Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

General questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> General questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
General questions - 6/24/2011 12:57:31 AM   
slick willy

I have been thinking of picking up WitE. I have WitP AE so am familiar with this style of game. One of the things about WitE that caught my attention is week turns and IMO is good. I still have not completed the Grand campaign in WitP :( I always wished I could controll the U.S. or British forces while the AI would controll the other allies.

1: Is it possible to complete a grand campaign in a month or two?
2: Looks like you are able play the grand campaign yet have the AI controll parts of the game for you?

Willy
Post #: 1
RE: General questions - 6/24/2011 1:49:31 AM   
kevini1000

I would image and in even less time most likely. I see games going very fast all the time.

(in reply to slick willy)
Post #: 2
RE: General questions - 6/24/2011 2:16:17 AM   
jzardos

from what I know:

1: No, yet to hear about or see an AAR with a GC41 completed into 45. Well except for maybe Soviets in Berlin by 43, if that counts? Even games that move are maybe 5 turns a week? So with 200+ turns in CG41..that's 40 weeks. The game has only been out for about 24 weeks.

2: No, unless you mean AI play Axis or Soviets. Think you can set both to AI and just watch, but why?

< Message edited by jzardos -- 6/24/2011 2:20:34 AM >

(in reply to kevini1000)
Post #: 3
RE: General questions - 6/24/2011 7:12:32 AM   
56ajax

Have had great fun playing this game since it came out; havent got past turn 18 playing GC; each turn takes about 3-4 solid hours....good luck...

(in reply to jzardos)
Post #: 4
RE: General questions - 6/24/2011 10:46:48 PM   
slick willy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jzardos

2: No, unless you mean AI play Axis or Soviets. Think you can set both to AI and just watch, but why?

I meant to just be in controll of a portion of the army while AI controlls airforces etc.

I really like WitP but between work, kids and stuff it is pretty tough to see any progress doing the GC and the other scenerios are to small. I like the large map (or lots of hexes) but is hard to pick up after not playing for a few weeks with such a large amount of micro managment. I was kind of hoping WitE would have a few more options to adjust the workload, ie speed up the turns yet still have a large scale war going on

Willy

(in reply to jzardos)
Post #: 5
RE: General questions - 6/24/2011 10:55:13 PM   
Joel Billings

I think it is possible to play a campaign against the AI to a resolution in 1-2 months, however much depends on playstyle and how many years the game goes (a game all the way to 1945 would probably be hard to play in 1-2 months, with a bit over 200 turns in 60 days meaning you'd have to play about 3.5 turns per day.

The AI will run some air missions for you (recon, airbase attack, and fly automatic interdiction and ground support based on your air doctrine settings), and there are some things that can be left to the AI if you don't like to micromanage them. You can't turn over a part of the front to the AI.

There are many smaller scenarios that you can play in much less time where you can get to learn the system and have fun before deciding whether you want to make the time investment in a full campaign.

I don't take 3-4 hours of playing each turn against the AI (more like 1-2 hours, but I don't micromanage), but I can see how someone could take that long, especially if playing against a human opponent.

< Message edited by Joel Billings -- 6/24/2011 10:56:21 PM >

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

Post #: 6
RE: General questions - 6/25/2011 1:05:52 AM   
slick willy

Thanks for the replys.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 7
RE: General questions - 6/25/2011 1:26:08 AM   
HRL58

I am in my first serious game as axis GC 41, and I am at turn 47 ...and sofar it has taken me more than 20 days of gaming.(this game is really worth the money spent )

Post #: 8
RE: General questions - 6/25/2011 1:55:29 AM   
delatbabel

I can only echo what others have already said. I have used up more of my leisure time hours on this game than any other I have purchased in many years, and that makes it great value for money.

I am a big fan of games such as Europa, World in Flames, etc, and I am also familiar with computerisations of various boardgames (Empires in Arms). This game is done the way a mega-boardgame should be done on a computer and done right. Sure, it still feels like a board game (which is no bad thing) but instead of the ridiculous notion (e.g. WiF) that an armoured corps "vanishes" after taking a loss, the corps is damaged, may retreat, and will possibly have to be pulled back behind your lines to refit for a few weeks. Losses are handled down to the squad level, the way they should be, and the computer manages all of those messy calculations involved in working out the combat odds and losses, etc.

I remember some of the small scale operational games from 3W such as Kirovograd where you assigned step losses to units and they became weaker as a result, and "reinforcement points" could then be applied to recover those step losses. Now that was a great system and a boardgame done right but very very fiddly. Only on a computer can you get a system such as that to work on a game of this scale, and that's what Matrix and 2by3 have achieved here.

Buy it, you know you want to.

--
Del

(in reply to HRL58)
Post #: 9
RE: General questions - 6/25/2011 4:49:38 AM   
slick willy

quote:

ORIGINAL: delatbabel

Buy it, you know you want to.

So true.

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 10
RE: General questions - 6/25/2011 11:29:23 AM   
Sorta

Yes its an incredible wargame with so much depth.

I just played the Leningrad scenario on hard vs Axis to learn the game and feel much better about the rules.

The flexibility of using the PC to do much of the admin is good as everyone's style of play is different.

I plated the board game version of this when I was young plus EIA (and AH 3R, War and Peace) and very happy that the PC does all the admin.

This seems to be a very polished game with good support (unlike another game whose name I wont mention).

Post #: 11
RE: General questions - 6/25/2011 1:22:57 PM   
slick willy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sorta

Yes its an incredible wargame with so much depth.

This seems to be a very polished game with good support (unlike another game whose name I wont mention).

After playing GGs WitP:AE I don't doubt the amount of depth in this game or the quality of the support. I am just not sure if I want to shell out the money on a game that I might not get into because of a lack of free time. Like I mentioned before about WitP, for me, the GC took to long and the smaller scenes were to small and did not feel like there was enough of the strategy envolved.

Am I understanding correctly that WitE GCs can start in 1941,42,43,44? If I could make the war a little shorter but keep the strategy there I would buy it.

Willy

(in reply to Sorta)
Post #: 12
RE: General questions - 6/25/2011 1:33:40 PM   
delatbabel

quote:

ORIGINAL: slick willy

Am I understanding correctly that WitE GCs can start in 1941,42,43,44? If I could make the war a little shorter but keep the strategy there I would buy it.

Willy

Yes, there is a 42 GC which is a good game to play against the computer and a 43 GC which is very absorbing although usually an easy win for an experienced Soviet player against an incautious German player. There is also a scenario editor, Keke has worked on a very good replacement for the 43 GC which gives much better strategic options for both sides as far as I can tell so far.

There is a 44 game which, like a lot of other 44 scenarios in many other games, is only good if you are the sort of person who likes to kick puppies.

--
Del

Post #: 13
RE: General questions - 6/25/2011 11:28:45 PM   
slick willy

Alright, bought the game. Now to find the time, too much to do. Finished D/Ling 10 mins before my youngest kids B-day party at home today. Finally got all the kids kicked out. Ran update, started a quik game. Seems that some of the menus/ action windows extend off screen in window mode. Any way to run full screen, ie no task bar. Cant seem to find it in options menu.
Thats it for today, have to load up the car and head to a BBQ/bonfire and won't be home until after my bed time.
Should have about an hour to spare between grocery shopping and my nephews B-day party tomorow. Then...........crud, it's back to work on Monday.
Can't believe you guys twisted my arm and MADE me buy this

Willy

PS nothing wrong with kicking puppies. However, I plan to be the puppies, if you know what I mean.

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 14
RE: General questions - 6/26/2011 3:51:50 AM   
cookie monster

The game only runs in Windowed mode.

You can hide your Windows TaskBar though. This frees up more room for the game window.

Post #: 15
RE: General questions - 6/26/2011 2:57:23 PM   
slick willy

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

The game only runs in Windowed mode.

You can hide your Windows TaskBar though. This frees up more room for the game window.

Well, it is not the task bar that is the problem. The top of the in game pop up windows are ubstructed at the top by the frame of the main game window. It would be nice if there was a way to resize or reposition in game windows. It makes it difficult to close the window, the mouse pointer only catches about 1 pixel of the "X" to close it.

I am running 1366x768 (16:9) on my lap top. I run 1920x1200 (16:10) on my gaming rig, I guess that would help by having a taller screen. What screen ratio are you folks using? Maybe it would be better to continue this over at the tech forum.

Willy

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 16
RE: General questions - 6/26/2011 4:05:04 PM   
Scook_99

This isn't tech, but one quick workaround, if I am understanding you correctly is to reposition the pop-up. Under preferences, you will find it is set to 'cursor'. Change that to 1,1, and it pops up in the upper left corner then. I can't take credit for that, I think I got it from Tarhunnus. To close the window, you can go to admin, and there is a large 'X' there (unless that's the one you are referring to as being blocked). You can also use ALT+F4 to close any window you are on.

Post #: 17
RE: General questions - 6/27/2011 4:32:48 PM   
leehunt27@bloomberg.net

Slicky Willy, i'm a big War in the Pacific fan as well,, and War in the East is definitely faster and easier to pick up.  Both are grand and great in their own ways, but WiTE is simpler (relatively).

John 21:25

(in reply to Scook_99)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> General questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI