Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (Axis)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  33 34 35 [36] 37   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/22/2011 9:41:19 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Manpower keeps growing... a lot. I have 821k. Is this normal, not a bug?

Now I have 2 million armaments thing. That has to be a good thing as well.

Attachment (1)

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 1051
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/22/2011 10:06:14 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I had shown (last turn) my First Guards Rifle Corps. But that was a mud turn, therefore the attacking CV could not be appreciated: a mere miserable 1

So this is how a mega-ant looks like... offensive CV = 11 If I could concentrate 3 in one hex that would make > 30! 1943, no doubt!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1052
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/22/2011 10:14:18 PM   
TulliusDetritus

So in the south we have a potential threat, as I have said above: 6 Panzer divisions concentrated in the area.

And it looks like hordes of Italians are coming. Good! Along with the Romanians and Hungarians they should form the "steel" flanks if 2ndACR is aiming at Stalingrad. A reasonable plan. Honest!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1053
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/22/2011 11:00:49 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Good news! In the Velikie Luki area my Tank Corps (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and Cavalry Corps (3rd) had their baptism by fire

2ndACR had advanced in this area. But just like in the last turn, his right flank was weak: fort = 0. Defensive CV = 10. So I reinforced the 4th Army (Volkhov Front) with the corps mentioned above. It worked. Three German infantry divisions were terrorised for good!

Oh, I will be pulling back the corps, by the way. Fragile, I know. They did their job so well done!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1054
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/22/2011 11:49:10 PM   
Klydon

Yep, hit and run with the Tank corps. Get them some experience, but don't expose them to counter attacks. It doesn't take long for them to become combat effective, so they need to attack and pull back to come back up to strength.

I would check the various pools for the actual amount of manpower you have available. (much of that could be in transit, etc).

If you have that much in the way of armaments, then perhaps it is time to get some artillery support units put together along with some other support units like sappers, etc. Get them started and let them train up a bit and you will have them ready for when you start forming your infantry corps at some point. (Sappers anyway). 

Post #: 1055
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/23/2011 12:26:24 AM   
TulliusDetritus

"Hit and run", I love that Yes, no other option left. But what a difference! In 1941 you didn't have these troglodyte's maces! Now the troglodyte may suddenly appear, unleash a blow and [cowardly, of course!] disappear...

As for the independent artillery units, Flavio said they were a waste of APs. He suggested to wait for divisions instead. The truth is I badly need the few APs I have: I keep creating corps every turn + buying the support units they need.

Now my Armies HQs have plenty of support (around 20). But maybe I will keep buying more support units.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 1056
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/23/2011 1:21:51 AM   
TulliusDetritus

This turn I have created a Tank Corps (now I have 16) and... just another mega-ant... The 2nd Guards Rifle Corps (attached to 3rd Shock Army) is here, ready to terrorize the enemy hordes.

The Corps is in a rough hex with a fort level = 3. Yes, the defensive value is MASSIVE, never seen before! 82...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 6/23/2011 1:24:41 AM >

Post #: 1057
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/23/2011 1:56:24 AM   
pompack

Watch your truck status. It is easy to generate a large force of tank corps that cripples your supply situation (as I learned to my sorrow )

Post #: 1058
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/23/2011 2:10:52 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: pompack

Watch your truck status. It is easy to generate a large force of tank corps that cripples your supply situation (as I learned to my sorrow )

Flavius confirmed that no matter what, the Soviets will always be short on trucks. If I counted well, I still can form 12 Tank Corps (+ 16 = 28). The remaining brigades are kept as Front reserves (2 each) I might stop at 20 or 25 or go for the 28 [Corps]

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 1059
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/23/2011 2:39:08 AM   
Klydon

Ah.. not independent artillery, but rather support unit artillery is what I meant. The artillery divisions are a ways off yet.

If nothing else, you can sit on those armament points for a bit. Nothing really wrong with that. I just wasn't sure how much you had built up your support units yet or not. My thought is while infantry corps are nasty, infantry corps with 3 support units attached are just down right brutal.

Tank corps getting puffed up the same way (3 support units) are good as well.

As noted by Pompack, watch your truck situation. Look to get rid of support unit truck hogs (motorcycle regiments come to mind).

You want to leave room for mech corps. They will help protect your tank corps later on when the Red Army rolls and the panzers try to do something about it.

Post #: 1060
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/23/2011 7:51:18 AM   
randallw

Trucks, schmucks. The Red Army walks!

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 1061
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/23/2011 8:45:12 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Definitely, I am pulling back the 1st Shock Army (Panzer "threat" in the center) and send them to the south I will bring a regular Stavka Reserve Army to replace it, just in case.

EDIT: oh, on next turn I will be creating my 3rd Guards Rifle Corps, precisely in this Shock Army

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 6/23/2011 8:52:15 PM >

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 1062
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/23/2011 8:49:16 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I have also noticed that the Leningrad Front has way too many men. Yes, that IS a vital objective which MUST be protected, but I don't think 2ndACR is planning agressives moves here: only [harmless] infantry.

So I think I will be diverting around 10 divisions (Guards are prioritary) to Stavka HQ itself. More strategic reserves that is!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1063
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/23/2011 8:55:00 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Oops! This last screenshot has been useful! Some Front HQs were NOT locked. Fixed I set the support to 0 when I tried to kick the RR Brigades to Stavka HQ. And I forgot to lock them again.

P.S.: by the way, it didn't work, NO RR Brigades left these Fronts.

Post #: 1064
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/23/2011 9:06:07 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Magic Trick done The Shock Army has disappeared. The 10th Army (4 Rifle Divisions) replaces it.

Oops, the Guards Cavalry Corps you see on the sreenshot will also be sent to the south. Remember: best units => sent to critical places (and there are 6 Panzer Divisions concentrated in the south)...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1065
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/23/2011 9:16:18 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Ok... in the South I have finally sent (this turn):

- 1st Shock Army
- 9th and 10th Tank Corps
- 1 x Guards Cavalry Corps
- 1 x Regular Cavalry Corps

+ (already in place here):

- 43rd Army
- 2 x Tank Corps

These will be (along with the Southern Front Reserves: 3 RD + 1 CD + 2 Tank Brigades) the reserves which should help to contain the fascists

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1066
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/23/2011 9:21:29 PM   
randallw

You should have noticed how overloaded Leningrad Front was.

Post #: 1067
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/23/2011 9:33:47 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Randall, in this case or area I knew -accepted- I had an overloaded Front. This is Leningrad approaches. I did not want to take any risk here: prioritary. Now I'm pretty certain the area is safe so I divert divisions to places where they might be more useful

Diverted Rifle Divisions (from Leningrad Front):

- 6 Guards Rifle Divisions
- 3 Rifle Divisions

Which makes 9 rifle divisions, not too bad

I don't have enough APs. I will assign them to Stavka HQ on next turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 6/23/2011 9:38:34 PM >

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 1068
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/23/2011 9:41:57 PM   
TulliusDetritus

In fact, now that I'm thinking about it... I might divert between 15 and 20 Rifle Divisions from the Northwest, Kalinin, Bryansk and Southwesten Fronts. Quiet places so far.

I will wait, I have enough reserves if I am not mistaken.

Post #: 1069
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/23/2011 9:53:26 PM   
TulliusDetritus

LOL

What I said! I'm way too impatient! Rifle Divisions diverted from the Northwest and Kalinin Fronts:

- 4 Guards Rifle Divisions
- 6 Rifle Divisions

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1070
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/23/2011 10:18:47 PM   
TulliusDetritus

And Sevastopol! Nice fortress! I suspect 2ndACR does not want it, which is ok. He controls the Kerch thing so he has nothing to fear. At least in 1942 Notice the lousy offensive values of the minor allies.

Coastal Army HQ is here: 5 Rifle Divisions + 1 Mountain Division + 1 Naval Infantry Brigade.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1071
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/23/2011 10:28:59 PM   
TulliusDetritus

As for the Air War, all the Fronts have plenty of planes (perhaps at 90% of their capacity). They fly and kill enemies. I still have 284 air units in the National Reserve

I said I wanted to have (per front) 1 x IAD + 1 x BAD etc. etc. I have that.

Maybe from now on I might have (per front) 2 x IAD + 2 BAD etc. etc.

Oh, as for the modern western planes (P-40 etc.), I haven't assigned any of them. They are still in the National Reserve. I think I should assign at least one of these units to each Front (IAD Air Bases). Yes, that's what I will be doing in the next future.

Post #: 1072
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/23/2011 10:33:43 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Notice these guys, assigned to Bryansk Front. The IL-2s even managed to shot down an enemy plane. Double ration of vodka!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 6/23/2011 10:34:49 PM >

Post #: 1073
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/23/2011 10:37:01 PM   
TulliusDetritus

And possibly the best fighter squadron. Attached to the National Reserve. I might send them to the front with modern planes though

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1074
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/27/2011 11:31:51 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Turn 55

2 july 1942

Well, good news. I have harvested LOTS of Guards units this turn. I don't remember exactly the Guards rule but I suspect I had the maximum number of Guards allowed (until x date, I guess): 57 Guards Rifle Divisions (by the end of Blizzard, in fact I think I had harvested 2 or 3 after the winter).

The thing is now I have 82 Guards Rifle Divisions! From the 58th to the 82nd, all them harvested on THIS turn

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1075
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/27/2011 11:39:09 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I think the recently arrived Italians will be supposed to cover the Dneprowhatever town area. They should protect -in my very wise, but totally subjective, opinion- the flanks of the advancing Panzers... Or 2ndACR does not trust the minor allies? Chicken!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1076
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/28/2011 12:00:30 AM   
TulliusDetritus

In the Velikie Luki area aka Panzer Threat #1, 2ndACR keeps advancing. And we can't have that

Therefore I mass:

- 2 x Guards Rifle Corps (the ones I had created on these last 2 turns)
- 1 x Guards Cavalry Corps
- several divisions of the 2nd and 3rd Shock, 4th Army and Volkhov Reserves

... and the aforementioned troglodyte...

A success.

Notice the high number of Soviet planes flying. Only 4 German fighters appear...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1077
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/28/2011 12:27:31 AM   
TulliusDetritus

And look at Orel

Captured by the fascists during the Blitzkrieg, recaptured during the Blizzard Massacres. Manpower = 13. Damage is now down to only 29. Almost repaired! Let's hope I don't lose this city during the summer!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1078
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/28/2011 9:08:19 AM   
randallw

You can also put units into reserve mode, such as rifle corps resting behind the immediate front line.

A rifle corps unexpectedly joining a defensive battle will be an unhappy surprise for 2ACR.

Post #: 1079
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 6/28/2011 9:30:53 PM   
TulliusDetritus

That's indeed an option, Randall

But so far I only have 2 [Guards] Rifle Corps. This turn I'll be creating the 3rd one. These corps are attached to "important" Stavka Reserve Armies: Shock and Guards. Given that I have few, I want them to be active, not passive. This means if I see a weak spot in the enemy advance, just like I did on these 3 last turns in this Velikie Luki area, I will use the Corps as an offensive tool. And of course, after these attacks, I pull them back. Therefore NOT enough MPs to be used as "reserve". In other words, if I want them to be a defensive tool I should NOT use them offensively in the first place. And I think I prefer to choose WHERE and WHEN they will be fighting, as opposed to a random decision.

Now, I am reaching a new frontier. Once all of my "important" armies will have a Guards Rifle Corps each, I have to think what's my next objective. I could of course start creating one rifle corps in EVERY army... Especially in active Fronts. But this means they would be sort of stuck: imagine the Germans attack elsewhere.

So I have been thinking that perhaps the next Rifle Corps should be assigned to Stavka itself: strategic Reserves that is. This would give me more FLEXIBILITY. I could send these rifle corps to any place, to reinforce a defence / attack. So that's what I will be doing methinks. Two or three or maybe four Corps would be perhaps enough. Only after that I might start creating corps in every army.

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 1080
Page:   <<   < prev  33 34 35 [36] 37   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  33 34 35 [36] 37   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI