Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CS to CVL conversion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> CS to CVL conversion Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CS to CVL conversion - 6/10/2011 1:07:49 AM   
Numdydar

In 12/42 two CSs (Mizuho and Nisshin) can convert to CVLs. I happened to have one in Tokyo and the other in Singapore on that date. The one in Tokyo started conversion but the one in Singapore did not. Plenty of supplies in Singapore (30K+)

After a bit I sent the one from Singapore to Hiro as I could not figure out why it would not convert in Singapore as according to the upgrade requirements the Yard was big enough and as far as I knew 30K of supplies should be sufficent. So I get to Hiro (which has an even bigger yard than Singapore and even more supplies), and still no conversion. Leave it there for a bit as everyone knows that doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result is the trait of a wise person .

Finally come to my senses and get the damn thing to Tokyo where it starts the conversion the next turn with no problem. So here are my questions.

a) is there anywhere you are told that these two conversions HAVE to be done in Tokyo and no where else? All other conversions for other ship classes have worked fine in all sorts of different ports outside of Japan.
or
b) If the conversions can happen at other locations, what are the requirements needed as everything I could find told me I was fine in both Sinapore and Hiro?

Any help with this would be appriciated.

< Message edited by Numdydar -- 6/10/2011 1:08:30 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/10/2011 1:15:50 AM   
Don Bowen

There is a special condition for ships the CONVERT to carriers or battleships. The Conversion can be done in the Home Port (i.e. Tokyo) and a few other very large ports. Don't recall the exact limitation but Tokyo is best.

I believe this was an anti-cheat rule based on experience with WITP.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 2
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/10/2011 1:49:57 AM   
Numdydar

While good to know now lol, how would a new player be able to find this info out BEFORE they need to do a conversion?

Also I HAVE been able to convert CAs and below in non-home ports like Hong Kong, Singapore Shanghi, etc with no issues which is why this one took me by surprice. It was just by luck I had one of the two in Toyko. Otherwise, both would have been sailing around trying randomly  to find a port that would allow them to convert.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 3
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/10/2011 3:15:59 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

While good to know now lol, how would a new player be able to find this info out BEFORE they need to do a conversion?

Also I HAVE been able to convert CAs and below in non-home ports like Hong Kong, Singapore Shanghi, etc with no issues which is why this one took me by surprice. It was just by luck I had one of the two in Toyko. Otherwise, both would have been sailing around trying randomly  to find a port that would allow them to convert.

On most ships all you need is a repair shipyard of the appropriate size. However, some of the capital ships have special rules as Don pointed out. That's why your smaller ships can convert anywhere with a RSY (IE Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, etc).

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 4
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/10/2011 3:48:21 AM   
Numdydar

Sure I get that, but as this is not in the manual (at least I couldn't find it) and other than posting the question here, is there anywhere else this information is to be found? Or is this just something that everyone has to find out on their own (which would really s*** btw)?

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 5
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/10/2011 4:02:41 AM   
John 3rd

Heck...I've had Chitose and Chiyoda sitting in Kobe for a month with no action. Guess I need to move them to Tokyo...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 6
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/10/2011 4:05:53 AM   
Numdydar

I feel much better now that I am not alone

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 7
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/10/2011 4:16:45 AM   
John 3rd

I THOUGHT the Port and repair yard were plenty big enough! Crapppy. Will move them next turn!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 8
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/10/2011 4:27:13 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Heck...I've had Chitose and Chiyoda sitting in Kobe for a month with no action. Guess I need to move them to Tokyo...

Just wagering a guess, but Tokyo, Osaka, or Kure seems like they would be good candidates for the conversions to take place. Yokosuka might work as well. These 4 places historically had large shipyards available (remember, Yamato and Musashi were fitted out in Kure).

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 9
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/10/2011 5:18:44 AM   
PaxMondo

The only place I know the CS will convert is Tokyo.  There may be others, but I haven't found them yet.

Pax

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 10
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/10/2011 4:50:10 PM   
John 3rd

We shall find out. I just moved my CS to Tokyo.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 11
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/10/2011 5:23:44 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

In 12/42 two CSs (Mizuho and Nisshin) can convert to CVLs. I happened to have one in Tokyo and the other in Singapore on that date. The one in Tokyo started conversion but the one in Singapore did not. Plenty of supplies in Singapore (30K+)

After a bit I sent the one from Singapore to Hiro as I could not figure out why it would not convert in Singapore as according to the upgrade requirements the Yard was big enough and as far as I knew 30K of supplies should be sufficent. So I get to Hiro (which has an even bigger yard than Singapore and even more supplies), and still no conversion. Leave it there for a bit as everyone knows that doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result is the trait of a wise person .

Finally come to my senses and get the damn thing to Tokyo where it starts the conversion the next turn with no problem. So here are my questions.

a) is there anywhere you are told that these two conversions HAVE to be done in Tokyo and no where else? All other conversions for other ship classes have worked fine in all sorts of different ports outside of Japan.
or
b) If the conversions can happen at other locations, what are the requirements needed as everything I could find told me I was fine in both Sinapore and Hiro?

Any help with this would be appriciated.

Hi Numdyar,

I believe consensus on this is that Mizuho and Nisshin can be converted elsewhere in the Empire (with suitable port size, supply, naval support, etc.), but Chitose and Chiyoda seem to be hard coded to have to be done at Tokyo.

When in doubt, Tokyo will do it, but you may be able to get some of the others done elsewhere to spread the love (and the work!) around.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 12
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/10/2011 5:35:07 PM   
hunchback77

This is what I found in my notes guys. Conversions for the Chitose and Chiyoda are November. The Mizuho and Nishin are December. You need to have a minimum shipyard size of 50. And for the Chiyoda and Chitose you need to be in Tokyo.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 13
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/10/2011 7:21:51 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: hunchback77

This is what I found in my notes guys. Conversions for the Chitose and Chiyoda are November. The Mizuho and Nishin are December. You need to have a minimum shipyard size of 50. And for the Chiyoda and Chitose you need to be in Tokyo.

Instead of Yokosuka (Chiyoda) and Sasebo (Chitose)???

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to hunchback77)
Post #: 14
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/10/2011 7:26:49 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: hunchback77

Instead of Yokosuka (Chiyoda) and Sasebo (Chitose)???

Herwin,

I tried to upgrade these two CS in Hiroshima, Kobe and Osaka-in that order. No joy. Only when moved to Tokyo did they 'take'. In my game, Hiroshima has the largest repair yard and the most naval support (and size 10 port). No reason it shouldn't have 'taken' there, unless it was hard coded for Tokyo. Others have reported something similar.

Without betraying too much OPSEC, I was able to upgrade the other two aforementioned CS elsewhere, not necessarily on the home islands either.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 15
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/10/2011 9:11:58 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
I tried to upgrade these two CS in Hiroshima, Kobe and Osaka-in that order. No joy. Only when moved to Tokyo did they 'take'. In my game, Hiroshima has the largest repair yard and the most naval support (and size 10 port). No reason it shouldn't have 'taken' there, unless it was hard coded for Tokyo. Others have reported something similar.

Without betraying too much OPSEC, I was able to upgrade the other two aforementioned CS elsewhere, not necessarily on the home islands either.

Ok, minucious gallus domesticus, here ya be. You are gonna have to be the keeper of this, since it's been posted a gazillion times, but nobody bothers to look, and I'm getting tired, and so tag, you're it.

"UPGRADES" from one class to another ( i.e, CS to CVE) need to be done at Tokyo. It's a code thing. Don't give a rat's patoot what the whiners say, it's a code thing, and that's it. "CONVERSIONS" are a bit different; all that's required is time and a BIG shipyard. Maybe we could have done it different, but what the hey ...

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 16
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/10/2011 9:27:19 PM   
Schanilec

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

quote:

Ok, minucious gallus domesticus, here ya be. You are gonna have to be the keeper of this, since it's been posted a gazillion times, but nobody bothers to look, and I'm getting tired, and so tag, you're it.

"UPGRADES" from one class to another ( i.e, CS to CVE) need to be done at Tokyo. It's a code thing. Don't give a rat's patoot what the whiners say, it's a code thing, and that's it. "CONVERSIONS" are a bit different; all that's required is time and a BIG shipyard. Maybe we could have done it different, but what the hey ...

I like the cut of your jib.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 17
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/10/2011 10:20:10 PM   
herwin

quote:

quote:

Or as we used to say, WAD (working as designed).

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 18
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/11/2011 2:41:52 AM   
Numdydar

quote:

quote:

I thank you for that information. Just to make sure I have this straight see the following:

The CS Chitose to CVL is an Upgrade. It uses the standard Upgrade <date available> Yes/No and what class it will upgrade to format on the ship screen. This can ONLY be done in Tokyo.

The CS Mizuho to CVL is a Conversion which can be done anywhere that has the right sized port/repair yard/supplies available. It is clearly marked as Conversion on the ship screen which makes it different than one marked as an Upgrade only.

Please correct me if the above is incorrect. Thanks again for the help.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 19
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/11/2011 12:21:53 PM   
JWE

That is correct. Technically, the Tokyo requirement is only for Upgrades from any class to a CV type class.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 20
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/11/2011 3:44:26 PM   
Numdydar

So my example above is wrong as both the conversion and upgrade of those two specific ships HAVE to be done in Tokyo as they are being converted into CV type ships.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 21
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/11/2011 3:58:21 PM   
JWE

No, your example is correct. People tend to speak in a verbal shorthand and say they are converting, when often they aren't, they are upgrading. "Convert" and "Upgrade" are two very different and distinct animals in the game. In this case, a noun is the name of a thing. Two different names, two different things.

Chitose and Chiyoda "UPGRADE" from CS to CVL; they do NOT "Convert". This Upgrade requires Tokyo.

Nisshin and Mizuho "CONVERT" from CS to CVL; they do NOT "Upgrade". This Conversion requires any port with a 50 shipyard (and supply, and yadda, yadda).

Do not confuse these two different things.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 22
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/11/2011 5:01:44 PM   
Chickenboy

Understood clearly now (finally ). Thanks for the clarification, JWE. I'll reference this discussion for future reference too. Cheers.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 23
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/11/2011 5:47:11 PM   
Shark7

While most of us here will remember this now, why do I get a sneaking suspicion that a few months down the road it will come up again?

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 24
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/11/2011 5:53:15 PM   
Puhis

quote:

Nisshin and Mizuho "CONVERT" from CS to CVL; they do NOT "Upgrade". This Conversion requires any port with a 50 shipyard (and supply, and yadda, yadda).

Actually, it's just port with a 25 shipyard.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 25
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/11/2011 8:05:27 PM   
John 3rd

Mine upgraded the day after they arrived! Cost me a month....

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 26
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/11/2011 9:43:15 PM   
Mark VII

What do your do with the CS airgroups? Leave em on board and they turn into the CVL's airgroup of zero's and Kate's? Or, if that doesn't happen so take the float plane's off and use them as you use float planes?

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 27
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/12/2011 1:00:47 AM   
John 3rd

I resize them and then pull them for recon/air search/ASW work.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Mark VII)
Post #: 28
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/12/2011 1:52:35 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark VII

What do your do with the CS airgroups? Leave em on board and they turn into the CVL's airgroup of zero's and Kate's? Or, if that doesn't happen so take the float plane's off and use them as you use float planes?

I took mine off and put 'em to use like John suggested. The conversion takes the better part of a calendar year, so those planes can be repurposed during the delay.

(in reply to Mark VII)
Post #: 29
RE: CS to CVL conversion - 6/12/2011 3:45:46 AM   
Mark VII

Where does the new airgroups for the CVL's come from? Is it just carrier capable groups trained up to carrier trained?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> CS to CVL conversion Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI