Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What is the most "Gamey" exploit you have experienced in AT?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> The War Room >> What is the most "Gamey" exploit you have experienced in AT? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What is the most "Gamey" exploit you have exp... - 6/19/2011 7:12:50 PM   
springer

It often happens in the life of wargamers who play human-to-human games that they face opponents who should have been (or may are) crafty defense lawyers. These opponents know the cracks in the system so well that they can get away with the stretching or breaking the laws of physical reality or just doing the absurd through exploits in the system. Often these moves spell utter defeat for the side that experiences these "exploits".

What is the most "gamey", egregious or absurd exploit that you have ever experienced in AT? (Or, if you don't mind sharing a "secret", you have ever inflicted.) How'd you respond and how'd the game end?

< Message edited by springer -- 6/19/2011 7:14:55 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: What is the most "Gamey" exploit you have... - 6/19/2011 7:38:20 PM   
Iron Knight

Sadly, I found early startegic bombers on smaller 1v1 maps can shutdown your opponent fast.

(in reply to springer)
Post #: 2
RE: What is the most "Gamey" exploit you have... - 6/19/2011 8:38:56 PM   
british exil

On larger maps building a unit with 1 horse then using it as a recon unit.

This was considered as very gamey, as in some scenarios a creating a unit didn't have any cost, so in effect you could recon and conquer cities with only a few horses quite fast.

But I never encountered any players using this tactic, neither would I employ such a tactic even playing against the AI.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to Iron Knight)
Post #: 3
RE: What is the most "Gamey" exploit you have... - 6/20/2011 2:37:55 PM   
rjh1971

Creating units and leaving them empty to form a defensive line, in the end we agreed that was a game killer so we decided all units should at least have 5 sft of at least infantry, it was ok to have only one or two tanks as those were harder to destroy. I would have liked to see my opponents face when he saw lots of russian units popping up from nowhere only to discover they were empty shells, nonetheless he had to attack them to clear the terrain and keep advancing. When I came upon this Russia was in a very very bad state, desperate measures had to be taken it was a WaW game with AT.

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 4
RE: What is the most "Gamey" exploit you have... - 6/20/2011 5:43:26 PM   
Tac2i

Hmmm, I thought that empty units cost you no Action Points (AP) when attacking them so in effect it is like they don't exist.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjh1971

Creating units and leaving them empty to form a defensive line

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 5
RE: What is the most "Gamey" exploit you have... - 6/20/2011 6:32:13 PM   
Ande

I thought that, since there are no zone control points in the unit, the unit would simply disapear as enemy units comes sufficiently close to capture the hex.

(in reply to Tac2i)
Post #: 6
RE: What is the most "Gamey" exploit you have... - 6/20/2011 7:49:31 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: british exil

On larger maps building a unit with 1 horse then using it as a recon unit.

This was considered as very gamey, as in some scenarios a creating a unit didn't have any cost, so in effect you could recon and conquer cities with only a few horses quite fast.

But I never encountered any players using this tactic, neither would I employ such a tactic even playing against the AI.

Mat

I've done this against the AI and I wouldn't hesitate to do it against a human. Of course, now that we have cavalry it might make more sense to use it for early expansion.

Maybe even more gamey was paradropping in to capture neutral cities.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 7
RE: What is the most "Gamey" exploit you have... - 6/20/2011 10:11:29 PM   
rjh1971

@Webizen, @Ande I haven't tried this in ATG only with AT... but you had to attack them, I also suffered the same tactic , the surprise only lasted one turn and I was payed back with the same coin

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 8
RE: What is the most "Gamey" exploit you have... - 6/26/2011 4:48:42 PM   
ernieschwitz

Neutral sea hex blocking.
It´s one of the most annoying things you can do when not at war, and you can´t declare war.

What you do is this. Move a sea unit to some point that needs to be passed in order for ships to move past that area. For instance, the area between norway and denmark, could be blocked by putting sea units (subs for instance, or even cargoships) from the coast of denmark, to the coast of norway. No enemy (no vessels at all in fact but yours) can cross this line.

I´ve seen and used this tactic in 1933 for instance, and it would be possible to use in alot of other scenarios.

EDIT: How i responded.

Well, the game was with Tweber among others. We discussed it briefly, and I decided to keep on using it, because he was using it too. I was playing Soviet union and blocking the entrance to the northern baltic by putting a line of subs out there. He responded by putting a thin line of destroyers out there blocking my movement further south and he also blocked part of the black sea by doing the same.

In the end, it was more his problem than mine. You have to understand tho that in 1933, Germany can´t be attacked until they have done an act of aggression. So by putting up a wall of submarines, I was being provocative, ... and he responded by using the same tactics.

I think that the game should be fixed so that at least subs can pass through hexes with enemy ships in them, not stacking with them, but just moving past them.

< Message edited by ernieschwitz -- 6/26/2011 4:53:26 PM >

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 9
RE: What is the most "Gamey" exploit you have... - 6/26/2011 10:10:21 PM   
Vic

quote:

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

Neutral sea hex blocking.
It´s one of the most annoying things you can do when not at war, and you can´t declare war.

What you do is this. Move a sea unit to some point that needs to be passed in order for ships to move past that area. For instance, the area between norway and denmark, could be blocked by putting sea units (subs for instance, or even cargoships) from the coast of denmark, to the coast of norway. No enemy (no vessels at all in fact but yours) can cross this line.

I´ve seen and used this tactic in 1933 for instance, and it would be possible to use in alot of other scenarios.

EDIT: How i responded.

Well, the game was with Tweber among others. We discussed it briefly, and I decided to keep on using it, because he was using it too. I was playing Soviet union and blocking the entrance to the northern baltic by putting a line of subs out there. He responded by putting a thin line of destroyers out there blocking my movement further south and he also blocked part of the black sea by doing the same.

In the end, it was more his problem than mine. You have to understand tho that in 1933, Germany can´t be attacked until they have done an act of aggression. So by putting up a wall of submarines, I was being provocative, ... and he responded by using the same tactics.

I think that the game should be fixed so that at least subs can pass through hexes with enemy ships in them, not stacking with them, but just moving past them.

quote:

o. I was playing Soviet union and blocking the entrance to the northern baltic by putting a line of subs out there. He responded by putting a thin line of destroyers out there blocking my movement further south and he also blocked part of the black sea by doing the same.

In the end, it was more his problem than mine. You have to understand tho that in 1933, Germany can´t be attacked until they have don

In the ATG random games this gamey tactic should not be possible. You should be able to share sea hexes with regimes you are not at war with.

For modders: There is a rulevar that allows you to enable sea hex sharing.

Best,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 10
RE: What is the most "Gamey" exploit you have... - 6/26/2011 11:17:30 PM   
ernieschwitz

Been searching for that rulevar, before i wrote this down... but so far haven´t found it...

I´ll take another look...

Found it: Under disable/enable. Rulevar 525.

< Message edited by ernieschwitz -- 6/26/2011 11:18:38 PM >

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> The War Room >> What is the most "Gamey" exploit you have experienced in AT? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI