Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Multiplayer!?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Multiplayer!? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Multiplayer!? - 4/3/2011 1:37:13 PM   
EaglePryde

Distant Worlds seems to be a little gem in the 4X World and i'm very much looking for a good additional 4X Game.

Seems as though it is singleplayer only what is a bit of a gripe for me.

I've read many comments about not having MP in such a game and i really have to decline.

I played many 4x games in full realtime/half realtime and fully turnbased.

Really. No comment qualifies against Multiplayer because it can be done and is fun.

Some hate it but it's like Multiplayer fans would speak against singleplayer/campaign modes -> very much unfair.

I played Games that went over long time and had multiple game sessions because you had the ability to LOAD and SAVE.

Multiplayer in Realtime games is just the best because you don't have to wait for others to finish their turns although it's also not that bad.

With the first expansion out i would say it would be about time to get multiplayer in.

I followed this forum for a long time but i actually didn't buy the game nor the expansion because it still lacks Multiplayer.

The company have made a great game and made a very good first expansion. Keep up the good work.

I think the company just deserves my 2 honest cents.

This isn't a troll post nor a rant but there are people out there who like 4x games but don't hide alone in the shades in singleplayer games because they like to have a chat and enjoy playing games together.

That's why i hope that one day this game will have Multiplayer. Don't worry you singleplayer guys. Multiplayer isn't that hard to make and it won't destroy your fun.

Post #: 1
RE: Multiplayer!? - 4/3/2011 1:48:14 PM   
ASHBERY76

Adding Mutliplayer would take away features being made for single player game in the next expansion.DW is made by only one guy.

So No thanks.

(in reply to EaglePryde)
Post #: 2
RE: Multiplayer!? - 4/3/2011 1:49:57 PM   
EaglePryde

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Adding Mutliplayer would take away features being made for single player game in the next expansion.DW is made by only one guy.

So No thanks.

Poor excuse..sorry. This game has enough features to qualify in adding Multiplayer next.

Edit: Adding a Netcode and putting some options in like Save/Load isn't hard for a pro coder.

AI War was developed by 1 guy. Star Ruler was made by 2 guys. Heck even most OS where done as student projects.

< Message edited by EaglePryde -- 4/3/2011 1:55:53 PM >

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 3
RE: Multiplayer!? - 4/3/2011 1:58:15 PM   
Igard

Welcome to the forums, EaglePryde.

I don't know how many others like you there are, but I'd say don't despair at the lack of multiplayer. The game may well include it in the future, but for now it's a  brilliant single player experience.

The thing you have to understand about DW is that it's developed almost single handedly by one man. If the dev team were larger then we probably would have seen alot more additions to the game by now and we'd be alot closer to multiplayer too.

Most of the Distant Worlds player base would agree with me when I say that there are more important things to be implemented before we consider multiplayer. It's such a deep game, that it opens many avenues for expansion and areas to be improved upon.

Still, I'd urge you to try the game at least. I don't know if we'll see multiplayer for certain, but I know that it's not the be all and end all of Distant Worlds. There's lots of fun to be had with this game.

If multiplayer is an all important requirement for you, then all I can suggest is watch this space. Who knows what the future holds for DW.

(in reply to EaglePryde)
Post #: 4
RE: Multiplayer!? - 4/3/2011 3:06:07 PM   
EaglePryde

Thanks for the greeting Igard. I was watching the forum since the beginning of it and i posted because of how well this game has become over time.

I will surley buy this game incl. every expansion because i'm a huge fan of 4X games but i consider multiplayer as one of the big facets of such games.

Imho you can't let multiplayer nor playing against the AI out of such games but that's only my personal point of view.
I hope it get's included at some point.

People gather around a game that is to their taste and because i hear loud voices against multiplayer it's probably because the majority is a single-player audience. Also just my 2 cents. Just as the majority of players here like the depth of the game (and i'm a huge fan of such) i and many other's like playing together in such games. Suppose many have passed on the game because they read "1 player". That's a theory.

Don't take my comments as bad. I'm just expressing what i'm thinking in a neutral way.

I like the game and how it develops and thus have to congratulate you once more. While i am writing these lines i bought the game incl. the expansion to show my support for this game and to show that i have faith in it's future. I hope it'll this one missing feature i'm looking for.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 5
RE: Multiplayer!? - 4/3/2011 3:23:53 PM   
Data

Welcome to the community EaglePryde and don't worry about misinterpretations, your input is more than welcomed.
No one here I think is opposed to MP on principle and given the right conditions we'd all like to meet on a map and have tons of fun.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to EaglePryde)
Post #: 6
RE: Multiplayer!? - 4/3/2011 5:17:00 PM   
cookie monster

No problem, It's good that people who want multiplayer make their voice heard.

War in the East & War in the Pacific Admirals Edition both have a large multiplayer following but they are turn based.

I guess Matrix can only provide the answer as to whether multiplayer is viable for a one man indie product.

They would have carried out the market research in the past after all.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 7
RE: Multiplayer!? - 4/3/2011 5:24:16 PM   
Bingeling

I am currently struggling at keeping up to events in my single player game with heavy use of pause, so I wonder how this would be in multiplayer.

I like to watch my battles, and without pause that is hard to do when assaulting 3 space ports and 2 mining bases (all in different systems of course) at once. Even if not doing crazy stuff like that, I find this a game to to smell the roses in my opinion.

Also, to run in a set speed, one would have to run a X1, and that would be nasty slow in the slow periods. And maybe still fast at busy times. I typically run at x2 and pause when doing stuff.

But I have played the board game Empires in Arms multiple times, and I am sure a DW mutliplayer game would be easier to organize ;-)

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 8
RE: Multiplayer!? - 4/4/2011 6:46:40 AM   
EaglePryde

I have no doubt about it being viable in such games because i own 2 of such products. Answer in the next post
quote:

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

No problem, It's good that people who want multiplayer make their voice heard.

War in the East & War in the Pacific Admirals Edition both have a large multiplayer following but they are turn based.

I guess Matrix can only provide the answer as to whether multiplayer is viable for a one man indie product.

They would have carried out the market research in the past after all.

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 9
RE: Multiplayer!? - 4/4/2011 6:57:22 AM   
EaglePryde

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

I am currently struggling at keeping up to events in my single player game with heavy use of pause, so I wonder how this would be in multiplayer.

I like to watch my battles, and without pause that is hard to do when assaulting 3 space ports and 2 mining bases (all in different systems of course) at once. Even if not doing crazy stuff like that, I find this a game to to smell the roses in my opinion.

Also, to run in a set speed, one would have to run a X1, and that would be nasty slow in the slow periods. And maybe still fast at busy times. I typically run at x2 and pause when doing stuff.

But I have played the board game Empires in Arms multiple times, and I am sure a DW mutliplayer game would be easier to organize ;-)

That's simple. I own a indie Game called "Star Ruler" where you can play Multiplayer in a gigantic Universe. It's similar to Distant Worlds from the Real Time part. I have also some insight in Distant Worlds now.

There are multiple ways in Multiplayer to be succesfull. 1x speed would be enough to play in Multiplayer. Either you would play with a bunch a humans without AI what would be on even odds OR you would play with other players together against the AI covering and supporting eachother. Works very well if you have pretty good strategies and it's hell of fun to mass fleet's together and stomp the AI Best for coop realtime open space games is a close starting point to you friends and covering eachothers rear

The basis of every Multiplayer game ins not how long a Game takes or how successfull you are but the fun to play together. Nearly 99% of the games me and my friends own are coop capable and thus we enjoy a good game in the evening or on weekends. We really don't care if we play an hour or a couple. We also don't care about winning or loosing although we try to achieve the first. It's very much the social aspekt while playing together and talking through Teamspeak. It's hard for us to see eachother thus having familiy and time consuming life and thus we play together and talking about everything incl. the games we play.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 10
RE: Multiplayer!? - 4/4/2011 7:03:50 AM   
wozza

quote:

So No thanks.

I second that.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 11
RE: Multiplayer!? - 4/4/2011 11:27:02 AM   
EaglePryde

quote:

ORIGINAL: wozza

quote:

So No thanks.

I second that.

and i second "against" that in behalf of my friends who would buy that game if it had Multiplayer and for all those who wished for it and those who sadly passed on the game from the start because it had no multiplayer.

(in reply to wozza)
Post #: 12
RE: Multiplayer!? - 4/4/2011 11:50:15 AM   
EaglePryde

as an addition to my previous postings and against those "we want xyz features prior" and "Multiplayer is hard to make". Consider that every feature you request has also to be integrated into the AI routine for it to effectivley use it. That is a load of more work as to make a simple Multiplayer mode. If you know a bit about coding you'd know the difference.

(in reply to EaglePryde)
Post #: 13
RE: Multiplayer!? - 4/4/2011 11:50:24 AM   
wozza

quote:

ORIGINAL: EaglePryde

quote:

quote:

So No thanks.

I second that.

and i second "against" that in behalf of my friends who would buy that game if it had Multiplayer and for all those who wished for it and those who sadly passed on the game from the start because it had no multiplayer.

Thats up to you. But most of us here want a real good quality game. And we don't want to sacrifice that for the sake of MP.

(in reply to EaglePryde)
Post #: 14
RE: Multiplayer!? - 4/4/2011 12:15:37 PM   
EaglePryde

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: EaglePryde

quote:

quote:

So No thanks.

I second that.

Thats up to you. But most of us here want a real good quality game. And we don't want to sacrifice that for the sake of MP.

Who ever said that the quality wouldn't improve just because MP would be added?
All comments i've read seem to give the impression that because adding MP, everything else would never be done or would be done in a decade or so and that's very much unrealistic.

I know it's hard for you guys to understand how things are coded or how long something will take but this seems a bit of an ignorant step twards people who would like to enjoy this game in a group.

And if it even get's the sales up for this game by addressing a bigger audience, maybe even general game development would get faster in the progress.

(in reply to wozza)
Post #: 15
RE: Multiplayer!? - 6/20/2011 1:17:38 AM   
TGS

I have to agree with Eagle. As a fellow Star Ruler player a game like this is awesome as single player but would be absolutely amazing when it involves other REAL people. As far as people saying adding multiplayer would somehow hurt the single player experience as a person who has been in the gaming community a very long time that is a load of crap. Even if the game is only developed by one person. It goes like this a game is made/developed with single player or multiplayer in mind. Most multiplayer games have a single player component unless they are strictly online.

Now considering this game has an amazing single player already built and fleshed out the next logical step IS to design it with multiplayer. Let me put it another way. You could limit the focus to single player and develop a few odd features here and there. Maybe the introduction of a new system type or two or focus could be put into rebuilding the game for multiplayer and open up a whole new galaxy of possibilities for all players. If you are that hell bent against multiplayer... don't use it.

So I guess on the flip side those of us who would want multiplayer could say the exact same thing to you that you are saying to us. Why should we give up potential multiplayer so you can have the odd single player feature/expansion added? Single player is already made and damn solid if you ask me. So it really is quite selfish to think "I don't care what other people want I just want dev time worked on what I want to play" Now I'm sorry if I seem harsh but this game just has soooooooo much potential to be more than just a single player experience.

(in reply to EaglePryde)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Multiplayer!? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI