Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Random Game Setup Help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Random Game Setup Help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Random Game Setup Help - 6/2/2011 3:47:36 PM   
russellesq

Not sure if this is a support or mod question. In any case, I am new to the game and I need some help to setup random games. Is there a way to configure random games to use real Regime Names from WW2 and cities? How about basing a random game off of some of the great scenarios that also include real division names for armies, etc? I could not find this anywhere in the manual, the wiki or this forum. Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Random Game Setup Help - 6/4/2011 7:29:46 PM   
russellesq

No ideas?   Not possible?

(in reply to russellesq)
Post #: 2
RE: Random Game Setup Help - 6/4/2011 9:16:23 PM   
henri51

This has been discussed before on this forum (I don't remember where) and IIRC it can be done by using the editor.

Henri

(in reply to russellesq)
Post #: 3
RE: Random Game Setup Help - 6/5/2011 2:24:24 AM   
springer

I am a total neophyte when it comes to the editor and am content with the names that are given, but if you really want to change regime and city names in a random game, it is a two part process.

First Part (illustrated below):

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by springer -- 6/5/2011 3:01:59 AM >

(in reply to russellesq)
Post #: 4
RE: Random Game Setup Help - 6/5/2011 2:40:41 AM   
springer

Next Part

1. Go into your "Advanced Tactics Gold Directory"
2. Find and backup your "defaultmod.txt" file (i.e., save as "defaultmod.bak")
3. Now modify the original "defaultmod.txt" file changing the linge:
1,6,-415,568,New Random Game,13,generic.at2
to
1,6,-415,568,New Random Game,13,<newfile.at2> putting the name of the file you created in the first step in the place of <newfile.at2>. Now you can play with modified names (or anything else you modified)

(Though I prefer the explanation above, you could have also done step 2 like this: Backup "generic.at2" as "generic.at2.bak" and then replacing "generic.at2" with your changes. You need not touch the defaultmod.txt file at all. However, I don't recommend this method: the changes to the generic.at2 file would affect all other games that depend on that file. )

Now you can play with regime name changes and the cities of your choice. As far as units go, I don't know the editor, It might just be possible one could create a new string variable with historical names and somehow write code to access those names. However, if it is possible, it is far above my very low-level knowledge.

If you are interested in modding random games, look around for older threads by Zaratoughda on the topic, he is the master of modding random games.

Personally, I think it easier to just rename the units of your own regime as you go along. (Why not give that unit that just held out against four attacks an honor designation? Isn't there a special someone in your life that you would love to name that penal battalion after?)

And, it's kind of fun to let the computer charge at you with it's faceless, nameless, ever-increasing masses. (There is something gratifying in knowing that you destroyed the computer regime's infamous 618th Division).

< Message edited by springer -- 6/5/2011 4:29:26 AM >

(in reply to springer)
Post #: 5
RE: Random Game Setup Help - 6/5/2011 6:44:03 PM   
russellesq

Thanks so much! I actually figured this out by myself yesterday before your post. I also figured out a couple of other things that you can do to include in the random game setup. After only owning the game for a week, I am creating a mod that will include the main WW2 regime names along with the relevant WW2 capitols and cities. Also included will be set colors for each regime and a basic description for their HQ and Armies that matches their naming convention. If I get to it, I will followup with a mod that may also include Finland, Italy, Australia, and Canada.

(in reply to springer)
Post #: 6
RE: Random Game Setup Help - 6/12/2011 7:48:01 PM   
T_K

I can't figure out how to predetermine regimes in a random game using my own master file. The game seems to overwrite the regimes I've set in the master file. If so, I understand I could delete all people and regimes except the ones I want used in the random game, however how do I force the game to use only specified colours for these regimes?...

(in reply to russellesq)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Random Game Setup Help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI