Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Close Combat Mega Update Is Now Out!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> The Close Combat Mega Update Is Now Out! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Close Combat Mega Update Is Now Out! - 6/21/2011 8:03:20 PM   
SeanD

Fantastic improvements to the venerable Close Combat engine plus a sale for newcomers to the series!

Matrix Games, Slitherine and Black Hand Studios are thrilled to announce that the long-awaited re-launch and mega update of the Close Combat series is now available! These new releases mark a fantastic overall improvement to the gameplay of the Close Combat games and show the astonishing distance the series has come since its original form many years ago. Be sure to check out the video on YouTube and the preview article at The Wargamer to see what everyone is so excited about!

There’s never been a better time to get in on the famed Close Combat action, especially with our new $5 off promotion! When you buy any of the Close Combat titles you will be able to purchase another game in the series at $5 off. This sale excludes Close Combat – Modern Tactics and the $5 promotion is only valid for games purchased together in the same order.

Also, don’t forget that our Hoffa’s Body Easter Egg Contest is now starting! For all the veteran Close Combat commanders out there who remember finding Hoffa’s body in the classic Close Combat games, we’ve placed Hoffa’s body somewhere on the battlefields of Close Combat – Last Stand Arnhem. The first person to find Hoffa’s body and send us an in-game screenshot of his location along with their serial key will win a free digital copy of any game in the Matrix Games or Slitherine store!

Relaunch and Mega Update Improvements (CC: Cross of Iron, CC: Wacht am Rhein, CC: The Longest Day)
  • Major improvements were made to the way vehicles and soldiers travel to way points and reach the end destination of both simple and highly complex, unhindered paths with a very high degree of success.
  • Soldier pathfinding was improved so that when soldiers fall behind (heavy weapon or momentarily lost) they plot their own path to successfully rejoin their team.
  • Vehicle driver and soldier decision making was improved to help them deal with unexpected obstacles (vehicle moving into their way , or wreck that was knocked out in the course of battle to block a path that was already determined), and get out of dead-end locations.
  • AI improvements were designed in concert with the re-designed pathfinder.
  • The "Bee Dance" of CC2 that was related to conflicts between the AI for the vehicle driver and the AI that tried to keep the team moving along the team's path that would result in a conflict about which portion of the AI to follow or "which way to go” is resolved.
  • Many other minor improvements were made and reported bugs were fixed.
CC: Last Stand Arnhem-only Relaunch and Mega Update Improvements
  • The mechanism for borrowing teams from the reserve battlegroup was redesigned.
  • The Grand Campaign was redesigned for improved play balance
The update is comprehensive and will bring all previous versions of the Close Combat games up to their latest and greatest version. Get the updates here:Get more information on Close Combat - Cross of Iron, Close Combat – Last Stand Arnhem, Close Combat – The Longest Day, and Close Combat – Wacht am Rhein from their official product pages and be sure to check out the new video!

Sean Drummy

Marketing and Press Relations Manager
Post #: 1
RE: The Close Combat Mega Update Is Now Out! - 6/21/2011 8:33:08 PM   
Platoon_Michael

If I have all the Beta Patch's do I still need this update?
Does it provide anything above the Beta Patch's?

(in reply to SeanD)
Post #: 2
RE: The Close Combat Mega Update Is Now Out! - 6/21/2011 8:38:49 PM   
Erik Rutins

Yes, you should still install the official update.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Platoon_Michael)
Post #: 3
RE: The Close Combat Mega Update Is Now Out! - 6/28/2011 8:46:46 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

Presumably these "mega updates" are the *only* things we need to patch the re-releases with?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: The Close Combat Mega Update Is Now Out! - 6/28/2011 10:59:53 PM   
RD Oddball

Correct. Install the gold release then this update and you'll be current.

(in reply to CSO_Talorgan)
Post #: 5
RE: The Close Combat Mega Update Is Now Out! - 6/28/2011 11:04:36 PM   
hank

I bought a boxed version 8 or 9 months ago from here. The puter crashed so I just got it re-installed when this release was announced.

So, do all I need to do is install from the Disk ... then apply this patch to make me current ?

That's what I did and it says the version is 4.50.14.

just checking

(in reply to RD Oddball)
Post #: 6
RE: The Close Combat Mega Update Is Now Out! - 6/29/2011 2:40:48 AM   
Tejszd

Yup, after applying the latest patch the game shows that version number....

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 7
RE: The Close Combat Mega Update Is Now Out! - 7/1/2011 5:00:26 PM   
hank

This question could go in any one of the the CC forums but since I own this one ... here goes:

The game is great ... I really like WAR ... I've played Battle of the Bulge in 3 or 4 totally different game engines and this one gets you right down to the tactical level. A blast it is.
But, here's the question:

I'd like to play on maps that are less densely populated with buildings and forest. Which title is best for open terrain armored slug fests? Is COI the one?
(I assume that's the only one with eastern front conflicts)

Are there many maps in COI that are basically steppes with a few houses or small villages? Low rolling hills, etc etc?

Any help would be appreciated ... could lead to another sell too.

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 8
RE: The Close Combat Mega Update Is Now Out! - 7/1/2011 6:19:53 PM   
mbar

I just got these games and this opinion is from looking over the maps.

COI might be what you are looking for. Many open or rolling hills with few buildings but also some building maps. Operations and campaigns are linear. You fight one map and then fight the next map so you don't move battle groups around on a grand map like in WaR, TLD, or LSA. I don't think there are as many maps as in WaR, TLD or LSA either.

TLD and LSA maps are town maps and country maps with buildings and hedges. LSA has many bridge maps also.

Hope that helps a little and hopefully some one else will chime in too.

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 9
RE: The Close Combat Mega Update Is Now Out! - 7/1/2011 10:44:26 PM   
Andrew Williams

I think CoI has 66 maps (give or take 1 or 2) - hundreds(?) more available for download

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 10
RE: The Close Combat Mega Update Is Now Out! - 7/2/2011 1:10:49 AM   
hank

More input is welcome but your input is greatly appreciated.

My gut feel was that COI would be what I might be looking for. I'm going to continue with WAR because of my deep interest in The Bulge ... but facts are ... armored combat on open terrain was much more prevalent on the eastern front. (not to diminish N.Africa, Lorraine, Arracourt, the Normandy breakout, etc.)

thanks again

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 11
RE: The Close Combat Mega Update Is Now Out! - 7/2/2011 5:59:34 AM   
Southernland

yeah the good thing with COI is it's very easy to design your own senerios to be as tank heavy as you want... you can have anything from 14 snipers vz 14 snipers (and an officer on each side) to 15 King tigers vz 15 JS2s and anything in between

the downside is the maps are a little smaller 3000x3000pexels for COI 3720x3720 for cc5 and 4800x4800 for WaR, Normandy and LSA

so what we need is a tank heavy mod for LSA

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 12
RE: The Close Combat Mega Update Is Now Out! - 7/24/2011 11:39:20 PM   
Herodotus18

Hey SeanD,

I have been waiting for this Mega Update for ages now, but when I click on the link given for "CC: Wacht am Rhein" it takes me to the product page and the Update is listed but not downloadable. I have the previous two patches (2008 and 2009 - brings me to version 4.50.2), but while the Mega Update (2011) is listed it is does not have a "Download" link. It just states the Patch is available - but for me it is not available. How do I get it when the site won't allow me to?

EDIT: Am I daft or what - the download link was under the patch notification, not above it. Facepalm:)

< Message edited by Herodotus -- 7/24/2011 11:43:15 PM >

(in reply to SeanD)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> The Close Combat Mega Update Is Now Out! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI