Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

GGWAW and GGWBTS. Mechanics

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> GGWAW and GGWBTS. Mechanics Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
GGWAW and GGWBTS. Mechanics - 6/4/2011 7:23:49 PM   
Templer_12

Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided, and Gary Grigsby's War Between the States. Mechanics.

On the screenshots both games seem to be identical to the game mechanics.

In other words, I already own Gary Grigsby's War Between the States if I would buy War Gary Grigsby's World at: A World Divided, I would get the same game on the mechanics side, only with different characters?

There are also a chess game with different characters sets. However, it remains chess.

Post #: 1
RE: GGWAW and GGWBTS. Mechanics - 6/4/2011 10:49:58 PM   
rjh1971

Imo GGWaW AWD divided is much better than GGWBTS, it is faster too play and more thrilling, there are no leaders and no initiative to gain to commit your units into battle. But there are supplies to worry about, subwarfare, aeronaval operations and land warfare, also technology and spies, not to forget you have to carefully plan your production.
I also have to say that WW2 is my favourite history period for wargames, while the ACW says almost nothing to me. I would recomend you buying this game, the big thing is playing against a human oponent and here you may have problems finding one since the forum is kinda of dead, it's the only con.
Read the many AARs that have been written and you will quickly see the differences.

Regards.

< Message edited by rjh1971 -- 6/7/2011 9:43:16 PM >

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 2
RE: GGWAW and GGWBTS. Mechanics - 6/7/2011 9:08:28 PM   
JanSorensen

Several years ago I was lucky enough to be part of developing both those games - the gameplay differs greatly.

In WBTS you have lots and lots of units each of which matter less - while commanders and managing initiative is the name of the game. In WaW AWD you have fewer units and the placement of every single unit matters greatly (in PBEM more than agains the AI but still). You might say that AWD is a game full of decision making (a bit like chess though with more units and luck) while WBTS is more a game of micromanaging your army to get the most out of the initiative you get.

Also, playing the game as Russia is far differently from playing as Japan so you more or less get 4 games (Germany, Russia, USA+CW and Japan) that each play quite differently.

Heck, I just found my dusty copy of WaW AWD and am playing it again - and its still good fun and honestly a real challenge even against the AI if you play at Hard setting (Normal is for learning the game, Challenging when you have learned and Hard is where you will pride yourself if you win).

< Message edited by JanSorensen -- 6/7/2011 9:12:42 PM >

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 3
RE: GGWAW and GGWBTS. Mechanics - 6/7/2011 9:42:54 PM   
rjh1971

Hi Jan, long time not seen you

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to JanSorensen)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> GGWAW and GGWBTS. Mechanics Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI