Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 9/25/2002 4:26:23 AM   
rbrunsman

Rokondo, you are very gracious player to possibly consider playing against me if I lose to Scharfschutze. :)

Back to the action...

Add 1 more Tiger and 1 more Whirlwind to my list of targets. Where is Scharfchutze coming up with all these "hard" targets!?

I did kill that Whirlwind Scharfschutze was worried about, but that's about all. I lost an M4 105 trying to get in position to take out a Panther G. Our battle has gotten to be <5 hexes for engagements since I've blasted the area with so much smoke.

In addition to the Whirlwind I took out several more units of "soft" targets. I [U]think[/U] that Scharfschutze is running out of infantry to throw at me and since most of the VHs are in combined woods/boulder hexes, I think he will have a very hard time dislodging me from my positions.

Unless the Germans are preparing a major counterattack and are keeping it a very good secret, I don't see why I shouldn't just retreat into the woods and make them come after me there. I'll take a platoon of US infantry against any German tank in the woods.

I'm suspicious about a major attack because Scharfschutze has been content to just sit back and let me pound my head against his hilltop positions for about 4 turns now. He must be up to something --- I just don't know what it is yet. But the clock is ticking and I've been sitting on every "per turn" VH for 4 turns now.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 31
- 9/25/2002 10:33:26 AM   
rbrunsman

Another turn goes by with no real losses on either side. The Germans have disappeared??

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 32
- 9/26/2002 3:28:13 AM   
Scharfschütze

The pace of the american onslaught has slackened, giving us the opportunity for some retaliation.
Numerous GI´s are raked by a hail of bullets from a well-placed MG42, weakening the enemy advance on the northern hill where all the action is. At that hills southern end, two rocket projectiles from a Sturmtiger assault mortar sweep aside enemy recon troops and crewmen. 2cm Flakvier reaches out for distant targets.

The battlefield is littered with destroyed vehicles: German Tigers and Panthers, american M4 105´s and scout cars, Kübelwagen and Jeeps, SdKfz and american halftracks are all burning bright. The Amis might think that they have won... can they be disproved?

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 33
- 9/26/2002 7:09:09 AM   
rbrunsman

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scharfschütze
[B]The Amis might think that they have won... can they be disproved? [/B][/QUOTE]

Not unless you gain some serious ground soon because the VHs are per turn point makers and I've had 75% to 100% of them for most of the 12 turns that have passed so far. :D

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 34
- 9/26/2002 10:52:57 PM   
rbrunsman

Nothing much happened other than that Uhu with no main gun ravaging my engineers with its MGs during opfire. :(

I've done a little sneaky manuevering (trying to avoid the eyes of the Uhu) and took out one more SS squad.

I see the Tigers but the Panther Gs seem to have gone into hiding. I expect a daring (desparate?) assault by the Germans any time now.;)

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 35
- 9/27/2002 4:36:29 PM   
Scharfschütze

That desperate/daring assault is on its way now!
Halftracks carrying infantry race towards the enemy, Kübelwagen and Panthers at their side. Sturmtiger shells force the americans to get their heads down, and when they look up again, they gaze into the muzzle of tank guns! Engineers and recons scatter, even the mighty Rangers are driven of by superior firepower and momentary surprise:rolleyes:

Shells fall all around.

Can the valiant germans consolidate their gains or do the staunch americans have the strength to drive them back, deciding this battle? Read all about it in the next episode of: World Cup Round II - High Noon in Normandy!;)

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 36
- 9/27/2002 11:23:45 PM   
rbrunsman

I think I may decide to [U]not[/U] drive you back, rather I may just hold tight and let you shoot at me with rifles and MGs. Better that than that **** SturmTiger having free range to maul my men.:(

In my last turn which I didn't post, you did manage to tempt me to expose a Hellcat. That Mech. Mortar was just too much sitting out in the open like that. Unfortunately, two hits didn't even scratch it. :mad: I expect that when I review the turn, my Hellcat will be a burning wreck.:(

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 37
- 9/30/2002 12:15:45 PM   
rbrunsman

The Hellcat is indeed a burning wreck. But as payback my boys got a Panther G, a Med Tank and an HT, IIRC. I also sent what's left of the German counterattack running home to momma again. :D I still hold all the VHs through 15 turns.

My men stoically await the retaliation of that **** SturmTiger.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 38
- 9/30/2002 11:06:00 PM   
Scharfschütze

Running home to momma? Not quite!:p

The aforementioned Sturmtiger wreaks total havoc among the american defenders. At least FIVE infantry squads take casualities and retreat in disorder. Again my heroic troops press forward, and a Panther G moves up to engage in a shootout with the M4 105 that is protecting the VH´s. With some luck, the M4 wins this one after the second salvo is exchanged :mad: , but the upcoming Tigers seal its fate. A nearby Stuart is also wrecked, while the german artillery kicks in to cover all approaches with mortar fire. Things may not look too bright, but we will sure give those yankees a run for their money! :rolleyes: :) :rolleyes:

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 39
- 10/1/2002 8:19:32 AM   
rbrunsman

A bold move by the Germans: blast away with the SturmTigers and then move up tanks and infantry to try to take the VHs.

The toll:
1 Tiger, 1 Uhu & 1 SturmTiger DEAD!:D :D

More SS are running home to mama.

Unfortunately I lost a couple HTs and one of my super Shermans while trying to be greedy getting the other Tiger and Uhu. :( :(

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 40
- 10/2/2002 12:41:48 PM   
rbrunsman

Well, those **** SturmTigers really blasted the two center VH clusters. Everyone in the area had to be rallied, so my infantry didn't get into this turn too much. But fortunately my Jacksons got into the action and took out one of the SturmTigers and that last Uhu. So, I believe the Germans are just as blind as I am in all this smoke.

I did discover a nice tactic against SturmTigers though: I moved a jeep in LOS of the SturmTiger and also next to a squad or two of SS -- That jeep got the STiger to blast his own men two or three times.:D :D That really has to be disheartening, when the 370mm maw of your own superweapon is staring straight at you.

Three more turns and this is all over. I still hold all the middle "per turn" VHs.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 41
- 10/2/2002 9:50:31 PM   
Scharfschütze

Bloody fighting continues just two or three hexes away from the northern and central VH´s (which are only 4 hexes apart). We refuse to give in and renew our attack, destroying a M36 Jackson, a M18 Hellcat and a 60mm mortar jeep. A deadly barrage of mortar shells rains upon the american defenders, causing further casualities. The fighting is very intense and bloody, with no side giving any quarter.

A crescent of burning vehicles of all types and from both sides is belching smoke at this focus of the conflict. The nearby woods are all ablaze, adding to the haze as do the numerous smike shells the americans have fired to force the Sturmtigers to roll in for a shot. Wait until I post a screenshot after this is finished... with and without those rolling clouds!

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 42
- 10/3/2002 8:21:35 AM   
rbrunsman

The suppression from the relentless arty and SturmTigers is taking a toll. My infantry couldn't do much this turn except take out an SS squad that was out in the open. We'll see if that Tiger can move through the woods and take a VH from me.

My gamble to grab the German backfield VHs was shot down before it could really start because on Scharfschutze's turn he figured out what I was up to and took out my jeep and Hellcat that were moving up to try to sneak in.:(

Two more turns to go. Will the Germans regain any of the VHs?

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 43
- 10/4/2002 12:12:21 AM   
Scharfschütze

Another M3 Stuart joins the scrap pile, while a recon patrol is exterminated. Everyone is gearing up for the endgame. The points-per-turn-VH´s will have prevented me from winning here (especially by regaining them in the final move or such) but the price was very high. I am virtually assured that the losses will be in my favour (in the infantry department, that is), the Sturmtigers have seen to that. Still, the slaughter won´t have been in vain for the yankees, since they managed to prevent me from retaking the VH´s soon enough.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 44
- 10/4/2002 8:38:19 AM   
rbrunsman

Turn 19 of 20:
More rallying and hiding. I managed to take out a mobile AAA. That's all. But I still have all the VHs. I'll be curious to see if the Germans have one more push in them to try and take a VH or two. It's been since turn 7 that they held even two VHs. All my feeble attempts to push on the German starting VHs have been crushed, either by a Panther or a lowly sniper (which happened this turn).

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 45
Breakthrough! - 10/4/2002 9:32:22 PM   
Scharfschütze

We have one more punch to deliver: Lead by the infantry, we breach the american defences of the northern VH´s, retaking two of them and scattering suppressed Rangers. Add some mopping up in the rear of the spear ;) , a superlatively accurate mortar barrage with some 80+% landing in hexes with confirmed enemies, none dropping on our own depite the close combat, and we have a relatively successfull turn.

I just hope that the Americans can´t rally anything, especially that M18 Hellcat I lost an Opel Blitz truck to.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 46
- 10/5/2002 7:10:37 AM   
rbrunsman

I rallied enough to push the German infantry out of the VHs they had captured. So I ended up holding all VHs at the end. Scharfschutze did predict accurately however that it cost me dearly in the casualties. I lost many more men than the Germans did.

However, in the end, this wasn't about not spilling digital blood, it was about taking and holding the per turn VHs. The result, Marginal Victory.
US = ~13,000 points
Germany = ~6000 points

Most of the last quarter of the battle was very close, even with our tanks getting right next to each other. I'll let Lars post pictures if he wants to. I don't know how to do that.

It was a very close battle. I think my choice of an overwhelming number of foot soldiers made it very difficult for the German tanks since we were fighting over lightly wooded hexes for the most part. I think this easily could have turned out differently. And I must say I was nervous about my position most of the time, having to rally all my troops most of the time before I could even move.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 47
Defeat... - 10/5/2002 10:17:55 PM   
Scharfschütze

Try as I might, I didn´t break the american stranglehold on the VH´s, which has resulted in the americans winning with quite a margin.

Now that the battle is over, it is time for a little analysis. The first phase of the battle saw a vicious clash of advance troops over the northern and central VH´s, which laid in close proximity (as you will see when I post the screenshots). Since the M16 SPAA halftracks were proving to be too much for my infantry, I had to withdraw them, loosing a platoon of SS, several HT´s and a couple of Kübelwagen in the process. I retreated to a nearby ridge, teamed up with a two Sturmtigers, two Tigers and four Panthers and began a delaying battle against the Americans securing the VH´s. When the AUX Panther Uhu´s had joined, I began a cautious adavance towards the enemy-held objectives again, and was caught in a vicious counterattack by the Americans, which cost me two Panthers and heavily damaged a Panther Uhu, who lost its main gun and hence was reduced to a night-vision MG mount. The second Panther conveniently ruined its 75L70 while op-firing a Jeep, leaving me without the advantage of IR-equipped tank-killers all too soon. Undaunted, I resumed my assault, and despite further losses reached and even occupied two VH´s, after advancing some 6-8 hexes under constant attacks and counterattacks in dense smoke. The screeshot will speak for themselves, I think...

Alas, it was in vain and rbrunsman won due to his excellent choice of troops and his daring and skillful counterattacks. When the Americans reeled under my barrage and sat in the defense, I could advance, when they counterattacked, again and again, I was stalled and finally thwarted.

What would it have taken for me to win?

I am a little unhappy with my choice of artillery. The SP mortar HT´s were chosen with a specific role in mind, which I didn´t use them for since I critically needed every tube I had to clear a way towards the VH´s. I would have gotten quite a lot of ordinary 81mm mortars for that purpose.

Generally the arty mix I purchased against Cpt. Pixel proved much more flexible and effective. I think the heavier firepower of 8 120mm mortars and a battery of 150mm offboard would have cleared the enemy troops holding the VH´s, and would have enabled me to attack more decisively. Instead, a fight of attrition broke out in front of the VH´s, with both sides feeding troops to the fire.

The Battle report: 24 american AFVs are listed as destroyed, I think a lot of M16´s went into that number, since I didn´t destroy more than half a dozen "real tanks". Infanty losses are as expected, though must say I lost maybe three quarters of my infantry force, of my SS company the first platoon was mauled in the opening fight, while the remaining two lost half their numbers in the second attack and endfights. The first platoon was basically overrun, while the remaining two fought very well in the defence of the ridge and the following advance. One of the platoon HMG´s basically broke up the northern shoulder of the american attack, destroying two enemy squads and badly maiming another. Too bad it ran out of ammo in the final turn.:rolleyes:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 48
- 10/7/2002 10:49:12 AM   
rbrunsman

I will add that I only had 4 Hellcats, 4 M4 105mm CS Shermans and 1 M4A1(76)W Sherman (which got killed after firing maybe 2 shots :( ). As reinforcements, I called in 2 Wolverines. That was the total of my "tank" force. Most of my points went to infantry, with a couple Airborne squads, a couple Rangers and a couple engineers. My men had to walk into the battle since I since I didn't buy any HTs until I called reinforcements. I figured that with the superior German armor, I would offer as few hard targets as I could. As it ended, I had very few hard vehicles left and if the game was a little longer and didn't have "per turn" VHs, I would have been swept from the field by the never ending supply of tanks Scharfschutze seemed to have.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 49
- 10/7/2002 11:52:11 PM   
Scharfschütze

And here is a screenshot of the area where most of the action took place:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 50
rbrunsman - 10/8/2002 1:08:32 AM   
Rokondo

I want you in the round 3
I am ready to fight :mad: :mad: :mad:

"If you have Patience you will win !"

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 51
- 10/8/2002 1:37:17 AM   
rbrunsman

Rokondo, I guess we'll just have to wait and see if Fate determines you are next in line to face the rbrunsman juggernaught in the PBEM World Cup.:p

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 52
- 10/8/2002 5:09:22 AM   
Scharfschütze

Hey Rokondo, if you feel bored it is time for a rematch! Already did a challenge in the PBEM WC thread, so...

[B]Are you ready to fight ?!?[/B]
:D :p :D

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 53
Yea lets fight - 10/8/2002 12:07:04 PM   
Rokondo

What are your preferences?

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 54
Re: Yea lets fight - 10/8/2002 9:00:43 PM   
Scharfschütze

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rokondo
[B]What are your preferences? [/B][/QUOTE]

5k points meeting engagement, all on, C&C off, max. 20% arty, two airstrikes per side, 8/45

This is copy&pasted from our WWIII thread. Since we are doing a rematch, let´s stick to it. Will you set it up? Of course, it will be US vs SU again...

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 55
Re: Re: Yea lets fight - 10/8/2002 11:18:17 PM   
Rokondo

Sound good to me :D
Send me the files .
This time I will put different password :)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scharfschütze
[B]

5k points meeting engagement, all on, C&C off, max. 20% arty, two airstrikes per side, 8/45

This is copy&pasted from our WWIII thread. Since we are doing a rematch, let´s stick to it. Will you set it up? Of course, it will be US vs SU again... [/B][/QUOTE]

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 56
Matches... - 10/11/2002 6:18:43 PM   
Curieus

Well rbrunsman, that read like a match quite dissimilar from our WWI style combat..... Congrats

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 57
- 10/12/2002 3:57:18 AM   
rbrunsman

Thanks Curieus, but I was only receiving the arty. I wasn't able to deliver very much. I only had a few 82mms and a bunch of 60mm jeeps that all ran out of ammo since I didn't buy an ammo dump.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 58
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI