it out

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 23
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/14/2011 9:26:49 PM   
Rainer

crsutton:

quote:

auto victory. It just ruins the game.

It does not ruin the game. Not at all. We all know that.
Potentially misleading for newbies.

< Message edited by Rainer -- 6/14/2011 9:33:10 PM >

WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 24
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/14/2011 11:29:21 PM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rainer

crsutton:

quote:

It does not ruin the game.

It easily can ruin the game by encouraging the Japanese player to throw caution to the wind and try crazy things to achieve it. Then if it doesn't work, he quits on January 2nd, 1943. That ruins the game.

(in reply to Rainer)
Post #: 25
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/14/2011 11:37:19 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rainer

crsutton:

quote:

It does not ruin the game.

It easily can ruin the game by encouraging the Japanese player to throw caution to the wind and try crazy things to achieve it. Then if it doesn't work, he quits on January 2nd, 1943. That ruins the game.

If so, that's a fault of the player, not the game.

The Moose

Post #: 26
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/15/2011 12:36:00 AM   
Rainer

Mike Scholl:

quote:

What a wonderful piece of applied logic

< Message edited by Rainer -- 6/15/2011 12:37:15 AM >

WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta

Post #: 27
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/15/2011 1:01:09 AM   
wdolson

quote:

There is a very easy way around it. It's called "house rules". If you don't like the VP thing, only play with players who agree to keep playing regardless of auto victory. IMO, you're making a mountain out of something I wouldn't even call a molehill. It's an option you can ignore.

Bill

Post #: 28
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/15/2011 2:00:54 AM   
erstad

quote:

quote:

There is a very easy way around it. It's called "house rules". If you don't like the VP thing, only play with players who agree to keep playing regardless of auto victory. IMO, you're making a mountain out of something I wouldn't even call a molehill. It's an option you can ignore.

Bill

Exactly. In witp-classic I had two autovictories, but in both cases offered to play on. One opponent took me up (and we went to March 1946) and the other decided he was done. But it's a good think to discuss up front to make sure expectations are matched.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 29
RE: SLC = 15K VP? - 6/15/2011 2:39:31 AM   
AcePylut9

There's no way to force a player to continue playing.  House Rules or not.  So if a Japanese player wants to try it and agrees to a HR of no auto-victory, that doesn't mean he won't quit on Jan 2, '43

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> SLC = 15K VP? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI