Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to make deep space refueling/repair bases?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> How to make deep space refueling/repair bases? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to make deep space refueling/repair bases? - 6/24/2011 2:45:16 PM   
Szkeptik

Hi!

I want to make a starbase between two far away rich systems, so ships can refuel and repair there.
the problem is I don't know how to make such a thing.

I can't use collectors because it's in open space without a star nearby. The problem is how can I refuel the station itself? Will a freighter automaticly bring fuel to it? Do I have to make a freighter and set it somehow to take fuel and components for the base so it can refuel and repair ships?

Can this be done at all?

Thanks for the help!
Post #: 1
RE: How to make deep space refueling/repair bases? - 6/24/2011 3:19:45 PM   
Data

Yes, it can be done but as to how feasible it is opinions differ. You can't set freighters to nothing actually, they are completly out of control - our control but AI's control is not a good thing either
In theory freighters will supply the base but you'll have to test it to see if it happens and how it happnes, there are many aspects here no one knows (how far is too far for example).
Fingers crossed.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Szkeptik)
Post #: 2
RE: How to make deep space refueling/repair bases? - 6/24/2011 7:28:33 PM   
cookie monster

I dont think it will work, because freighters are not so intelligent.

(I have found them with 1 cargo after all).

Perhaps you can do a test, build the base and automate everything while your surfing the web.

Come back later and see if the base performs.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 3
RE: How to make deep space refueling/repair bases? - 6/24/2011 7:47:59 PM   
Data

As you see we're all sczkeptics about the outcome

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 4
RE: How to make deep space refueling/repair bases? - 6/24/2011 8:55:44 PM   
cookie monster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

I did have the same "bright" idea one day, I don't think it worked though as I never used it again.

Strategically placed Resupply Ships is what I used for GUARENTEED refuelling points across the empire.

Fleet management was still a pain though.

I blame the Beta Testers personally!

Ehumsrull1 your a marked man!

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 5
RE: How to make deep space refueling/repair bases? - 6/24/2011 9:26:25 PM   
Data

Yap, Szkeptik also wanted a repair point....but an RS and a CS (anyone tried an RCS?)should complement nicely on this. Plus they're mobile.
And I've also got my gold eyes on Ehumsrell1 but he's hidding in that obscure briar patch.
Btw, anyone knows how beta testing actually works? Testers are given a free hand to test anything or certain particular main objectives?

Post #: 6
RE: How to make deep space refueling/repair bases? - 6/24/2011 9:53:11 PM   
cookie monster

quote:

Btw, anyone knows how beta testing actually works? Testers are given a free hand to test anything or certain particular main objectives?

In War in the East they had to play different scenarios and upload saves for help in programming the AI, they would then receive an AI update and have to sometimes start over.

They did get a free game out of it.

I'm sure the man hiding in the briar patch will explain all.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 7
RE: How to make deep space refueling/repair bases? - 6/25/2011 6:14:01 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

quote:

I did have the same "bright" idea one day, I don't think it worked though as I never used it again.

Strategically placed Resupply Ships is what I used for GUARENTEED refuelling points across the empire.

I blame the Beta Testers personally!

Ehumsrull1 your a marked man!

quote:

quote:

I'm sure the man hiding in the briar patch will explain all.

First of all, the next person, android, alien, xenomorph, etcetera who spells my handle wrong
( it's ehsumrell1 )will get ten agonizing minutes in my face-stretching chair!

Next, concerning beta testing, our job was to primarily give feedback and reports on crashes, bugs and major gameplay issues but we were also providing gameplay and feature suggestions according to Elliots
instructions. We also provided input on hardware & operating system compatibility issues and gameplay
balancing. I personally focused on any and all mod and theme compatibility issues. I feel that I was
very instrumental in assisting Igard with getting his many fantastic Star Trek mods up and running by
discovering and working out the bugs which was forwarded to Elliot. [That's also how I got the early
'layout' of that Romulan's cargo bay security features... ]
But under stand that we had a small team and in the push to try and produce by Christmas, Elliot, who
worked WONDERS in my opinion, did the best he could. Of course though, once exposed to hundreds of users
when the game went public, there were going to be other bugs/problems discovered that we did not have
ample gameplay time or manpower to uncover. Hope this explanation gets me off the galactic 'hook'!
In the meantime, I'm going back to the Briar Patch where my lovely Orion bride awaits me!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

Post #: 8
RE: How to make deep space refueling/repair bases? - 6/25/2011 8:16:36 AM   
Data

Nice history lesson there. I did spot that cookie used an u instead of an e in your handle so I did change that after copy/paste ....I just missed the rest of it
Hope this gets me off the hook as well, I had enough of that infernal device; it should be cookie's turn.....he's a monster, you know.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 9
RE: How to make deep space refueling/repair bases? - 6/25/2011 10:52:56 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

...I had enough of that infernal device; it should be cookie's turn.....he's a monster, you know.

Yeah Data, I just have to decide on the correct 'filter', Macadamia Nut or Vanilla Wafer!

Got Milk?

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 10
RE: How to make deep space refueling/repair bases? - 6/26/2011 8:01:51 AM   
Bingeling

quote:

Resupply ships works for refueling fleets, but I don't think you would have a civilian ship go anywhere near it.

And I don't think Civilian do fuel stops anyways, they either have "go there" or "refuel" orders, and will not interrupt "go there" to refuel.

Post #: 11
RE: How to make deep space refueling/repair bases? - 6/26/2011 9:23:10 AM   
Data

Have played with putting mining stations in fuel locations to see if I can control freighter and explorer auto pathing but they don't seem to take the most logical / short route.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 12
RE: How to make deep space refueling/repair bases? - 6/28/2011 1:16:02 AM   
tjhkkr

Actually, they have worked pretty well for me...
I have not had too much trouble with bases in the middle of no where.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 13
RE: How to make deep space refueling/repair bases? - 6/28/2011 7:44:34 AM   
Data

Bases used for refueling / repair or monitor stations or some other more pasive designs? If the former is true I'd love to take a look at a save, maybe determine why it's working in your case.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 14
RE: How to make deep space refueling/repair bases? - 6/28/2011 11:16:41 AM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

Actually, they have worked pretty well for me...
I have not had too much trouble with bases in the middle of no where.

What is the definition of "worked"?

A star base has gas extractors, and as long as it is on a fuel source it will be an excellent refueling base which protects itself from pirates. The question is whether it brings any benefit to the civilian sector at all.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 15
RE: How to make deep space refueling/repair bases? - 6/29/2011 4:06:52 AM   
tjhkkr

I speak of repairs. Fuel? As I ahve said many times, I know what your average German tank commander feels like: more worried about fuel than the enemy destroying my ships...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 16
RE: How to make deep space refueling/repair bases? - 6/29/2011 7:29:56 AM   
Data

lol, very true

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> How to make deep space refueling/repair bases? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI